Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009 edited

I know at least a few people here have read it.

I think Storm of Swords is my favorite, I don’t like how all the books start of so slow, but most of the books are enjoyable.
    Arya is probably my favorite character, seeing how she’s one of the few of my favorite characters that survive.

Use hidden text to talk about major events, so it doesn’t spoil anything. :P

I have yet to read them, but they should be coming in the mail sometime in the neat future…

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009

Clash of Kings is my favorite. As for my favorite character...that's a tough one. Top ten in no particular order would probably be...

Tyrion Lannister
    Ser Jaime Lannister
    Lord Eddard Stark
    Arya Stark
    King Robert Baratheon
    Lord-Commander of the Kingsguard, Barristan the Bold
    Brienne 'The Beauty' of Tarth
    Lord Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish
    Oberyn Martell
    Jon Snow

Arya Stark

Arya?!?!?

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009

Yes.

Everyone who hasn’t read this series and is planning to should probably not be in this thread, for fear of spoilers.
    And it is now July 1st, meaning Mr. Martin’s projection of finishing A Dance With Dragons in June is once again brushed away…

I hope he will manage to finish the series. And are you guys as excited as I am about the upcoming "Game of Thrones" TV series?

That depends… are you so excited that you might take drastic action if it is not green lighted?

I just cannot find these books at the local bookstore, ever.

That depends… are you so excited that you might take drastic action if it is not green lighted?

Are you saying your not?!?!? >:|

:P

Tyrion and the wildlings from The Mountains of the Moon are my favorites. Also; Ser Gregor Clegane. The Mountain that Rides.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009

Ser Gregor Clegane? The guy who takes kicking dogs to whole new dimensions? Are you sure you don't mean his brother?

Oh, I don’t mean Sandor. I mean The Mountain. Why?

• CommentAuthorAri

I really want to read the books. Next time I’m going to a bookstore, I’m going to try and get the first few. Heard they’re really good.

Arya? You’re kidding.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited

Admittedly, Gregor is perfect for the setting. And no one ever said that Gregor was a great general, they just said he was a complete monster. Also, you don't rape with your hand. But putting complete monsters on your list of favorite characters is a little screwed up, although then again, the average teenage girl has a fetish for Heath Ledger as the Joker.
    • CommentAuthorAri

Rape with hand. Wow.

•  
      CommentAuthorOverlordDan

Also, you don’t rape with your hand.

Thanks, Corsair. Now I know who to come to for all my rape-based needs :P

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Rule of Thumb for A Song of Ice and Fire: Just because they died offscreen doesn't mean they're actually not dead.

Dood! Use the hidden messages! :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I have a top ten too. It has Tyrion, Dany, Petyr, Arya, Sandor, Doran, Oberyn, Victarion, Asha and Jaime.

“Are you saying your not?!?!? >:|”

I’m saying that I am. These are my favorite books, and a weekly TV show would be the most amazing thing EVAR.

My top 10: Jon, Jaime, Tywin, Tyrion, Sansa, Euron, Sandor, Petyr, Daenerys, and Davos.

Who is your favorite minor character? Mine is Mance Rayder, his story about why he abandoned the Wall was, I thought, incredibly touching.

If I had to pick a favorite book, it would be the second half of Clash combined with the first half of Swords.

My top 10: Tyrion, Sansa, Daenerys, Sandor Clegane, Tywin, Jaime, Petyr Baelish, Stannis, Melisandre, and…Bronn.

I have not read "A Feast for Crows" yet (buried under Steven Erikson books at the moment), but I have to say I have a very hard time choosing a favorite book. I would have to say "Game of Thrones". because it has Eddard. Eddard is awesome. So my fav list goes something like this:

Eddard, Sandor, Daenerys, Arya, Jon, Jaime, Tyrion, Sansa and Davos

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009

I have the answer to that question… but how do I make hidden text? >.<

[/hide]

My rule is to never conclude that a character is dead until his/her name appears in {brackets} in the Appendix.

For example, Balon Greyjoy died offscreen, but we can safely conclude that he’s kicked the bucket in AFFC.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Yay! Thank you guys:) I usually hate spoilers but this I absolutely had to know
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009 edited

I don’t like Arya :/

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Shagga will cut off your manhood and feed it to the goats!

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

We’ll make due. :D

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009

Awesome. I want John Goodman as King Robert.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009

I always imagined Brian Blessed as King Robert.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkasrain
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009 edited

Bean is Ned!

Woooo!

More info on other parts here

This is amazing news. They could not have done better casting.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin

Edit:

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Oh, well, ok then. So its either that one or the other one? It hasn’t been ruled out?

Yeah, it’s probably her, but it might be him.

And I have some bad news for Jon Snow fans.
    http://www.facebook.com/people/Kit-Harrington/37600393

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Haha.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

ROLF.

...would be good as someone. Marillion, maybe? They could substitute the didgeridoo for his harp. It would be worth it just for the innuendo.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I just just started reading the series, so this is the last I time I will venture onto this thread for a long time.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Good.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009

He lies!

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Not yet, anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I want Jaquen H’gar back! Also want to see who plays Varys and Littlefinger in the series.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hide didn’t work!!!

Well.. Cersei.. I dunno… but Jaime, yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Doesn’t matter, it wasn’t much of a spoiler anyway.

Anyone who has finished A Game of Thrones, check this out. This guy’s friend convinced him to read AGoT, and he is blogging about his experience with each chapter. He is a very thoughtful reader and a witty writer. It is really fun to read it with the hindsight of finishing the book already, and knowing what will happen.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

He’s fun to read.

“Varys knows that Bran is in a coma and that Catelyn is in King’s Landing. Varys knows exactly when she arrived and where she is hiding. Varys knows why she carries a dagger and that it originally belonged to Tyrion. Varys knows what you are thinking before you do. Varys knows you know he knows. He knows you know he knows you know. Varys was on the grassy knoll with Amelia Earhart and Bigfoot, watching the final episode of Lost which explains everything. Varys knows when A Dance with Dragons will be released. Varys knows, he just knows.”

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

This made me rofl.. it just really hit home.

Before the second match we get some juicy Gregor back story. Basically, the dude is a cross between Hulk and Satan. He’s extremely large, strong, and angry. He kills infants, rapes princesses, and burns faces. Everything around him dies in mysterious fashion, including his wife, his father, and his sister. Despite his evilness, Gregor is also a hilarious, over the top character that deserves his own television show. It would be awesome if there was a reality show that followed Gregor around during common rage scenarios, like waiting in line at the post office or getting stuck in traffic. Or maybe a talk show like Oprah or Geraldo except titled GREGOR, where every day one unlucky guest is brutally beaten to death.

Great, I have a new weekly clickie now.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Its every few days I believe..

both Cleganes are hardcore. Although I must admit I love Sandor a little bit more:P

And did you hear the news about casting for the Game of Thrones TV series? Sean Bean as Eddard Stark? fangasm Best. casting decision. EVER.

And I honestly believe they should cast Tom Hollander as Littlefinger if it is possible. This man was put on this Earth to play Petyr Baelish. I cannot help it, whenever Littlefinger says something, its Hollanders voice I hear in my head.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009

Tom Hollander would be cool.

Who would be good as Varys?

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009 edited

I think Liam Neeson would've made a better Eddard, personally, with Sean Bean as Ben Stark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Nah.. but I don’t want Liam Neeson to die. Have Neeson be.. Edmure? Edmure is younger though it seems. Oh no, Neeson could by Brynden Blackfish.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Brynden Blackfish does sort of have that Neeson-ish thing going.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I think so too.

Who would be a good Jorah Mormont? Or Daenerys.. however you spell her name.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

No idea for Jorah.

Daenerys...Jessica Alba looks right, but I've never seen her acting well. Probably because she's a bad actress.

Jeor Mormont is more concerning to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin

Dude, Jessica Alba is like, 10 years too old, Daenerys is supposed to be a teenager. My favorite for Dany is Emily Browning (the one on the left). She was Violet in A Series of Unfortunate Events.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah Alba is way to old. Emily Browning looks ok for the part.

Yeah Jeor Mormont is a tough one too.. is Alec Guiness still alive?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Sadly, Alec Guinness died on 5th August 2000.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah I thought so, but couldn’t remember.

Hm, Jeor Mormont… Christopher Lee. Think its already been mentioned.

That would be amazing, but far too expensive for a small part like that.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Is there a larger part that would work for him?
    Pycelle, maybe?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Nah.. Pycelle is a pussy, Chris Lee emanates Win tm .

Ooh, Chris Lee could be Barristan the Bold.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ooh, Chris Lee could be Barristan the Bold.

That would be Epic Win TM.

as was mentioned before, I have to agree that Christopher Lee is the epitome of all that is made of Epicness™ and Win™

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yes. I still think there is a perfect person for Varys out there.. just can’t figure him out.

The thing is, you don’t hire a big name like Christopher Lee for a minor part like Mormont or Selmy. They already have Bean and Dinklage, and those are for two of the biggest roles.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah Dinklage is probably the biggest role cast.. along with Daenerys, Cersei + Jaime, Jon Snow.. a few others that are around for a while.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I’m looking forward to Feast for Crows and Doran Martell.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah that will rock. I wonder who plays Sam? Oooh! Jonah Hill! That would be hilarious..

“I’m looking forward to Feast for Crows and Doran Martell.”

If it can make it four seasons. And then you have the problem that you can’t cut a TV show the way George cut Feast/Dance, you have to do one season or a split halfway through.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Why shouldn’t you be able to cut a show’s storyline the way AFFC and ADWD are cut? When ADWD starts, just have to say that these events take place at the same time during AFFC.

I do hope the show lasts that long.. good thing its not on FOX.

Because a lot of people complained about missing their favorite characters in Feast, and the TV executives care about ratings more than anythi- that’s right! This is subscription-based television! No commercials! No advertising! Still, the viewers will want their Tyrion, that kind of wit is very much needed in a dark production like A Game of Thrones.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hmm… possibly. I would still be real happy if they did the first three. But still mad because they didn’t finish it.

Feast for Crows is dark, but I think that Petyr, who gets much more screen time there, makes up, in a way, for the lack of Tyrion. He has that whole polished, intelligent and curteos schemer thing going on. He possesses a different kind of wit than Tyroin but without arguing, it is remarkable wit nonetheless. (The way he dealt with lords Declarant, anybody? ) Although it is Daenerys I miss the most in “Feast”.