Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Someone mentionen on another thread that there is no general TV thread. There are some for specific shows or for the worst/best shows, but not just a general one for anything. So here it is. All things TV can be discussed here. Ask questionas about TV shows, announce cool shows that you like. Angst about shows that are canceled. Whatever. So, I’ll start.

There is a new show coming on today called Defying Gravity. It’ll premiere at 9/8 central on ABC. It stars Ron Livingston, Daisy Adair Laura Harris, Christina Cox, Andrew Airlie, Paula Garces, Peter Howitt, and other people, but I’m tired of listing them.

It looks sort of interesting, but what’s weird is that it has barely been advertised at all. I’ve seen one ad. A bunch of articles say that it’s a summer show, but it’s premiering tonight. That sounds more like a fall show that’s starting early. I’m hoping it’s not just like all the other crap on TV but in space. I have high hopes, but I shouldn’t.

Okay, so talk about whatever TV stuff you wish.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009 edited

I’m currently watching Rescue Me, Burn Notice, Warehouse 13, Castle, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien.

I just started Buffy, because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Favorite shows of all time: The Simpsons, Arrested Development, Firefly, Whose Line is it Anyway.

Edit: .. and Dr. Horrible’s Sing Along Blog!!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009

Lately, I’ve been watching Being Human on BBC America. I’m only 2 episodes in, but it looks like a good show.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009 edited

I just started Buffy, because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

:D :D :D :D

Once More, With Feeling!

Actually, the later episodes aren’t particularly very good. And that whole season with Riley? Eugh. Whilst Riley was nice it was the Other Plot that was lame as.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’m only on the third episode and… eh, I’m not very impressed. The whole high school thing, the cringe-worthy one liners, the utterly horrible fight choreography.

But I’m sticking it through because it has ‘Joss Whedon’ in the credits.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

That’s how I felt too, Virgil, but once it introduces Spike, Drusilla, and the other baddie of the 2nd season, it becomes infinitely more awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah, I heard the same. We’ll see.

Anyone watching Dollhouse?

I saw a few episodes of Dollhouse a while ago. While it had some interesting ideas and characters, I just couldn’t get into the whole thing.

NCIS, Scrubs, Gilmore Girls, and South Park.

Is Burn Notice any good?

My sister said it's good, I've never watched it. I really only watch Monk and Psych, which return on Friday!

Monk used to be good, but then I got bored of it.

I don’t watch much of Psych, but it looks really cute.

Psych is hilarious. A really good episode is the one where they investigate the (national?) spelling bee. You should watch it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Burn Notice is great. Especially the most recent episode.

I should get into it then.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

You should.

@Apep
    Being Human does sound interesting.

three apparent twenty-something characters sharing a house in Bristol,

They all live in a house inside Sarah Palin’s daughter? (That popped into my head when I read that, sorry.)

It does sound really different though. I’ll have to check it out.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Uh, Bristol is a city in the south of England…

Hey, don’t blame us for yous celebrities picking weird names.

I know it’s a city… and I figured it was in England because the show is on the BBC. I just said it because that’s the first thought I had when I saw the word “Bristol.” Now I know where she might have gotten the name at least.

My cousin said TV shows in England are much better than those in the US when she visited England, and much less conservative.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Depends, we only send you our good stuff.

We got a loada crud too.

What's the good stuff? I've never watched any shows from across the pond.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Huh, apart from Doctor Who and its spin-offs, there isn’t really any recent good stuff.

Ashes to Ashes, Life On Mars, Spooks… sheesh, most everything is a reality show nowadays. >>

I hate reality shows. I'm trying to remember what my cousin watched and told me about. Pretty sure she watched Dr. Who.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Reality shows and documentaries, which is fiiiiine every now and then, but, sheesh, I want TALENT.

Well yes, documentaries are fine, but for the most part I, too, want talent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Unless it’s cooking shows with Rick Stein or James Martin.

One for the lovely soothing voice, the other for pretties.

They can show those all the time, thankyouverymuch.

Well I have never seen those, so I can't judge.
    I can't think of a really good reality show in America.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I only like Hell’s Kitchen because everyone is a dingbat and Ramsay screams his head off twice an episode. Its funny, and I like to cook.

Never watched Hell's Kitchen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

If you like cooking and a British guy screaming insults at idiotic and pretentious Americans.. its perfect. And there’s a Dutch guy.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Ugh, Ramsey’s a dick. I can’t stand him. There are better chefs out there. <<

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Ramsay is a dick, in the same way House is- well no, House is witty and mocking, Ramsay is a dick. I enjoy it regardless.

I think his screaming would get old after a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

A tad. I’m sure that a little longer and I won’t watch it, but, yeah.

I’d like to join in on the hating reality shows. They have taken over in America too. They stay on forever, while good, original shows are canceled.

I just finished watching the premiere of Defying Gravity, and I thought that it was pretty good. It has potential. I actually like two characters, which is more than I can say for most shows, and am only mildly annoyed at two others. It was good compared to a lot of what’s on television now. It’ll probably get canceled, unless it becomes crap, at which point, I will no longer enjoy it. It’s an international show, so if it’s canceled, maybe it’ll be on BBC or something.

I’ve never watched Hell’s Kitchen either. I think that Ramsay would annoy me, although House is awesome. =)

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Most likely the contestants will annoy you before Ramsay.

That too. I don’t like to watch annoying people on TV. They can’t hear me yell at them. Except when being annoying causes them misery in an amusing way, like this show where idiots try to remodel their houses and always screw up. Then it’s funny.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Or those arrogant pricks on Ninja Warrior who always end up landing on their face from a two story fall. Its immensely satisfying.

I’ve never seen that either. What is it exactly?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Its a bunch of Japanese people doing some very physically challenging obstacle courses. Some of it is insane, but that was only a training video.

Wow. I like Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. The voice overs are hillarious… sometimes.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009

:( I miss Ninja Warrior. I wish I still had G4.

Ninja Warrior is the greatest thing to ever air on television.

^^Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Yeah, the reality shows are aaaall over the airwaves here, too. shudders

I watch Doctor Who and Merlin, of the shows that are on right now. I kinda follow Bones.

(The BBC wins at Life. Seriously.)

Currently am in the middle of watching TOS, and am having great fun mocking it while loving it to bits.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

We have some decent comedy as well, like Mitchell and Webb, Armstrong and Miller, Mock the Week and HIGNFY.
    And Dead Ringers was hilarious, when it was still on.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited

HIGNFY is awesome.

I still enjoy it without Angus Deayton, but, not so much.

What’s HIGNFY about?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Have I Got News For You, it’s a satire show about current news. Scripted, but, full of funnies. Mainly thanks to the team captains, Ian Hislop and Paul Merton.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

The Onion has great satirical news as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Eh, different. It’s done in the form of a competition: caption contests, spot the odd one out, etc.

I think you’d like it, Virgil. >:D

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I see. I will look into this.

I recently discovered QI, which is immensely funny.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Ah, yes, in the vein of QI. :D

Stephen Fry <3

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hehe.

How many moons does the Earth have? ... one. klaxon

I love The Colbert Report.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

If you’re interested in HIGNFY, you should watch last year’s BRIAN BLESSED episode.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Lol, ok, BRIAN BLESSED.

@QC: I like the Daily Show better, but Colbert is very funny as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

It’s BRIAN BLESSED.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

QI! Yes! Stephen Fry, pretty much anything that man does, I will worship.

Has anyone else here watched Jeeves and Wooster? much love

How could I forget?! Flight of the Conchords.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited

Another hater of reality TV here. I don’t even believe its authenticity. Somehow I doubt real people would act as badly as they do on reality TV if they knew their behavior was being recorded by omnipresent cameras.

I rarely watch TV these days, but when I do, the kind of shows that interest me are nature documentaries and cartoons.

Speaking of cartoons, I’ve been watching Avatar on Megavideo with my little brother. As far as I can tell, it’s the most overrated show that I’ve seen in my life.

Ugh. I hate Avatar.

I think it’s a good show, though I’ll agree that the fans overpraise it.

I don’t watch TV often, most of my viewing is via the Internet. I’ve seen most episodes of How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory. I haven’t seen any NCIS lately, but I’m quite fond of it. Anyone else think Gibbs is a total BAMF?

Overrated, maybe, but Avatar is pretty good if you ignore the not-so-great to crap episodes that make up 1/4, 1/3 or maybe even 1/2 of the episodes. It has too many stand-alone episodes that have some lame stuff in them.
    But the mythology of the show, the overall plot, the super real characters, the subtle humor, the awesome fight scenes, the art and the animation make the show great. Really great.
    And I love it when creators of shows can poke fun at themselves, like the play episode. They are also pretty funny at comic cons, making fun of "shipping" and stuff.

I usually have the TV on for background noise, but I hardly ever properly watch anything. Any shows I actually really care about I download or stream, like Lost, Supernatural, Dexter, Scrubs, 30 Rock, The Big Bang Theory.

At the moment I'm mostly just watching anime. Does that count as TV shows? Right now I'm on Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

Anyone else think Gibbs is a total BAMF?

Hell yeah.

Also, The Chaser’s War on Everything.

I love those guys.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I enjoy Would I Lie To You?, which starts its third series on Monday. I love both David Mitchell and Lee Mack, so it’s perfect for me.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Overrated, maybe, but Avatar is pretty good if you ignore the not-so-great to crap episodes that make up 1/4, 1/3 or maybe even 1/2 of the episodes. It has too many stand-alone episodes that have some lame stuff in them.
    But the mythology of the show, the overall plot, the super real characters, the subtle humor, the awesome fight scenes, the art and the animation make the show great. Really great.
    And I love it when creators of shows can poke fun at themselves, like the play episode. They are also pretty funny at comic cons, making fun of “shipping” and stuff.

Yeah, about 80-90% of the first season sucked, the second season was a little better, it had some really amazing episodes, Crossroads of Destiny really surprised me when I saw it. The the third season started off a little rocky, but the Bloodbending episode was really good, as was the Southern Raiders, and the final battle made up for all of it.

The fight scenes and characters are just amazing, I do agree that it is overrated as a whole, but you can find some really amazing episodes in there, and overall, I think it did really good for a children’s cartoon. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited

The Chaser’s War on Everything makes me wheeze with laughter again. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6j2RNwD5NY

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Lol.

A homosexual, adulterous, fortune-telling dwarf. Hahaha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

ROLF.

Rolf?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah, from Ed, Edd, and Eddy. Duh.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

No, Rolf Harris. He has a didgeridoo.

What’s a BAMF?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

BadAss MotherFucker

OHHHH.

Gotcha.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Otherwise known as Samuel L. Jackson.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Its also the sound Nightcrawler makes when he teleports.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Also King Leonidas.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009

Chuck Norris, anyone?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Batman!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Batman is my favorite superhero. Because someone like that could actually exist in our world. Well, and the everyone in Watchmen.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Thanks to talking to Dr. A. about melting into puddles, did anyone else used to watch the uber!awesome Secret World of Alex Mack? :D

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009

I love Burn Notice. It rocks.

At the moment I’m mostly just watching anime. Does that count as TV shows? Right now I’m on Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Holy duodenu—oh.

I haven’t really gotten around to seeing very much of “Brotherhood.”

It looks good, but my problem is that it was supposedly made to be more accurate to the manga. Being a fan of the manga, I, quite simply, flipped out. So when I saw the first episode, it was jarring.

If you read the manga…tell me it gets better? Please?

It get much better after the first few episodes, especially when it gets to the Xing arc.

Yay!

I’ll go watch now.

Fortunately, I won’t blame you for shattering my hope I mean, making me lose time on summer homework er, in my opinion, Riza Hawkeye is awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009

mumblemumbleonlineanimemumblemumbleillegalmumble.

mumblemumble BITTORRENT mumblemumble illegal mumble.

mumblemumbleonlineanimemumblemumbleillegalmumble.

That’s nothing to be ashamed of!

mumblemumble BITTORRENT mumblemumble illegal mumble.

And nor is that! I noticed very quickly after arriving that there are no televisions here. So it’s fine.

Disappears two weeks later due to legal action taken against me.

mumblemumblecompaniesarestreaminganimemumblemumble legal mumble

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009 edited

@ hmyd.windmere (how do you quote someone? Is that what whispering is?)

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT BUT I DON'T THINK THEY REALLY COUNT AS SPOILERS!! AT LEAST NOT TO hmyd.windmere WHO THIS MESSAGE IS FOR!!

Yes I am a huge fan of the manga having read it all so far, and Brotherhood does follow the manga almost exactly. Sadly though it does skip some parts. So far it's skipped the Elric brothers stopping those terrorists on the train, the mining town incident (and yet the previous owner of the deed still plays his part in the story joining Scar), and they shortened some things like when Al first meets the chimeras he doesn't run around to tire them out and when the brothers meet the pickpocket in that automail town they shorten the chase scene and change the location.
    Also they removed Edward creating the giant statue of Leto to stop the priest, which is meant to be briefly mentioned when they return to that town but it hardly matters at all. Oh and they removed the guy trying to kill them on the island during their month of training flashback.

So yeah I like Brotherhood a lot more than the original anime series, though I watched Brotherhood before it. While missing and changed things are a bit disappointing, it has a completely different better feel to it and a better overall storyline. Probably better animation and drawings. I quite liked the completely random irrelevant first episode of filler.

But it seems other people already told you it was good and you've probably already started watching it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009

mumblemumblecompaniesarestreaminganimemumblemumble legal mumble

mumblemumbledamnyouandyourmumblecounterargumentsmumble.

I was a big fan of FMA during its initial run on [as]. I never really got that far in the manga. I’ve been following the new series out of curiosity, and it’s pretty good now that it’s gotten past the overlap with the first series. It’s my first exposure to the original VAs, although they sound pretty similar to the American ones anyway.

Valkyria Chronicles is the only other ongoing anime I’m following atm. I enjoy it, even though I’m not convinced it improves on the game much, if any. Not sure a love triangle needed to be shoehorned in, and my favorite character didn’t even make it into the show ;_;

Also, everybody should watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann at least once. If you haven’t, you should drop what you are doing and watch it this instant.

Futurama is my favorite English language show. Yay for uncancellation.

I just finished watching the newest Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood episodes 19 and twas the most awesome episode yet. It was the episode where Tons of action and emotion. I really love the music in Brotherhood as well but absolute hated some of the music in the original series.

Sansafro187, you really should read the manga, though I guess just watching Brotherhood will fill you in on everything important enough. But people who watch a lot of anime but don't read manga annoy me a bit. Also people who watch dubbed anime over subbed, even if the sub is alright., annoy me a bit. Even if it is a pretty good dub, something about the voice acting always seems fake and lame to me, but it somehow doesn't when in Japanese.

I'll probably eventually get around to watching the anime you mentioned. I probably should go find a forum specially for anime or Fullmetal Alchemist.

But people who watch a lot of anime but don’t read manga annoy me a bit.

I’m usually an advocate of reading the source manga since 9 times out of 10 it’s better paced, especially with long-running shounen shows. I just rarely, if ever, get too deeply into monthlies because they are too annoying to keep up with compared to weeklies that come out in Jump or what have you.

Also people who watch dubbed anime over subbed, even if the sub is alright., annoy me a bit. Even if it is a pretty good dub, something about the voice acting always seems fake and lame to me, but it somehow doesn’t when in Japanese.

As someone with a pretty decent grasp on the Japanese language, subs are somewhat overrated by many English-speaking fans IMO. As English speakers we are able to see the flaws in English voice acting easily, but it’s much harder to tell when somebody flubs a line in a foreign language unless you’re familiar with the nuances.

I do agree subs have several advantages. There’s a much, much larger pool of professionals, and consequently the quality of the extras is much higher. Leaving it in Japanese also keeps some of the neat characterization details with speech styles(pronouns, verb forms, etc.) that are difficult, if not impossible, to transliterate.

On the other hand, you end up with crap like kid Goku having the same voice as adult Goku, and I don’t know how anybody could take that seriously.

A few random animes, Charmed, Buffy, The Daily Shoe with Jon Stewart, Psych, Monk, and Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog.