Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorTourniquet
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009

Symbolism, I find, can either enhance a story, make it weaker, or not be needed at all. What do you think makes good symbolism, and not just a pretty cover a la Twilight? Why is it good/bad/neutral symbolism? How can authors integrate the symbolism without it being too obvious?

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard

Symbolism is good only when the author puts them in for a reason other than sounding deep.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Symbolism is never good. Either you completely miss it, or it's anvilicious.

I think symbolism can be good, but it’s hard to get it right. For instance, when the symbolism is blatantly obvious, it looses its meaning.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I agree partly to each of the above. RVL makes a good point, that symbolism needs to be really subtle or almost invisible, or it’s just really bad. With that in mind, Corsair makes a good point that it’s really, really difficult to make symbolism that isn’t terrible and therefore that symbolism as a whole should be avoided; and CB makes another good point that it needs to be integral to the story, and not just literary fapping.

I try to avoid symbolism, myself. Sure, there are certain bits that can come out, but I never consciously insert them.

That’s pretty dumb because almost anything in this universe can be considered in terms of symbols. A story is nothing but a bunch of organized symbols at a more abstract level. Instead of hating symbolism, accept it, but make sure the symbols you choose aren’t corny or pretentious. Be real, despite accepting the fact symbols are everywhere.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

If a writer is going to put symbolism in their story, I’d rather they made it so subtle that most people miss it. If it’s clumsily done, it’s better it were never done at all.

A good example would be ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’. The mockingbird itself was a bit anvilicious (or maybe it wasn’t- it always seemed to be for me)- but there are many other symbols that I completely missed on my first reading that only came to light when I had to read it again for English.

Everything is a symbol. Actions are symbols, characters are symbols, words are symbols—everything is build on an underlying abstract meaning. We get most out of stories when we ask what they mean to us.

When a character questions his own motives as a result of some other character’s action, it is not a mere plot point: there is also an abstract meaning to it all. These elements are just as much symbols as tone, imagery, rhythm, and anything else.

Which is why what I find what most english teachers do absurd. They never teach their students to dig deeper on their own but instead teach them shallow ways to understand stories.

I don’t mind symbolism too much, so long as you aren’t beat to death with it. I don’t like the book to shout “This is a symbol! Pay attention!” What I don’t like is when teachers find symbolism in the stupidest places. I think that a lot of the supposed symbolism comes from college professors over-analyzing things and then telling everybody else that what they think is right. Some symbolism is put in by the author, but I think some is also imagined by the reader.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I do have to agree with the “don’t make too-obvious symbols” bit. Clumsily done symbols don’t add depth to a story. They have to go unnoticed by most people, at least on the first reading, for them to actually be deep and all that. It’s like… To Kill a Mockingbird, why not. If you ask someone to read the book and find a symbol, they’re probably going to pick the mockingbird, because it’s fairly obvious. But there’s also many other symbols, like all the things that show up in the hollow. I never really thought of those as symbols until we discussed the novel in my English class (I had a great teacher that year… if only everyone could have a teacher as good as her! She encouraged us to dig into books on our own, not just follow some pre-defined little outline of What The Book Means.), but then I realized that they all mean something.

All right, something weird is going on here. What if god’s name do you people think is symbolism and what isn’t? How would you tell?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Well, to me, a symbol is something that symbolizes something (duh). It has a meaning, a deeper meaning than if you just take it literally.

• CommentTimeJul 14th 2009 edited

Then reality as a whole can be interpreted in terms of symbols and abstractions, as well as fiction. Where do college professors derive their authority to tell you what is fair game and what isn’t?

When most people think of symbols they think of tiny little pretentious games the author plays. Not true. From the first word to the last just about anything is fair game as a symbol. It’s not necessarily that the author goes “aha, symbol time” but that you as a reader derive your own meaning through reflection.

Where do college professors derive their authority to tell you what is fair game and what isn’t?...
    It’s not necissarily that the author goes “aha, symbol time” but that you as a reader derive your own meaning through reflection.

I meant that it seems like college professors (because the teachers have to learn it from somewhere) tell people that this is a symbol and this is a symbol. And they seem to believe that the author went “Aha, symbol time” with everything that they believe to be a symbol. I don’t like that they assume that what they got out of it is absolutely right, and if you don’t agree, you’re wrong.

Authorities everywhere are to be questioned. If you are careful you can catch their fallacies and they will hide it by flaunting their superficial qualifications or trying to make you look like a bad person for going against the grain. Maybe by trying to make you look unsophisticated and uncouth, as educated people do.

I think thinking and literature are very personal things and hate the way people try to bend your thinking to their own. If we see a symbol as something that can refer to a greater abstract meaning, by following the logical trail absolutely anything at all is symbolic. You have to throw in some bullshit rules and categorizations to get away with trying to somehow treat symbols as something distinct from the rest of the elements of fiction.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Sorry, to clarify… when I wrote my earlier post I had the Bible in mind, because I’m sick and tired of reading books with heavy-handed Biblical symbolism in them. Or, say, fashioning your protagonist after some ancient Greek hero that everyone ought to know about, then going ‘hey look I know my Greek mythology and I’m so smart that I put it in my book!’ Things like that. Talking of symbolism any less precise is sort of… well, ambiguous. There’s so much room for interpretation that it’s a bit ridiculous to call it deep.

Symbolism is only bad if it’s forced into the story. Symbols enter the story naturally, they are the quirks of the plot and character that give depth to them, and they develop and have a meaning that strengthens story and character.

Anvilicious symbols aren’t necessarily bad, either. Arthur Miller’s The Crucible reflects the McCarthy era he opposed and exposed its wrongfulness. It’s less obvious for us now since we have to learn the context it was written in, but when it was first written the analogy was very obvious and clear – and in that case, it worked.

Just saying, there’s no right or wrong way to go about it.

In English, we had to write a short story and deliberately insert symbolism…urgh. I’m pretty sure an author doesn’t consciously say, like someone else already pointed out, ‘Ooh, I need to put in a symbol.’

I also see what CB says about symbols being how you interpret things.

• CommentAuthorTourniquet

I had the Bible in mind, because I’m sick and tired of reading books with heavy-handed Biblical symbolism in them.

Guilty of that…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Good Biblical symbolism (or any kind of symbolism), when applicable to the situation and not thrown in so the author can talk about how clever/moral/knowledgeable/whatever they are, I don’t have a problem with. It’s when it’s obviously thrown in so the writer can be pretentious that I feel like stabbing out my eyeballs.

(I’m looking at YOU, annoyingly good-looking cover of Twilight…)

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I really hated the symbolism is in the Great Gatsby, just because it was so goddamn obvious which things were symbols and what each symbol meant. It’s been a really long time since I read the book, but I remember at the beginning of one of the chapters the narrator (Nick Carroway?) spends, like, a page and and a half talking about the eyes on some random billboard and how they’re all seeing, and how they watch over the events of the story, and how they stand in silent judgment, and so on. They’re clearly meant to represent the eyes of god. But if you’re going go to this much trouble to put a specific idea into your story, why don’t you just address it directly? To me, symbolism is a way to express heavy or abstract ideas without disrupting the narrative or compromising the narrator. In the Great Gatsby, however, it would be far more natural to just bring up god, rather than have Nick contemplate the meaning of a goddamn billboard.

[/rant]

In conclusion, I think english class would be a lot more interesting if the emphasis was taken off of finding symbols, motifs, and themes and placed on the actual storytelling.

A story is a symbol godfuckingdammit.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator

I disagree, the Great Gatsby’s symbolism is what made it so great. This is from a Literature student’s point of view though, but damn, Fitzgerald made it easy to ace my exams. I liked the billboard of Dr T.J. Eckleburg personally, it was a clever metaphor – the overlooking eyes of God slapped onto a billboard for profit. The death of religion and rise of consumerism, etc.

At least, it made a good essay.

EDIT:

A story is a symbol godfuckingdammit.

I think we all know that (God help who doesn’t), but generally people tend to focus on the symbols within the story that give it more depth. Critics tend to look at the entire piece as a whole rather than specific bits and pieces, but when they talk about it they’ll talk about whatever’s most relevant to the topic at hand, whether that’s dialogue or colour imagery. Everything in a piece of literature is written the way it is for a reason, critics interpret those reasons to different contexts and look to understand what it tells about the author, the context, the message, etc…

I really hated the symbolism is in the Great Gatsby, just because it was so goddamn obvious which things were symbols and what each symbol meant.

We had to analyze that book to death. I liked Dr. TJ Ecklburg, though. What I didn’t like was analyzing all the names of the characters. Daisy Faye. Faye means “fairy.” Ooooh. Some guy was supposed to be like Daniel Boon or something. I didn’t really like The Great Gatsby. I didn’t connect with any of the characters (maybe that was the point). I understand why people love it, but I need at least one character that I can root for. I didn’t like any of these people. They don’t have to be the “good guy” to be likeable. It did get interesting toward the end. My favorite character was probably Gatsby’s dad. The end was depressing, but good.

I’ve gone off on a tangent, sorry.

I predominantly agree with CB in very personal interpretation of symbolism in books. That is why I believe that many literature courses (beyond those that merely make you aware of symbolism. Otherwise I wouldn't understand a bit of it at all) are bunk as they state: THESE ARE THE SYMBOLS OF THE BOOK! DA DA DA!

I think that there can be specific symbols within the book that were intended by the author and that intentional symbolism should always be treated carefully by an author. Don't fall into "symbolitis," struggling to form a symbol or a theme and then shoving it into the book. If you feel passionate about a particular matter, it will come through your writing no matter what.

What I didn’t like was analyzing all the names of the characters. Daisy Faye. Faye means “fairy.”

But there were thematic names in the cases of Daisy and Myrtle, both named after common plants and both connected to Tom. Also the ‘fairy’ metaphor is used a couple times (Fitzgerald describes Gatsby’s world as ‘suspended on fairy wings’ at one point) so it’s not there just because. The Great Gatsby’s one of those books that’re around to Make A Point, so it is full of symbols… it works, though.

As a piece of art, The Great Gatsby’s quite rich… but it’s not the most enjoyable read, because of all the Deeper Meanings Fitzgerald shoved in.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

Perhaps. Me, I just couldn’t get past the idea that a first person narrator was contemplating a billboard. I mean, what kind of wierdo talks about billboards? I don’t think it would annoy me as much if Nick wasn’t telling the story in the first person (this is a problem I have with a lot of literature). I read sections like that and I think “what kind of person actually thinks like that.”

But there were thematic names in the cases of Daisy and Myrtle, both named after common plants and both connected to Tom.

I understand your point, but I just didn’t like the whole “all their names are meaningful” thing. Maybe they were, but they seemed to expect us to know how all the names related to other things. I didn’t know that Faye meant fairy before.

EDIT: @Art
    Yeah, I would imagine that the average person doesn’t look at billboards for hours and analyze their sinificance. I like in the movie (I don’t like the movie, but this part was funny) when Wilson is looking out the window at it and says, “God is watching.” And Myrtle says something like, “It’s an advertisement!”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009

Fey is an old(ish) word for fairies, I suppose that’s where it’s from.

Probably so.

Whenever I think symbolism, I think Narnia. In that series, the story is for the sake of the symbols, not the other way around.

Despite this, I don’t mind Narnia‘s symbols that much, even though they would have annoyed me in other books; the author has made it plain that he has wrote the series for the sake of the symbols, not create obvious symbols and pass them off as smart.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009

It would be nice if the symbols were a little more subtle, though.

Agreed.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009

In Chronicles of Narnia, I think the very obvious-ness of the symbols is what makes it not annoying. It’s not that Lewis was trying to be clever and insert Important Symbolism TM into the books. He meant to have them from the very beginning, and he wasn’t trying to hide them or make them mysterious. Because they’re right out in the open, I think people don’t get annoyed by them.

Swenson just put my thoughts into words a dozen times better than mine. :D

Lewis made it clear that he wrote the book for the sake of delivering these symbols, not saturate the story with obvious symbols just to be seen as intellegent. Unlike a few people out there. Paolini comes to mind.

Swenson just put my thoughts into words a dozen times better than mine. :D

Ditto. Bravo swenson! :P