Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Sam: I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
    Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?
    Sam: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.

This speech gets me every time.

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011 edited

Tis a very good speech. : )

"We thought we had managed all right, kept the awful things out of our minds, but now I'm an old man and they come out from where I hid them. Every night."

- Old Veteran to Richard Holmes.
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011

“The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.” ~ Ghandi.

“A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.” ~ Henry Ford.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011 edited

“I’ve paid my whore!” Christian from Moulin Rouge , said by one of my friends after losing spectacularly at Monopoly to me.

“Sauron out, bitches” Paraphrase of Voldemort from A Very Potter Musical , said by me after I lost to said friend in a different (Lord of the Rings) Monopoly match.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011

“If you’re so clever, you tell me what else I could have done. All that time in Miami she had never let go, never once vacated the dream. The moment she closed her eyes, feathers were floating down past them. She knew what she wanted. Don’t mistake me: I wanted her to have it. But imagining myself stretched out next to her on the bed night after night, I could hear the sound those feathers made, and I knew I would never sleep again for the touch of them on my face.” – China

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011

“The sergeant’s questions about J.J.‘s mental health had put worse thoughts into Ciaran’s head. The rate of teenage suicides in the country was soaring. While Helen started the milking and Marian listed for the phone, he made a quiet, thorough search of every building on the farm.”

The New Policeman by Kate Thompson

That’s the last line of the chapter & and I thought it quite possibly the most effective tone for the situation (and it’s about the only characterization that Ciaran gets, though otherwise he seemed to be the happy-go-lucky type.

“Before you enter the great beyond, which we hope is not for many years, you have to take a little kid to see The Nutcracker.”

—my music lecture professor

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011

“I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert.” ~Demetri Martin

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011

Oh dear, I just can’t help myself:

And when things turned out mostly alright in the end, Ben could be happy that everyone was alive and well but there was still the fact that Riley had been his friend for years and Ben still treated him like a couch. Like he would always be there to hold people up and he’d always be around for people to just take him for granted. People like Ben. People who treated him like he was simply there to be exchanged and passed around and poked and prodded and reupholstered. God, they had a sofa friendship.

“Something Like a Sofa” by Oh So Cliche

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011 edited

Amelia: He’s obviously a philanderer who trifles with unsuspecting women’s hearts.
    Marie: How romantic.

:D From The Aristocats, but could easily be from a Twilight parody or rip-off.

"You could be mine, but you're way out of line."

Axl Rose - You Could Be Mine.

“Over there’s my spaceship…. And here’s where I keep different lengths of wire.”

“Over there’s my spaceship…. And here’s where I keep different lengths of wire.”

OH MY YES.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011

“Oh, this is bad. This is extremely very not good.”

—The Doctor

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011

My Professor, while in the midst of a motivational speech about how we need to apply ourselves more: Life is pain!
    Me, in my head: Anyone who says differently is selling something.

And thus his entire very important message about working hard went completely out of my head while I giggled quietly to myself.

"They taught me how to kill Japs, I got pretty D**** good at it."

-Eugene Sledge in The Pacific.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011 edited

from a foam mattress underlay:

“refreshes mattresss and protects”

(underlining mine.)

Really, world? At least there’s no apostrophe.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011

I read a job advert the other day, they mistyped the word ‘public’. GUESS HOW.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011

...I loled a bit too much at that one, Jeni. I am totally mature and stuff! :)

“‘I’m broke, Hagar. What do I do? I want that broom back there.’

Hagar happily extends a finger at the goblin bank of Wobble-Columns.

‘You got an account up in there, Master Harry.’

They enter the foyer among evil, pasty, Hobbity, Ufgoody goblins. They are running the money show, clever turnips, these needleteeth. Imagine a human of about three years of age with antler-like nose and ears, and a jellyfish draped over its head, then stuffed into a leprechaun suit.

Hagar prompts the nearest leprechaun teller for a withdrawal from Harry’s account. The leprechaun, famousness of Harry aside, demands Master P.‘s bank key. Luckily, Hagar, the keymaster, naturally produces Harry’s key.

‘What else of mine does he have?’ Harry ponders.”

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”

—Kurt Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegot is my hero :D

I found that quote in a YouTube comment actually, and now I really want to read his stuff. When I looked him up, I realized that I had been meaning to read him anyway.

Kurt Vonnegot is my hero :D

^^ Ditto. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011 edited

“Jan Karon ‘reflects contemporary culture more fully than almost any other living novelist’.”

—Los Angeles Times

Found this while covering books at the library, and thought it an interesting take on Karon. I actually like the Mitford series (little as I remember) but I reread the first book just last year and it held up pretty well. But the whole of contemporary culture?

“My name is Draco Malfoy. I am a racist. I despise gingers… and mudbloods. And my parents work for the guy who killed your parents. Do you want to be my friend?”

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011

“The New England Journal of Medicine reports that 9 out of 10 doctors agree that 1 out of 10 doctors is an idiot.”

—Jay Leno, apparently.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011 edited

That reminds me of:

9 out of 10 Tupari drinkers would recommend Tupari to their friends… and the tenth one’s on my list.

EDIT: From the WMG page of TVTropes for Dr. McNinja:

Original Poster: The Mayor of Cumberland is a retired vampire hunter. He once tangled with Dracula, hence his morbid fear of the undead and wide-reaching connections.

Next Poster: This is more likely than it seems, since he used to be an astronaut.

Best of all, in-universe this makes absolutely perfect sense.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011

Double-postage time for Charles Babbage awesomeness:

On two occasions I have been asked, – “Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?” In one case a member of the Upper, and in the other a member of the Lower House put this question. I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

“There’s a certain type of person who loves Star Wars. And then there are people who love Star Trek. They are a different type of people, I like to think a better type of people. And then there are the people who don’t like either. Those people are the dregs of society.”

—one of my lit. professors, roughly paraphrased, he said it way cooler

That's what you get when you watch Twilight
    And I quote... (Why am I thinking about that guy from that wresting TV show, RAW)?:

JUAY DE RITO?-- Joaquín López Dóriga in an interview with Anthony Hopkins

“When I first met you, you were a wide-eyed innocent.”
    “Hey! There is nothing I can do about my wide-set eyes.”

—The Office

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2011

takes a deep breath To hell with cupcakes! Muffins are win. :P”
    takes a deep breath SCREW THE MUFFINS, SCREW THEM TO HELL!!!! Cupcakes are awesome. :P”

~ The most hilarious screaming match about muffins vs cupcakes.

^^ In that vein:
    “Top of the muffin TOO YOU!”

“If you’ve ever thought that women shouldn’t write comics, you should go fuck yourself.” – A review on Gail Simone’s Secret Six

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2011

After a lengthy description of someone painstakingly slowly accessing Facebook by opening Internet Explorer, going to Google, typing in “www.facebook.com” and THEN getting to Facebook…

It is painful, PAINFUL to watch you people do this. It’s like watching someone try to drive their car by first sitting in the passenger seat, then laboriously climbing over to the driver seat only to pop the trunk up, then climbing to the back seat, dismantling it, exiting car through the trunk, and then finally walking around to the driver side door.

Part of the best blog post evar on failing at using the Internet.

Also, Gail Simone is awesome and anyone who denies this is an idiot.

“Ooooh… that’s a bingo!”

“Overall I would give this book 2 purple mustaches out of 5 because I did not want to have sex with any of the characters and not enough people died.” – A sarcastic review from a guy I know.

^^ What book?

Excel Saga

“Joffrey is truly a little shit.”

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2011

^Yes. Yes he is. Did Tyrion say that? Because that sounds like something he’d say.

Jon Snow said it to Arya. I’m still not very far in the book yet, but that line was awesome.

So far I’m liking Jon, Tyrion, and Arya. I like Ned and the other kids okay too. Catelyn is too bitchy and unreasonably mean to Jon.

“Reptiles were always a huge part of Phil’s life. He always loved the snakes, the spiders.”
    —A show on Animal Planet

...Spiders aren’t reptiles.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011

But can you imagine, spiders with snake eyes and lizard tails? DAMN.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011 edited

Several snake eyes, don’t forget. Creepiest thing about spiders is how many eyes they have. And legs. And their furriness. The non-furry ones I’m totally OK with. (yes, I pulled the legs off daddy longlegs when I was a kid)

My history professor’s description of the American presidential inauguration:

He puts his hand on the Bible and swears not to become a Communist or something.

“The hell with Norris. You’re my real partner, Lester. My life partner.”

“Don’t tease, bitch. “

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2011

“Today, I ran over a squirrel. I saw it twitching so I backed over it to end its suffering. It wasn’t a squirrel it was a kitten. The children it belonged to watched as I ran over their kitten. TWICE. FML”

I couldn’t help but burst out laughing when I read this. It’s the sort of thing they’d show on Despicable Me if it were aimed at an older audience.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011

That first scene in Dispicable Me, where he gives the boy a balloon animal and then pops it… that was amazing. It still cracks me up every time I think about it!

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011 edited

I laughed at that scene. Really hard.
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011

Something that I by chance overheard (a miracle, considering that I’m hearing impaired) when we found the door to our bags locked:

“Our bags are locked! Quick, we must save them!” ~ a fellow student.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

“There are people out there turned on by the idea of being ravaged by the emo undead and people who desperately want to believe Twilight is a documentary. These people should not meet, because they should not breed. “

• CommentAuthorDeborah

Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness—Terry Pratchett.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

“Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011

“Mark: How was work today?
    Johnny: Oh pretty good. We got a new client… at the bank. We make a lot of money.
    Mark: What client?
    Johnny: I can not tell you, its confidential.
    Mark: Oh come on. Why not?
    Johnny: No I can’t. Anyway, how is your sex life?” Who else but the one and only Tommy Wiseau?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011 edited

“Faced with his immediate death, even the coldest atheist will begin to pray.”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Curly, bahahaha! I love The Room. Rather, I love mocking The Room.

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly

Oh Hai Swenson. Hehe, me too. Haven’t actually seen it, unfortunately, but Youtube has given me a taste. When Tommy says it was meant to be a black comedy all along, I REALLY hope that’s true, considering he raised like a million dollars all by himself. But I doubt it, which just makes it even funnier.
    My Favourite part is where they are on the roof talking (She got beaten up so bad she ended up in a hosptial on cararo st “Ha, what a story Mark” hehehe), and though the dialogue is hilarious, I think I’m the only one to get a giggle out of the fact that there just happens to be two chairs there.
    YOU ARE TEARING ME APART LISA!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011

I only saw the Nostalgia Critic’s review of it, to be honest. Still hilarious!

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011

I should watch that then.
    “Lisa: Did you get your promotion?
    Johnny: Nah.
    Lisa: You didn’t get it, did you.” So much material from The Room.
    Also
    “Smoking kills. If you’re killed, you’ve lost a very important part of your life,” —Brooke Shields

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011

My two favourite quotes:

Stay on course,
    Light a star.
    Change the world
    Wherever you are.
    ~ Kate Knapp (I think)

The year is long, busy people make it short.
    The world is vast, narrow-minded people make it small.
    Nature is full of beautiful things, worriers do not see them, miss their beauty and a whole lot more!
    ~ Anon

“He ended up committing suicide at one point in his life—the end of it.”

—my art history teacher on Vincent van Gogh

She didn’t mean it to sound like that, I don’t think. Also, now van Gogh makes me think of Doctor Who.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011

From another forum, where a spammer had just posted:

“Aroint thee, spammer, aroint thee! Get ye gone before I put the fear of Cthul in you. (Cthul who, you ask? Exactly). Expose thyself to feel what wretches feel, that thou mayst shake the superflux to them, and show the heavens more just! Aroint thee, spammer! Aroint thee!”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011

I looked up “aroint” and was very excited to see it’s a real word.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011 edited

King Lear quotes are awesome. I tried to work out what it meant, but the closest I can get to the meaning of “shake the superflux to them” is that “superflux” may or may not be a reference to diarrhoea.

“Are you Graham Norton’s bitch, sir?”

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain.”

“But even granted trains, I fear that Omelas so far strikes some of you as goody-goody. Smiles, bells, parades, horses, bleh. If so, please add an orgy. If an orgy would help, don’t hesitate.”

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011

“Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don’t!”

“Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.
    Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.
    This planet has – or rather had – a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn’t the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy. And so the problem remained; lots of the people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches.”

Sorry if that’s a bit long

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian

‘My adorable Fred:
    He’s so, so sweet.
    From the crown of his head
    To the soles of his feet.
    He’s my meat.’

“This was war. War against irresponsibility, against those elements that were sabotaging — and such sabotage was clearly intolerable — the engines of the state, against the wholesale flouting of reasonable and liberal laws, especially that law which, for the community’s good, sought to limit the growth of population. All over the planet, said the luminous face with gravity, the leaders of state would be speaking — tonight or tomorrow — in similar urgent terms to their various peoples; the whole world was declaring war on itself. The severest punishments for continued irresponsibility (hurting the punishers more than the punished, it was implied); planetary survival dependent on the balance of population and a scientifically calculated minimal food supply; tighten belts; win through; evil things they would be fighting; pull together; long live the King.”

•  
      CommentAuthorCurly

From my good friend the Grim Reaper:
    “Shut up! Shut up, you American. You always talk, you Americans, you talk and you talk and say ‘Let me tell you something’ and ‘I just wanna say this.’ Well, you’re dead now, so shut up.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011

Paraphrased:

“The first thing education teaches us to do is to walk alone.”

I can’t remember the exact quote and who said it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011

^^The last one is depressing.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011

Yeah, it kind of is. It’s from the Bell Jar. A lot of that book is depressing. :c

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011

Strictly, necromancy was the telling of the future by summoning up the spirits of the dead and asking them searching questions. This, Cabal believed, was a singularly poor way of finding out anything. The dead were moderately strong on history, weak on current events, and entirely useless for discerning what was to come. They were, after all, dead.

“He produces many a ‘wine out of nowhere’ spell and is drunk every day before noon.”

“He produces many a ‘wine out of nowhere’ spell and is drunk every day before noon.”

“He is only half-aware of his uncle’s battle with the birds. The aviary horde perch on everything perchable, tarping the yard, car, roof and all in hawker-like bird waste and, of course, the letters. Every bird revels in the madness it is inducing on Uncle Saltporker. The house, under drifts of letters, molting, and birdshit, now pushes the uncle to burn anything that is represented on paper.”

So I will miss the train ride in
    And the pranks pulled by the twins.
    And though it’s nowhere I have been,
    I’ll keep on smiling from the times I had with them.

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011

Winston Churchill:

Keep calm and Carry on

Generation Y:

Go mad and Freak out

And who says Teens don’t have an opinion?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011

Marriage, it seemed, was truely an institution; in this case, something along the lines of a prison or an asylum.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011

Cabal could not have been more horrified if she’d pulled off her face to reveal a gaping chasm of eternal night from which glistening tentacles coiled and groped. That had already happened to him once in his life, and he wasn’t keen to repeat the experience.

Johannes Cabal’s response to his not-girlfriend calling him her “nimpt-bimpty snookums.”

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2011

“You know, you call me ‘bitch’ a lot. It’s not really a term of endearment.”

CAKE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH CAKE I’VE BAKED SINCE I FIRST BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF OVENS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF EACH ONE OF THOSE OVENS WAS PRODUCING FOUR HUNDRED CAKES AN HOUR EVERY DAY, IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE CAKES I HAVE BAKED FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT. FOR YOU-CAKE! CAKE!!!”

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011

This sentence is false.

"I have found that I scream that same way whether I'm being attacked by a Great White or if Sea-weed touches my Foot."

- Axl Rose.
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011

“We must rediscover the distinction between hope and expectation.” -Ivan Illich

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

“Write what you know” isn’t a rule. It’s a description.

“All right, I’ve been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD! I DON’T WANT YOUR DAMN LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! DEMAND TO SEE LIFE’S MANAGER! Make life RUE the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I’M THE MAN WHO’S GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that’s gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!” – Cave Johnson

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I was at a wedding over the weekend where there were lemon slices in the waters, and all I could think about was that quote!

I laughed so hard I was in tears the first time I heard it. Cave Johnson. <3

An abattoir is a place where they send animals and they kill them and send them to the bitches

“Now, no one knows if he’s dead, or hiding, or hiding as someone dead, but what’s for sure is that he hates you for not dying. And it’s sure that, if he is alive, he’ll try to finish off the job, probably when you are sleeping, and he’ll probably look like someone you love, just to make it worse when he murders you. So, you know, be on the look out for that, and, you know, be careful when someone loves you.”

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011

“It was a dark and stormy night. Well, actually it was only drizzling and it really hadn’t reached the twilight hours of the evening yet, but for the sake of dramatics and unneeded descriptions we shall continue to think of it in the original context.”

• CommentAuthorNo One

^^That sounds familiar. Where is it from?

•  
      CommentAuthorSharkonian

• CommentAuthorNo One