Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

The one game that should be made by all rights.

Discuss your ideas, theories and wishful thoughts.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009

If its made, it will suck.

I could not suck, but it will.

Yeah I've had this idea ages ago, but probably so did many other people. And yeah if it's made anything like the previous EA Harry Potter's, it will suck. They suck because they follow the movies rather than the games. I'm a young adult and if I was in charge of a Harry Potter game and had a good team I'd come up with something 100 times better. Damn EA ruining what could potentially be an incredibly good game. Well chances are after all the movies games are out they will make more Potter games but I bet they will still suck because it's EA.

So ideas... Obviously first is creating what your person looks like and what house they’re in and stuff. It should all be 3D but the graphics probably wouldn’t be that great.

Every spell ever mentioned in the story should be able to be cast on anything and anyone by typing the name or selecting one from a very long list (except maybe for the forbidden curses). Though of course some spells would be useless on some things. The people making the game should work closely with JK Rowling so she can give them extra spells and stuff that weren't in the books but could be considered canon.

You should be able to explore every place mentioned in the books, which will be made to look as close as possible to how they should look in the books, NOT THE MOVIES!! (though sometimes the movies do make things cooler than they were in the book). So once again Rowling could give more canon info. Some girl made an incredibly accurate Hogwarts that makes a lot more sense than the ones in the videogames, but apparently her site has been taken down because I can't find it. But I saved the pictures of each floor and started to correct some things she had wrong and added in the grounds before giving up.

It should have a huge famous witches and wizards trading card system. Instead of collecting them in random places like in the early games you'd buy them with money you win in-game by doing things (and the developers could probably milk more money out of it by charging you real money for virtual money like Habbo Hotel). So when you get doubles you trade them or bet them on games. And the developers could host special contests for rare ones every once in a while. Rowling could create many more famous wizards and witches for the game.

Money could also be spent on joke items and candy like the fake wands or puking pastels. Also other magical items like gillyweed. There's probably much more you could buy that I can't think of. Different wizard clothes? But the main thing to spend money on would be quidditch supplies like better brooms and armour and stuff to help improve your game.

Which leads into quidditch. Quidditch is always lamely just Harry flying on a set path, moving him through rings. So every position needs to be playable obviously and the system needs to be really deep so you actually have to be good at it and the matches might take a while. Seekers should have to find the snitch and be able to do fake-outs to make the other seeker think they saw it.
    All positions should be able to do cool manoeuvres to change direction or dodge bludgers or block or catch or hit the ball. Sneekers might need to be removed from the game though, or have the option to remove them, because they almost always decide the game making everyone else's efforts pointless.
    You could form online teams and name your team and participate in tournaments, though it might be hard to get 6 or 7 people all playing the game at the same time, so you’d be able to have a substitute. You could have practise matches against bots any time to work on strategies and crap.

It'd be cool to have a pet simulation. Buy an owl or rat or frog or pygmy puff or cat or whatever and feed and groom and play with them and stuff. But what would be best is a pet simulation of trying to handle a blast-ended screwt. Finding out what your particular one eats, what gender it is so you can try to get it to mate, taking it out for walks where you get dragged around everywhere, pitting it against another screwt for a fight to the death.

Other mini-game things would be the obvious like exploding snap, degnoming the garden, wizards chess, that marbles game, and whatever else Rowling might've mentioned in the books or could make up especially for the game. You would win money and items from the game's host or bet money or trading cards.

Along with the spells you can cast at anything and the joke items and food, you’d also be able to take many different potions for different effects. Once again Rowling could make up many more potions. She could also make up all the ingredients and directions for each potion so you can make them much like you do in the 6th game (though you’d have to ignore any directions regarding time like the Poly Juice potion taking 3 months).

Wizard duels is obvious and would probably work a lot like they did in the 6th game but not as broken and more spells would be available but it wouldn’t really work if you had to type the spell’s name so there’d be set spells to use in duels you cast with the mouse or something. This would also have tournaments.

That’s all I can think of right now but I’m sure there’s other stuff. Why yes I did put a lot of pointless thought into this, thanks for asking. But maybe some dude from EA will stumble upon this and be all “hey this kid has great ideas, I’ll make him head director of a new Potter game despite him being young and having no previous experience or teaching of anything in the videogame industry”.

Maybe you’ve never played an MMO, but you can basically assign hotkeys and keyboard shortcuts to basically anything, so typing stuff would be completely unneccessary (and in the process of doing so, all you’d probably do is open your inventory, journal, unequip your Boots of +10 Harry and accidentally cast Avada Kedavra on your teammate).

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009

I’m so fucking awesome people can read my thoughts.

I played one where you had an amulet, and each kind cast a different color fire (except one – that sped up your fighting sequence). No matter what amulet you had, you always activated it by pressing Tab. Why not have an inventory of spells and a letter for shield (P for Protego, or something). You could click on the “Select Spell” button, then scroll left or right with arrows keys.

Or just assign hotkeys to five spells at a time, like normal folk.

WoW is the most succesful MMO out there, so let's refer WoW's example.

For spells you would be using constantly and during battles, assign hotkeys. (I'm not sure about WoW, but Diablo allows you to assign up to 16 spells. That is 16 spells that you can use by typing a single key)
    For spells that you won't be using so often, such as conjure food or summon specific pets, you open the spellbook for all the list of spells you currently have and choose your spell from there.

@happycrab – there was a quidditch – only game released not long after the first movie came out. All positions were playable, and you could play in three different leagues: Hogwarts, the British League and the world League. Each of the teams had unique moves, if you scored enough points, you could unlock special moves, it was simply teh awesome. I forgot what it was called, though:(

You mean this?

You mean this?

People familiar with actual sports know that the rules of Quidditch (as described in Rowlings’ books) are fundamentally flawed and that the only meaningful part of the game is the 1 on 1 competition between the two chasers trying to catch the golden snitch.

I suppose in their game, the Beaters keep the Seekers from throwing the Bludgers through the hoops.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009

I find that the odd part of Quidditch is that the game cannot end until the Snitch is caught. What happens if both Seekers and their substitutes are knocked unconscious? Does the game just continue until they recover?

Maybe they find sub-substitues or something?

They bring in a fresh change of Seekers, but if it continues for days, yes, the game keeps going. They just switch in fresh players every few hours.

@SMARTALIENQT

>I suppose in their game, the Beaters keep the Seekers from throwing the Bludgers through the hoops.

Those descriptions are written by the people who submit the games’ entries. They’re usually riddled with errors.

So ideas… Obviously first is creating what your person looks like and what house they’re in and stuff. It should all be 3D but the graphics probably wouldn’t be that great.

Maybe you could fill out a small personality thing (kind of like The Sims) and then they sorting hat could assign you a house.

I don’t like paying for fake money. I would mind buying a disc to install the game or paying a monthly fee, but I think that you should be able to make game money by doing game activities.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Maybe you could fill out a small personality thing (kind of like The Sims) and then they sorting hat could assign you a house.

Wasn’t this planned in the first Wizarding War? I’d think like the last year of Hogwarts would be a tutorial, or something.

I don’t know. I thought we were talking about one set in Hogwarts and the other settings in the books. I thought it was hypothetical.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Oh really? A Hogwarts MMO would be interesting.. but not much to do. Go to class? A wizarding war one would be a lot of fun, and factions are already set out. People can play Death Eaters or OotP members and go around doing shenanigans.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I like Virgil’s idea. A Wizarding war would open up so many more places to explore – it could basically be endless.

Yeah. That’s what I said (I think before this thread was started). The first war against Voldemort is a perfect setting for an MMO. JKR could really expand the backstory if it were done.

No. Harry Potter is a great setting, but MMOs rarely do a lot of good for it. Can you imagine it?

NEED CHARMER FOR VOLDY RAID 60 ONLY MUST BE HEALING SPEC SEND WHISPER
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I agree with someone who looks like Corsair but under a different name. Just because a game is a good idea for an MMO and has the proper locations for it doesn’t at all mean the game would be any good.

I am Corsair, you nit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I know.

NEED CHARMER FOR VOLDY RAID 60 ONLY MUST BE HEALING SPEC SEND WHISPER

fell off chair laughing