Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010

For some reason, I always imagined Varys as that bald guy from the new Mummy movies. God, now I have to reread GoT and find all the other books.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010

God, now I have to reread GoT and find all the other books.

I’m doing that by audiobook. :D

Ooh, they look to similar to how I imagined them! I is pleased. And I can’t wait for the show to finally start. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102137-Game-of-Thrones-to-Become-an-Actual-Game

A real-time/turn-based strategy game, eh? Sounds like Total War. Which is likely a good thing.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

So, the casting for this series has been ridiculously good so far. They even got rid of the one casting choice I thought wasn’t right (Daenerys was totally wrong at first, but the replacement is great). Littlefinger just seals the deal, because The Wire is more or less the best television series ever produced. Dare I say that it’s the A Song of Ice of Fire of police procedurals? Yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

@ Moldorm:

Sounds awesome. But am I the only one who was bothered by the fact that the person that wrote the article kept saying Song of Fire and Ice?

You watch The WIre, Sly? You deserve a brofist.

All in the game, B.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010

Charles Dance (Mr. Tulkinghorn in Bleak House, Lord Vetinari in Going Postal and Dr. Maltravers in Trinity) has been cast as Tywin, which pleases me. However, UK screening rights to Game of Thrones have been bought by Sky, to which my response is unprintable.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011

O.O It better be true… If it is: AHHH I AM SO EXCITED!! If it isn’t: Damn you, George R R Martin. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

YES!!! Now I just need to finish Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows...

Oh, and I loved this bit:

Barring tsunamis, general strikes, world wars, or asteroid strikes, you will have the novel in your hands on July 12.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Right. I need to reread the books.. or at least a summary before I begin. I’m desperately out of touch with what happened.

Oh my goodness, I am EXCITED, and I haven’t even finished A Game of Thrones!!!

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

I’m so pumped.

First the TV show, now this…it’s a good time to be an ASOIAF fan, I guess.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011

Update on Game of Thrones: the preview of first episode (the first fifteen-ish minutes) is now online. Watch it here.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

I was pretty pleased with the preview. I imagined a lot of things differently, but I think this will be a representative take of how GRRM wrote the books. Of course, it helps that he had such an active part in the script writing.

I’m working hard to finish AGoT before the premiere.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Good luck. You’ve got less than two weeks.

Well, I should be able to at least get far enough so that the first couple episodes don’t spoil anything. Then I should be done shortly after it starts, if not before.

A Dance with Dragons is apparently finished.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011 edited

Another awesome episode of Game of Thrones. Loved Littlefinger and Syrio Forel, and Tyrion is still fun.

Syrio was awesome, and Littlefinger was pretty much exactly what I expected him to be. Based on the actor, though, I’ll bet he gets even better as the season progresses.

I’m keeping the episode as a reward after my APUSH test on Friday. :P Motivation to survive, indeed- I MUST SEE LITTLEFINGER.

I MUST SEE LITTLEFINGER.

If you’d watched The Wire already, you’d be quite familiar with him.

I might not have time to watch it until Friday either, SWQ. Lots of studying/last minute work to get done. Hopefully I can watch it before then.

If you’d watched The Wire already

If this is a subtle admonition, know that I’m waiting for AP exams to blow over before getting into The Wire. :)

If this is a subtle admonition

It isn’t, since my admonitions are never subtle. It’s just a little ribbing, and a half-assed pitch to any Wire non-watchers reading. Aiden Gillen is a weasel’s weasel.

Aiden Gillen is a weasel’s weasel.

In that case, he should be a great Littlefinger.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011

I love Tyrion’s actor.

There was one small detail I didn’t like about the episode, when Jamie said “The king eats and the Hand wipes” instead of “The King eats the food and the Hand takes the shit.”

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011

I think Jamie said “The king shits and the Hand wipes.” Not that it makes much difference. I still prefer the line from the book, though.

Damn it! The Hound was supposed to tell the story.

@NP – I KNOW! I am so glad I was not the only one irritated with this – it is not a nitpick, it completely ruins shifts the dynamic of the relationship between the Hound and, er, this other character. Why didnt GRRM say something about it? He is the executive producer, after all.

If I wanted to hazard a guess, they wanted to show Littlefinger creeping out on Sansa.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011

Just got through the Red Wedding in Storm of Swords, and I have some thoughts:

My dad is reading Game of Thrones. He doesn’t like it…but that’s not stopping him from sitting and reading the book when he has work to do.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011 edited

I suspect giving Littlefinger that bit of exposition was A) for time, B) to show just how clued in he is to people’s secrets, and C) to add more weight to the Hound being the only guy to step up when Gregor loses his shit on the Knight of Flowers, even though there’s plenty of badass dudes nearby.

This week feels like the best episode so far, and weirdly it had the most TV-only scenes. I guess it’s because the focus is more on adapting the novel into television, rather than just recreating scenes from the book line-for-line.

Also it’s officially an HBO show now since it’s the first time we’ve seen an exposed wang. I thought it was kinda neat they were putting more focus on Theon this early, but that was probably a little much.

Book but not TV spoiler:

This might be the first week I can actually watch GoT when it airs. Of course, commercials. Fast-forward might be better.

HBO doesn’t have commercials, yo.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011

Fast-forward might be better.

My dad gets irritated at Robert’s dialogue really fast and tends to fast-forward through it, even though he gets really confused about the plot when he does that. I just finished the books though, so I get what’s going on. I’ve been having to explain it to him.

How can he get irritated by Robert’s dialogue? Addy’s been lights-out so far. Madness.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011

@Sansafro

I think the problem is that in the book, we can get back story spread out, not just in dialogue. It’s not the acting so much as it is that all the background has to be info-dumped, and they seem to choose Robert for that especially. I have to admit, I had the same issues with it for the first two episodes, but I really like the TV show now.

I’ve really liked Addy as well.

What say you all about Lena Heady as Cersei? So far I’m not quite sure but I absolutely loved their scene in the newest episode. It feels like the moments that weren’t in the book are some of the most interesting on the screen.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011 edited

I love Lena Heady as Cersei. We don’t really understand her in the first book, and it’s great to see more depth in the show.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011 edited

I think Lena Heady’s been great, but she hasn’t been given that much to do yet, this week excepted. I’ll be interested in seeing how she holds up once next season rolls around and Cersei gets to, well, you know. I may be biased since I think she’s really hot for some reason.

As far as Robert doing lots of exposition duty, I suspect it’s because character-wise, he’s the character who’s most defined by his longing for the old days requiring said exposition, and by the distinction between the man he is now and the man he used to be. Economy of characterization, I guess. I think it works pretty well, and I really buy Addy as a storyteller.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011

When I read the books I always imaged Tyrion with black hair and a beard for some strange reason, but I think Peter Dinklage does a great job playing Tyrion. He’s by far my favorite character in the series.

Tyrion does have a beard post-Aerie, though it remains to be seen whether they’ll give him one in the show. I’m guessing not, since it might obscure Dinklage’s face too much or something.

His hair is stated to be blonde multiple times though. He’s a Lannister, after all.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011

His hair is stated to be blonde multiple times though. He’s a Lannister, after all.

It’s mentioned so many times that my friend is determined that there must be some sort of symbolism to it. After English class, everything must have symbolism.

I don’t think it is a symbol, but it’s definitely a significant plot point. That’s probably why they keep mentioning it.

Well, it’s a symbol that he’s a Lannister…

GRRM’s never struck me to be overly fond of symbolism, except in cases where it’s so on the nose(and commented upon by characters) that you can’t really count it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011

I know, for some reason I just imaged him that way. I guess I’m used to the stereotypical fantasy “dwarf.”

Yeah, I get what you mean. That’s where my mental image of a dwarf defaults as well.

I finished A Game of Thrones last night. I have to finish rereading Harry Potter before I can read the others. I’m really excited to read the others, and I’m surprised by how much I liked it. It’s not the type if thing I’d think I’d like.

Oh NP, you’ve barely scratched the surface of weird shit in these books, and also action. Books 2 and 3 are pretty much nothing but shit hitting the fan and flinging that shit into other fans and those fans fling it into even more fans and then even more shit starts flying and so forth.

Lena Headey as Cersei is one of my favorite things about this series. Every scene she is in, she is absolutely haunting.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011 edited

Every scene she is in, she is absolutely haunting. hot.

Yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011

A lot of people seem to like Arya or Sansa, but not both. Is this a common thing?

A lot of people seem to like Arya or Sansa, but not both

I like both.

People dislike Arya? I can see why some people dislike Sansa, though. She took awhile to click for me.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2011

Same here. I hated Sansa all through Game of Thrones, but I started liking her in Clash of Kings. Maybe I just started feeling sorry for her…

I really don’t like her right now. I feel bad for her, but most of the stuff she kind of brings on herself (I’ve only read A Game of Thrones). She’s probably a fairly realistic prissy eleven/twelve-year old, but she’s still infuriating.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean

I feel bad for her, but most of the stuff she kind of brings on herself (I’ve only read A Game of Thrones)

I had the same feeling about her after Game of Thrones, but after the second book…No one should have to deal with that hell. It’s Break the Cutie to the extreme.

No one should have to deal with that hell. It’s Break the Cutie to the extreme.

I have possible inklings of what that might be based on something I saw on IMDb.

On a completely different and not at all serious note, the guy who plays Jaime Lannister reminds me of Prince Charming from Shrek. The hair style helps.

•  
      CommentAuthorEbelean

On a completely different and not at all serious note, the guy who plays Jaime Lannister reminds me of Prince Charming from Shrek. The hair style helps.

Yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach

People dislike Arya?

Apparently, which I always found bizarre, as Arya’s my second-favorite character, after Tyrion. Then again, I’ve always had a thing for budding serial killers.

Today’s episode was great. Although the Viserys scene at the end…him pleading for mercy just made everything worse, which I’m sure was the intention.

Yeah, that was a fantastic scene. I wish I could get stupid HBO Go to register so I could watch next week’s ep already.

I’ve been rereading the books in prep for the Book 5 release(and to keep refreshed for the TV show). I’m about a hundred pages into Storm of Swords, and I’d somehow forgotten how badass the Tyrells are.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011

The latest episode of the TV series annoyed me somewhat. Tyrion’s role in the battle was downplayed so much. Also, Shae is totally changed. Utterly. Why?

Tyrion’s role in the battle was downplayed so much.

Argh. That really annoyed me. He didn’t even get to participate at all.

Tyrion’s role in the battle was downplayed so much.

I wasn’t all that pissed about the whole lack-of-battles debacle for three reasons:
    a) TV budget. I’d rather they didn’t do it at all rather than do it half-assed
    b) Tyrion’s a dwarf. Sure, Gimli’s a dwarf and he can kick ass, but I always found it kind of unbelievable that Tyrion would even do semi-well in the battle. The fact that he got knocked out by his own men was kind of lame, but you know, whatever. I didn’t really care.
    c) I always skimmed the battle scenes in the books anyway.

However, the main reason the lack of actual battle was a problem for me was for plot-related reasons.
    a) the strategy and general goings-on would be completely confusing to the nonreader. Everything should have been cleared up somehow through dialogue even if it wasn’t explicitly shown, but it wasn’t.
    b) Storywise, it was anticlimactic, considering all the time that had been used to build up Lannister v. Stark enmity. I didn’t care so much about Tywin’s forces, but showing Jaime actually being captured and fleshing that scene out could have been so cool, and wouldn’t have even required much in the $ department. Instead, we had all of 2-3 minutes devoted to that part.

The whole drinking game with Bronn and Shae was weird as well. I know I’m going to get crucified for saying this, but I almost wish they’d replaced Shae with Ros. I actually found Ros somewhat entertaining and closer to Shae’s original character, while Shae now seems superfluous as just another whore.

However, Ned’s execution and his conversation with Varys were both perfectly done. Sean Bean really went out with a bang.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011

Wow, now that you mention it, it could have worked perfectly for Ros to have been used instead of Shae. For a whore, Ros got an absurd amount of screen time. And she was traveling south rather slowly enough to have met up with the Lannister encampment.

To be perfectly honest, since they didn’t cast Nora Zehetner as Shae, there was no way in hell I was going to be happy with her. _

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011

I know I’m going to get crucified for saying this, but I almost wish they’d replaced Shae with Ros. I actually found Ros somewhat entertaining and closer to Shae’s original character, while Shae now seems superfluous as just another whore

Absolutely agreed.

Natalie Dormer has been cast as Margaery Tyrell for S2. I haven’t seen the Tudors, but apparently she’s been a fan favorite for some role in the shows.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011

Her? Nothing at all like I pictured Margaery. Also… I hated her in the Tudors. :|

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011

Also….isn’t she a little old? Margaery is what, sixteen? I’d assume they’d probably bump her up to 18 for the purposes of the show, considering she spends most of her time getting married, but even so….the actress looks like she’s pushing 30.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011

For some reason Arya looks more like a girl with her hair cut short.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011

Listening to Feast for Crows. I’m maybe a third of the way through. Here’s my thoughts so far:

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011

I finished The Sworn Sword yesterday. It was good, but I didn’t like it nearly as much as I did The Hedge Knight. Gonna see if I can find a copy of The Mystery Knight.

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011 edited

Just finished A Dance With Dragons. And it was...amazing.

I've seen some comments on Amazon though. And I do agree with them. GRRM could have trimmed certain parts (world history is nice. But not too much). And this book feels like a great build up to what is going to happen next. I hope he keeps to his plans and ends the series in two books though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011

Continuing with Feast for Crows. Updated thoughts:

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011

Hey, look. Double post.

Finished Feast for Crows. Final thoughts:

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011

Wow. Triple post.

Anyway, I loaned my brother’s girlfriend my copy of Game of Thrones. She just sent me a message on facebook asking if this is accurate:

I said yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011

It was the same for me, but with Daenerys instead of Sansa. I only started liking Daenerys chapters in the next book.

I said yes.

That’s how it was for me too, except I didn’t like Dany either. She’s still not really one of the characters I’m very fond of, but I like her more than I used to.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011 edited

Daenerys chapters have actually been my favorites since the first book. The lack of her chapters (and Tyrion’s) definitely bugged me in Feast for Crows. I agree on the point with the Sansa chapters though, those were hard to pay attention to at the beginning. Now Davos chapters are my least favorite.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011

I liked Dany at the beginning of the series and hated Sansa, but by the middle of Dance I was definitely tired of Dany and wanted Sansa. Now I’m almost done with Dance and I want to see what Dany is up to as well. >:|

Funnily enough, I think it was the TV series that gave me any interest in Dany.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2011

I’ve now finshed Dance.

I want more. :3

Gahhh I still have to get my hands on Dance! And reread all the other books…my plate is full.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011

It is taking me soooooooo long to read Dance. I’m not sure I’m even half way through at this point, it’s just pathetic.

Did Brienne live?

(She was the only character besides Jon Snow that I liked)

Really? I felt that I should like Jon Snow but I wasn’t all that invested in him, personally. I feel most invested in Tyrion and Arya’s stories (although I’ve grown kind of frustrated with the lack of direction in Arya’s). I’m also interested in how Sansa and Littlefinger end up. Oh, and Jaime, of course!

Oh, and Jaime, of course!

Awwwww yeah.

I don’t think this constitutes a spoiler, but the best parts of Dance are easily the Barristan the Bold chapters.

Barristan the Bold

Barristan has chapters?! Okay, I am officially pumped.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011

I started the series disliking Sansa, Dany and Jaime. By the end of Feast they were my favorite characters.

Relevant to your interests…

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2011

Yeah, Jaime will never live that down for me.

Anyway, I’ve reached ~ page 380 of Dance, and I’m enjoying it. Yes, I want to find out what happened to certain characters (namely Brienne and Sam), but finding out what Tyrion and Jon have been up to is good to.

re: opinion of characters – I think it’s safe to say that pretty much everyone hates Sansa in Game. Probably because all her thoughts/opinions/beliefs are completely at odds with what readers know from other pov characters. That said, I still loved her chapters from Feast (though that might be more due to Littlefinger being a Magnificent Bastard than anything else).

Right now, the only pov character I have no sympathy for is (surprise surprise) Cersei. It’s gonna take a major shift in her character (like, more than Jaime shift) for me to start liking her.

I feel like GRRM himself despises Cersei, almost more than any other character. He might try to make her so pathetic as to be sympathetic (like Theon), but I’m not holding my breath.

I don’t think he despises Cersei at all. He might feel sorry for her, but there’s no way he’d give her the Dance chapter he does(you’ll know it when you read it) if he hated her.

That’s one of the things I think he’s done well with in the last couple books. It’s like, OH, YOU HATE THESE CHARACTERS AND WANT TO SEE THEM SUFFER? WELL WATCH THIS, YOU SICK FUCKS! IS THIS THE COMEUPPANCE YOU WANTED? HOW DOES IT TASTE NOW? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA