Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

New Futurama season less than a month away. I can’t wait.

I have discovered Glee. This is good, because my favorite series, Numb3rs, was cancelled this season. sob

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010

New Futurama season less than a month away. I can’t wait.

I’m practically squeeing with excitement.

I’ve noticed something. On TV, if a white family is religious, they are almost always either Catholic or Jewish. This only goes for the main family though. I find this strange/interesting.

That’s because Catholicism is “different” from “normal” WASP America, and is therefore “special” and “new” and “unique”. You’ll find the third most-used religion is hard-right-wing Protestantism, but only if the family is villainous or a side character.

but only if the family is villainous or a side character.

Yes, I’ve noticed that too. They’re always either evil, annoyingly nice, sort of dumb/slow, or very prudish.

They’re always either evil, annoyingly nice, sort of dumb/slow, or very prudish.

Very true. They may also be homophobic, racist, or anti-intelligence/science.

Also, if a family is not religious, it’s implied that they’re Episcopalian or Anglican or something, because they represent “normal” America. Which is true to a certain extent, but it means that the TV people think that, in order to show that the family is not Protestant, they have to show them practicing their faith. Which means they make the family religious.

Personally, I’d like to see a show where they all have to celebrate Lent. Closest I’ve gotten is The Vicar of Dibley, because she accurately portrays the harrows of chocoholism.

Last thing I watched was re-runs of Firefly. Because I showed my Auntie Dr Horrible. And she was like: “Hey, I know that guy!”

And so then she made me watch Firefly. And I must try to find the seasons at my library or something.

And I must try to find the seasons at my library or something.

Unfortunately, it’s just one season.

Unfortunately, it’s just one season.

Damn. The good shows never last.

Personally, I’d like to see a show where they all have to celebrate Lent

Oh, they did this on The Brothers Garcia, which was this show on Nickelodeon. Everyone in the family had to pick what they were giving up for Lent.

I may have to watch that, although I don’t have TV anymore. Obvious question: are the brothers Garcia Hispanic? Because Hispanic=Catholic in Hollywood land.

Yes, they are Hispanic. And that is rather stereotypical, but they did do Lent, so it was authentic. I thought it was a decent show though. I liked it. American Dreams did a good job with Catholicism, I think, in portraying it. I’m not Catholic though, so I wouldn’t really know how accurate it was.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010 edited

I haven’t seen American Dreams. The Sound of Music does a good job, as does the murder series Cadfael. They’re both pre-Vatican II, though, and I haven’t seen any good portrayals of modern Catholics.

American Dreams takes place in the sixties. The first episode ends with the Kennedy assassination.

That would have been just after Vatican II. That would actually be an interesting time period, because of the crossover from Latin to English and the relaxation of a lot of rules.

I’m practically squeeing with excitement.

Same here, except replace “practically” with “actually.”

Me and my brother are on the season 1 finale of The Wire. The show’s even better the second time through, since you can better pick out the cleverer subtleties. For example, one of the plot threads that emerges near the end of S1 is about somebody in the detail ratting out any breaks in the investigation to the deputy of operations(which typically screws up whatever said break is, since the higher-ups don’t give a damn about the case), and it took me by surprise the first time I watched. This time, though, I noticed all sorts of almost invisible cues from the guy who ends up being the rat, and having a better understanding of his character now makes it obvious that he’d be the guy to do it.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010 edited

New Futurama yayayayay happy happy joy joy happy happy joy. Why did they even cancel it in the first place? Damn you Fox.

I’ve heard very good things about The Wire and want to watch it. There’s probably too many good shows I never gave a chance or haven’t gotten around to watching. I don’t think The Wire has aired in Australia at all so illegally downloading it I go!

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

I don’t think The Wire has aired in Australia

Actually, I saw an ad for The Wire on my TV… I think it’s in ABCwhatevernumber or SBS...?

Good luck finding it, but it’s not for the faint of heart.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010

Wish you told me that about a month earlier… watched 1 episode and never returned to watch it again.

Yeah, it’s definitely not for kids… and probably not for many adults.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010

Many would agree with you there, sansa.

Final episode of current Bones season coming up. D:

Yeah, it’s definitely not for kids… and probably not for many adults.

What does it say about me that I’m suddenly more interested?

You’re a high school grad now, NP, so I have no reservations recommending it to you. Obligatory warning though: It contains violence(very graphic in maybe one instance, but no brains flying out or anything like that), drug use, extremely strong language, and occasional nudity.

What you should really be wary of is the existential hopelessness/despair that lies beneath most of the plots and character arcs. The cops can’t ever truly win, since drugs are essentially a force of nature, and their struggles are ultimately just pissing in the wind. The dealers can’t ever really win either. They either quit The Game(not that The Game, although you just lost it), or they eventually get got, since it only takes one error to end up dead or in prison.

It’s also committed to realism to the point that the various plots don’t finish tied up in a little bow. It’s not like a show such as, say, Dexter, where they spend a season setting up a plot and then it all falls into place. Resolutions are always jagged at best.

There’s a sort of beauty to the despair, though. It’s probably the only TV show I would consider to be a work of real art.

But yeah, I’d say give the first season a try if you think you’d be interested. I can hook you up if you can’t get access to it.

^^It is probably available for rental, no?

Oh, that’s a fair point. Obviously I associate with too many pirates.

I am far too afraid of getting caught to do things like that. :) I did check Hulu and Netflix, but it was not streaming. Blockbuster has it on their website, so it probably has it in the store too, especially since it is all acclaimed and such.

EDIT:
    And I just checked with the zip code thing, and mine does carry season 1 at least. They are checked out, but it will be there at some point.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010 edited

Yeah, but it had pretty turrible ratings relative to its quality(most of the cast is black, and the closest thing to the standard white male lead is an almost insufferable asshole[which we the viewers love him for, but it’s tough to market]).

Nevermind, you got it.

Yeah, and I checked all of the seasons, and they have ‘em all. So yay for me. I don’t have to be a pirate.

That’s kind of remarkable that it got terrible ratings and was on for five seasons.

Yeah, I don’t really know how they stayed on. I guess the execs at HBO decided to bite that bullet. I do know that they weren’t able to get funding for a spin-off(which would’ve been called The Hall, and dealt with the political aspect of the Baltimore drug war) because The Wire’s ratings weren’t high enough, so they ended up merging the proposed plots with those already in the show. I’m okay with that, though, since the overall story has some crazy sprawl to it in the later seasons as it is.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010 edited

I dont like the sound of the merging proposed plots with those already in the show thing. I hate it when the original plans for a storyline are altered because of problems with the medium that is television (and probably other mediums, too). Be it actors they couldnt get or the show getting cancelled or popularity making it go for longer etc. I guess Arrested Development might have benefitted from being cancelled and having enough time to finish it properlly and make some good 4th wall jokes. But I’ll probably still eventually try out The Wire.

I just watched the latest episode of Glee. I have to admit that the adults’ acting is brilliant, and this episode was really good at capturing pent-up emotion, but it was a little over-the-top dramatic for me.

Anyone else watch Glee? I recommend it, as long as you don’t mind the constant Firefly effect.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I finished the first season of Legend of the Seeker. The finale was creepy, with the whole demon-child thing. Anyway. My sister recommended Prison Break to me, so I might try that soon.

I finished the first season of Legend of the Seeker. The finale was creepy, with the whole demon-child thing.

That’s my brother’s favorite show! He keeps me up to date on it, though mainly about Richard and Kahlan’s love life.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Haha. So forbidden, and all that. It really gets on my nerves.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I do, SmartAlien.

I think it’s amusing in its campiness, but there are definite issues with the writing being too heavy-handed. Althoguh super funny.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010

This pic is too big to fit in hidden tags and otherwise would destroy the thread.

that was pretty awesome. Too bad I dont know half the people. Arrested Development seemed to get quite a bit of love. I dont really get why it has a lot of people from movies though if its TV.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

It originated on /tv/ which is film and television on You Know Where.

Otherwise, it was totally awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Otherwise, it was totally awesome.

I agree.

This pic is too big to fit in hidden tags and otherwise would destroy the thread.

OMG NPH WAS IN THAR. hehehhe. My day is complete.

The Wire had Assistant Dean, Corporate Raiding, and Transitional Business Management. Awwwww yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Through the whole bit I was giggling and such, but when I saw Groundskeeper Willie, the laughs came.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Simon and Giles and Summer and Michael Scott and NPH and Jan Itor are on there.

I approve. :D

Bill Nye the Science Guy was maintenance. My life is complete.

Decided to check out what True Blood’s about, and I’m currently watching a bull goring some pagan girl.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

NUMB3RS WAS CANCELED??????

NUMB3RS WAS CANCELED??????

So says the Numb3rs page on Facebook. They cut the number of episodes down to sixteen and the ratings are way, way down.

Decided to check out what True Blood’s about, and I’m currently watching a bull goring some pagan girl.

Is it any good? I have to watch it as my end of a show exchange agreement with my brother and I’m not that enthused, since his ability to judge quality varies wildly.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

HOW DO RATINGS GO DOWN? IT HAS TO DO WITH THE NINE O CLOCK SLOT TIME, BECAUSE APPARENTLY SHITTY SITCOMS ARE ONLY GOOD! DAMN SITCOMS. JUST ANOTHER REASON TO KILL THEM ALL.

I have on my rageface now. Excuse the caps lock please.

^^Take a deep breath and count to ten.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE PLETHORA OF WAYS THAT DOES NOT WORK?

Um… counting reminds you of numbers, which reminds you of NUMB3RS and all of your heart-wrenching pain?

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

MORE THAN THAT. COUNTING TO TEN FRUSTRATES ME BECAUSE IT DOES NO GOOD.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010

Burn Notice is baaaaaaack!

B-But… NOOOOOOO! MINISTER OF SEXY HAIR COME BACK!! NUMB3RS IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE CANCELED! ;.;

MINISTER OF SEXY HAIR COME BACK!!

You still remember that?! :D

...will you marry me?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010

Pilot of Glee. Don’t like any of the characters so far.

Don’t like any of the characters so far.

Apparently, they did that on purpose. The characters gain a ton of sympathy as the plot goes on; there’s a reason why they’re all listed as Woobies on the TV Tropes page.

You still remember that?! :D

Of course I do! :P It made me laugh so hard when I first read it…
    Glee... Well, Finn is cute, but stupid, and Rachael is just a pain in the ass. Plus, the series gets worse as it goes along. Don’t bother with it, Puppet.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Skip over everything but most of the songs and Sue’s parts, and you’ll have a good Glee experience. Otherwise, don’t really bother.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I watched the 4-5 eps and have decided that Glee is a waste of my time. I want to reach into the screen and strangle every single one of the characters.

Well, Finn is cute, but stupid, and Rachael is just a pain in the ass.

That’s on purpose. It’s a deconstruction of the “misunderstood jock” and “beautiful ingénue” trope. Think of it as High School Musical, but set in a reality where people don’t spontaneously burst into song and no one is a Sue. Troy would be stupid. Gabriella would be freakin’ annoying (well, she already is, but not in-universe). All the characters have their good traits and bad traits (Kurt is practically the poster boy for this), and the show tries to show you that. But with humor.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Kurt has very few redeeming qualities, especially in the back nine.

Back nine?

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Episodes. The ones that started up after the winter break.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Prison Break. It’s scary but interesting.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

The first season is the best, and the second is just as good. After that, mileage varies but it never gets unwatchable.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’m about halfway through season 1 and wondering exactly how they’re going to milk this storyline for another three seasons. But it’s been recommended to me by a lot of people, so I’ll probably stick it out.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Well it stays fairly contained through the end of season 2, but around 3ish the mythos is expanded a lot, and the quality varies. At least stick around for William Fichtner in the second season, he steals the show.

Glee’s gay kid made me want to go hurt gays.

The Boondocks and FMA:B are the only ongoing shows on AS that are of any worth.

Aw, I love the Burt/Kurt moments. It’s just when he’s in school and being a creepy stalker that I don’t like him.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010

Has anyone seen The Vampire Diaries? My friends are all forcing me to watch it and I’m not looking forward to the prospect.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Yeah, there are some major similarities between Vampire Diaries and Twilight, but it’s not nearly as bad. At least they actually explain why the vamps aren’t hurt by sunlight (and they don’t sparkle), and have a villain who’s, you know, evil and does stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

YAY.

Even though season 3 ended pretty completely, I’m super excited about them renewing it. I really enjoyed Trochwood, especially towards the end.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

The IT crowd is brilliant. I <3 Richmond. :D

Last thing I watched was an episode of How I Met Your Mother. Barney was going back and visiting a bunch of girls he slept with to find the one who’s trying to sabotage his efforts to hook up with random people. It was mildy amusing.

Just watched his character, and I’ll agree with the above.

Just watched his character, and I’ll agree with the above.

B-b-but, the emotion! All the damn time! How can you dislike that?

I actually saw a Boy Meets World that I had never seen before. It made me happy. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010

Watched all of Glee. The only characters I like are Quinn and Noah, I kinda want to punch all the other characters in the face. Especially Kurt.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

You don’t even love Brittany? She’s hilarious.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Brittany is okay, too. But I can’t stand any of the other characters.

Watched all of Glee.

A feat even I haven’t managed. I salute you, Puppet. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2010

Brittany is okay, too. But I can’t stand any of the other characters.

But…but…but Kurt. :C

Okay, admittedly probably about half the reason I like Kurt is because I love Chris Colfer.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

But…but…but Kurt. :C

...No. NO NO NO NO WHY ELANOR WHY? NOW WE CAN NEVER BE FRIENDS.

Even if Kurt wasn’t gay, he would still be a tremendous douchebag.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Even if Kurt wasn’t gay, he would still be a tremendous douchebag.

But I want to cuddle him. :C

Okay, admittedly, the last half of the season? I have been perpetually wanting to punch Kurt in the face so he can stop doing STUPID THINGS like CRUSHING ON FINN and being REALLY REALLY INSECURE, but the whole reason he acts stupid is because he’s insecure, and I can’t actually punch him in the face for that because I do the precise same thing. :C

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

He wasn’t so bad in the first half, the second half of the season… >.>

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

He wasn’t so bad in the first half, the second half of the season… >.>

Yeah, I’ll agree with you there. :/

But—Quinn! Puck! I love them both.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

But—Quinn! Puck! I love them both.

Yes. :D

Puck is a douchebag, but he’s a douchebag in the right ways. The difference between Puck and the other characters is that Puck realizes that he is a douchebag.

I really didn’t like Quinn at the beginning – she reminded me too much of bullies I’ve known. And she still sounds vaguely nasal and mean, but I’m defrosting to her.

Puck, on the other hand, is sexy but mean.

Then again, they all have faults, don’t they? I mean:

Rachel: Good singer with low self-esteem, but arrogant and bossy.
    Finn: Generally kind, but caves to peer pressure and is stupid.
    Puck: Sexy, and genuinely caring when he wants to, but throws kids in dumpsters.
    Quinn: Really constricted by her family and is alone with a baby (also nice to Mercedes), but still condescending.
    Kurt: Insecure, but stalkerish as hell.
    Tina: Shy to the point of faking a stutter, but faked a stutter.
    Artie: Generally a nice person, but there was that one episode where he was kinda misogynistic.
    Matt and Mike: Bland background people with no souls.

I actually like how they balance things out so that they don’t turn into Sues.

Bland background people with no souls.

Heh. I haven’t even seen the show, but just about every show has those people.

Not THE WIRE.

Not MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010

I’m addicted to Lark Rise to Candleford. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it, but only had time to catch an episode now and then on television. But I found the complete first and second season at my library and I’ve been watching an episode a day.

Funny, but I love Victorian drama and hate Victorian romance. I like that Lark Rise focuses more on social issues than romance, and doesn’t portray romances as flamboyantly as Jane Austen stories, for example.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010

Criminal Minds, I love you. Especially you Reed. Be my boytoy please.

Reid is MINE. Have you not seen my profile thread?