Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009 edited

For those of you who don’t know what it is, here: http://www.avatarchapters.org/

They’re also making a movie: http://www.themovieinsider.com/m3931/5/the-last-airbender/

I personally think the movie will be meh, the show was pretty good, but I think the movie might ruin it. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009

Wasn’t…wasn’t there already a topic about this?

I’m loosing my mind.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkasrain

Love the show—it was incredibly cohesive and thoughtful for a “children’s” series, not to mention beautifully animated. I’m wary for the movie, but the teaser trailer gave me a shred more optimism; at least in those few seconds, Shyamalan seems to have gotten the tone and scale of the series down nicely. The little CGI they showed of the airbending was excellent, and the logo looks great too, especially with the flags of the four nations hanging from the bottom.

This doesn’t mean that the movie will be good, obviously, but it eases my anxiety a touch.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, I hope the movie has Azula in it, and I hope the movie doesn’t make her look stupid. If you haven’t noticed she’s my favorite character in the series. :P

Ohhhhh… I am so pumped for this movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

http://www.themovieinsider.com/m3931/6/the-last-airbender/

Aang and the Firebenders look sort of stupid, though. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I like this series.
    And also these.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, I remember watching those a a while ago. =P

•  
      CommentAuthorInkasrain

Yeah, I hope the movie has Azula in it, and I hope the movie doesn’t make her look stupid. If you haven’t noticed she’s my favorite character in the series. :P

Yeah, she is pretty awesome! I don’t know if she’ll be in the movie though, since she’s only in the last two seconds of season one. Toph will probably be missing too, but hopefully the first movie will do well and we’ll get a second with all the missing pieces.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I hope we get some flash-backs with Zuko’s mom in it, that was the biggest disappointment for me in the TV series, was that they didn’t have more background with Zuko.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

They needed to leave that unanswered to give them an excuse to make his spin-off series.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

I feel sorry for the fans of this show, because M. Night Shyamalan is making the movie.

REPEAT TOPIC :P

I won’t clutter this one up :D

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

Hmmm…. I can’t find the old topic, so maybe it was on one of the other forums?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Avatar is a amazing show, compared to all the other stuff Nickelodeon has produced, and it’s a amazing show for a children’s TV series.

• CommentAuthorAdam

Best show ever. The show was completely excellent except for a couple of substandard episodes, but the movie trailer…ehh. It’s made me realize that I like the little bits and pieces of the TV show— the drawing style, the cartoony comic relief gestures of Sokka, and even the floaty physics of the fight scenes a whole lot, and the movie can never hope to capture each and every one of those things. So I think it just won’t be as good.

(And the only topic regarding this that I’ve seen on this forum was just on anime, I think.)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, I like the animation in all the fights, but with real people I think the stunts are just going to be silly.

I heard the movie is going to be 3 hours long, so maybe they will do all three seasons or something.

Ah.

Well, then, too sum up my previous rantings, I believe Aang should have died at the end of the Finale. Loved almost everything else about the show, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ah.

Well, then, too sum up my previous rantings, I believe Aang should have died at the end of the Finale. Loved almost everything else about the show, though.

I didn’t want Aang to die, but I thought it would make the story more interesting if Katara fell for Zuko at the end. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

The Spiritbending stuff was a bit random, but the fire-jets, airships, firebending duels and suchlike were sufficiently epic to make up for any shortcomings.

I also am a Zutara supporter, though. It’s the one pairing I use the portmanteau couple name for.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The Spiritbending stuff was a bit random, but the fire-jets, airships, firebending duels and suchlike were sufficiently epic to make up for any shortcomings.

Fire Nation machines are so cool, and I liked how the Fire Nation stole the War Balloon.

I didn’t really want to see the bald kid go, either, but I think it would have made a better story, and would have alloud the series to keep on going.

Think about it; Fire Lord Phoenix King kills Aang since Aang won’t kill him, but the time it takes makes it so that the comet is passed. PK’s Genocide Armada has been destroyed, and Zuko has gone behind his back and retaken the Fire Nation for the forces of emo Good. Ba-Sing-Se has been liberated, and PK has nowhere else to go, making his victory Phyyric. Continue with the endings, and then add a shot of Baby-Avatar somewhere.

Bah, I had it better said on the other thread D:

Hope it gets the point accross :D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I like the tanks. And the Earth Kingdom millipedey ones, two.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

That Ba-Sing-Se fight was sort of lame, Iroh didn’t even do anything, and the Order of the White Lotus’s costumes were ridiculous.

Mmm. They most certainly were.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I like the tanks. And the Earth Kingdom millipedey ones, two.

The Drill episode was awesome, with all the little details on the Drill, and Aang and Azula fighting while rocks are raining on them. Epic. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I thought they were planning to make it a trilogy, and let the first movie deal with season 1. Azula didn’t appear until season 2, so… wait for the sequil?

I actually think this is going to be decent. MNS isn’t that bad of a director; the majority of his movies just had a stupid premise. I’m optimistic because Michael DiMartino is one of the writers. And the trailer doesn’t look half bad either.

Did anyone else notice the earth kingdom rode Chocobo? Also, the weird yet awesome animals that lived in that world.

Platupus Bear FTW :D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I just love all the fight scenes. They’re so very well done! They combine melee combat and magical/equivalent powers so seamlessly.

The Chocobos were surprising. I kept wondering why Square hadn’t sued yet.

I’m worried that what happened to Dragonball will happen to Avatar D:

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I’m more worried about that happening to Ghost in the Shell and Death Note.
    American actors? In an American setting?!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I just love all the fight scenes. They’re so very well done! They combine melee combat and magical/equivalent powers so seamlessly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLx5dwTbcsY

Best. Fight. Scene. Ever.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

This is truth. And the music just makes it better!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I hate how Zuko said “you’re on.” ..It..just sounds so stupid. :P

The fight scene between Azula and Katara was also epic.

• CommentAuthorAdam

Puppet— It’s apparently a trilogy of movies. One season per movie. Three hours, though, is sort of getting into the risky zone— it’d better be good if it’s that long.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91

Avatar is the best western cartoon ever, and also beats most real Japanese and Korean anime.

The trailer for the live-action movie adaption was cool-ish but I'm still skeptical.

Apparently nickelodeon are working on a few made for TV avatar short-ish movies which will be awesome, but no other info in the slightest has been released.

What I'd like to see is a giant time gap where there's a new story and a new threat to the world and we follow the next avatar. Aang can make cameos as the new avatar's spiritual adviser so he's all old and stuff. Only sad thing about that is Zuko, Katara, Sokka, Toph and everyone would be dead. Well Aang would be too but when you're the avatar you don't really ever die even though we only ever see the previous 4 avatar spirits.

Also has anyone seen or heard about this crappy cartoon series that sort of rips off avatar a bit called 'Legend of the Dragon'. The main character is called Ang (hmm sounds familiar) and he has a sister called Ling (because Ling and Ang sound like Ying and Yang) and they use bracelets that can transform them into a super strong being with the powers and strength of all the previous owners of the bracelet (also familiar).
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Also has anyone seen or heard about this crappy cartoon series that sort of rips off avatar a bit called ‘Legend of the Dragon. The main character is called Ang (hmm sounds familiar) and he has a sister called Ling (because Ling and Ang sound like Ying and Yang) and they use bracelets that can transform them into a super strong being with the powers and strength of all the previous owners of the bracelet (also familiar).

Actully, I think that was made before Avatar.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91

Wrong. Avatar first aired Feb 2005, and Legend of the Dragon first aired Oct 2006.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Wrong. Avatar first aired Feb 2005, and Legend of the Dragon first aired Oct 2006.

Okay, then ignore what I said earlier. At least the show isn’t a complete copy, if I made a show, I would probably copy a crapload of things from other successful shows.

Anybody else think that the Bloodbending episode was pure win?

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Avatar! Yes! Finally, a truly original anime character! Why — oh, wait. Shit.

Besides the baldness and the constant ‘death and rebirth’ going on, Aang and Krillin aren’t that much alike.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009

I love this show… and I agree with the Marquis, Zutara should have happened. The only problem was that Mei became good, and then I liked her so much (actually I liked her before, but that was because she was Likable Evil, not because I thought she was Good Inside, etc.) it just couldn’t end without her getting a happy ending. I still say she should have decided she and Zuko weren’t right for each other and should just be friends, blah blah blah, though.

On the fight scenes- Avatar has epic fight scenes! I know they based all the bending off different forms of martial arts, which is why it looks so cool. It’s not like most magic in anime/TV shows/movies where it just looks silly. Fighting with bending, on the other hand, actually looks like fighting.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I loved the beach episode. It was made of hilarity.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009 edited

And complete, utter ridiculousness. ‘Twas awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009 edited

Am I the only person who likes Kataang (Aside from the creators)?

I really like the Ember Island Players Episode. It came so hilariously close to breaking the fourth wall.
    “So… does that mean [Jet] died?”
    “...It was a little vague.”

“Hey, its the largest canyon in the Earth Kingdom!”
    “Eh, lets skip it.”

I laughed :D

I love the fact that the writers of the play got some of their information from a surprisingly knowledgeable cabbage salesman.

'MY CABBAGES!'

But I don't think it makes sense that they could get that much info on Aang's journey to write a play that accurate, even if some of the facts were wrong like Jet saving the village instead of trying to destroy it.

“This is just the sort of time-wasting shenanigans that we’ve been missing out on!”

Ha! Filler.

It’s not supposed to make much sense, its there as a recap of the series.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkasrain

I was really nervous that that episode would be awful, but it was truly hilarious. I liked that they took a beat to recap right before The Big Ending, and acknowledged a lot of the fan perceptions about the show. Plus, the character’s reactions to themselves were just golden :-D

In terms of shipping, I went for Zutara at first, but it became pretty clear that that wasn’t where they were going, and I like Mai a lot, so I weaned myself off the idea. (Darned if it wouldn’t have been awesomely symbolic, though; the whole fire/water thing, “You rise with the moon, I rise with the sun”, etc.) Kataang is fine, but it never seemed particularly compelling to me.

Ah, my fifteen year old sister got me hooked on this show. Who'd have thunk that a military obsessed 18 year old could enjoy Avatar so much? I do love a lot of the show's martial arts sequences. The idea of bending being a form of martial art appeals to me. I think my favorite fight is the duel on the well between Zuko and Aang, and Zuko's Agni Kai at the beginning of the series. That's the episode that cemented the show for me. :)

@OverlordDan – no, thank you for the link, its pretty damn funny:)

Anyway – good show, I only have one problem with it – I too thought Zutara should have happened but then Mei turned out to be awesome so it was okay it didnt. But why, oh why did it have to have underage face eating? I shall not forgive you the nightmares it gave me, Nickelodeon, thank you so much for that

• CommentAuthorAdam
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009

The first episode of that series is completely horrible but the rest are much better. Thanks for the link!

No prob, most are like that :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Anybody see this?

Uhg, the voices are just plain annoying, they aren’t even funny.

I like General Zhao vs. Zuko banter.

“Hey wolverine, hows the mutton chops?”
    “Pretty good, cyclops, hows the eye?”
    “Awww….”

:D

The first episode wasn't horrible... it was just nowhere near as good as other episodes. The problem with Avatar is it had several pretty crap episodes every once in a while, and a lot of the episodes are accused of being filler because they don't add anything to the story, even though some of these so-called fillers actually did.

My favourite fighty scene is when they 'invade' the earth king's palace at Ba Sing Se (especially Toph turning the stairs into a slide)

I admit Zutara would've made quite a lot of sense but I knew it was never gonna happen cos it'd be unfair on Aang and Mai. But those kind of relationships in series annoy me cos they basically exist for the sake of having them together. I think Aang is too young to be in a proper relationship with kissing and such with someone 2 or 3 years older than him.

And yeah I've seen all of the Avatar abridged series and it's pretty good, but this guy's 'avatar boredom dubs' are better - http://tomamoto.newgrounds.com/flash/

Ya.. Isn’t he, about, ya know… 11? Or something?

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited

Yeah I think so, but while most anime has no implication of time moving forward, Aang's journey takes about a year so by the end of the series I guess he's around 12. Well and everyone else is + a year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, but then Katara gets older too. :P

Okay I bothered to check and Aang is 12 (well 112) and Katara is 14 at first, so now they're 13 and 15. The age difference matters less and less the more older both people are. But I think 13 and 15 is still bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009

I don’t think 13 and 15 is much worse than 15 and 17, especially considering how mature all of the characters are by the end of the series.

But I think it’s fair to say that Avatar encourages criminal thoughts because all of the girls are 1) highly attractive (except for Troph, unless you’re into that kinda thing) and 2) underage. This makes Avatar’s “fetish fuel” page on TV tropes hilarious. Particularly Azula. And Mai says at one point that she has Zuko “whipped”.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010

Instead of clogging up the Movie Thread, let’s just discuss it here. For those who haven’t seen it, here’s the new trailer.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the movie, M. Night Shyamalan seems to be sticking to the show, but I’ll just have to wait and see…

I had no idea there was a thread for this. I shall use it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010

He got this part right at least…

Why does Earthbending look so girly in that trailer?!

Wow didnt expect to see another trailer now. I dont think bending looks like it really works in live-action... . I think it was firebending that looked more girly than the earth bending. I probably shouldn't judge from that one short scene, but it looks like firebenders need a source of fire to bend. The guy had to kind of waterbend the fire instead of shooting it out of his limbs. I still think this adaption will kinda suck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010

Yeah… I don’t understand why he didn’t just shoot fire out of his fists. :/

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Maybe only particularly skilled Firebenders can do that in this version. It must at least be possible, or Azula's lightning will look really silly and be useless underground.
    • CommentAuthorSamuel

Well, bleh.

I've spent hours searching for episodes of this show. Never got past the first season before they dropped it here.

I have some watching to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010 edited

The Last Airbender Theatrical Trailer HD OFFICIAL

Some of the acting seems a bit mehhh… :/

Also, Aang’s cheeks are far too chubby.

Some of those special effects look really fake.

Still cautiously optimistic, and will remain cautiously optimistic until it actually drops and I can confirm for myself that it sucks. Which it probably will. But maybe it won’t!

Nope. It will probably suck. That trailer made me think it will

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010

Ditto.^^

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

blinks sadly

No…

They didn’t.

THEY SHALL PAY FOR THIS!

tromps off

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

After watching the Superbowl TV Spot I thought it might turn out okay… after watching the Full Theatrical Trailer… no, just no.

The acting just seems terrible, there’s no emotion at all. The whole movie is probably just going to be flashy speshul effects.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It might turn out OK. I'm not sure how well the serious tone will work, though, or how they'll make all the necessary cuts work.

It probably won’t be that hard to cut things out, since let’s be honest, there were a lot of primary-plot irrelevant episodes anyway. I’m not saying they were bad episodes, but it won’t change things dramatically to cut some of the very special life lessons out.

• CommentAuthorThebazilly

Still cautiously optimistic, and will remain cautiously optimistic until it actually drops and I can confirm for myself that it sucks. Which it probably will. But maybe it won’t!

QFT.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited

Didn't expect a full trailer after seeing the short one before. Yeah still looks pretty bad. Aang seems to have completely lost his goofy side. Almost always when fighting he's still being kinda silly which is cool but in this he always looks so serious. I like that his tattoos are all squiggles now rather than solid blue arrows though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

I just love this show. At first I was pretty sceptical (it's american after all) but it was developing so well that I couldn't help but fell for it. Especially ever since there was Toph in it. Every episode with Toph is good episode. It's the best anime (yes, I know it's not anime...but it has some traits of anime drawing) ever. No magic flying around just because I'M THE STRONGEST OF ALL TIMES! shit like Naruto, Goku and the rest of the lot. Fight scenes are simply amazing Just...why are they doing the movie? I think I will kill them if it ends up like Dragonball and other EPIC FAILURES
    Artimaeus, I like Katara+Aang, too...and Zuko+Mai, a couple made of awesome. I was really happy to see them at the end together. All of them. Although, I expected more from Iroh in Ba-Sing-Se. But the rest was great. Especially Aang's fight with Ozai. I can't imagine Aang dying there (although I can pretty well imagine Harry Potter dying in the end, which unfortunately didn't happen). But why couldn't we learn more about Zuko's mother? That is probably the ony thing I miss in that last episode....otherwise,made of awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorarska

Zuko+Katara=MADE OF WIN. I also like Saka(Is that how his name is spelled?)+Toph.

Just sayin’.

I believe you will find it is spelt Sokka. As punishment for the heinous crime of getting the name of one of the main characters of Avatar wrong, you are hereby banned from shipping for the next three days. I agree with you, though, about Sokka and Toph.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I just think that Zuko + Katara would have been far more interesting. Which is why I loved The Southern Raiders ep so much. I think they should have gone deeper into Bloodbending, but that’s just me. And if they do end up making 3 movies for each season, Azula better be AWESOME.

Zutara is bad and you should feel bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Aang is like 12 years old/112 years old. Either way it’s just wrong.

But it’s the same age gap as Zuko and Katara IIRC.

•  
      CommentAuthorLilan Jaku
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010

I think Toph is the best character in the whole series (viz. my avatar here...yup it's Toph), and I also kind of like Sokka's sense of humour, but I just can't see them together. Probably because it's a bit hard to imagine Toph with anyone. At least I can't think of a single character I would like to see her with. Might give it a deeper thought, though:D
    And I have to admit that Zuko and Katara are kind of cute together, but unfortunatelly, I never liked Katara enough to pair her with the best male character.

You guys do realize that these characters are just drawings and scripts, right?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, we do. The same could be said for a book you like, Dan Lock. You do realize the characters are just paper and ink, right?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Hahahah, ohmygosh, Dan, are you actually complaining about decent characterisation?

@Muppet

Yeah, we do. The same could be said for a book you like, Dan Lock. You do realize the characters are just paper and ink, right?

I do, indeed – which is exactly the reason for why I find “shipping” and its associated drama to be so comical.

@Jeni Riefenstahl

Hahahah, ohmygosh, Dan, are you actually complaining about decent characterisation?

No; and I don’t understand what prompted that response – as far as I can tell, I wasn’t complaining about anything, and certainly not characterization. I just find it funny that people make such a big deal about hypothetical relationships between these fictional characters, as if they’re actual relationships between real people. Liking characters as characters is one thing (Deckard and Ripley are very well-executed, and are by far my two favorites), but this just takes it to another level, and a humorous one, as far as I’m concerned.

I think, on some level, ships occur because people like to get involved in others’ business, and fictional characters can’t get mad at you. There are a bunch of other explanations I can think of, too, but I’m too lazy to type them.

I also had no idea Lilan’s picture was of Toph until she pointed that out, and now I feel blind for not seeing it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

No; and I don’t understand what prompted that response

Because everyone seems to pretty enjoy these characters, and want to discuss them and any relationships they may or may not have.

Then you come in and imply that people who are discussing it are drooling retarded fangirls.

Then you come in and imply that people who are discussing it are drooling retarded fangirls.

Not really. I just think that it’s funny that people put so much thought into developing hypothetical relationships between fictional characters. And I still don’t see how that ties into a nonexistent complaint about how good (?!) Avatar‘s characterization is.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I just think that it’s funny that people put so much thought into developing hypothetical relationships between fictional characters.

So hilarious that you seem to think they can’t tell the difference between Real and Fiction.

nonexistent complaint about how good (?!) Avatar‘s characterization is

Because the characters are obviously strong enough to be discussed on their own terms rather than resorting to “because that’s what the writers wanted”. It sure makes me want to (eventually) watch Avatar.

So hilarious that you seem to think they can’t tell the difference between Real and Fiction.

It was a rhetorical question, an overstatement for the purpose of mild comedy. Did you really think that I was being completely serious?

Because the characters are obviously strong enough to be discussed on their own terms rather than resorting to “because that’s what the writers wanted”.

But characters are, by definition, “what the writers wanted”. They’re just an empty facade, puppets that tell a story – what counts is how convincingly their strings are pulled.

Just hug it out, you two.