Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009

bq. Until he died, his music was mostly forgotten, as was he.

O_o

o_O

You totally did not say that.

Yes… I did…

I mean, check Google, check Youtube. The number of queries were really, really low. No one (proportionally, of course, in comparison to other musicians) was looking up his music videos or reading about him until TMZ reported he was dead.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Michael Jackson was beyond Youtube. He had such an integral impact on the popular music industry. It’s like saying the Beatles are mostly forgotten…

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009 edited

Ok… name something that he came up with or popularized.

And the Beatles are NOT the same. They encompassed so many genres of music, practically invented the music video (by popularising it), and had a great and unique combination of voices.

Michael Jackson? Well… his trademark was high notes. He was an adorable little kid, but frankly, a grown man should not be able to sing like a little girl, and I never understood why that was so impressive. Sure, I listen to Thriller every Halloween, but… in general, the man sounded shrill and whiny. If you want that, just listen to a soprano who isn’t too good.

It’s okay, they’re all musicians and all worthless.

Well, they’re no Winston Churchills. Still, as musicians, the Beatles outrank Michael Jackson.

Winston Churchill is useless too. God is cooler.

Screw you, Winston Churchill saved Europe.

Oh boy…

It’s amazing what people will come up with these days. Personally, I see a wolf head.

They’re major influences on our culture, music culture. It may not be the next step forward for humanity but it certainly is an important part of life.

Anyway, I like Michael Jackson, but yeah, he’s generally been ignored until recently with his revival tour (which budded up a lot of interest here if no where else) and then with his death. Part of the reason I think is because it’s the 90s kids who use the internet most of all, and for the most part we grew up knowing the scandalous side of MJ over anything else. So yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009 edited

Ok… name something that he came up with or popularized.

Well… his trademark was high notes.

Seriously? You seriously have not seen or heard of the moonwalk?

And the Beatles are NOT the same. They encompassed so many genres of music, practically invented the music video (by popularising it), and had a great and unique combination of voices.

Michael Jackson’s skill with choreography and dancing and singing was just awesome.

Yeah, sure, maybe you 90s kids don’t know his skill, but that in no way translates to being “mostly forgotten”.

God created Europe.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Holy crap, no way. When did that happen?

Before Churchill wan born.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Whoa. You just rocked my world.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

God created Europe.

Plate tectonics created Europe.

God created Plate tectonics.

The Romans created Europe; plate tectonics shaped the land that God created into a continent that Europe occupies.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Seriously, guys, stop it, all this new information. You’re blowing my mind.

God created humans. Michael Jackson was an instrument of God’s will.

Headdesk

Moonwalk?

Did I not already mention my appreciation- or lack thereof- for the moonwalk? And does anyone even DO the moonwalk anymore?

No, they’re too busy dryhumping on the dance floor. Rubbing genitals together fully clothed or some shit.

Think it’s called bubbling or some shit.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009 edited

Did I not already mention my appreciation- or lack thereof- for the moonwalk?

Dunno, wasn’t paying attention. I was more concerned about the fact you said that Michael Jackson was “mostly forgotten”. (And you did ask what his trademark was, and it was the moonwalk). Just because the youtube generation weren’t watching his videos didn’t mean he was mostly forgotten, they just hadn’t grown up with him.

Me, I did. On the last of it, but I remember enough of what it was like when he was the King of Pop. You can’t apply one generation’s internet habits with that of another and immediately say “forgotten!”. And no, he won’t be forgotten, his songs were incredibly iconic, and have been and will be played just like Elvis, the Beatles, Queen, ABBA, David Bowie… all these people created stellar music that have been played well after their first release.

(And Queen are usually considered the first band to have made a “true” modern music video with Bohemian Rhapsody. ;) ).

Anyway, what reminded me to reply was this awesome dream I had last night. Brace yourselves.

I’d made some lasagne pasta sheets (we have a lot of pasta flour sitting around), and they tasted pretty good. But by the time I’d finished, night had fallen. Suddenly we all heard this almight bang— we run out of the house and see this lorry that had just reversed into the house, he went forward and then reversed into it again knocking the walls down. He then drove away while I shook my fist at him and made some obscene gestures.

We rushed to keep the cats safe, and as the dust was settling, I wandered into a barn. And there, on the second landing was a coffin, a child’s coffin. As I stand there looking at it, the lid moves, and gets pushed off.

A puppet-sized person stands up.

It’s Michael Jackson.

I go screaming out of the barn, trying to get everyone to hear me. Yelling: “ZOMBIE MICHAEL JACKSON!” over and over. Pretending to be petrified, because I knew that should be my reaction (I’m still screaming ZOMBIE MICHAEL JACKSON!), but inside, I’m happy because Michael Jackson is alive! Like Elvis!

Zombie Michael Jackson comes out of the barn and then…

I wake up.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009

You must have been really annoyed about waking up.

Eeurgh, zombies.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009

I was hoping for an epic Zombie Michael Jackson concert in my driveway.

So yes.

That is a cool dream. Too bad you woke up in the middle of it.

•  
      CommentAuthorRand
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009

Haha, interesting dream. Elvis didn’t die, though, he went home. And apart from that, MJ’s death was a better business move than any of his planned concerts were.