Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Has anyone read this series? What did you think of them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009

Why is there two same threads?

My connection can be temperamental, so when it displayed an "error this page can not be found", I went back and hit it again.

I see.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009

I deleted the extra one.

Thanks.
    I've finished the last one so I will give a short critique. It is written from the perspective of Ellie, a teenager who is camping with six of her friends when Australia is invaded. They are camping in a place called Hell, which is a nearly inaccessible valley, so they do not notice anything unusual except for some planes flying with no lights. The rest of the series is spent in Animorphs-like attacks. Ellie can seem Sue-ish at times, but not much more then can be attributed to pure luck. The tone of the books is like the Shadow Children series by Haddix. The first three books have a dash of the A-Team, and I enjoyed them more. John Marsden, the author, added mental and emotional issues to their fights, could I kill someone in cold blood ect. I won't type much about the ending except that it is not a "happily ever after" deal, or even exactly a happy one.

I’ve only read it twice through. I thought it was good, but I found it difficult to remember what guerilla attack happened in which book.

I liked it, although my personal taste doesn’t run towards so much sex and swearing.

Have you heard of the Ellie Chronicles- While I Live, Incurable, and Circle of Flight?

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009

Books with sex and swearing > books with unrealistic sugarcoated characters/dialogue/plotlines.

I agree. Whatever’s realistic for the story you’re telling.

I prefer books with realistic plots and no sex. I find that sex scenes add nothing to the plot and lower my opinion of the morality in the book. Yes it can be difficult to remember what attack happens where and when. My biggest technical problem with the attacks, is the use of petrol, or gas, in their attacks, because liquid gas does not explode.

I prefer books with realistic plots and no sex.

Ditto. I don’t usually mind sex all that much, but when it’s explicit with all the gasping and thrusting, I usually end up not finishing the book because I’m so grossed out. ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009

I usually end up not finishing because I’m too busy laughing at the author’s description.

Sometimes authors get it right, though, Haruki Murakami is the first that springs to mind.

Well, mostly I meant about swearing. One time, I just picked up this book in my aunt’s house, and it had a sex-scene, and the description was just…urgh! Gross. Scarred me for life, just a bit.

Lets get back on topic, shall we?

Yes, that would be most welcome.