Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

^ALL HAIL KING NEPTUNE KURT VONNEGUT AND HIS WATER BREATHERS AWESOME QUOTES!

Also, I’m somewhat on the fence concerning semicolons. Sure, they look strange and not as “neat” as real colons, but on the other hand, my first impulse is to use one of them instead of a real colon; I think this signifies my terminal laziness and my inherent affinity for the side of Chaos over the side of Order.

“There is no reason good can’t triumph over evil, if only angels will get organized along the lines of the Mafia.”
    -Kurt Vonnegut

"The Sparky: ;__; *sniffle* I find myself being sad... dead pokie pups... seriously... I'm okay now..."
    •  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011

Also, I’m somewhat on the fence concerning semicolons. Sure, they look strange and not as “neat” as real colons, but on the other hand, my first impulse is to use one of them instead of a real colon; I think this signifies my terminal laziness and my inherent affinity for the side of Chaos over the side of Order.

Aren’t colons and semicolons subtly different? I usually treat colons as being some annoying thing which I have never used in all my life, and use semi-colons when dashes start to make the page look cluttered. I’ve always thought they look more sophisticated—perhaps its the creative assymetry?

“Fly like the wind, Spatchela!”
    —Me, being weird while a friend and I were waiting for the Sims to load

@Beldam

Aren’t colons and semicolons subtly different?

They aren’t “subtly” different; they’re very different. The difference follows: colons indicate that you’ve started saying something that you’d said that you’d say (in this case, the difference between them and semicolons); semicolons separate complete – but related – clauses from each other, as in a list. Semicolons can be replaced with a comma followed by “and”, and, apart from tone, there’s little difference between the two methods.

Quote, because I want to stay on topic:

“We’ve always had problems with scalpers at PAX Prime. But this year, counterfeiters have upped the ante. And so, our own ante must be… upped. We have to up it.”

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011

“Oh, how the insane flocks together like the birds of a feather!” ~ someone at school.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011 edited

@ Stellar Jetman I have absolutely no idea why I wrote ‘subtly’ now that I think about it. I think I took on a pacifying tone without really meaning to. But yeah, I’ve always treated ‘:’ as list and ‘;’ as explanation. I use semi-colons a ton in formal writings—I absolutely love explaining myself. I don’t think I’ve ever been in a situation where I haven’t opted out of a colon. Besides, there’s just something wrong about a punctuation sign having the same name as an organ. At least the other one is only half an organ, and that is okay XD

“The difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.” — Mark Twain

“Sex is anything, from the top of your head to the tip of your toes. Anything in someone else’s underwear zone. Or there’s in yours.”
    —the abstinence lady that came to my junior high

There were also hand motions. It was horrible.

bq. “Sex is anything, from the top of your head to the tip of your toes. Anything in someone else’s underwear zone. Or there’s in yours.”

bq. There were also hand motions. It was horrible.

*O_O*

Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.

Quick, somebody find an Oscar Wilde quote so we can move on.

‘Well, I can’t eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs.’

bq. Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Make. Caveman. Jokes.

That’s cave woman, thank you very much, you sexist pig. :D

bq. That’s cave woman, thank you very much, you sexist pig. :D

That's sexist Boar to you.

I’m so sorry. I guess we’re both at fault here.

bq. I’m so sorry. I guess we’re both at fault here.

You just made little Elsie cry with your sinful name-calling and your evil joking, don't you know that joking is from HELL?
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011

“True friends are like diamonds, precious and rare;
    False friends are like autumn leaves – found everywhere.”

I don’t know who said it, I just remember it from when I was little.

“Mr. Crockett is known for his cunning and quick wit. I have chosen for him the power of the fox. With his power coin, he can operate a small sized morphing grid, which was the prototype of the one you Power Rangers use. He can morph into a fox form, and calI on a hovercycle and a jetpack. His robotic arm has continuous access to the Internet, where the majority of his powers reside.”

‘Well, I can’t eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs”

He’s eating muffins…. IN HELL

“Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you’ve got a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies-“God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.”
    -Kurt Vonnegut

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011

@Dan/SJ – Dare I ask what that’s from?

He’s eating muffins…. IN HELL

Knowing Algy, he probably is.

I’m going to have to include him in a cameo the next time I write something about that picnic… FROM HELL.

Two days ago I told a 16-year-old boy: “Your handwriting almost rivals mine in its unrepentant hideousness,”

Can anyone tell me – did I really make that up on the spot, or is it some forgotten quote that spontaneously resurfaced from my dark and troubled unconscious?

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011 edited

bq. Can anyone tell me – did I really make that up on the spot, or is it some forgotten quote that spontaneously resurfaced from my dark and troubled unconscious?

Hahahahaha! I think it's something you made up, I say stuff like that all the time.

^Awesome.
    :-D

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011

“Just think, by the end of the kung fu tournament, you’ll have Iron Legs, Iron Fists and an Iron Lung!”

“Good Lord, that’s over a hundred and fifty atmospheres of pressure!”

“How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?”

“Well, it’s a spaceship, so I’d say anywhere between zero and one.”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011

“Let me remind all citizens of the dangers of magical thinking.”

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2011

“If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it, is it Forever A Koan?”

“100 billion people have died on this planet. We’re walking on a world of bones. Good night.”

“The boundlessness of my own stupidity is the most important lesson I have ever learned in my entire life.”

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011

“Yes, he likes that – Alphie. Though he prefers to be called ‘Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All.’”

^^I loved how he called the baby Stormageddon throughout the episode.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011

Who wouldn’t love a name like that?

“How are you holding up? Because I’m a potato.”
    -PotatOS

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011

Finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, followed by the hilarious outtakes. A few I can remember off the top of my head (hidden for spoilers):

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011

“Considering the ways in which so many of us waste our time, what would be wrong with a world in which everybody were writing poems? After all, there’s a significant service to humanity in spending time doing no harm…. And I’d like a world, wouldn’t you, in which people actually took time to think about what they were saying?” —Ted Kooser

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011 edited

Since semicolons came up earlier and I love them: this

To justify posting:
    “Once a woman showed the place to a white man before, and behold evil befell him…Her name was Gagool, too. Perchance I was that woman….Perhaps it was my mother’s mother who told me; surely her name was Gagool, also. But mark, ye will find in the place where the bright playthings are a bag full of stones. The man filled that bag, but he never took it away. Evil befell him, I say; evil befell him! Perhaps it was my mother’s mother who told me. It will be a merry journey—we can see the bodies of those who died in battle as we go. Their eyes will be gone by now, and their ribs will be hollow. Ha! ha! ha!”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011

Link’s broken. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011 edited

Dang it, I was going to double check! Fixed

^^I need to send that picture to my entire creative writing class. They think semicolons are fancy commas.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011 edited

aaaaarghhhh

Well, if it’s in cool-picture format, maybe they’ll pay attention? Poor, abused semicolon.

“The more real your imaginary reader seems to you, the easier it becomes to shape a poem that might reach through to that person. If you keep the shadow of that reader—like a whiff of perfume—in the room where you write, you’ll be a better writer.”

The Poetry Home Repair Manual, Ted Kooser

It may only be a book about writing poetry, but it’s very hard to stop quoting a poet, whatever they’re writing.

Portal 2 has so many awesome quotes.

“I’m Cave Johnson, the man whose goin’ to burn your house down! With the Lemons!”

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011 edited

from a LJ community:

We saw a sale on “Poping Corn” once. It made me want to eat it while wearing an elaborate hat.

elsewhere:

Like schoolboys, Riesling is best enjoyed young.

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011

In regards to people who always question if people are qualified to critisize something they aren’t involved in: “You don’t need to be Alexander Graham Bell to pick up the phone and know that it’s dead.”

“A thing with a name is a bit more than a thing,”
    ^Interesting Times, Terry Pratchett.

Also, own quote because drunk people always seem to inspire/amuse/fascinate sober people:

“I love you when you’re nice.”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2011

Behind an able man, there are always.

Sage words of wisdom from my fortune cookie at dinner tonight.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Always what?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Precisely.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Maybe it’s a Zen.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2011

Could be talking about opportunity.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2011

Oh, I get it. Haha, I walked right into that one.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011

Passwords are like underwear. Don’t share them with friends.

Her eyes were violet, and her long, midnight tresses mirrored a Saharan night.

It’s from a short story I saw in someone’s college ap at work. Ew.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011

"Critics come down after the battle is over and kill the wounded." My history professor on Edwardian England.

@Inspector – two of my favorite fictional characters have violet eyes, but… in literature/fanfic it’s still an overdone trait that screams Mary Sue.
    I think the fact that neither of the aforementioned ladies are human makes it a lot better, though.

You wouldn’t write a sentence like the one I quoted though, right? The story in question was about a free-spirited girl named Ava. The (female) main character spent pages gushing over her looks. Even though the character in question was straight. yeah.

About as straight as Bella and Alice when they’re together.

Edit: I did NOT say that.

@Inspector – hell no.

free-spirited girl named Ava

Give me a Manic!
    Give me a Pixie!
    Give me a Dream!
    Give me a Girl!
    What have you got?
    MANIC PIXIE DREAM GIRL!!

....okay, seriously, writers everywhere – you need to stop that crap. It’s getting old.

Hehehe, nothing wrong with a bit of girl on girl.
    Bloody annoying. I agree.
    It’s almost as bad as Edward describing Jacob’s voice as “husky”.
    And no, I’m never getting over that.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011

AHAHAHAhaha. Oh man, that was good. Made my Monday.

Glad you enjoyed it, Inky.
    :-D

Hope your monday wasn’t too bad to begin with, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011

Ehh, they usually suck more or less. This one’s okay – I came up with some awesome stuff I want to put in my NaNo, and there’s some good things happening later this week, but I’m thrown back into an enormous homework black hole for the next five days. Blech.

Klutorpost’d.

That was awesome.

@Inky – True dat. Good luck, my young friend.

@Inspector – Thanks.
    YEAAAHHH!!! HOW MANY POINTS INTERNETS DO I RECEIVE?
    :-DD

I think being termed a Klutorpost is equivalent to getting a couple of internets.

^I honestly didn’t think of it that way.
    Good point. :D

....where did the “handing out internets” thing originate anyway?

Also, slightly more on-topic:

“I gotta show Rarity the crown jewels…”

I bet you do, Spike. I bet you do.
    ;-)

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011

Probably either 4chan or somethingawful. 99.9% of all weird internet phrases originated in one of those two places.

You sure that’s not an exaggaration?

I think that’s a conservative estimate, actually.

And 4chan was originally an offshoot of somethingawful, so…

Wow. You guys really know your chans…

Yeah, 4chans, 7chans, Chris Chans, Jackie Chans. We know ‘em all.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011

@sansa – was it really? Huh. I actually didn’t know that.

I have failed as an addicted Internet person!

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited

@sansa – was it really? Huh. I actually didn’t know that.

I have failed as an addicted Internet person!

That’s quite alright, newfriend. 2003 was a long, long time ago.

Chris Chan

It’s looking more and more likely that he may end up doing some time, unless he bumbles his way out of it by reason of insanity. I hope this doesn’t mark the end of Sonichu for all time.

But hey, you only do two days nohow, right?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011

newfriend

glare

glare

>:3

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011

Oh you.

“You want a realistic, down-to-earth show, that’s completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?” – Doctor Who as described by some Simpsons character.

^AWESOME.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011

“Four blows they exchanged, each more terrible than the last”.

WHAT.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2011

^Don’t tell me that one was from Inheritance.

Yeah, I read the first chapter of Inheritance while walking around at B&N, and I counted at least 5 times my innuendometer went up.

“Because, Phoebe, sometimes after you sleep with someone… you have to kill a fish!”

^^:D

I saw that a week ago and it still makes me laugh. I <3 Chandler.

I love Friends. At one point, I could quote huge chunks of dialogue from various episodes. I probably still could to some extent.

“Actually it’s Miss Chanadaler Bong.”

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011 edited

"She wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer- in fact, she was barely a spoon." Terry Pratchett.
    I don't know if that's been done yet, I didn't bother to read through all of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011

Oh who cares, that’s still an awesome line. I love Sir Pratchett so much.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011

I could quote all his work- there is not a single line that is not perfect.

“And what would humans be without love?”

RARE

^I agree with Mr Death there.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Mr Death has all the best lines. He's probably my second favorite character, Vetinari being the first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Vetinari!

Vetinari is pretty awesome. My favorite characters (who I refuse to rank, because I can’t decide) are Vetinari, Vimes, Death, Susan, Moist von Lipwig, Angua, and Tiffany Aching.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011

The thing that I like about Vetinari is that he pretends to be a tyrant, but he is the best possible ruler for Ankh-Morpork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

My favorite characters (who I refuse to rank, because I can’t decide) are Vetinari, Vimes, Death, Susan, Moist von Lipwig, Angua, and Tiffany Aching.

Agreed wholeheartedly, but only on the condition that Tiffany is the name of Moist’s hard-as-nails, chain-smoking girlfriend. If not then she, whatever her name is, replaces Tiffany.

The thing that I like about Vetinari is that he pretends to be a tyrant, but he is the best possible ruler for Ankh-Morpork.

WROOONNNGGG! He is a tyrant, and one of my favorite things about his portrayal is the way he’s almost made into a pretty nice, friendly guy, but the books force you to remember the ruthless, deadly vampire beneath every once in a while. It’s fantastically well done. Sometimes tyrants are the best possible rulers.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Adora Belle Dearheart is Moist’s girlfriend. I like her too, she’s on the second-favorite-characters list. Tiffany Aching’s from his younger books (well, they’ve been getting progressively older as time goes on) and she’s a witch. She’s also completely awesome, and I wish so much he’d written those books (and I’d read them) when I was younger, because they are precisely the sort of thing I would have loved in middle school. I still do love them now, though!

Re: Vetinari, as Terry Pratchett once said in an interview, “Yes, but has anyone ever actually seen the scorpion pit?” I don’t think Vetinari has any trouble being ruthless, but he cares too much about his city to really be classified as a tyrant in my opinion. Sure, he doesn’t appear to be a benevolent ruler, but he sort of is. The stuff he does can be harsh, but ultimately, it’s all for the best.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Fair enough. It is left vague enough that you can really go either way. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

Exactly, swenson.
    Adora Belle Dearheart is kick-ass.

“Joy, 41, is a Virgo. She is a career secretary and enjoys ice skating and John Grisham novels. She’s pathologically afraid of balloons and hates the
    word moist, she thinks it’s pornographic.”

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

???

???

Me?

It’s from Dead Like Me and is not related to anything you guys were talking about.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I see.