Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009

I didn’t mind Feast at all, really.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

I wonder who they're gonna cast for Brienne - are there any ugly young women in Hollywood?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

How about Susan Boyle? The Britain’s Got Talent chick.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Brienne is like, maybe 20-30. Susan Boyle is 48.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Do you think Felicia Day might be involved?
    She talks about enjoying the series on her blog, and might make a good Catelyn.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hm.. that would be a good Catelyn, or Lysa.

Corsair I guess you’re right. But we need an ugly person!

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Felicia Day is way too damn hot to be Lysa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I don’t think Felicia Day is that hot. Lysa is fat too.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Exactly my point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Well its not that Felicia Day can’t be made to look fat. And I think Catelyn should be a little fuller around the face.. I dunno.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009

I wish they would cast Edward Norton as Littlefinger. That would be epic win.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

That would rock, bursting with win.

Honestly, I can’t wait for who plays Timett Son of Timett. I’m so excited to see who’ll get cast for him, and if he sucks the whole show would be brought to pieces!

I wonder who they’re gonna cast for Brienne – are there any ugly young women in Hollywood?

You should be asking, I wonder’s who they’re gonna cast for Tyrion Lannister? And Tyrion better be played by a good actor, too, or Song of Ice and Fire be damned.

I don’t see them managing to cast Tyrion without heavy CG and makeup, and that would suck.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited

They already cast Tyrion. Peter (?) Dinklage, the dwarf in Elf.

Ah, I’ve never seen him before. He certainly does look like Tyrion I imagined, even though I guess he’d have to bleach his hair for the Lannister gold.

Is Dinklage a good actor?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah, he’s not too bad. I mean there’s only a few dwarf actors.. Dinklage, Warwick Davis (Flitwick in HP), and Verne Troyer (Minime). So there isn’t much of a choice, but Dinklage is fine.

Now that we are considering Warwick Davis, Dinklage certainly feels like a good choice.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Warwick isn’t that bad! Well.. I dunno actually, never seen him outside of HP or Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. He was in Marvin, but Alan Rickman (squee!) did the voice.

reding Feast for crows. spoilers ahead.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Spoilers in response to your spoilers!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I need to hurry up and finish rereading the series.. I’m forgetting what the current status of everyone is..

•  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Wow, I need to re-read the series, I forgot everything. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

What the hell is going on here?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

We’re talking about ASoIaF!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009

Just saw this.

I lol’d.

Haha. I saw one of those along the lines of ‘Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the world yet?’

(the answer was no)

When I finished Feast for Crows GRRM said at the end the next book was going to be out the following year. The afterword was dated to 2006. Riiiight. I forget – what is the release date now? September?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009

According to his blog its quite possible by the end of the year.. but who knows.

guh. very well. I think at this point it would be a wonder if he ever finished the series, seeing how A Dance With Dragons has been coming along. I am not that well informed in this field – is it known how many books are there supposed to be? The last one you talk about, A Dream of Spring , does it come right after Dance or are there installments in between?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

It goes Dance with Dragons, Winds of Winter, and Dream of Spring.

The long wait for A Dance With Dragons is not regular for Martin. The first three books each took two years to write, and after Dance the story will likely be back on track.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hopefully. How long has it been in between AFFC and ADWD? Four years?

Just about. AFFC was published in November 2005, which means it was probably finished around August 2005.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I don’t think it takes that long to go from finishing to release, seems like it would be finished in Sept 2005.

Thank you, Virgil:)

I really hope the pace does pick up. GRRM refuses to talk about the Dance in his “Not a Blog” but I really hope it comes out before November.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009

The most recent comment about Dance was that he got a lot of work done and was a tad bit excited that things would be in motion by the end of the year. Which set the fandom to crazy.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009 edited

Squee!, casting update!

Catelyn Stark:

Warwick isn’t that bad! Well.. I dunno actually, never seen him outside of HP or Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. He was in Marvin, but Alan Rickman (squee!) did the voice.

You never saw Return of the Jedi? Also for some reason I think he was Willow, too.

Also, that women looks pretty much perfect for the part.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009

Oh, yeah, duh.

Who is she?
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

Jennifer Ehle.

She played Elizabeth Bennet! (I think)

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

She did.

OMGs it’s Elizabeth Bennet!

Sorry, I liked her much more than Keira Knightley. But that’s a bit off topic. Sorry.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Preeetty much my reaction, right there. XD

But, uh, right. On-topic.

I hope her hair is that colour when she plays Catelyn, though. Elizabeth Bennet-colour hair would just be very very odd.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah it needs to be an auburn.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

I didn’t read this thread because I have just started the series and didn’t want it spoiled. So, I am about halfway through A Game of Thrones. I think the book is very good so far. I like the story and the characters being varied and not too steriotypical, from what I can tell. I like the writing style. It has descriptive enough to give me an image, but still it lets me picture it how i want to. It seems well thought out and complex. It seems like this book is designed to set the reader up for the following books. We get to see how the kids grow up and how their childhood shaped them. I like how each chapter is from a different point of view, and how their are multiple stories going on at once.

I don’t like the names because some of them are so similar that its hard to remeber who’s who, especially if they are dead, and they don’t come up that much. I really don’t like the passages that give Too Much Information concerning sex.

Jon Snow is great, and so is Arya. I like Bran. and Robb is ok. Catelyn is ok, but its not Jon’s fault that he was born, so her hatred toward him is annoying, and I just don’t like her very much. Sansa sometimes seems as empty-headed as a flowerpot, with her melting over all the gorgeous guys she sees, no matter what they are actually like, including her betrothed. Tyrion Lannister is pretty cool. And everybody else is kind of “meh” at this point. Neither in my favor or out of it. and I think the direwolves are pretty awesome, too.

Too Much Information concerning sex.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009

That’s how everyone is at that point in the novel. All the names do blend together, but they are all unique enough to where you eventually remember them.

Grrrrr… George RR Martin has been posting some infuriating updates on his blog and the hints are tantalizing. My current crackpot theory is Evanna Lynch as Daenerys Targaryen.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

Ugh! He’s being very infuriating.

Evanna Lynch? I don’t think she fits.. she has kinda a pointy a face. And she reminds me of Luna Lovegood too much.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009

:(

I wish HBO would just give it up already…

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

I just looked the books up on Wikipedia, and I think that I may have to break the bank the next time that I’m at Chapters.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009

I just finishded A Game of Thrones this afternoon. I turned the last page and said to myself, Appendix? Wait, where’s the next chapter? I liked the ending that way, because now it is very difficult to wait for the second book, which I cannot pick up until next week, sigh.

Blah, I wish they were less secretive.

Also, I vaguely approve of GRRM being a Giants fan.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009

Blah, I wish they were less secretive.

So do I, but at least its understandable.

Aw, IcyPearl beat me! Well, maybe she didn’t, I finished the book at least an hour or two ago.

Anyway, yes, I finished A Game of Thrones too, but now I need the next book! (I don’t think my parents will buy it for me this time, so next time that my mom goes in the vicinity of that paperback bookstore, I’ll just have to tag along with my own money)

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009

It only gets better from there.

Awesome.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to watch the TV series until maybe I’m in college and out of the house, but that’s ok.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Watch it secretly at night on Hulu. That’s what I’ll be doing.

XD

That will get me into sticky territory though, and I suck at hiding things I feel guilty about. Especially since my parents (my mother at least) are pretty liberal in most respects.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I like it when my parents don’t really care what I do. My mom and I have completely opposite personalities.

Eh, I think it’s nice to be able to talk to your parents honestly. Sometimes I’m too much of a coward to do it, but it’s nice to know you can.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Heh, I suppose.

Yeah, but A Song of Ice and Fire is nice, too. xD

True true.

I was reading like mad, everyone found it rather funny. It’s been a while since I’ve been so absorbed in a book and it was great!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Its a great series, probably my favorite world, its so well done. Some of the original mysteries and plots are not solved for several books later.

So, Snow White Queen and IcyPearl, the ever important question: who are your favorite characters so far?

I have to re-read the whole lot. I didn’t get AFFC because everyone said it wasn’t as good as the others and now I’m rather rusty on everyone….

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

AFFC is fine.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

XD Yeah. When people say it isn’t as good as the others, it is still good compared to most other books.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Agreed. Its just because it focuses on a lot of the supporting cast.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited

So, Snow White Queen and IcyPearl, the ever important question: who are your favorite characters so far?

Hmmm…

The first that comes to mind is Daenerys Targaryen. And of course there is also Jon Snow and Arya Stark.

That’s who I thought of first. I like plenty of others, but those are my favorites.

I like Tyrion and Arya Stark most so far…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited

Arya Stark

I though you would. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009

Arya is the shit!