Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorAri
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited

Yes, that is me. I found the book that Christopher Paolini has obviously been sleeping next to since forever. It’s freaking huge.

And yes, that is my real face. I always look that happy.

Nice, Ari. ;)

• CommentAuthorLccorp2
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009

You’re not related to Mr. Smiley, are you?

Hee hee! :D

Also; can I hook you up with my brother? I think you both have a lot in common…

I’ll tell him your interested :D

• CommentAuthorFenix

I always wondered who misses pacman _really_ was.
    • CommentAuthorAri

@Dan: It depends. Is your brother Hugh Jackman?

HOW DID YOU LEARN MY LAST NAME D:

No, don’t be silly. I am his forsaken son! >:D
    But no, no relation.

EDIT:
    checks profile

Oh. :D

I always wondered who misses pacman really was.

Looks like she put on weight. A whole 100 lb body worth.

• CommentAuthorAri

Hey, don’t you know it’s rude to guess a woman’s weight? D:

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Who says your a woman?

• CommentAuthorAri

You’re right…what if I’m not a woman? What a surprise that’ll be! How can I tell if I’m a woman or not?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

If your in the kitchen, you’re a woman.

That’s a really interesting cover – I’ve never seen it before. (I have the Angela originals that will someday be collector’s items). But yes, you did find it. Even when I like Inheritance, I said he wrote like he was standing next to a thesaurus.

By the way, you have lovely hair.

Hey, don’t you know it’s rude to guess a woman’s weight? D:

Argh! Darn you Fenix for giving me an irresistible set up for a joke that I knew would anger Ari. What’s next? You going to hum the first few bars of “shave & a haircut”?

• CommentAuthorAri

I like that cover better. I would have grabbed the other one but it was the boxed set, and I’m too weak to heft three bricks around.

And I love that thesuarus. One million synonyms!

And I love that thesuarus. One million synonyms!

And CP used all of them.

• CommentAuthorFenix

Argh! Darn you Fenix for giving me an irresistible set up for a joke that I knew would anger Ari. What’s next? You going to hum the first few bars of “shave & a haircut”?

hum hum hum

I don’t know the song, but I think listening to it would make me fall right into your trap.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT

I don’t know the song, but I think listening to it would make me fall right into your trap.

It goes DUM-diddley-dum-dum-DUM-DUM. It’s really chessy, usually played at the end of a cartoon… um… just go here – you should know it when you see it.

•  
      CommentAuthorOverlordDan

No, its;

Ba ba-da BA BA, ba BA!
    Shave and a haircut; Two Bits!

EDIT: Curses! Beaten to the punch!

• CommentAuthorFenix

You’re right, I saw the musical notation and I recognised it immediately.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I like your shirt.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

IT'S SHINY

*ogles*

Your necklace is very pretty, too.

Ur neckless. I wantz it.

@ Smartalien: what do the originals look like?

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009 edited

Wait, what? What originals?

I’m sorry if it’s painfully obvious, please excuse my sleep-deprived stupidity.

Original angela copies.

Oh. They’re the ones that look like this:

I heard somewhere that his sister Angela drew the original covers.

I thought he drew them.

• CommentAuthorFenix

If either he or his sister drew them than I have to say they’re pretty good, maybe they should consider a career change?

Oh, sorry, this

is the original cover art, which CP drew himself (however, he also wrote the book “by himself”) and had it photoshopped by his Grandma Shirley. The afore-mentioned jacket art was drawn by John Jude Palencar, and CP named the Palancar Valley after him.

Even that cover is pretty cool. I like it as much as the Palancar one.

CP should definitely consider a career change. His drawing is much better than his writing.

His drawing is much better than his writing.

I’m sure a five year old could draw a better picture than his writing though… ;)

I was reading his wiki page, and it says that he spent tons of time working on it, researching and stuff, and creating the language with Angela and working very hard for years… and he still came out with Star Wars: IN MIDDLE EARTH.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Eragon received mixed reviews by critics. Liz Rosenberg of The New York Times Book Review criticized it for having “clichéd descriptions”, “B-movie dialogue”, “awkward and gangly” prose, and a plot that “stumbles and jerks along, with gaps in logic and characters dropped, then suddenly remembered, or new ones invented at the last minute”. However, she concluded the review by noting that “for all its flaws, it is an authentic work of great talent”.[7] School Library Journal wrote that Eragon is “overly simplistic in its resolution of plot issues”.[8] Common Sense Media called Eragon’s dialogue “long-winded” and “clichéd”, with a plot “straight out of Star Wars by way of The Lord of the Rings, with bits of other great fantasies thrown in here and there.” The website did concede that the book is a notable achievement for such a young author, and that it would be “appreciated” by younger fans.[9]

Favorable reviews of Eragon often focused on the book’s strong characters and tight plot. IGN’s Matt Casamassina called the book “entertaining”, and added that “Paolini demonstrates that he understands how to hold the reader’s eyes and this is what ultimately separates Eragon from countless other me-too fantasy novels.”[10] Chris Lawrence of About.com thought the book had all the “traditional ingredients” that make a fantasy novel “enjoyable”. The book was a “fun read” for him because it is “quick and exciting” and “packed” with action and magic. Lawrence concluded his review by giving the book a rating of 3.8/5, commenting that “the characters are interesting, the plot is engrossing, and you know the good guy will win in the end.”[11]

Eragon was the third best-selling children’s hardback book of 2003,[12] and the second best-selling paperback of 2005.[13] It placed on the New York Times Best Seller list for 121 weeks.[14] In 2006, the book was awarded with a Nene Award by the children of Hawaii.[15] It won the Rebecca Caudill Young Reader’s Book Award the same year.[16]

I like how all the good review say that Eragon is only great for it’s characters and plot it copied from Star Wars.

Common Sense Media called Eragon’s dialogue “long-winded” and “clichéd”, with a plot “straight out of Star Wars by way of The Lord of the Rings, with bits of other great fantasies thrown in here and there.”

I knew there was a reason it was called “Common Sense” Media…

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009

How is “knowing the good guy will win in the end” a good thing? I find stories in which there’s some doubt about the eventual victor to be far more exciting.

It’s good for little kids, I suppose. They don’t want the good guy to die.

Kids should learn that life is a bitch. It is not the good guy who lives, it is the most competent guy who does:P
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

Kids get bored easily. Making it uncertain whether or not a character will survive/succeed provokes more excitement and tension, and so ensures their continued attention.