Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

D’awwwwwwwww.

I tried to remain optimistic, despite what the even the very first trailer may have looked like (geez, do you think you have enough fireships in there?) and I kept holding on to that mindset with all my might and claws and teeth, despite the evidence, but what really got me was the fact that MNS too the firebenders ability to produce fire away and instead, they have to have some sort of source of fire around if they are to do any bending – WHAT THE HELL.

This movie is going to suck. It is going to be painful. And there is nothing to be done about it.

About Zutara/Kataang – lol I cant believe we are talking about here – BUT – yeah, Kataang is supremely creepy and uncomfortable. The age difference between them may be the same as between Katara and Zuko, but the thing is, with these two, the age difference is upwards, if that makes any sense. Aang is twelve, he should consider girls to be cootie – ridden walking annoyances, not go and nom Kataras face. I am sorry, that was just something I could never get over with this show.

But I still think that Zuko/Mei = WIN

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010

I’m sensing another Dragonball Evolution in the works here.

And I JUST got out of therapy. What a waste.

Aang is twelve, he should consider girls to be cootie – ridden walking annoyances, not go and nom Kataras face.

Yeah, but you could easily say the same about a 14 year old girl. I think people who bring up the age difference as an argument for why Zutara is “better” is because they’re just more comfortable with the male being the older of the two.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010

but what really got me was the fact that MNS too the firebenders ability to produce fire away and instead, they have to have some sort of source of fire around if they are to do any bending – WHAT THE HELL.

That’s only some of them. In one of the trailer it shows Iroh shooting fire from his bare hands. Seems like only the “Masters” can actually create fire.

Yeah, but you could easily say the same about a 14 year old girl. I think people who bring up the age difference as an argument for why Zutara is “better” is because they’re just more comfortable with the male being the older of the two.

You may have a point there. I think that most of my dislike for Kataang is my personal sqeamishness when it comes to the relationship:P

That’s only some of them. In one of the trailer it shows Iroh shooting fire from his bare hands. Seems like only the “Masters” can actually create fire.

Ugh. And how does THAT work?

Why do the movie producers/writers/creatives feel the need to change and tweak the source material around at all costs? Do they really feel the need to add their own personal touch to it that badly? Why cant they stop screwing up good things for the sake of their own feeling like they contributed something when they are messing things up beyond recognition? Why cant they just take the source material and only make it live – action? Or something. Why cant they leave anything alone? Thats what bugs me the most.

Anyone know where I can find Avatar without slogging through Bittorrent illegally? I’ve been wanting to see it for SO long, and youtube doesn’t have it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010 edited

http://www.avatarchapters.org/

It had all the eps last time I checked. Unfortunately, most of the links are megavideo, meaning you’ll only be able to watch about 3 eps before having to wait a hour. But this is where I watched it, and I never had any problems with any viruses or such.

I just searched for a random illegal streaming website because I cant watch US legal online things in Australia. Then I downloaded/got given the whole series. I would actually buy the DVDs if Australia would just get season 3. It might not even have season 2. Stupid free to air TV constantly repeats only seasons 1 and 2 and I think only foxtel has aired season 3 so my only choice was to get it illegally on the internet. God dammit Australia I hate you sometimes.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010

You live in Australia?

No I lied. I think several people here live in Australia. It sucks with certain things but it has its good points.

Ooh, I found this site. It’s saddening, but not surprising, given that it’s Hollywood.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010

"Aang can stay Asian."

I'm getting sick of all this. Not only is Aang not Asian in any sense, but there's nothing apart from his attire and his name that would suggest he's Asian. In fact, the casting for this film is rather identical to the cast for the show. I recall Zuko and Iroh being voiced by "Asians", whereas Aang, Katara, and Sokka were all voiced by white American kids.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ditto, Rocky.

I recall Zuko and Iroh being voiced by “Asians”, whereas Aang, Katara, and Sokka were all voiced by white American kids.

1. Asians don’t necessarily have “Asian” accents. Their voice has nothing to do with their appearance, which is the issue here.
    2. By making Zuko Indian and Katara, Sokka, and Aang white, it turns the story into “eeevil dark-skinned Asian vs. the good white people.” This pic has a good breakdown:

I’ll admit that movie!Aang and cartoon!Aang don’t look different to me. But look at the two Sokkas. One is based on the Inuit, and one played a vampire, meaning one of his defining features is the paleness of his skin.

These are Inuit:

This is Jackson Rathbone:

Or Zuko. This is cartoon!Zuko.

This is Dev Patel.

Considering Hollywood, it’s slightly plausible that their decision to switch around the actors is based on their fear that Americans can’t empathize with a non-white protagonist.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Considering Hollywood, it’s slightly plausible that their decision to switch around the actors is based on their fear that Americans can’t empathize with a non-white protagonist.

Which brings us around to Prince of Persia, and my argument there-

Who gives a damn? I’d rather have a white dude who can play the character than an asian dude who can’t.

That is all.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Who gives a damn? I’d rather have a white dude who can play the character than an asian dude who can’t.

Ehh, I’m sure there are perfectly fine asian actors out there, they just didn’t bother finding them. And the girl’s fake British accent to make her seem foreign? Please.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010 edited

bq. But look at the two Sokkas.

No disagreement here. That idiot laughed off the casting comments and mentioned some rubbish about getting a tan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010

Oh, the “getting a tan” thing… most of it, I can overlook—cartoon Aang is pretty pale to begin with, etc.—but that comment just rubbed me the wrong way. If he’d been like “I may not look exactly like the original character but I’m sure I can remain true to the spirit of the character” or something that addressed the actual issue, I’d say “OK, give him the benefit of the doubt, he’s a good actor.” But… he had to go and say the “tan” thing. That’s just stupid.

Rant aside, I don’t have a huge issue with the casting… but I would be much more at peace with it if Katara and Sokka were the Asian ones while Zuko was the Caucasian one. All of the Fire Nation is pretty light-skinned anyway; if they were going to replace one of the main white actors with a non-white one, you’d think they’d do it for a character that isn’t light-skinned to begin with, if that’s your concern.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010 edited

Well, I brought up the tan comment because I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about that. And then the trailer came up and I saw him in character. Oops! Looks like someone forgot to go see Mr. Sun!

But for what it's worth, out of the four leads, it looks to me like Patel's going to be the best of them, acting-wise. In the show, Zuko had a tinge of vulnerability to his voice, which is something I detected in Patel's delivery in the trailer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2010

For me, Patel is one of the biggest disappointments of the cast, just after Aang. Not only he looks nothing like Zuko, his acting, as far as I could see in trailers, is pain-giving. Although Aang is something that burns my eyes. Where is that funloving goofy kid smiling from ear to ear? Instead, whe have beaver-looking incarnation of seriousness and suffering. Thanks but no thanks. I mean, there is more than 1000000000 people in China, just China, no one's gonna tell me there is not a single child that can do better than this weird kid. I'm sure he has a nice personality and everything but this is simply no more Aang than Patel is Zuko, Rathbone is Sokka and so on. I'm already very disappointed with this movie and I haven't even seen in yet:S

I bring you Momo.

I’m very happy with what they did with Momo and Appa from that small glimpse of Appa in one of the trailers and now that picture of Momo.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

I agree, they made them look real. Not silly looking CGI things.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010

Appa’s face is sort of creepy in the latest trailer, but Momo looks adorable there. Yay!

OK, so there’s one good sign about this movie: a trailer for this was playing in Times Square when I was there last weekend, so my friend and sister and I were talking about it. I’m the only one who actually knew anything about it, but my friend (who is not the anime/cartoon-watching type) said she thought the bending (she didn’t call it that, of course, but that’s what she meant!) looked really cool. And I have to agree, the special effects are pretty awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The bending is going to look awesome in 3D.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Yes, if you don’t count the headache and dizziness afterwards.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Well yeah, that’s the downside of 3D. But this is one movie where 3D might actually work.

Whoa! Momo looks so real on that picture! Yay! No more horribly fake – looking CGI wolves creatures! cough cough

I do not want to get into the race debate because – well, I dont do well with such serious issues, although I do have an opinion – what continues to baffle me, however, is that they picked an Indian guy to play the prince of a nation that is very, very strongly influenced by Chinese culture. When the casting decision was made public I went “What? Isnt Zuko supposed to be Asian? I mean, not that kind of Asian? WTF” Plus, that scar looks awful. And not in a sense that scars are meant to look awful. It looks horribly badly done is what Im saying.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010

It’s like the Phantom in that one Phantom of the Opera movie—I don’t remember which one, but whichever it was, his horrible disfiguration had been downgraded substantially. It’s like that here. In the show, Zuko’s scar was a MAJOR thing. It was connected to major events (the Agni Kai with his father), a source of angst (leading Katara to offer to try to heal it), and instantly noticeable (what do you think of when you think of Zuko? His horrible ponytail and his scar.). And it certainly didn’t stop any fans from falling in love with him (as evidenced by the legions of Zutara fans, as well as personal experience…). So why did it have to be downgraded to “barely noticeable unless you look really closely”?

they picked an Indian guy to play the prince of a nation that is very, very strongly influenced by Chinese culture.

Well, at first they wanted Jesse McCartney, but they dropped him because the fandom hated him and he had scheduling conflicts. This is Jesse McCartney, by the way:

So there’s two possibilities:

1) They were deliberately or unintentionally being racist by casting a dark-skinned Asian opposite three white protagonists.
    2) They knew they needed a dark-skinned Asian (for Sokka), but the director really wanted Nicola Peltz as Katara, so they made all the Water Tribes white and moved the whole “dark-skinned Asian” set to the Fire Nation.

Either way, it doesn’t make much sense.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

As stupid and shallow as this may sound, they probably cast “White” people for the “Good Guys” because Americans can’t relate to colored as well.

And since they cast Zuko as Indian, would that mean they would cast Azula as Indian also?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, it is kind of weird. The whitest people in ATLA were the Fire Nation and the Air Nomads, but both the Earth Kingdom (Toph is pretty white, but pictures of King Bumi, The Boulder, etc. show that at least some Earth Kingdom people are darker. Which makes sense, because the EK is larger and therefore more diverse than everyone else) and Water Tribes are definitely darker-skinned. So… yeah, let’s make our whitest people be Water Tribespeople and the darkest actor be from the Fire Nation?

Logic!

As stupid and shallow as this may sound, they probably cast “White” people for the “Good Guys” because Americans can’t relate to colored as well.

That’s what Racebending says, which is part of their reasoning for why the casting is so off.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Gahhh. I hate unintentional prejudice, it’s so pointless. Thank God I was raised in a family and setting that didn’t have prejudice, unintentional or otherwise. (or at least not nearly as much of it as I see others having)

Thank God I was raised in a family and setting that didn’t have prejudice, unintentional or otherwise.

My family is very anti-prejudice, so while I’m not lulled into thinking I’m completely color-blind (no one is), I’m at least able to catch myself if I’m being racist and smack myself upside the head.

I dont really care about any of this race stuff. Most anime characters are left racially ambiguous with the only real difference being skin tone, but they look closer to white than they do asian or anything else a lot of the time. If I HAD to choose a cartoon character's race I think I'd go by their accent and since most of them speak english with no real accents (unless you count it as an american accent) then I would think of them as white people. Though Iroh is maybe a bit more asian sounding so for him to be asian but his brother and nephew to be white wouldn't make sense. Eh whatever I dont care I dont care I dont care it's just a cartoon and this adaption shouldnt be taken so seriously. I would even go as far as to say MAYBE caring about the race of who they cast might be racist. Everything is considered racist these days and I'm sick of it. In the show itself the characters said the four nations are an illusion and they're all one people.

Shyamalan was more going for people he thought looked like the characters in terms of facial and body characteristics. Some of his casting choices are odd like an indian for Zuko but I dont really care about race or tan. What might annoy me the most about all this is the live action actors not having the same voice as the cartoons.

And what I hate most about the movie is pointless changes/additions. It seems like firebenders need a source of fire to bend and Roku might be replaced with a dragon. WWHHHHHYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!!

But it was also made pretty clear in the show what their four nations were supposed to be counterparts to (Air Nomads = Tibet, Earth Kingdom = China, Fire Nation = Japan, Water Tribes = Inuit). It’d be the equivalent of making Storm from X-Men white. While their races aren’t what makes them memorable characters, it is a part of who they are.

And how does speaking non-accented English automatically make a character white?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010

I can kind of accept the source of fire thing. At first I was liked “NO!”, but now that I’ve thought about it, it does make some sense. Waterbenders, airbenders, and earthbenders all need a source of their particular element to bend, so why not firebenders? I know it was kind of a thing in the show that firebenders were the only group who didn’t need a source, but… it does fit the internal logic of the world. I’m OK with it.

Hmm I guess you have a point Marquis, but I still think a Japanese Zuko would look and sound a bit weird. Even indian Dev Patel looks more like him than a Japanese person would I think. Even though they were based on these cultures, in cartoon form all that really differs is skin tone and sometimes accent. And all the characters are white or tanned with no black people. So I dont think there's enough difference between white and tanned but if someone is black then yeah cast a black person obviously

sweson I still think its an uneccessary change even if its more logical. It isnt that big of a deal, I just dont understand why they bothered changing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited

Yeah I know that but he sounds english. Which then makes me think of the character as english. I think it was in Neon Genesis Evangelion where there was a girl who was said to be from germany but since she looked like all the other light-skinned people living in Japan and spoke Japanese with a Japanese accent she might as well have been Japanese.

EDIT: ok I looked it up and she is of mixed German and Japanese descent, but her nationality is German. But whatever.

I’m no more bothered by the “racebending” than I am when they cast a black actor in a “white” role when adapting something else(not bothered at all). The only caveat is they must be able to play the character properly.

Case in point, I am 300% behind casting Donald Glover as Spider-Man, since I think he’d do well in the role.

Like happycrab, I’m more annoyed by firebenders needing an external fire to manipulate, since in terms of physics(yeah, I know, rather irrelevant) I assumed they were just pulling a Roy Mustang-style “igniting air molecules” sort of thing, since fire isn’t a physical substance like water or earth.

Officially finished Book 1 with my siblings. My parents are not amused. My sister is in love with Sokka and has guessed most of the plot twists (because that’s what she does), my brother feels bad for Zuko (“He just wants to find the Avatar! He’s nice!”), I love Zuko and think Sokka is slightly annoying, and we all think that there’s gratuitous Iroh nudity.

I love Avatar.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010

Aww, why don’t your parents like it?

IN VERY EXCITING NEWS (I mentioned it in the Small Victories thread, but w/e), I received Book 1 yesterday after ordering it on Amazon! And now I’ve spent pretty much all of yesterday afternoon/night (I was going to go to bed early, but… yeah. That got thrown out the window pretty quickly!) and the past few hours this morning watching my favorite episodes. I forgot how much I loooove this show! Especially all the bending battles, I had to rewatch all my favorites, like Zuko and Zhao’s Agni Kai, and the episode with the bounty hunter, and Katara fighting Master Pakku… :D

Aww, why don’t your parents like it?

My dad walked in on it (of all the scenes in all the series in all the world) during the scene where Iroh is kidnapped by the Earth Kingdom. While in a hot spring. Yeah.

Plus the usual “it’s television, it wastes your time” stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Haha, I love that scene! Especially when he stands up and Zuko’s like “...never mind, take as long as you want.” Rather unfortunate time for your dad to walk in, though.

Also, look at this new clip I found!

It’s surprisingly close to the original, as I was coincidentally watching the original episode earlier today. I was quite surprised at how close it was, actually, even in the set-up of shots. If the whole movie is that faithful to the original, I might even be able to overlook how un-Sokka-ish Sokka looks… watching the original (is it mean of me to say the “real” version?) made me remember how very very much I love Sokka. And Zuko, although he’s pretty much a jerk in the first season, plus he has ugly hair.

I have to say, Yue looks like Yue. Which is awesome. Even if not!Sokka (Sorry, real!Sokka is real) isn’t awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

That scene looks great. It also reminds me of the scene for Return of the King when Gandalf looks down on the Orc army from the walls of the city.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited

Minas Tirith and the Battle of the Pelennor Fields? Gondorian armies and Rohirrim vs. Mordor Orcs and Haradrim with Oliphaunts, I believe.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yes, that would be the one. xP

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

This was the scene I was talking about:

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

You may all break out in a chorus of “NEEEEEEEEEERD” now, if you like. takes a bow

NEEEEEEEEEERD

NEEEEEEEEEERD

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD

NEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

SWENSON

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

:D I love you too, guys.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010

But it was also made pretty clear in the show what their four nations were supposed to be counterparts to (Air Nomads = Tibet, Earth Kingdom = China, Fire Nation = Japan, Water Tribes = Inuit).

I bring this up only because a friend of mine and I were having a long, intense discussion about this, but the distnctions aren’t that clearcut. While the do play the part of the evil industrial empire, a la WW2 Japan, their culture resembles Imperial China far more than anything else, what with the dragons, phoenixes, significantly long hair (which was traditional of the chinese royalty), the way they dressed, and so on. Firebending itself is based on Northern Shaolin Kung fu (which, like all of the martial arts forms featured in Avatar, is Chinese). If there’s any Avatar-world counterpart to Japan, it’s Kyoshi Island.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I always assumed the Fire Nation was Chinese and the Earth Kingdom was Korean or some other Asian culture I wasn’t familiar with.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. But it was also made pretty clear in the show what their four nations were supposed to be counterparts to (Air Nomads = Tibet, Earth Kingdom = China, Fire Nation = Japan, Water Tribes = Inuit).

Those examples of counterpoints work more on the basis of lifestyle than race. It's not an uncommon writing method, especially for worldbuilding, creating what you _want_ and then culling facts to legitimize and stratify it. I can see how that would add to the Asian influences of the show - aside from the Inuit part, although I suppose I can excuse its use for the sake of it being commonplace. Water Tribes = Siberia would work better for the analogy, but not well enough to solidify it, in my opinion. And I don't know if using those countries/regions as literal counterpoints would've worked in the film's favor, either. Japan fictionalized and represented as a nation of hot-headed conquerers?

I don't think the show intended to draw such strong or literal parallels to specific Asian locales/cultures. Even with the martial arts forms, it seems they were chosen to build upon each nation's sort of stereotypical aptitude and the element they controlled moreso than trying to ground a parallel.

I agree with Rock. Saying so-and-so is an analogue of X real country is rather pointless, since they’re really just fictional nations that crib some real-world details.

Isn’t the Fire Nation an archipelago?

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010

Iroh is the win.

And I love the ZukoxToph ship.

Sorry. Just had to say.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

oO

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

SHUT UP. CHARACTER COMPATABILITY WORKS.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

OK, now there is an unusual one.

Question: are both Appa and Momo male? I don’t slash-ship, but the two of them are so adorable together…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I think it’s pretty obvious that they are both male. =P

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010 edited

I just don’t think that would work physiologically.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hmph. Well, they can be really good friends, then. They’re still adorable.

I have to admit, out of all the ships in Avatar, the Junroh one was what interested me the most.

Jun was my favorite non-regular character by far.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Junroh was fun. :D I could see it happening, though.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I can feel my IQ plummeting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorarska

I bring it back up a bit?

And I like odd ships with possible agecest. :p

Don’t worry, Rocky. Maybe humans are bugged, and your IQ will loop past zero and end up at the maximum value.

• CommentAuthorRocky

The picture did, but the comments that followed.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorarska

Hey, I’m just a crazy person. Pay me no mind. :D

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Don’t worry, Rocky. Maybe humans are bugged, and your IQ will loop past zero and end up at the maximum value.

I could sooner hope for the sun to freeze than expect such incredible luck. :P

Iroh is the win.

He is indeed. Half of my time watching ATLA is fangirling over his badassery and the other half is fangirling over Zuko.

0.0 I can see that. Even though that’s reaching into Lolicon, just barely…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010 edited

It’s more likely to loop past -32,768 to 32,768. So you’ve still got a ways to go.

EDIT: Also, Junroh is kind of hilarious. “Uncle, I didn’t see you get hit by his tongue…” “SHH!”

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010 edited

ZukoxToph is the bomb. You see, Zuko needs someone to tell him to his face when he’s being an idiot. However, he’s the FIRELORD. Like that’s happening. Except along comes Toph, that loud-mouthed girl who doesn’t fear anything. She’d tell him straight when she’s being a idiot, and he’d tell her when she needs to shut up and put on a dress. For instance, a fancy dinner requires a dress. Not traveling clothes.

Anyways, I think they’re cute :3 Plus fanfictions are fun to write.

EDIT: Also, Junroh is kind of hilarious. “Uncle, I didn’t see you get hit by his tongue…” “SHH!”

Oooh, Jun is that bounty hunter from “Bato of the Water Tribe”! The one with the dominatrix uniform! Oh, I remember her. Junroh would be… interesting.

It’s get stomped on Metacritic, including an F from the AV Club. I wish I could say I was shocked.

Apparently, the movie’s getting panned. Did anyone expect otherwise?

Apparently, the movie’s getting panned. Did anyone expect otherwise?

Not really, especially since it’s been protested since before shooting began by Racebending and M. Night’s been kind of snooty about how awesome it is. If you say over and over that it’s going to be awesome, and then it isn’t (THEY CHANGED THE BENDING OMG), you set yourself up for epic failure.

Also, the premise has apparently been changed to make the whole universe a post-apocalyptic version of ours. How the heck do you come up with an idea like that?

You read the Epileptic Trees on TVTropes?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2010

Yeah, I totally expected the movie to get terrible ratings.

Apparently, everybody’s really pissed about the fact that Iroh’s drinking coffee in the movie instead of tea.

@SMARTALIENQT

You read the Epileptic Trees on TVTropes?

Topless Robot. I haven’t been to TV Tropes in forever, and I plan to keep it that way.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010

bq. Not really, especially since it’s been protested since before shooting began by Racebending and M. Night’s been kind of snooty about how awesome it is. If you say over and over that it’s going to be awesome, and then it isn’t (THEY CHANGED THE BENDING OMG), you set yourself up for epic failure.

Sheesh. Everyone knows only James Cameron can pull off that sort of egocentric blabbery and get away with it,

^^Wouldn’t Tarantino count too?

^^Wouldn’t Tarantino count too?

Tarantino didn’t make Avatar.

I meant in how he acts rather egotistical about his movies, and yet he usually pulls it off.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2010 edited

Roger Ebert’s Review (his emphasis in italics, mine in bold):

I’d like to say that I’m not wasting eight bucks on this atrocity when I can watch the series for (essentially) free on Netflix.

EDIT: On this momentous occasion, I would like to quote the great and honorable Fire Princess Azula, upon her glorious defeat of the Ember Island rabble…

“Yes! We have defeated you for all time! You will never rise from the ashes of your shame and humiliation!”

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

...It takes place in the future? The makers of the show originally said that they had started Avatar: The Last Airbender as taking place in the future, but if I recall properly, Aang was a robot.

Apparently, everybody’s really pissed about the fact that Iroh’s drinking coffee in the movie instead of tea.

Well yeah, it’s a big part of what defines him as a character.

After seeing the reviews and seeing how much he screwed up the plot and story, I’m not seeing this, at least not until it comes out on the internet.

...he’s drinking what?!

@SMARTALIENQT

I’d like to say that I’m not wasting eight bucks on this atrocity when I can watch the series for (essentially) free on Netflix.

You can watch it for (literally) free on Megavideo.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Just make sure you install Ad Block Plus first.