Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009

Why would vampires evolve skin that sparkles in the sunlight? Sparkling skin would make hunting more difficult because it would make them more visible to prey. Is sparkling skin something that was sexually selected for (i.e. a way to attract mates)? Discuss.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Evolution (well, I like to call it EVIL-lution) doesn’t exist. This thread should be closed.

On a more serious note.. I dunno. Apparently they have no natural predators, but the sparkling is to attract humans.

Stephenie Meyer, along with the Cullens who are Meyer’s self-inserts, are Christians.

Enough said.

Well, I don’t really agree with evolution either, but vampires are mythical creatures (yes, even Smeyerpires), so they wouldn’t evolve.

But if you want the truth, they sparkle because Smeyer thought it would be cool. There is no logical or even really an illogical explanation.

Being Christian doesn’t make you sparkly.

Vampires evolved? Are you serious?

Trying to come up with an evolutionary explanation for Meyer’s vampires’ physiology is like trying to come up with a geological explanation for Monkey Island.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

^ The Cullens are Christian? Aren’t vampires supposed to dislike crucifixes?

Again, Brandon, Smeyer ignored all former characteristics of vampires except for drinking blood and being pretty.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Well, I don’t really agree with evolution either, but vampires are mythical creatures (yes, even Smeyerpires), so they wouldn’t evolve.

I was /sarcasm.

I still don’t agree with a lot of it though. I agree with some, but not all.

But if you want the truth, they sparkle because Smeyer thought it would be cool.

Hear, hear.

Stephenie had realised that Edward would have to have some kind of feature that made him unable to go out in sunlight, but she could not bear to give her perfect Edward a handicap in any possible way. Thus, the sparkles.

Stephenie had realised that Edward would have to have some kind of feature that made him unable to go out in sunlight, but she could not bear to give her perfect Edward a handicap in any possible way.

Exactly. And she wanted teenage girls to squeel.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

And her perfectly developed main character would have to fall in love somehow.

Exactly. And she wanted teenage girls to squeel.

I am a teenager, and I cringed. It is a pity that I’m a minority these days.

Re: Meyer being a Christian

Mormonism is as far removed from Christianity as Islam is from Judaism.

I am too, but most teenage girls go, “Squee! Sparkly, hawt vampire!!!”

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

But Mormons have The Ultimate Truth! TM How can you doubt them!

The Ultimate Truth™ being a pair of golden tablets that nobody has ever seen, supposedly translated into grammatically erroneous English by God himself, and plagiarizing the King James Bible.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

The Ultimate Truth being a pair of golden tablets that nobody has ever seen, translated into grammatically erroneous English by God himself, and plagiarizing the King James Bible.

^ And also claiming that Native Americans are descended from Southwest Asians instead of East Asians like those bio-anthropologists claim.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

The Ultimate Truth being a pair of golden tablets that nobody has ever seen, translated into grammatically erroneous English by God himself, and plagiarizing the King James Bible.

Sooo much better than a book written eighty to a hundred years after a series of events, and with each addition got more and more fantastical, and the most fantastical properties of the book was added about three hundred years after the events through a committee? A book that plagiarizes and combines all the known beliefs at the time into a bastard child that went on to rule the world for the next two thousand years?

Not poking at you Dan specifically, I don’t know what you believe in. Or really care, I’m done here.

@BrandonP

Don’t forget that Heaven is basically screwing as many spirit-women as you can if you’re a guy, and being eternally pregnant with spirit-babies if you’re a gal.

@Virgil

If you’re talking about the Bible, that’s the first time that I’ve read about it being written by a commitee and changing dramatically over the years.

Wow, doesn’t Mormon Heaven sound like fun. I don’t think I want to be pregnant for all eternity.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

If you’re talking about the Bible, that’s the first time that I’ve read about it being written by a commitee and changing dramatically over the years.

You should look into the Bible more often then.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

You should check your sources.

you guys, we are talking about sparkling vampires here. Please dont get into a fight over religion, okay? Be nice.

Back to the topic of sparkling vampires.

We know that Twilight has none, but let’s just think in science for now. I think one possible reason that vampires would evolve into having sparkling skins would be that the sparkling would hypnotize and attract the prey, like the lantern on a lanternfish does.

Sparkly skin… I think it’s just for the fangirls honestly, I mean does anyone really think that S.Meyer would put that much thought into her ‘vampires’ evolution?

(virgil needs more research)

Meyer did say that sparkly skin was supposed to attract prey. But… how it’s supposed to especially if they avoid sunlight…

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited

Here’s my theory.

The sparkling of the Meyerpire! is a highly evolved trait which stimulates the human brain. A mixture of strobe lights and the back and forth motion of a hypnosis watch, it scrambles the brain waves of humans who see it. They become mindless, focused entirely on keeping in contact with the sparkles. The sparkles are rather addictive, like crack. Each vampire has distinctive sparkles, so the human becomes addicted to that particular type of sparkle crack. The human is too stupid/brainwashed to realize that they crave the sparkles, so they translate the feeling of desire into sexual attraction to the vampire.

Unfortunately for a vegetarian vampire, anyone who sees them in the sunlight becomes a mindless shadow that follows them wherever they go. Thus they must stay out of sunlight unless they want hordes of zombies following them.

Regular vampires use the sparkling in isolated areas to trap prey, lure them off, then eat them. They also avoid sunlight in crowded areas due to it being irritating to have hundreds of humans following them (not to mention they can only eat so much at a time).

Now, in Twilight, Edward has a crisis. Morally, he cannot let himself hurt Bella. However, he really wants to eat her. His Id is very hungry for Bellablood. His Superego suppresses this desire into an obsessive infatuation. Thus, realizing he cannot be separated from her, he uses the sparkle to keep her, afraid she’ll leave him. Once he has, he regrets it, as she is now mindless in her devotion to him. He really wants to make her a vampire so that she will have her brain (such as it is) back in full function, but he is also worried about killing off her soul.

In Breaking Dawn, once she is pregnant with The Spawn, he is still addicted to her and has no choice but to bite her after she gives birth and almost dies. Unfortunately, the zombie effect seems to be permanent. But the vampire sex is so good that he no longer cares.

Wow WWillow. Not only does that make sense, but I think you just put more thought into it than meyer did.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited

That… would not be hard. Her basis for the sparklies was a dream, she had no reasoning behind it.

snort What kind of dream was she having…

I really feel sorry for her husband, considering what her writings must say about their relationship…

• CommentAuthorFenix

Remember vampires can’t evolve because there is no natural selection, vampires don’t breed, they transform humans into their kind.
    No breeding=no natural selection=no evolution.

this should work for whatever sort of vampire you like

And they’re kind of hard to kill as well, as in no concept of ‘the stronger you are, the longer you’ll live.’

The Cullens are Christian? Aren’t vampires supposed to dislike crucifixes?

That’s Catholics. Christians (the Protestant kind) use crosses, not crucifixes. The only difference is whether you have Jesus on the front or not, basically.

As to the skin, I think that Meyer explains everything about Edward as a trap for the humans. His sexiness is basically designed so that every human on Earth will be attracted to him. It’s like developing a flower that lives forever, has an intoxicating scent, and has the healthiest and sweetest nectar ever, and then saying it’s all to attract bees.

What she doesn’t explain is that, since vampires can’t have vampire babies, there is no way for them to be like this. It’s one of those quirks where it has to be magic (like Casius’s creepy flamethrower amulet in Breaking Dawn), even though she tries to explain everything by science.

Remember vampires can’t evolve because there is no natural selection, vampires don’t breed, they transform humans into their kind.
    No breeding=no natural selection=no evolution.

Even if vampires can’t breed, it doesn’t mean that the characteristics of vampires cannot go through natural selection.

We know that vampiric conditions vary slightly from one vampire to another; some are more attractive than others, some are stronger or faster than others. Now let’s say in the very beginning when vampires were born, they were no different from other humans except that they required human blood to survive. Such a vampire would quickly be hunted down and destroyed by fellow humans, and won’t survive long enough to create more vampires and pass on his genetic traits.

However, as vampire conditions vary ever so slightly, a vampire might be created who turns out to be faster and stronger than others. This vampire would have a better chance at survival, would create more vampires and pass on his “desirable” traits quickly among the vampire population. Same goes for attractive vampires; they will have better chance preying on humans, more likely these traits would survive into the next generation. The vampire traits themselves will evolve, even when vampires themselves can’t breed.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009

Not to interrupt, but is anyone else bothered by the fact that we’re having a serious discussion about vampires. In Twilight. Just thought I’d point that out…

Yeah, most people who’ve posted.

But Willow’s theory was awesome.

Meyerpire!

I like the exclamation point at the end. You’re theory was really good.