Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009 edited

and by we, I mean teenage writers. It’s right there, on his blog. Grab your torches and pitchforks!

But seriously, I bring this up because Mr. Scalzi was the guest of honor at a SciFi convention that I attended this weekend. I hadn’t heard of him before, but he’s a fairly well known author in the genre, and a really hilarious guy in person.

I say the majority of his points are valid, though it would probably be safer to refer to “inexperienced authors” rather than “teenagers” (a demographic known for its touchiness and belligerence). But anyway, discuss!

I wonder if teens should write just because of the criticism world. As a general rule, they have a hard enough time dealing with rejection. Start compounding that with how harsh critics can be…

Let’s just say I’m not sure anyone (of any age) should go into putting any art on display unless they are ready to deal and have the maturity to determine legitimate criticisms (and learn from them to improve) vs pettiness.

(also, moving this topic to “writing”)

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009 edited

I’d say it’s best to get a taste of rejection early, so long as it’s not catastrophically disheartening. Knowing how to take something constructive even out of harsh criticism is a valuable skill, and I think it should be learned as early as possible.

The points Scalzi makes, however, have more to do with a lack of experience, both in writing and life. Maturely accepting criticism is certainly part of that, but that has less to do with the actual quality of our writing and more with our ability to improve it.

(ah, thanks)

I say the majority of his points are valid, though it would probably be safer to refer to “inexperienced authors” rather than “teenagers”

I agree that this would’ve been more appropriate.

Also, I hope you don’t mind if I don’t go out of my way to use current slang and such

And we would be bothered by this because…?

1. The Bad News: Right Now, Your Writing Sucks.

I don’t like the assumption that all writing by teenagers is aweful. Probably most is, but not all. You can suck or be amazing at any age.

Most teenagers lack the experiential vocabulary and grammar for writing well

Yes, this is true of most teenagers, but that’s because they don’t pay attention in English or read enough. Most teenagers who seriously want to be writers probably have a substantial vocabulary and good grammar.

You are not likely to have my influences, but you almost certainly have influences of some sort, who you love and to whom you look as models and teachers.

While I do read the advise of writers I admire, I don’t try to write like them or immitate their style. Another assumption. I don’t know what other teenage writers do, but just because he did it, it doesn’t mean that everyone that age does.

Where teenage writers are at a disadvantage is that you’re not always aware when you’re genuinely being good, or merely being clever.

Well, since we don’t know, maybe you could give an example of clever vs. good.

This is like saying that playing professional baseball is only slightly more difficult than hitting a beach ball with a stick.

I like this analogy.

and then comes the day that you write something that really doesn’t suck. You’ll know it when it happens

How will we know when it happens? What if a teenager thinks they write wonderfully right now, then how will they know when they actually write well? (I don’t think I write amazingly, I’m just saying this as a hypothetical.)

If this bad writer can sell a book or magazine article, then you should have no problem, right?

Enter Smeyer, giving hope to teenage writers everywhere.

People who write books where the main character is a young, questioning writer should be shot out of a cannon into a pit filled with leeches.

Haha.

First, that it can be worth it to deal with the high school newspaper editor, even if he or she is an insufferable dweeb

This is funny because our editors (yearbook anyway) are all popular and have pretty bad grammar.

I thought this article was good once he moved on from “Why You Suck” to actual advice.

Dude, im a teenager and my writting is advanced than any teenager as I write with the expertise of an adult writer. In other words im one of the few who are good.

Facepalm This comment isn’t even well-written.

Eh. If he was inspire to write this article by reading Paolini, I cannot blame him; even though I would appreciate if his opinions weren’t so totalistic.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009

Heh, I liked it. It made me smirk.

Also, finding “Paolini” in the comments is all kinds of satisfactory hilarious.

Made me smirk too. ;) Eh, his points were very general and the piece he wrote as a teen was… er… Well, I’ve seen better written by teens.

The points Scalzi makes, however, have more to do with a lack of experience, both in writing and life. Maturely accepting criticism is certainly part of that, but that has less to do with the actual quality of our writing and more with our ability to improve it.

Very true with both, but experience is one of those things that’s kind of nebulous. I’ve known some teenagers that have done more and had more experiences in their lives than some in their 30s. So I’d probably adjust his advice to less about teen writers and more about writers just needing to get out and experience the world.

Edit: He also had a followup. Which contains one of the greatest lines ever!

6. You say our writing sucks because you don’t understand what it’s like to be a teenager.

Contrary to popular opinion, most adults worldwide did not achieve that advanced state of being by skipping the intermediary step of being a teenager. We understand what it’s like to be a teenager just fine. Also, and contrary to what the media would like to suggest, being a teenager is largely the same today as it was 10, 20 and even 30 years ago. There are minor cosmetic differences (teens today have much stronger thumbs thanks to all the text messaging, for example), but at its core it’s pretty similar.

You can suck or be amazing at any age.

Really? I haven’t heard of any excellent 1 yr old writers. (lol i know your point, the joke was just too easy ;-)

Most teenagers who seriously want to be writers probably have a substantial vocabulary and goo grammar.

Intentional or not, the typo there made me laugh.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Yea, the followup article is pretty hilarious. I’m surprised at the restraint he showed regarding point 3

3. There are lot of teen writers who are published, like Christopher Paolini.

Actually, there aren’t a lot of teen writers who are published outside of specifically teen-oriented markets or assignments (for example, a “teen” section in a newspaper). And as far as Christopher Paolini goes, his particular path to publication is so unusual that he’s an absolute rarity for any writer, much less a teenage writer.

Yeah, I kept expecting him to say:

“Yes, and Paolini sucks. Thanks for proving my point.”

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited

He has effectively in some of the comments, usually something along the lines of Paolini not being the best example to use to disprove him.

4. What you’re saying about teenage writers might be generally correct, But my writing doesn’t suck.

How nice for you. By all means, get yourself published and rub my face in it. I await an autographed copy of your book with the words “HA! HA! HA!” above your signature.

I want to do that now for a laugh.

Stage 1: write.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2008/12/10/emo-older-than-you-think/

I love him. XD

• CommentAuthorFenix

Reading his articles I get the urge to read his books, I thinks there’s crafty use of subliminal messaging going on here.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited

@ Fenix

That’s an interesting conspiracy theory. What if all the major webpages are flashing subliminal messages at us? Of course, I’d say that your desire to read Scalzi’s books probably has more to do with the fact that he’s an interesting guy and a good writer. But then I could be part of the conspiracy as well.

• CommentAuthorFenix
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009

“Of course, I’d say that your desire to read Scalzi’s books probably has more to do with the fact that he’s an interesting guy and a good writer.”

That’s what they want you to think!:-P

I think the article’s cool.

I also liked the article responding to the comments. It was funny.

Yeah, I kept expecting him to say:

“Yes, and Paolini sucks. Thanks for proving my point.”

haha me too! it would be so hilarious if he did, though.

that article is made of win. I only wonder what would Inheritance look like if Paolini only bothered to do at least ONE of those things. Plus, I cannot take offence for it, as I am not a teenager anymore XD

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009 edited

I think that this would be a good opportunity to derail the thread with discussions of the Empress’ age.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009

You are old, Empress Falcon,
    And your hair has become very white;
    And yet you incessantly stand on your head —
    Do you think, at your age, it is right?

Yay, Alice in Wonderland reference!

To be fair, he's probably right. If there really are genuinely good teenage authors - Where are they? It's easy for us to claim we're better than Paolini, but do any of us really have the credentials to prove it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Quick, someone publish a book!
    *looks at lccorp*
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

It’s easy for us to claim we’re better than Paolini,

I didn’t know anyone was doing that.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

We all think/thought it at some point. XP

Well, at least Paolini could actually grind out three books, which is more than I can say.

He wrote three huge brick books.

That’s still an accomplishment. No, you don’t have to remind me of the quality, but doesn’t the fact that he had the, um, motivation and willpower to write that much?

In other news, I realized that you have to click the circle next to “Textile” to get the “modifiers.”

To be fair, he’s probably right. If there really are genuinely good teenage authors – Where are they? It’s easy for us to claim we’re better than Paolini, but do any of us really have the credentials to prove it?

True, but I think that even teenagers who write well are probably too lazy or unmotivated to write complete novels, and even if they do, they probably have little to no idea how to go about getting published. It might just be to much of a hassle (to them) to try. I know that I don’t really know how I would go about getting published if I ever wrote something worthy of being published. There’s also hiring an editor, which teens don’t really have money for, and not every parent would jump up and down with excitement at the expense or believe that their child could possibliy be serious enough to be writer. I’m just giving possible pitfalls to actually publishing good teen writing. Not everyone totes over “mommy’s little prodigy,” and those that do usually don’t have that much to brag about.

In other news, I realized that you have to click the circle next to “Textile” to get the “modifiers.”

Haha. I did that when I first tried to use textiles I think.

He wrote three huge brick books.

That’s still an accomplishment. No, you don’t have to remind me of the quality, but doesn’t the fact that he had the, um, motivation and willpower to write that much?

I cannot deny the effort he put into finishing them. However, finishing the books as such is not that much of an achievement. Finshing books that dont suck, on the other hand, is. I wrote three books as well, and fairly long ones. Are they publishing material? Fuck no. At least the first two are not and will be facing severe, merciless rewrites. And to be honest, I dont even feel like I finished them, when I think about them, all that runs through my head is work, work, work. So no, I dont have any sense of accomplishment for finishing them, because they are far from finished.

And I AM old – I have so much white hair I save a lot of money on a hairdresser, seeing as I dont have to go and get highlights:P

I cannot deny the effort he put into finishing them. However, finishing the books as such is not that much of an achievement. Finshing books that dont suck, on the other hand, is. I wrote three books as well, and fairly long ones. Are they publishing material? Fuck no. At least the first two are not and will be facing severe, merciless rewrites. And to be honest, I dont even feel like I finished them, when I think about them, all that runs through my head is work, work, work. So no, I dont have any sense of accomplishment for finishing them, because they are far from finished.

Oh, erm, that sucks. I always thought that once you finished the novel, even if it were horrendous and crap, that there would be at least some sense of accomplishment.

I’ve never finished a novel, so I don’t know. I was very proud of myself for finishing JulNoWriMo, and I didn’t even get halfway through my plot.

Oh, erm, that sucks. I always thought that once you finished the novel, even if it were horrendous and crap, that there would be at least some sense of accomplishment.

There is. I finished one. It was really short, but it sucks. It is unsalvagable crap. I still felt really good about it though. I proved to myself that I could do it. I just hope that next time it will be good enough to actually bother editing.

@Snow White Queen – Was the book unfinished or the plot just unresolved?

It was really short, but it sucks. It is unsalvagable crap.

It wasn’t even rewriteable?

oh I will feel accomplishment. Once they are done

See, that's my point. No one here can claim that they've written a story that's both complete and good. I've written some stuff, and I think it's pretty solid, but I haven't ever been able to finish. Paolini sucks, I'm not denying that. What I am saying is, we can't really refute what Mr. Scalzi says until we've actually proven him wrong. The potential for a genuinely good teenage author exists, yes. But there's no evidence for it that I can see.

I think finishing is a pretty big accomplishment!

@ Tracer Bullet: I don’t think it’s necessary to prove him wrong. Someone once said, “Anyone who wants to write knows enough at 15 to write several novels”, and hell yeah I agree with that, but I don’t think they’ll be good unless they’ve been practising intensively since they were so high, or they have mega talent. But that’s rare.

Anyone read Amelia Atwater-Rhodes? She was 13 when she published her first novel. I haven’t read it but they reckon she’s good.

@windmere: I didn’t finish the actual plot. And then the ending of the plot is unresolved. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

They might have enough knowledge about the world to write a novel at 15, but that doesn’t mean they have the skill. Take Louis L’amour as an example- hardly a teenage writer, but his books were famous for being incredibly accurate. But that didn’t make him a great writer, it only made him a more compelling and believable one.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

No one here can claim that they’ve written a story that’s both complete and good.

I can. They aren’t novel length stories, and they’re unpublishable because a younger me, ignorant of copyright laws and such, handed away the rights to them, but they were both good and complete stories. The oldest one that I’m still extremely proud of I wrote when I was twelve, so you could say that I’m a teen writer that doesn’t suck. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Really? To whom did you give the rights?

You might think they’re good, but do you really think Paolini thinks he writes tripe?

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited

Really? To whom did you give the rights?

A mostly fanfiction website (now defunct, but they still have my writing posted last I checked, writing which I was dumb enough to submit under my given name) which I shall not reveal.

You might think they’re good, but do you really think Paolini thinks he writes tripe?

I know they’re good via years of hindsight, though seeing as how good is subjective, you may not agree. One thing I do have on Paolini is that I’ve been legitimately published the old fashioned way. Never mind that the stuff that got published is crappy; I have no idea why they got published, to be honest, but they did, and now they linger on in the domain of “out of print,” never to be reprinted again if I have any say in the matter.

It’s really a good idea not to submit most of the stuff you wrote when you were 12-13. If it gets published, it immortalizes your embarrassment.

A mostly fanfiction website (now defunct, but they still have my writing posted last I checked, writing which I was dumb enough to submit under my given name) which I shall not reveal.

Can you get them back?

If it gets published, it immortalizes your embarrassment.

cough cough Jim Theis cough cough

Jim Theis is the greatest author who ever lived. Too bad his perusal of longevity was stunted in 2002.

Eye of Argon? More like Eye of AWESOME amirite?

lol thews

Tee hee. Is it still printed, by the way? I wonder if they have a copy at the library…

You might could find it on the internets. I dunno if your local library would have it, since it’s pretty niche.

It’s on II, with Sly’s spork interspersed.

Adam Cadre’s MST is better.

Well, II is where I actually found the text. I’m sure it’s all over the Internet.

Here is the original text (the ending is bogus, though), and here is Cadre’s MST.

Thank you very much. Later, I will stain my mind with this literary impurity/awesomeness (not that my mind was really clean and innocent).

the ending is bogus, though

Yeah, isn’t it ‘lost’ or whatever? It ends with Grignr getting his face eaten or something, right?

Hey, let’s not complain. That way, there’s no room for a sequel.

>Yeah, isn’t it ‘lost’ or whatever?

What happened was that Jim Theis lost the final page of the typewritten manuscript before he submitted it to the fan-zine that published – in the most liberal sense of the term possible – the story. And he’s dead, so nobody can know the ending now.

I set up a contest to get people to write endings for it, but I ended up being the only entrant. Maybe this shameless spamming new publicity can revive it?

I can’t think of a ending worthy of the Eye of Argon, sorry.

I can’t think of a ending worthy of the Eye of Argon, sorry.

I can’t think of an Eye of Argon worthy of an ending.

thews lol

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009

It wasn’t even rewriteable?

Meh… it might be, but that would require a lot of effort, and most of the plot would have to be completely re-done. I might go back to it if I’m ever supremely bored with nothing better to work on. It was good to finish though because it proved that I could write something that long. It was the longest thing I’ve ever written by far.

How long was it, just out of curiosity?

About 40,000 words. My word count said a little over, but subtracting chapter numers and the titile page, probably slightly under. It was 203 pages, excluding the title page, in 12 point Courier New.

Wow, congrats. You beat me in page count, but I beat you in word count for my longest. :D

^^Congrats to you too then. Was it a completed story?

Nope. Little more than halfway through, perhaps. (You’ll remember that I am one of those who likes to spew random crap for rough drafts, and then in between the crap are little bits of writing that actually further the plot)

This was for JulNo, though. I’m keeping the plot (because it’s the first time I’ve come up with an idea that’s lasted more than a week. I think this one’s lasted…at least a year now. Maybe a year and a half, and it’s been evolving even before that)

So yeah. After all that effort, I’m not just about to toss the entire idea out.

I wrote mine in like six months, maybe a little more. I ran out of plot very early on, and then I had to just add random crap to make it longer. So, it was like 10,000 words of decent story, and 30,000 of random crap/filler. Plus, I think I quite purple. I might post some of it someday. It probably would’ve made a better short story, but maybe I can salvage it later and turn it into something good.

See, I never get through the plot.

Well, your plots are probably more involved than mine. I usually think that I have a lot of plot to get through, but it always seems to turn out that I get to the ending before I even get to the middle of the book, so then I have to tack on all this extra crap that just doesn’t fit very well with the original story.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009

I’m going to be totally prepared for NaNo this year- I’m going to write an outline and everything! Last year I had a basic idea of what I wanted to happen and where I wanted the story to go, but never quite made it to the end because I lost track of where I was going halfway through.

I may do something superhero-related. Or another fantasy, this time a proper Olden Tyme fantasy instead of modern fantasy. Not sure…

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Last year’s NaNo, I had everything prepped: outline, characters, world, plot, etc. And then, two days in, my hard drive crashed and I lost everything including what I had written of the story. Needless to say, that was a complete motivation killer.

Moral of the story: back up everything. E v e r y t h i n g.

•  
      CommentAuthorAdamPottle

Kyllorac: I've been there. I now have two usb sticks, just in case I lose one and two different hard drives go at the same time. Not fun.

Oh, Kyrollac, that sucks!

I really want to do NaNo, but I’m not sure I’ll have time. I’ll be writing, just not that massive amount everyday.

Wow, K. See, that is the reason I do a lot of my planning on paper. The chances of a house fire are more remote than of a hard drive crashing.

One of the reasons I enjoy sharing my work with people is the “back up” potential.

If something goes wrong and I lost all of “Nagasaki Moon” today. I can pop onto here or ping a bunch of you to send me all the downloaded copies I hope ya’ll have.

Remember: art is to be shared! Especially because that makes it harder to be lost.

Remember: Nate saying “ya’ll” is priceless. Back that up, too.

Hey, I’m from the semi-south and hold it against English the lack of a plural 2nd person. I’m hoping someday “ya’ll” will be an accepted remedy for that. ;-)

I actually have said “ya’ll” before, which is sad, because I’m from so far South that I’m not American anymore.

bwahahaha, it spreads….

It’s spelled “y’all,” y’all.

Maybe were YOU live, but here in the sane areas….

It’s a contraction of “you” and “all” so of course the apostrophe ought to go in between the Y and the A.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009

Wait, the number 4? So we should spell it y4ll?

It’s a contraction of “you” and “all” so of course the apostrophe ought to go in between the Y and the A.

No, because you spell “you” as “ya”
    i.e. “What ya doin’?”

So it’s “Ya’ll”

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009 edited

I assure you sir, I never joke when it comes to correctly spelling regional slang. pushes up glasses

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009

No, duh, you’re all stupid. It actually comes from the Icelandic words “yar” (an exclamation implying contempt or some other strong emotion) and “d’iall’” (plural form of “ial”, which means a foreigner or stranger). Thus, it should properly be contracted ya’all, or ya’iall’ if you prefer the traditional spelling.