Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I was just playing Don’t Look Back. Fun, challenging and deeply impressive.

You might also want to try Iji, it’s a great platformer with rpg elements, multiple endings and good replay value.

And of course we can’t go without a mention of Cave Story.

You should try I Want To Be The Guy, Windmere.

:)

I’ve heard. XD

Is it good, though? I mean, difficult games can just be absolutely infuriating.

Well, everybody should yell APPLES DO NOT FALL UP, FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU-” at least once in their lives.

It is real difficulty though, in the good sense. At least, it has been as far as I’ve gotten.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009

If you find difficult games infuriating, this game will have you exploding with rage.

It’s difficult in the sense that it is just difficult though, not difficult in the sense that it is cheap and unfair. In my experience, it’s quite a bit easier to stay calm during the former, even if it’s kicking your ass.

I don’t know. Apples falling upwards classifies as ‘cheap and unfair’ in my books.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

‘cheap and unfair’

That’s the slogan for IWBTG.

Eh, I consider “cheap” to be things like buggy mechanics, getting screwed by the camera, things like that.

I consider ‘cheap’ to be the opposition SPAWNING WITH A GIANT FUCKING FELL BEAST.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited

Getting screwed by the game is sort of the point of IWBTG, though…

I made it to the third screen! Now to navigate my way upwards through the Floating Spikes of Doom to the next save point…

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

heh.. IWBTG is hard. I’m at Dracula.

If you find difficult games infuriating, this game will have you exploding with rage.

It depends. Like the previous comments said, they have to be difficult in the “good” way, not in the “cheap and unfair way.”

So, it sounds fun. XD

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

This is sort of in between. Its highly unfair, but still fun.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited

Oooo, I just finished Don’t Look Back! It’s very difficult, and reminiscent of old games where you basically had to die a hundred times before you figured out how to win. But it’s ultimately satisfying, and I was never stuck on any screen for more than a few minutes before I worked out how to get past it.

Re: IWBTG – I think the reason it’s fun, even though it is absolutely, 100% ridiculously unfair and mocks you for it, is that you know it’s supposed to be ridiculously impossible. That’s the point, in a way. And as a reward, you get to feel very, very clever.

For freeware, try Warzone 2100. Not the greatest game in the world, but I had fun on the original version.

I’ve played Don’t Look Back before. I never got very far because it kind of bored me. I’ll try it again.

I don’t know what the current conversation is about, so I’ll just say that, as far as computer games go, I love The Sims. I have had every expansion pack for 1, 2, and 3 (the one for 3 isn’t out yet, but I will get it). I started playing them when I was too young to play them actually. They are awesome.

I haven’t played The Sims on PC, but I also adore it.

Apologies in advance for the double post.

Don’t Look Back is kind of cheap difficult. I kept screaming at the screen. I mean, you’re in the dark and then two snakes just pop out of nowhere?

^^I used to be scared when I played Half Life and Carnivores (a game about hunting dinosaurs) because things randomly jump out and kill you. I used to play with my friend, and I would make the guy walk, and he would shoot all the stuff. I think we did this with Max Payne also, terrible movie they made out of that. Shudders

@hmyd
    Yay, for simmers!

Don’t Look Back is kind of cheap difficult. I kept screaming at the screen. I mean, you’re in the dark and then two snakes just pop out of nowhere?

I don’t think so. It’s a lot of trial and error, but seeing as you always respawn in the screen you died on (except when it’s a puzzle spanning multiple screens), it never feels really bad.

You might also want to try Iji, it’s a great platformer with rpg elements, multiple endings and good replay value.

I took a quick look at Iji a few days ago, but I was turned off by what seemed like “MS Paint graphics.” I know, I know. Usually, I’m not one to focus on graphics, but when they’re at this level…

Emulation > freeware.

On the Atari 2600:

Pitfall II, Subterranea, Robot Tank, Chopper Command, H.E.R.O.

On the Atari 800:

Any Lucasfilm fractal game, Rainbow Walker, Zeppelin, Fort Apocalypse, Attack of the Mutant Camels, Dropzone

On the Commodore C64:

Turrican II, Enforcer: Fullmetal Megablaster, The Sentinel, X-Out, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Catalypse

On the Nintendo NES:

Kirby’s Adventure, Shatterhand, Galaxy 5000, Over Horizon, WURM: Journey to the Center of the Earth

On the Commodore Amiga:

Another World, Flashback, The Chaos Engine, Ruff ‘n’ Tumble, Worms, Disposable Hero, Virocop

On the Sega Genesis:

Earthworm Jim, The Misadventures of Flink, Road Rash, The Steel Empire, Wiz ‘n’ Liz

On the Nintendo SNES:

Earthworm Jim 2, F-Zero, Metal Warriors, Super Metroid, Super Aleste, Star Fox

On the 3DO Interactive Multiplaer:

The Need for Speed, Crash ‘n’ Burn, Gex, Road Rash 3DO, Total Eclipse

On the Sega Saturn:

Battle Garegga, Radiant Silvergun, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon, Rayman

On the Sony PlayStation (gamepad strongly recommended):

Wipeout XL, Silent Hill, Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee, Spyro the Dragon, Metal Gear Solid

On the Nintendo 64 (gamepad strongly recommended):

F-Zero X, Super Smash Bros., Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Perfect Dark, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I love emulation.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009

^^I used to be scared when I played Half Life and Carnivores (a game about hunting dinosaurs) because things randomly jump out and kill you.

I had Carnivores too. What made it especially scary was that the dinosaurs were randomly roaming the map instead of staying in one predetermined location, and they could kill you with a single hit.

I play WoW

FOR THE GLORY OF THE HORDE!!!!

hides

and if i am not stuffing my money to the pockets of people who run Blizzard so that they can take over the world I play Lonest Journey its sequel Dreamfall or one of the Myst games

FOR THE GLORY OF THE HORDE!!!!

hides

THE HORDE DOESN’T HIDE DAMMIT

BLOOD AND THUNDER

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEEEENKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!

...I'll stop now

LJ is only the second best meme to originate from WoW.

IN THE MOUNTAINS

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

There are more things to learn about WoW?

Er.

I mean.

Um.

[runs]

You cannot run IN THE MOUNTAINS

I only hid in case I was gonna get stoned to death by angry anti – WoWers:P and it was not really a hiding, it was…eh…tactical retreat! Yes! That.

And do you know where is Mankirks wife?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Hogger knows.
    But he’ll only tell if you beat him, so good luck with that.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

What’s the best meme to come out of WoW?

What’s the best meme to come out of WoW?

And do you know where is Mankirks wife?

IN THE MOUNTAINS

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I'm thinking that is has something to do with mountains... just a hunch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Meh, I don’t like WoW. As far as general MMOs go, EQ2 is vastly superior. I also like more interesting titles like Love or Mortal Online. However I (and the rest of the civilized world) is wondering what Blizzard’s new title will be.

I took a quick look at Iji a few days ago, but I was turned off by what seemed like “MS Paint graphics.” I know, I know. Usually, I’m not one to focus on graphics, but when they’re at this level…

wtf? It’s an art style choice. If you give it a chance you’d see they’re actually rather beautiful and detailed. Especially the explosions.

If you give it a chance you’d see they’re actually rather beautiful and detailed. Especially the explosions.

So, go get it?

Yes, go get it NOW!

Wow, I’m an idiot. I read about this game on TVTropes, but I didn’t remember it. It’s awesome; I was just playing it. Thanks, DrAlligator. I should probably stop judging games off of one screenshot. Scratch that, I really should.

If you like Iji, you’ll probably like Flashback.

The DOS game?

The AMIGA game.

Sheesh. Calling Flashback a DOS game is like calling Doom an SNES game.

Well, DOS games came up when I Googled “flashback game.” Is a ROM necessary to play?

No, you need an ADF. And an emulator. You think that you can just conjure games out of the air?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009

You think that you can just conjure games out of the air?

Valve mixed in pixie dust with magical beans and produced Steam.

?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009

Should I buy Sacred Gold for $4.99 while its on sale?! Its tempting…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Five bucks? That’s pretty cheap…

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I bought it. Its a huge game too.

Playing The Ur-Quan Masters. It is a game of much goodness.

I mean, it’s 10 years old and all the dilogues are audio-dubbed. :P I’ll recommend it if anyone is looking for a good freeware game, definitely.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009

I'm playing through _Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast_.

That game is bacta-covered win.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Haha. I just bought Garry’s Mod and Red Faction. Lots of destruction in my future..

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.

But can it top Star Wars Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy?

I loved all those games TBH, but my fondest memories were probably of the original DFII:JK, because it was my first online gaming experience and cogging was ridiculously fun.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. But can it top Star Wars Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy?

Aside from the lack of lightsaber options and better multiplayer, absolutely. The story is linear, so there's more cohesion, and it's just an all-around better story, imo. The locations and level design are pretty slick, and the voice acting and music use are top-notch. Plus Kyle just flat out makes a better protag.

"I hate it when you say 'troubling'."

Or:

Lando: "Kyle! We've got a problem!"
    Kyle: "So what's new?"

The main thing that Jedi Academy has over Jedi Outcast is the double-bladed and dual lightsabers, and the Battle online mode ("Battle" or "War", something like that; been forever since I played it).

The multiplayer dueling was better in Academy, that much I’m sure of. The 2v1 duel mode can be quite epic.

Also, Kyle never got to kill Rosh.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009

Aaaarrrrggghhhh, 7 Days A Skeptic is scary. ._.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Weren’t you on 5 Days a Stranger yesterday?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Yes. I finished it. I’m playing the sequel. 8D

And aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh, I don’t know how to escape! And what does one do with a towel rail?!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I dunno. But will be playing them soon.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009

Has anyone played Far Cry 2?

So far, I think it’s overrated. Walking back and forth across the big-ass map eventually grows tiresome.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009

The Batman: Arkham Asylum demo won’t run on my computer. cue weeping and wailing

WAHHHHH!!!!

So to make myself feel better, I bought GMod.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Nice. Did you get it while it was on sale?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yep! I’m too cheap to pay the full ten bucks for it, but $4.99 was a great deal!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Ditto. Now I have it too.. :D

• CommentAuthorMorvius

PC is good. I wanted to buy Arkham Asylum the other day...but I saw Resident Evil 5 (Which I did not even know was announced for the PC), so I bought it first. Though I heard that it was not as good as 4...oh well.

Audiosurf is a beautiful thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

Indeed.

It is kind of depressing how few good games are available for PCs nowadays, though. I am seriously considering investing into a PS3 – have you seen the trailers/games available for that console? If nothing else, The Last Guardian is argument enough for me to get one of those bloody things.

360 is better IMO, unless you’re also looking to watch stuff on bluray. PS3 has had a handful of solid exclusives so far, but I always get the multi-platform games for 360.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

Get a PS3. :D

But seriously, Blu-Ray is almost worth it alone, it looks sooooo good.

Anyone on here play Victoria: An Empire Under The Sun? I have been considering buying it, and want to know what sensible people think.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I heard it wasn’t too good. But I haven’t played, so, dunno.

I just got into a debate on 360/PS3 on my other forumXD

I dont like 360s. simple reason – The Red Ring. OF DEATH!!!! almost everybody I know who has a 360 had their console DIE on them when they fried their own asses. you never hear about PS3s having the sort of problem

I have personally never had the RRoD, although my brother and my cousin both have had it. Mine is newer than either of theirs, though, and I don’t think it’s an issue with any of the new ones.

My PS3 was being retarded about backwards compatibility for a few months, but it’s working again. I don’t think the newer models of it are backwards compatible at all, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

I got the Ring on my 360. Sent it in, less than a week they shipped me a brand new one. Cleared up my frustrations pretty good.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

I don’t think the newer models of it are backwards compatible at all, though.

That’s true, the PS3 is no longer backwards compatible at all. You’re supposed to rebuy the games from the PSN as part of Sony’s obsession with digital game distribution.

Sent it in, less than a week they shipped me a brand new one.

This happened to mine as well. It’s an annoying fault, and Microsoft deserve their loss of credibility for it, but their replacement division at least are very competent.
    Also, the 360 has more interesting games, particularly in the RPG department.

You can get Blu-Ray for under $100 for a computer.

This is for computer games. There is a thread for video games.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009 edited

That’s true, the PS3 is no longer backwards compatible at all. You’re supposed to rebuy the games from the PSN as part of Sony’s obsession with digital game distribution.

Oh, fuck that noise. Guess I lucked out getting it early. That said, I need to see if I can’t get God Hand off PSN, I swear that shit is impossible to find in stores.

This is for computer games. There is a thread for video games.

There is, but I don’t see the point in having two separate threads TBH. It just leads to mix-ups.

I don’t really do much on my PS3 (I mostly just play old fourth- and fifth-generation games on various emulators), but Wipeout HD is one of the best racing games that I’ve ever played.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009

The LOVE alpha is up. :DDDDDDD

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2009

Wesnoth online is awesome. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

It is because I won in a free for all between Sly and DrA. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Pshh, DRA just stole all Sly’s houses and let you take them. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Which led to his downfall.. durr

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. I dont like 360s. simple reason – The Red Ring. OF DEATH!!!! almost everybody I know who has a 360 had their console DIE on them when they fried their own asses. you never hear about PS3s having the sort of problem

Just got my first RROD a few weeks ago. First one in two years. Microsoft shipped a new one in just over a week. No complaints here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Microsoft shipped a new one in just over a week. No complaints here.

Ditto. Its still a problem though, it shouldn’t happen in the first place.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Qwest is worse, hence the lack of Microsoft complaints. With my personal experience with their modems, you'd think _they_ had the 54% fail rate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’m on Time Warner. If its out its the whole sector and they bring it back within twenty minutes, or I just reset the modem. :D I used to be on AT&T’s DSL.. I wanted to kill something on an hourly basis.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009

Meh, we’ve got Charter… the only thing in our area faster than dial-up. Which I categorically refuse to have, even if it means I have to pay the Internet bill myself (which I do, actually. Or at least half of it). It used to go down all the time so I hated them, but then we found out that there was actually some problem with their equipment, so they replaced it and now it’s relatively decent.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I frequently wonder how much bandwidth I use. Its a scary thought.

Sorry Virgil. I do value your advice, but I had to go for it. It was only nine dollars, so I bought Victoria, it is being mailed today. Soon it will be time to change the face of the world. evil laughter

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

What? Pfft. I dunno if its good or bad, I’ve just heard rumors. Good for you.

Which led to his downfall.. durr

I watched the replay… he would’ve owned you had he been able to create troops speedaciously. Seriously, wth was wrong with you, sending an army of arches against motherfuckin’ Thunderers who can kill any of your units with two hits with their ranged attack? You should’ve gotten the soldiers out. It was pure luck. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2009

Haha, you’re right. I have no idea what I’m doing. :P

Does anyoe know of a freeware/open source realistic space combat game?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited

Link broke: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegiance_(computer_game)

Cheers!