Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009 edited

Was Actually Good!

I was rather surprised. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

I was surprised that no-one considered that it might be a better idea for Jack to leave the Hub. That way, only 1 person has to leave, Gwen and Ianto are secure underground, and the Hub isn’t destroyed. If he just dived into the bay or something, few innocents would be killed, and they might even get some of the government agents too. Or they could catch Jack in the time bubble that Toshiko completed after her death, so the bomb wouldn’t have to detonate.
    Why are there still some people who think that aliens don’t exist? What more proof do they want?
    And why does everyone speak to the children as if it isn’t obvious that they’re being mind-controlled?

...apart from that, though, it was alright, I suppose.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

few innocents would be killed

I think you pretty much said it there. One base = plot device boom v. Innocent Civilians?

They’re good guys!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

But they need their equipment and stuff! To save more people than would be injured in a detonation underwater in a disused dock at night when there’s no-one around but a hostile special forces team!for the greater good and all that.
    ...and they’re all morally conflicted and stuff anyway – Jack doesn’t go out of his way to help the doctor out with his missing patients, for eg.

Speaking of Jack, why doesn’t Ianto hate him anymore? He killed his girlfriend in front of him, provoking Ianto to vow eternal hatred, to kill him through inaction if the chance arose, etc., and two episodes later… where did the character development go?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009

I don’t think I’m going to watch that last episode again…

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Likewise.

I think this minseries increased steadily in quality over the week.
    A few things bother me, though:
    Surely there was more than one 456? Why can’t they carry out the threat anyway?
    Since when does the US/UN/UNIT have precedence over Parliamentary sovereignty?

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Fiction writers have an overinflated perspective on how important the U.N. is. Actually, a lot of people have that issue.

Yeah, just look at Left Behind. What a mistake that book was.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Fiction writers have an overinflated perspective on how important the U.N. is. Actually, a lot of people have that issue.

GOOD THING THE UN DIDN’T DO ANYTHING.

Surely there was more than one 456? Why can’t they carry out the threat anyway?

Because I assumed the frequency transmitted over all the 456. Not just that one/however many where in the tank.

Since when does the US/UN/UNIT have precedence over Parliamentary sovereignty?

I think it was more a case of the more charasmatic people taking control. Green (ohlol) was sitting there rather helplessly, so the black American militay person stepped in, because he could. UNIT didn’t do anything, which was rather disappointing.

Did we ever remember who Scary Protect The State Lady worked for? Or rather, what their group was called?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I don’t think we learned her/organisation’s name. She worked for the government, and had nothing to do with aliens. Probably whichever MI unit does the internal stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011 edited

I’ve finally started watching Miracle Day and I’m not sure if I’m laughing or wanting to rip my ears out.

It’s cool, I’m going to go with this beach car chase. For now.

Edit: ohhhhh. The end of episode one is bad. I do not want to continue. I mean, I hated Torchwood series, but at least Children of Earth convinced me that RTD could pull it off in a different format.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011

OH MAN.

I love the Big Gay Steward as much as PC Andy. <3

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’m watching Miracle Day. I’d have to say it’s painfully mediocre compared with Children of Earth, but there are some good bits nonetheless.

Also, Rhys. :D

I refuse to watch Miracle Day. I liked the original series (maybe more than I’m willing to admit) despite (maybe because of) it’s crappiness, but then most of the cast died and I was an emotional wreck (shut up. Though it was my own fault for watching the entirety of Children of Earth in one sitting)

Besides, I mercifully don’t have digital cable, so I can’t be tempted to watch it. Maybe when it hits DVD.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Hahah, I have the advantage. The series was so bad I didn’t care about any of the cast! (Except for Rhys and PC Andy – and now the Big Gay Steward).

I thought I like Tosh and Ianto… and then, well, EH. Objectively, it was sad. But that’s all.

Although I’m starting to like Gwen. This is a new feeling for me, hmmm.

Well, I have no idea why I even liked it because looking back, there were so many stupid, narmy episodes and it was draining and depressing and “everyone dies and there is nothing after death but black blackness kthnxbai”.

Although I’m starting to like Gwen. This is a new feeling for me, hmmm.

Ew, why?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Ew, why?

Because she’s refreshingly British amongst the PLAGUE OF YANKS.

Hahahahahah. I’m so funny.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Because she’s refreshingly British amongst the PLAGUE OF YANKS.

Yeah, I think I’m convinced that setting Miracle Day in America was a bad move.

Yeah, I think I’m convinced that setting Miracle Day in America was a bad move.

That’s the other reason I don’t want to watch it. lol.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Well, to be honest, with the storyline, it makes sense.

I’m getting rather distressed at the lack of the American Reporter. ALL THIS NEWS AND SHE’S NOT THERE. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

...I’m on episode 5. WHY AM I ON EPISODE 5? IT’S NOT EVEN THAT BRILLIANT.

Still no American Reporter. I think I’m going to cry. ;_;

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Her hair was bad, so they probably nixed her.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

But she’s in everything! If you need an American Reporter, she’s there!

She’s like a modern-day staple of the Whoniverse.

Also, I caught up and can watch the next episode (7) tonight in about ten minutes. I can’t believe I’ve spent all day watching Torchwood.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011 edited

Ok, no more snarkiness. THAT WAS BLOODY FANTASTIC.

omgomgomgomg.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I actually was able to resist clicking on the hidden text because I haven’t watched the latest episode yet. High five to me!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

High five!

When’re you watching it? :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

...after dinner.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011

WELL?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Fudge! I couldn’t find it on sidereel, so I completely forgot. D:

I’m horrible. I’ll watch it when I’m waiting for my laundry this evening. Promise. D:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

It’s mostly filler – but it’s character filler, which is why I love it. Also, Plot. She might be moving forward.

I’ve never seen this show and I have no intention of ever seeing it, but I did see a little thumbnail picture over the review of the latest episode on the AV Club, and holy shit, it has Mekhi Phifer AND the guy that played Jane’s dad in Breaking Bad? That’s almost enough to tempt me.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011

I’m watching ep. 8 right now… I had a squee moment when Jack mentioned Ianto. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

GAH. I HATE YOU FOR BEING AHEAD.

La la la la, I’m not listening.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

It was beautiful. single tear

the guy that played Jane’s dad in Breaking Bad?

I think I noticed Q being in it, but I can’t remember.

Anyway, my dad watches this show (I don’t). I told him that Torchwood was a Doctor Who spin-off (he watched Children of Earth too when it marathoned on BBCA), and he was very surprised. He always tells me that Doctor Who is stupid, even though he’s never watched and would probably like it if he did. I think he does it just to bug me. I don’t know why I don’t have an interest in watching Miracle Day. I think it’s because I haven’t seen the other Torchwood stuff and like to see everything in order.

I haven’t seen the other Torchwood stuff and like to see everything in order.

Torchwood is great…if you like banging you head against a wall at the stupidity of it, and then being emotionally gutted at the end.

I think I liked it a lot more when I was watching it then I do now, thinking back on it. (though, admittedly, a lot of my liking for it came from squeeing at Jack drool)

From what I recall, it started off as a cheesy Angel fanfic put on screen, to a somewhat decent X-Files knockoff, to a pretty good serial that almost put its parent series to shame, to, well, Miracle Day.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011

That was… I don’t think I’ve ever seen Torchwood described so accurately.

A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR MARQUIS.

So, I started watching Torchwood with my friend…it’s fun, but Doctor Who is obviously waaay better. I mean really? An alien that lives off orgasmic energy??

So, I started watching Torchwood with my friend…it’s fun, but Doctor Who is obviously waaay better. I mean really? An alien that lives off orgasmic energy??

Lolz, that was ridiculous, yeah.

An alien that lives off orgasmic energy??

Hot.

Hey, pipsqueak, watch your language! Yeesh, kids these days :P