Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009 edited

OK, I actually planned to make this before Jeni’s call to action, but whatever.

There is a growing amount of chatspeak in writing, from books that are written as IMs to books written entirely on cell phones.

Is this the dawning of the age of the chatspeak book? Will all novels, or even all written English, evolve into “lmao” and “lol”? Will we become dinosaurs, much like the grannies of today who can’t use computers? Is this the Apocalypse?

I hope not. Most people I know never use chatspeak.

From the reviews, it sounds like a bit of a turd, but I’m not bothered that it’s written in IM. In a way, it’s an evolution of the epistolary format (books written as a series of letters, e.g. dracula). Interesting concept, if pulled off badly.

And yeah, this seems like the next step in the language’s evolution. Is that really a bad thing? I say “lol” and “lulz” as a way of saying “I am mildly amused” and know several people that do, my point being that it’s seeping out of the internet and mobile phones into the real world. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, because I think just about everyone knows it’s informal and just slang. People know when and where to use it, and unfortunately even the most literate people may sound like a degenerate the moment the whip the phone out and start typing out a text. I don’t think it’s a problem.

• CommentAuthorFenix
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009

I do use some chatspeak, primarily in an in-game chat when it’s actually useful, however I really hate it when people use chat speak on forums and I only frequent forums were that doesn’t happen much. I wouldn’t worry to much by the way, a lot of people seem to at least try and speak decent English instead of chat speak, I’m convinced this chat book thing is just part of a minority culture.

I can’t even comprehend at least 40% of chatspeak.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009

OK, I actually planned to make this before Jeni’s call to action, but whatever.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

While I like evolution in the language (creating new words, etc.), chatspeak seems like a backstep to me. :/ It’s not efficient, it doesn’t carry the same nuances. It came into being because of SMS messages with a character limit, which makes sense. Using it online, or in the written word, doesn’t though. You have space and usually time to type exactly what you mean.

The mobile phone novel sounds interesting, akin to a short story, but still, it seems to me to be very superficial and not able to explore the intricacies present in a Proper Story.

And the ttyl story really does seem to be dumbing teenagers down even futher. Sheesh, we get enough of that in TV, don’t infect the story market.

I despise chatspeak.

Also, My Immortal was written in chatspeak, so the idea is nothing new.

Ttyl by Lauren Myracle—I tend to see it a bit like James Joyce, but on a lowbrow level. It was the first published novel of its kind (I’d never heard of fanfiction when I picked it up, much less My Immortal), and it developed a new level of alternate forms of writing.

That said, if any more books like that flood the market, I shall commit ritual suicide. I hate chatspeak in unnecessary places. I almost always use proper spelling and punctuation in text messages (T9 is a Godsend!). Plus the subject matter was inescapably chick-lit, which I try to pretend doesn’t exist.

I also think that chatspeak will never take over, and smart authors will not include things like ‘lol’ in their writing because eventually, like all slang, it will make the work look dated.

And if the title of this thread is meant for me, I feel loved.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009

Admittedly, I have a bit of a purist, Nazi thing when it comes to languages. (EI, don’t kill me.) But chatspeak just really, really, really grates on my nerves—as Jeni said, it doesn’t allow for the same nuances that proper English does, and you can’t really say anything past about six letters in chatspeak—how in the world would you say “aggravating” in chatspeak? Granted, this would possibly cut out a lot of purple prose, but it would also limit good writing as well. As someone who regularly uses words that garners me odd looks, I dislike the very, very limited vocabulary of chatspeak.

Also, how hard is it to type “to” instead of “2”? (For the record, 2 took me longer to type than to.)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited

Ditto^^, I also find it inconvenient to use 2 for to and u for you and so on. In my opinion writing a book in chatspeak would be ridiculous.

If ttyl is written as a series of instant messages, then I think it’s okay to use chatspeak in them. I don’t think it’s okay to use it in a regular book (unless it’s a parody). The cell phone books sound interesting, but they probably don’t have much substance. If I find a best-selling novel that begins, “Lst week Alice wnt 2 da stor. It wuz a regler day til she saw them. Thn evrythin wnt rong.” (I wasn’t going for substance there, just a general example of a chatspeak book) I might have to jump off of something very high.

I can’t comprehend chat-speak beyond the most basic comments. This is not a surprise to me, since I am home schooled,(Doesn’t mean much) Do not have a cell phone,(don’t need one) and I do not see why anyone would want to text message someone.(unless it’s just because everyone else does it) If you do not want to call someone, E-mail them.

Exactly. I have never opened my cell phone, though I’ve had it since Christmas of last year. I always call my friends on the home phone, or email them.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

Can’t e-mail someone if you don’t have a computer handy.

Well, agreeing with DrAlligator – languages can’t stay the same forever.

I am midly amused by the idea that texts like <i>Harry Potter</i> will one day be studied and evaluated the way that Shakespear’s and other works of Old English are studied today, in the age when words such as lulz and brb are included in Cambridge Dictionary.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

But…they aren’t words! They’re acronyms! Why should they be in any dictionary?!
    I think ASoIaF would make a better set text for studying than Harry Potter.

@Jeni

My computer is always handy.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I might use text messaging if I actually had mobile service anywhere near where I live.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

@Dan

Get out more.

:D

I’m super slow at texting, so I don’t even bother, even though my phone has a qwerty keyboard, or whatever it’s called.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

“Scuba” is an acronym, and it’s in the dictionary. Then again, it’s decidedly easier to pronounce than “brb”. (how would you even say that?! “berb”?)

• CommentAuthorRocky

I abhore chatspeak. It's the devolution of the language more than anything else. Case in point: not only are grammatical, spelling, and punctuation skills dropping at a rate that coincides with the advent of chatspeak, but the level of care for grammar is rapidly declining simultaneously.

And that's a provable point.

I do not see why anyone would want to text message someone.

I’m awkward in phone conversations, so I like texting better. A lot of my friends rarely check their e-mail but have their cell phones with them at all times. So if I need to tell them something, I text them. Of course, when they want to tell me something, they text me, which doesn’t work out so well. I usually don’t have my phone on.

I can't text. It's somewhat embarrassing in front of my peers, but I don't usually find it a huge barrier. It isn't a handicap when you aren't allowed to text.

ttyl’s written in mostly normal sentences, btw.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009

@ Steph: That looks vaguely Welsh. What does it mean?

I don’t use text xcontractions or aconyms almost at all— except for “brb” when I’m in a hurry, but most of the time I’ll spell it out fully.

And I NEVER “lol”.

I’m some strange kind of modern fossil, with my proper English, my Bing Crosby and Jimmie Rodgers, and my habit of not flashing my underwear at passers-by.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009

TTYL is “talk to you later”, but most people use it more to mean “see ya later” or something. BTW is “by the way”, and I’ve accidentally said that one out loud before! Thankfully it was with an equally geeky friend and after she laughed at me for about ten minutes, she said “LOL” out loud so I got to laugh back at her.

I actually know a lot of people who say "lol" aloud. Some say "L-O-L" while others simply say something that sounds like "lawl."

I could see “L-O-L” but “lawl” is just strange.

When I’m reading it aloud, I pronounce it “lole”. Has sort of a jolly ring to it.

lol, it sounds dorky if you say it l-o-l. 'lawl' is how most of my friends pronounce it. Maybe it's just an Australian thing, but I know a lot of people who say it, and they aren't all at the bottom of the coolness ladder.

*insert brief CB rant about defining coolness and the value of others' opinions*
    *move on*

...wait, NP, you ARE Aussie, aren't you? Which part are you from? It might be a Western thing

@ Dan: I can just imagine you in a beard and red suit, going 'lole lole lole--Merry Christmas!'
    It was the jolly that put it into my head.
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009

Maybe it’s just me, but I also tend to respect people more (yeah, yeah, shitty metre stick for respect) if they don’t use chatspeak. Just as a little illustrating factor, one of my friends (let’s call her A) had a crush on another one of my friends (let’s call him B). A used chatspeak constantly; B did not. So when A suddenly popped up on B’s Wall leaving messages like “want 2 hang out l8r lol”, he was extreeemely put off. It’s not quite fair, because A’s actually quite nice, but the chatspeak scared him off.

Maybe it's just an Australian thing, but I know a lot of people who say it, and they aren't all at the bottom of the coolness ladder.

It isn't just an Australian thing, I think.

To be honest, Elanor, the way someone "speaks" online may affect my opinion of them. No, I'm not a Grammar Nazi (LIE), but it may annoy me. It does, actually. "Hey Wats up?" "Ya!!!!111!! haha!"

Yeah, it definitely affects whether someone else sees you as an intelligent, mature person, to a certain degree, regardless of what you’re actually saying.

...wait, NP, you ARE Aussie, aren’t you? Which part are you from? It might be a Western thing

No, I’m an American. I don’t really hear people say “lol” out loud in any fashion, so I was just using my imagination, I guess. I don’t doubt anyone’s “coolness.” I just don’t hear people actually say things in chatspeak very often.

Are you messing with me in re your nationality?