Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

It’s a program where you take a book, leave it somewhere public for someone else to find, they read it, and it gets passed on. I found a book, ‘July’s People’ by Nadine Gordimer, yesterday from this program. It’s actually a really cool idea.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009

I might do that with a Richard Dawkins book just for the lulz.

Lol set it down in a church, “I’ll just leave this here…”

And I’ll leave a Dinesh D’Souza book to even things out.

Then you can start bets on how long it takes for the church peoples to burn/eradicate the dawkins book. =P

• CommentTimeJul 11th 2009

Hmm, I don't go to church, but I may just figure out where a religious club on campus meets every time and leave it there beforehand.

Nice!

that was sarcasm by the way :P

•  
      CommentAuthorInkasrain
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009

Seriously, would they be intimidated by that, or something?

It's not to intimidate them. If even one of them starts to think outside the box then I have done my duty.

Most likely they'll get all emotional and burn the books, Which is why I'll have to buy a used copy.

But there is lulz to be had any way it goes.

No, just morally outraged and indignant.

But Bookcrossings sounds like a great idea! Now, to find a Tamora Pierce book and leave it somewhere…

Moral outrage is how thinking begins.

Won’t 99% of people see the book and think it’s been misplaced, thus ignoring it?

Humans are curious creatures by nature. If it stays in that room for too long eventually curiosity will win.

@ Dr. Alligator: There’s a little thingy on the front that says ‘I’m not lost, I’m on a journey! Pick me up, read me, and release me!’ So that’s not really an issue.

I should leave a copy of Eragon, annotated copiously in red ink by Thor Axegrinder and SwankIvy, in a school library.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Won’t 99% of people see the book and think it’s been misplaced, thus ignoring it?

Naaaah. If it’s me, I think “FREE BOOK!” and grab it.

• CommentAuthorGolcondio

Paper books are SO last century: now it’s cooler to just “misplace” a pen-drive full of e-books!

Or an exclusive collection of the malware of choice…

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Naaaah. If it’s me, I think “FREE BOOK!” and grab it.

Same.

<<
    >>

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Bookcrossings sounds like so much fun! I should start doing it around school/town/wherever. Maybe I can even get people to read good books, as opposed to gag Twilight.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Oooh, does sound fun! Must plant Alison Weir books…

And Alien, whoot on the Tamora Pierce!

Oooh, would it not be nice to put out the copy of Twilight drowned in red ink and massacred by Captain Ehren fron the Sue Destroyer?

@Dan – that plan is too good not to put it to action