Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

This is part of a character profile that I’ve been working on. I fear that this character may seem annoying and whiny, which is really NOT what I want for him. I know that it all depends on how I actually execute the character when I start writing, but I would appreciate some constructive feedback on this rough profile anyway. Thank you if you manage to slog through the whole thing.

Be careful with self-deprecation. Having a character who continually expresses his low opinion of himself, despite the assurances of other characters and the character’s own achievements within the story, can make him seem, yes, annoying and whiny.

Otherwise it’s good, even if the format makes the character seem like a collection of parts rather than a cohesive whole.

He doesn’t seem annoying or whiny, SWQ. But, the fact that he thinks so lowly of himself would bother me… If this is the case, you should try and make sure that he doesn’t seem to brush off anyone who assures him that he’s a good person, etc. He does seem like a bit of a wimp:

fears choices, because he’s always afraid that he will make the wrong one

But I think that was the point. Nice fleshing out; I’m interested to see this character in action, so to speak. :D

Thanks, I’ll be sure to take care about his low opinion of himself.

Last night, I was actually thinking why he’d be so afraid to make the wrong decision, when I hit upon the answer that he’s a major, kind of a crippling, perfectionist. I have to look back at the profile now to see how that fits in with everything.

Thanks for the suggestions.