Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009

Personally, I’m a cat person. I like the independence and personality they have, which is much more apparent than dogs. But there are some dogs whose company I enjoy.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I hate dogs. They scare me.

I prefer birds and reptiles to either cats or dogs.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

With the exception of snakes, I don’t like birds or reptiles. All they do is make noise and are caged. Snakes are cool because you can pick them up and carry them around and feel very very evil.

Birds kind of scare me for some reason. Don’t like things that are scaly, so that rules out lizards and snakes. Fish are incredibly boring.

I like cats the most, personally, but dogs are nice too.

I love my cat very much. Dogs are charming, but they ruin everything.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited

I love dogs the best (unconditional love!), and I would love cats if I weren’t allergic. Birds seems to just make noise and poop, and snakes are just cold. I have no explanation for why people have pet tarantulas.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009

I love cats, although they make me sneeze. Birds are awesome because they fly, reptiles are like dinosaurs and therefore similarly awesome, and all insects and archnids are creepy, hairy, move in that skittering way and make my skin crawl, and must therefore be destroyed.

I love my dog, and she loves everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Cats. Dogs are infinitely loving and loyal, but often so much so that they make me feel guilty about not playing with them all the time. Cats are quiet, independent, affectionate at times, and rather pretty.

I generally don’t like any pets that you can’t handle without the danger of being injured. Birds, snakes, and spiders fall into this category.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Cats are fun because they require a minimum amount of active care, but are still way fun to be with.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Don’t they shed and scratch a lot?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Shed, yes. Scratch, occasionally. I’m willing to make the sacrifice. Besides, dogs smell. Almost always, they smell icky and doggish. And cats almost never do.

One day, I will buy a hypoallergenic cat, once I am rich enough to shell out a couple grand.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Most dogs shed as well.

snakes are just cold.

Cold things can’t feel love. Sorry, I had to.

I love cats. I have four. =) There are a lot of misconceptions about them. They can be just as sweet as dogs. Two of mine follow us around like they’re dogs. I like dogs, but they require a lot of upkeep. They smell, and then when you pet them, you smell. I’ve only maybe one dog that didn’t smell. Cats very rarely smell. If they do, it’s usually their breath because they’ve just eaten. Dogs shed just like cats. Kittens don’t shed, so for several months you get a nice shedless animal. Then they start to shed, but it’s not that bad.

In my experience, cats are smarter than dogs. I have met a few smart dogs, but I’d say the majority of cats are smarter. That’s why you can’t train most of them. They don’t care it you them a treat or not. If they don’t feel like doing something, then they won’t. One of my cats is extremely smart. He always knows when someone is talking about him. Even if we just say, “he.” Two are mine are on the ditzy side, and one is moderately smart, but not as much as the oldest one is. I’d say that our smartest one has about a five or six-year-old intelligence. Most cats have the intelligence of a three-year-old. I read that somewhere, can’t remember where though.

I don’t really like animals that only live a few years (fish, hamsters, small birds, etc.) I don’t want to get attached and have it die in three or four years. Plus, I don’t want anything that has to be in a cage. I want something I can pet and hug and not worry about sucking it up in the vacuum cleaner.

@Alien
    You could get a Sphinx. They are hairless, and usually cat allergies are really cat hair allergies. And have you been around any cats that are strictly indoors? I know someone who was never allergic to my cats (all indoors), but she had a reaction to this other cat that went outside a lot. Sometimes it’s more an allergy to what they roll around in.

Ew, I’ve never liked hairless cats.

Well, if someone’s allergic to cat hair, it might be the only option. I wouldn’t mind one; I don’t really care what they look like. I wouldn’t pay a thousand dollars for one, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009 edited

A grand I think is for the haired cats that are non-allergenic.

Honestly, the fluffier the better for me. But sleek hair is good as well. I just love cats. But not really hairless ones.. that’s kinda like a daemon or something.

I like fluffy cats, but if I found a poor, little hairless kitty, I would take it in. I love them for their beauty, but more for their personalities. An ugly cat can have a good personality. I have two long-haired cats and two short-haired cats.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I’m more of a horse person, myself. I love my little Stella. When I’m older, I’ll definitely have several horses. But my house will probably be a zoo. I’m more of a cat person than a dog person, so I’ll have one of those, but I also would like a black lab to take duck hunting. And I imagine that I’ll have 2-4 rugrats of my own running around too. My poor husband.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I will have two cats, no more, no less.

One cat is enough for me, unless I decide to become a crazy cat lady. That could be fun.

I think that you can have as many animals as you want as long as you keep the house up and don’t let the house start to smell. When the house starts to stink, then you need to stop getting animals.

I have some crazy cat ladies in my family. =)

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009

If I had to choose between cats and dogs, it would be cats. Cats remind me of tigers and leopards, two of my favorite carnivorous mammals, yet they’re small enough to not be a threat.

And they don’t smell hideous, they don’t leave masses of coarse hair everywhere, they don’t drool, don’t bark, and don’t knock things over, and they can curl up on your lap when you’re reading.

^^ My dog doesn't do any of that. She only barks if someones rings the doorbell.

I envy you.

She knocked things over when we first got her, but she was three months old.

There are exceptions to every rule, QC. =) My cats have knocked things over before, but that was because they jumped on things that they weren’t supposed to. They don’t do it a lot though. You don’t have train cats much either. Their moms do most of that.

Good. :) The worst she does now is eat our neighbor's cat food.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited

Lol.^^

I read in one book that a good way to train cats is to squirt them with a water gun when they do something bad…

^^ My cousins did that with their cats. It worked.
    Problem being is that they soon start figuring out when you're going for the water gun and scamper off before you can correct them. Sneaky little critters.
    But I love 'em. Cats are so much fun...dogs really only love you for food. At least mine only does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

scamper off before you can correct them. Sneaky little critters.

Which means they’ve figured out they’re not supposed to do it.

They just do it anyway, because it’s FUN. ;)

Aw. I'm sorry your dog doesn't fully appreciate you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I like cats because they don’t drool, don’t make a lot of noise, don’t run around the house crazily and are quiet and adorable. :)

Seconded, Puppet.

Oh yes, my cat just loves to completely consume houseplants and then is perfectly happy with us pitying her when she throws up all over the place. Poor kitty....love kitty.

Cats are just so quirky and can sometimes be needy. Although they can drool, fyi Puppet. Just generally not as much. *thinks of puddles on the floor left by grandparents' lab* Yuck...

Sometimes mine run around crazily, Puppet. It’s a sign of intelligence that they know not to do something and run away before you can correct them. My little girl kitty does that all the time. She’s too fast to actually correct, but she knows that what she did was bad (mostly getting into stuff and climbing on things).

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I was just playing with 3 cats, they were adorable. =O

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited

[cries]

I don’t have any cats to play with….

stupid family

I'm sorry Virgil. I can't have cats either.

Is it do to allergies or just because they don’t want them?

(Directed to both of you.)

My dad is allergic and I'm not old enough to move out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

They don’t want them. As soon as I do move out though..

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

I feel your catless pain.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkasrain

I have a cat; she was born in my backyard a few years ago, and was just too adorable to ignore. Unfortunately, she has a strong tendency toward viciousness— we often have to shut her in a room when people visit so she won’t attack them. Bizarre as it is, though, I still love the evil little thing… savaged arms, fingers, toes, and all…

Poor cat. And you. :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Better a cat with attitude and personality than a dog. Although some dogs are very unique, most just aren’t.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkasrain

True, she definitely has an attitude! Although sometimes I wish she had a different attitude…

In terms of intelligence, I tend to think that cats have reasoning patterns much closer to ours. Like in a burning house; a dog would mostly react in a loyal-animal manner, ie “Must save people I love!” whereas a cat would be out of there at the first sign of danger. Not nice, maybe, but certainly smarter!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Dogs can be intelligent, but more of a simple way. Cats are sophisticated. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

If I had a dog, it would be one of those trained guard dogs. :P

Dogs can be intelligent, but more of a simple way. Cats are sophisticated.

An intelligent dog can be trained to stay off the furniture. An intelligent cat will quickly get off the furniture when you enter a room.

I like dogs, but I much prefer cats.

Dogs are as intelligent as cats, even more so. Sophistication? I call it egoism— inflated, baseless egoism. :)

I had a Border Collie and we did everything from agility to herding and let me tell you, that dog could read my mind. When I was weeding, he would come over without being asked and dig up the pesky roots. When he heard voices get escalated he stepped between the people and started “talking”. Just looking in his eyes, I saw calculation and lucidity that I’ve never seen in a cat’s eyes.

Maybe when you guys are talking about dogs you mean the inbred mutants that have beady eyes and shiver constantly. Or labs. I’ve had a couple labs and they tend to not think very often.

That said, I have a cat whom I worship. He’s worthless, except as a demigod, and I couldn’t live without him.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I think as a personal preference, if you would rather live with someone that could read your thoughts and almost always did as told and was generally submissive (not in a bad way), or to a more independent, egotistic, and sophisticated personality that does as it pleases. While neither of these traits I would want in a person I’m living with, but as for pets, I’d rather have most cats.

Though some cats are just dicks, even still.

Are you asking me which I would prefer?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

No. I’m just saying that’s how people decide.

Hmm, we differ.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

That’s half the point of these forums.

Its a moot point, I don’t really have a cat or dog. :3

What’s the other half?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Writing.

So half of the time it’s writing and half of the time it’s having differences of opinion. So where is the part where we worship the cats?

Dogs are as intelligent as cats, even more so. Sophistication? I call it egoism— inflated, baseless egoism. :)

Is “egoism” referring to cats or the people who like them? If it’s about cats, then you are correct. I believe that a lot of dogs are smart, but I just think that cats think for themseleves more. Maybe it’s just that dogs have more of a need to please rather than lack intelligence to not do what their master tells them. I don’t know. I’ve just met more smart cats than smart dogs (I have met stupid cats too, but less than dogs.) I wouldn’t say that dogs are smarter just because they follow commands have been trained though. The average cat or dog may have about the same intelligence and just use it for different purposes (dogs to please humans, cats to please themselves). And you’re right about labs. They are sort of doofy and ditzy, not that I dislike them. They’re a little too hyper for me as well.

So half of the time it’s writing and half of the time it’s having differences of opinion. So where is the part where we worship the cats?

I believe a portion of this thread is devoted to that. =)

You are not qualified to tell me my OPINION is correct. Didn’t you even read what half of these topics are about? Lol. (Yes, I was talking about cats.)

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

So where is the part where we worship the cats?

I dunno. In the difference of opinion part. Or in the writing. You write about cats.

NP, you worded out my thoughts perfectly.

Why thank you, Virgil. =)

CATS! All the way. I think Virgil pretty much summed up why in the first post. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

Speaking of dogs, my dad’s super border collie just turned up this morning with three huge gashes on her head and a fractured skull. He thought it might have been because she ran into the new fence, until he found out about the skull. It’s awful, but the vet says she’ll oughta be alright…