Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

What do YOU think will be the next feature of book marketing? I mean, I was shocked when I saw my first book trailer…

Book trailor? Like a movie trailor? Who does those? horrified face

Um, Rick Riordan, for one.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009

Billboards, I suppose? Banner ads on websites? It is funny, though, a lot of books don’t really get advertised much. Like, they get advertised in the book sections of stores or at the library or in bookstores, but they aren’t mass-marketed, usually.

Well, L. Ron Hubbard wrote and recorded a soundtrack for Battlefield Earth back in 1982. It’s called Space Jazz.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

That is because he needed music to be insane to.

•  
      CommentAuthorDem

On one Border’s display case, I saw the following Twilight-related items:

-Candy hearts
    -T shirts
    -Posters
    -Lunchboxes
    -Perfume
    -Cardboard cutouts
    -Bookmarks
    -Totebags
    -Action figures
    -and not a single one of the books

Oh, Borders, how you disappoint me.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkasrain

Actually, any one of those items probably gives you more value for your dollar than a copy of Twilight ;-)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Well, look on the bright side- at least there was food, as opposed to the books themselves.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I want to eat a chocolate Edward. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Life-sized? Filled with cream egg filling stuff? With icing and sprinkles?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yup. ^^

Then I would put him out in the sun on a sunny day, and melt him with a magnifying glass. =-)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

That’s a waste of chocolate and sparkly ball bearings. No point in leaving it for the flies and squirrels.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009 edited

(duh) It all melts into a giant cup. :P

Edit: Lets get back on topic.

Well, book trailers are kind of pointless. A movie trailer makes sense, because you’re going to see the movie. But you’re not going to see a book, if you get what I mean.

Maximum Ride has a soundtrack. I don’t know if that’s what you meant by playlist or not. Fans picked a bunch of songs that they thought were relavent (I couldn’t remember how to spell that for some reason). The soundtrack thing is kind of stupid. The book doesn’t play music. It’s like what SWQ said about trailers.

Oh, Borders, how you disappoint me.

Barnes & Nobles > Borders

Maximum Ride has a soundtrack.

So does Twilight.

I fail to understand what a book trailer is. Where can I find a book trailer?

As for what next, probably viral marketing.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009

I think someone once was putting together a soundtrack for Eragon. But I never saw anything about it again, so… yeah, it probably fell by the wayside.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009

There was one book (Golem) that marketed itself by presenting the internet with a riddle. There was a chash prize for solving it, and there were something like a hundred attempts at solving it before a programmer at Biola University who has a master’s degree in linguistics, has done Bible translation work and has a knowledge of biblical Hebrew and ancient Greek solved it in 4 1/2 hours of continuous work.

Needless to say, if you hadn’t heard of the book Golem… you’re not the only one. It turns out cryptography competitions only really fascinate cryptographers, which are a fringe group of society (at best).

On the same note, though, there was that one book a while back where the author hid money in various locations, and the book itself had clues for the people to find the money in an Amazing Race that spanned 50 bucks and one city. As above, the book’s sales plummeted after the $50 was found.

@RomanticVampireLover

>Barnes and Nobles > Borders

What?! Borders has a better selection, and you can search for books at the computer terminals.

And it’s Noble, not Nobles. Ugh.

And it’s Noble, not Nobles. Ugh.

Oops, that was stupid of me… Borders has a better selection of manga, as far as I can tell, but the books themselves… I honestly don’t see much of a difference. Part of the reason I’m saying this is because the Barnes and Noble I used to visit frequently in the US had a yummy coffee shop thingy inside. So I could eat a scone while reading something which was cool. So I’m biased…

Big deal. Every bookstore has a coffee shop. And the Borders coffee shop is better than the Barnes & Noble coffee shop.

So does Twilight.

For the book or the movie? Movie soundtracks are okay.

And I like Barnes and Noble better too. I like the atmosphere. I don’t care about the coffee. Borders is too open, and I can never find anything. Barnes and Noble is more cozy.

JC Hutchins wrote this book that comes with all these extra things that lead you onto the internet where you can decode an email or something, and you’ll find out a new twist to the story. Like, if you read the book, that’s a satisfying experience, but the add-ons transform it into something totally different.

His book trailer was apparently really high-quality with celebrities in it and so on. He got them to appear simply by asking, which is interesting, but irrelevant.

It’s called Personal Effects: Dark Arts.

The above example is pretty much why I started this thread.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009

Borders is like a store, and Barnes and Noble is like a library that you can incidentally buy books from. Also, the closest Barnes and Nobles (that’s a plural, not a misspelling; there’s two at about the same distance from me) has Starbucks, whereas the nearest Borders does not.

Every bookstore has a coffee shop.

That is so not true! The Borders close to me doesn’t! Hmph. ;)

• CommentAuthorTourniquet
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009

Chapters is my favorite bookstore. :) Might be because I’m Canadian though.

Anyway, back on topic:

Meyer has a playlist on her website with the songs that inspired her while writing each of her bricks.

I find playlists fun to work with, to find out how a song could fit—but my way of getting through writer’s block is to try and imagine the scene as a music video—I work better with music in the background so this method seems to work. Book trailers are entertaining to watch—an easy way to kill time, I guess.

I can’t write to music, because I ABSOLUTELYHAVETOHAVETOHAVETO sing along to each and every song I hear. I’m looking into Dream Theatre…

Anyway… back to topic slaps wrist

Really? I manage to sing along and still write… But I find I write better when I don’t sing along. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I always get distracted by the music.
    And I usually listen to music through Youtube, so I have to have a browser window open, leading to more distractions.
    When I don’t have a browser open, I get distracted by Microsoft Solitaire, though.

I thought I had problems with distraction… ;)
    I’m going shopping today for MUSIC! Yay! Second favorite kind of shopping; 1st is books. Anyway, I’m hoping to get enough CDs to keep me occupied so that I can stop relying on youtube for my music. I have 100 bucks to use, so I think it’ll suffice. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Try not to be distracted by shiny things. That always happens to me when I try to shop for music.

Hee hee. ;P

Aarrk aarrk!
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

JEREMY!!! Quick, hide, Steph is trying to steal you!

I am Jeremy.

...or… am I?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

No, you’re Steph. You can’t have 2 names, that would be weird.

Aarrk aarrk!

I guess I can’t fool you…

Aarrk aarrk!

I can’t listen to music when I write. Like Steph, I HAVE to sing along.

Hopefully, if we’re going to India in December, I can snag a large number of CDs ridiculously cheap.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

No, you’re Steph. You can’t have 2 names, that would be weird.

Actually, it’s really easy to create a second account…

Hopefully, if we’re going to India in December, I can snag a large number of CDs ridiculously cheap.

I do that with DVD’s. I’m not sure if I have any that aren’t pirated anymore… ;)

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009

My first book trailer scared me, too. My second just ruined the book for me, and now I don’t know whether I want to buy it.
    Lol at Borders.
    Dymocks is better.
    I listen to music as a sort of count down; I have to write a certain amount by the end of the song.

I don’t think this is quite serious discussion… I’m going to move it under writing.

BTW: if you go check Marvel or DC’s website, you can see video trailers of COMIC BOOK events.

Wait, I forgot. Another gimmick: graphic novels. Artemis Fowl, Twilight…

Oh God, yes, I forgot (they have Babysitter’s Club GNs!?). Oh, and manga. Vampire Kisses, Maximum Ride…