Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009

After flipping through a Chinese Zodiac (Monkey) I realized that, while not entirely accurate, they can be used as good bases for somewhat well developed, if 2 dimensional, characters.

Obviously the best way is to outline the character’s history and base their current personality off of that, but if you need some minor but at least believable characters, would astrology or zodiacs work? Would it come off as too cut-out or Sue? I think that working from a zodiac profile, in a short amount of time you can have a good character that is flawed.

What do you think?

It’s probably been done before, but yeah, I think so. Check out Fruit Baskets, it’s an anime/manga about a family of who turn into animals of the chinese zodiac when they get embarressed (better than it sounds). I haven’t watched it in years, but it’s the first thing that came to mind here.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009

Heh, better than it sounds. I don’t like anime/manga simply on principle (with possible exception to Metal Gear Panic).

Just citing an example of characters modelled out of the chinese zodiac, though differently from what you’ve suggested.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009

It would be an interesting way to get a basis for characters, I agree. I’m not really sure how they’d end up, so I can’t really say whether or not I think they’d be Sues.

I love Fruits Basket! I thought they turned into animals when they got hugged? I haven’t read the manga in a while though… But yes, I agree, it was an interesting way to use the Chinese zodiac.