Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Because I started a thread on their counterpart…objective is the same as on the other thread. Talk about whatever antagonist related thing you want. Just make it somewhat useful, because I think many people on here would agree with me when they say that antagonists are among the most challenging characters to deal with.

Tips, as always, are appreciated.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009

I’m a great antagonist.

I love antagonists. But they are so darn hard to write! My favourite antagonist is possibly Inspector Javert from Les Miserables (Liam Neeson movie...*shame* Cliffnotes Book). He's so...creepy.
    I'm having trouble writing an idealist antagonist for my story (I don't call it a book, because I doubt it will every be printed, save off of my compy). Basically, his name is Martyn and his whole goal is to try and upset the current balance because (due to his own interpretation of a "magic law" we'll call it) he thinks that the upset will overthrow the evil unmagical empire (tm) as opposed to starting a new three-way struggle.

Study me. I tend to piss off people. I do it by having fun too.

@CompleteBastard- I’m sure you can be your own whole literary masterpiece if you put your mind to it. ;)

@RikkiTikkiTavi- Yeah, antagonists are hard. I’m having trouble figuring out the motivations and past for my own antagonist. She’s not evil, but feels that her race, the witches, have been suppressed by humans when the witches are actually the more powerful race and deserve more respect. I shall have to flesh her out very much. Luckily for me, she doesn’t turn up for a while yet, so I can procrastinate a bit longer.

My life feels like the work of literature of a mad genius. I want to punch the author’s face.

I think that if the antagonist is another person, the author should be able to write the story from their POV and still have the reader at least somewhat root for them. No one is really evil, and any sane person can justify their actions,

@SWQ: Lucky you...my antagonist shows up pretty darn quick. I'm having a tough time balancing between someone who isn't over the top barbaric (eating puppies and all that), and someone who the audience is like: "Wait, why is he a bad guy again?" I tend to swerve toward the latter due to my deeply ingrained abhorrence for the former. Meh, I speak like Paolini. Save me please.

@CB: You poor, poor tortured soul. So, if you're an antagonist and a protagonist, doesn't that make you an ANTIHERO? YAY! They're cool. Oh, and google your name to see if it shows up in a book, then stalk the author and punch them.

Nah, my name shows up nowhere.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009 edited

Okay, I'd like to clarify a few things here.

A sympathetic villain can be a good character, yes. But it is hardly the only good way to write a villainous character.

You can have a Complete Monster character and still have it be a good villain Examples being: Jadis of The Chronicles of Narnia (Appears in The 'Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe' and 'The Magician's Nephew') as well as the Lady of the Green Kirtle and Shift (Of 'The Silver Chair' and 'The Last Battle', respectively.) Arda, (The setting most people call Lord of the Rings) gave us Melkor, better known as Morgoth, Sauron, Saruman, and Smaug, among others. While a Complete Monster can be an easy way out, it can also make for extremely effective Antagonists.

The trick to writing a good villain is to make them have a reason for what they do. That's one of the many, many reasons why Inheritance fails. Yazuac gets torched and becomes the world's leading source of Baby-Kebabs because...?

It doesn't even have to be a good reason or a logical reason. If the guy is batshit insane, having him want to burn the world because it insulted his mother is a perfectly acceptable reason, although you may want to save that for a humorous story.

And no, a Villain Protagonist is not an Antihero. A Villainous Protagonist is a Villain Protagonist. An Anti-Hero is someone who fights for the cause of Good but for the wrong reasons or with extreme methods. Frank Castle, better known as the Punisher, is an Anti-Hero. Patrick Bateman is a Villain Protagonist. The difference is subtle but significant. The Anti-Hero does the good thing for evil or at least morally ambiguous reasons, or the evil thing for good reasons. The Villain Protagonist does the evil thing for evil reasons.
    I don't like the main antagonist in my story idea much because I don't think he has enough depth but I don't think that can be changed. I've worked out who he is and his past. He's EVIL! basically because he is sadistic and has a huge god-complex, which he was basically born with. So he's basically got a mental disorder but I think he's fairly sane. Maybe he developed these behaviors as a kid. How do kids grow up to be serial killers in the real world?

I guess my antagonist has his reasons for doing what he does. He probably feels like his birth-rights were taken from him and that he was wrongfully punished for doing a certain act so his actions are out of anger but also enjoyment because of his sadistic nature and he thinks it's his right to rule over people as if he was a king.

That's all I really want to say about him without giving away too much, not that it'd really matter if I did.

@Corsair: Of course. What I was talking about was specifically sane, human, antagonists. There are insane antagonists, and single-minded antagonists who are more natural force than character, such as the Terminator, the new Joker, and Anton Chigurh from No Country For Old Men. These are all certainly very good antagonists.

@happycrab91: You should research personality disorders. Your anagonist seems to have antisocial personality disorder (aka sociopathy or psychopathy).

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

There are cases of perfectly sane, human antagonists who are still Complete Monsters. Emperor Gestahl of Final Fantasy VI, is perfectly sane and human, and while, yeah, he's not as evil as Kefka, he still commits countless atrocities. Just for starters, he attacked the Espers and kidnapped dozens, including Terra's father, then took the baby Terra, raised her to adulthood, and slapped a Slave Crown on her and used her as his secret weapon. And this is all just the stuff he does before the game starts!

Corsair, does Emperor Gestahl have a motivation for this? Is he doing it for the benefit of the state? Persoanl glorification? Both are very human motivations to commit these ruthless actions.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Personal glorification, mostly. That, and he wants to become a God. But while those are human motives, they aren't sympathetic ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I plan to have the main antagonist start out as a Sue-like protagonist, then have her grow into an antagonistic role as a result of her self-perceived Sueness.

That level of narcissism does not seem normal. That, and the extremity to which his moral compass is off are indicative of an abnormal personality, which could certainly be called insanity. Voldemort, Lex Luthor, and Hannibal Lector are all somewhat sympathetic or “normal”, and to varying degrees are all abnormal, or “evil”. Compare that to the examples I gave earlier, the Terminator, the Joker, and Anton Chigurh, all of whom have gone beyond that, seeming in fact to be physical manifestations of that abnormality.

What I said before about sympathetic antagonists was done with my personal favorite antagonist, Jaime Lannister of A Song of Ice and Fire, in mind. In the first two books, we see him through the eyes of his family’s political rivals, the Stark family, and thus in a very negative light. But halfway through book three, in which we get his point of view, he has become a very sympathetic, almost heroic character, and by the end of the fourth book he has gone through complete redemption.

@ Moldorm: I want to read that.

I didn’t find Count Olaf to be very convincing. His motives were rather weak in my opinion…

• CommentAuthorGolcondio

Happycrab, you might want to read “Darkly Dreaming Dexter”: the protagonist is a serial killer with an interesting code of conduct… He’s actually quite loveable!

Golcondio, I know all about Dexter because the TV series that's based off of the novels is one of my favourite shows of all time. I haven't read any of the books but I pretty much know everything that was different about book 1 and season 1. After season 1 the TV series doesn't follow the books.

Now most of the time I prefer the original source material over any adaptions (like I find manga is better than anime and harry potter is a way better as a book than as movies), but in the case of Dexter I think the TV series was a great improvement over the books. I've read about the sequels and they sound a bit crappy because lame things happen such as Rita's husband being a druggy somehow made her kids develop the desire to kill so Dexter had to pass the code onto them, and book 3 or 4 brings in supernatural/religious stuff into the mix with a god that possesses people to make them killers.

Anyway I don't think Dexter would help me that much but I should read the books anyway.
    • CommentAuthorGolcondio

Read the first book. The second is useless and the third is pure craptastic crap…

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I think a good antagonist also needs to be loved as much as your protagonist. Too many times, the author is so focused on their protagonist, and then their rival gets shuffled off to the side and slapped with tropes/cliches.

But you also have to beware of making the antagonist too likeable… Otherwise people will end up hating the hero.

I might eventually read the first book.

I don't think an antagonist has to be loved by the reader... I definitely didn't like Voldemort at all but I thought he was a great villain. My villain could be liked in the sense of people thinking he's cool because he's such a badass maybe...? If he even is a badass. But it all really depends on what you mean by 'love'. Is loving to hate them the same as love?

No, because you hate them.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I mean that the writer should feel a connection like love to him. How the reader feels is different.

I’m probably babbling and trying to make a point here, but failing epically.

It’s okay I don’t understand what I’m trying to say until I say it.

I get it. But I disagree to some extent- the villain is going to be defeated (yes, I am generalising epically here. You have to or you never discuss anything but specifics, and that’s not always helpful.), and the writer’s not going to want to get attached to someone whose own protagonists are going to bring about their downfall. Doesn’t matter whether the antagonist is good or bad, but the writer should always be on the protag’s side. Otherwise there’s some major role reversal.

Lol, I should have expanded upon what I said before. It’s like a sense of satisfaction when you hate them because you get a warm fuzzy (or a sense of excitement!) from knowing that they WON’T always be there… Satisfaction =/= love.
    Well yeah I think I'd agree with the connection thing, but not necessarily love. I guess most people would feel some sympathy for Voldemort because of his childhood and stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Yes, I suppose it depends on the situation of your antagonist. Not all antagonists are necessarily evil.

And yes, I see your point. it’s hard to get attached without wanting to stop them from dying [of course, in my case, I just put all my favorite characters through hell and watch as they all are murdered and killed.] I guess how much you can care about them depends upon the personal situation of your novel. In mine, it works, since the protagonist and antagonist have very different goals, but use the same means to accomplish them. Except the antagonist is a bit more extreme in his actions. In that situation, I can like the antagonist, even though from the story it sounds like he should be utterly and completely hated, since it is all in 1st person from the viewpoint of the protagonist.

Now that was incoherent babbling. Mornings are not good for me and intelligent statements.

Question is, do you have an Anti-Hero on your hands then? (should that be capitalised?)

Nobody is evil in their own minds.

I’m talking about from others’ perspective.

The only way to express the antagonist’s true motivations is through omniscient narration. Otherwise you are always seeing the antagonist through the mind of the character.

Trutru.

(c? i cn du internetz spk 2!!!)

But that’s not always necessarily a bad thing, is it? Can’t it be used to lampshade some stuff? (is that the trope I want?)

And you can also go, as the protag, “I found out later that…”, thus eliminating the need for 3Po.

Still though, if you go in the protagonist’s head you are framing his image of the antagonist, if you are going in the antagonist’s head you are framing his own self-portrait.

Yeah, but there are always facts that can’t be hidden, or are made obvious in the attempt of the protag/antag to hide them.

Look, I’m not saying it’s the perfect method, just that it’s a bit limiting to cut down on your POV options just because of certain disadvantages that you can work around. Otherwise, where’s the variety?

Nobody is evil in their own minds.

On reflection, I don’t think so.

Lol I disagree.

Lol, but you have people who are purely out for what they can get and they know it. And if you want an example of a fictional character that is written as that sort of person, Jon Spiro or Opal Koboi from Artemis Fowl.

You’re just disagreeing on principle anyway :)

Of course there are people who know what they want and go for it. But also nobody sees themselves as inherently evil.

They may feel that the world sees them as evil, or they may feel they must be evil or have it thrust upon them, or they might feel misunderstood. But until people can convince themselves of the merits of their actions they cannot commit to them.

We trend to justify everything we do. Even saying “I don’t need to justify anything” is just another attempt to justify something.

What about, “I want to do this because I can and because it will have a good result for me. I’m evil, stfu.”

Translation: “I must do this because everybody else also pursues their own self-interest. If you want to call me evil, I’m evil, now shut up you hypocrite.”

That’s one interpretaton. Another is:

“I don’t care about anyone else. They can do as they like. They’re so weak for caring about others. Me? I’m the most important thing in the world. And I’ll be bad cause I like it like that. ha ha. I love being evil. Now I’m gonna go throw a kitten off a cliff. “

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

[of course, in my case, I just put all my favorite characters through hell and watch as they all are murdered and killed.]

That’s what I do. :P

of course, in my case, I just put all my favorite characters through hell and watch as they all are murdered and killed.

You know, it’s people like you guys who [insert bad action here]. I don’t mind characters going through hell, but I’d prefer that they (or they-1) come out relatively unharmed. Now, that is not to say untraumatised.

@Steph: O.o *rofl* Well, at that point I'd venture to guess that they have some mental issues going on. Perhaps.

Lol. I haven’t actually written enough to really generalise on the subject. But I’m saying that if I ever did finish something, they might go through hell, but they would not all die.

You'd leave one alive so he can be angsty for the rest of his days, right?

Lol no. What fail.

To get into the mind of an “evil” person you must ask yourself why people even in civilized societies are so subliminally evil.

“I don’t care about anyone else” translates to “I don’t think I should care about anyone else”, “They can do a they like” becomes “They can manage the consequences just fine, what cry babies”, “They’re so weak for caring about others” becomes “What over-emotional airheads”, “Me? I’m the most important thing in the world” becomes “I should seek out my own happiness, just like everyone else”, “I’ll be bad because I like it” becomes “If they want to call me bad, so be it”, “haha, I love being evil” becomes “rofl these people don’t even understand me so what’s the point in explaining myself”, “Now I’m going to throw a kitten off a clioff” becomes “Please act scandalized, it amuses me”.

What fail? Me fail? Fine, then! *huff* ;)

Excellent translation of "Baddie-Speak"; I like...

I really want to write a convincing antagonist, but not only is she a fricking evil stepmother, she’s also a sadist, a sorceress, and involved in an elaborate plot to kill the reigning king and heir to the throne.

How can I make that work?

“I don’t care about anyone else” translates to “I don’t think I should care about anyone else”

Yes, but the thing is, “I don’t think I should care about anyone else” can also translate to “should I care about anyone else?”, which is not the same thing. Sometimes people just don’t care.

“They can do a they like” becomes “They can manage the consequences just fine, what cry babies”

Therefore: “If they want to pick it up, try. ha ha. What a waste of time.”

“They’re so weak for caring about others” becomes “What over-emotional airheads”,
    bq. “Me? I’m the most important thing in the world” becomes “I should seek out my own happiness, just like everyone else”,

Not necessarily. Although, if they do think that, there is also the possibility that they can’t fathom why anyone would care for someone else.

“I’ll be bad because I like it” becomes “If they want to call me bad, so be it”

They could like being bad. Like kids like pulling the wings off flies.

I am noticing a pattern here. Your interpretation is the ‘evil’s’ perception of others perceiving HIM. Not his perception of himself.

“haha, I love being evil” becomes “rofl these people don’t even understand me so what’s the point in explaining myself”,

again with the pattern. And it also becomes “I have all this power, so what’s the point in not using it?”

“Now I’m going to throw a kitten off a clioff” becomes “Please act scandalized, it amuses me”.

:P yup. And why? BECAUSE THEY CAN.

I will say again. Some people just don’t care. You get a lot of people who LOOk like they just don’t care, but they do. But there are also some people who just don’t. And these people do it because they can. Being evil is a lot more fun and lucrative than being good.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator

I really want to write a convincing antagonist, but not only is she a fricking evil stepmother, she’s also a sadist, a sorceress, and involved in an elaborate plot to kill the reigning king and heir to the throne.

How can I make that work?

Give her a believeable motivation. Why is she so power hungry? I’m already interested in this character, she sounds like the sort you love to hate – give her a motivation that makes us hate her more. She doesn’t necessarily need a good side that the protag knows of, but the important thing is you know her inside out.

In the current short story I’m writing, the protagonist becomes his own antagonist when he lets his ambitious nature take over his life and unknowingly puts what he holds dearest at risk. In the one I plan to write when this one’s complete, I don’t think there’ll be an antagonist – just a short, sweet romance story.

And in my longer story (I hesitate to call it a novel) I have a much more traditionally ‘evil’ character convinced he is a deity’s descendant and wants to topple said deity for rulership. He is the descendant of a Time Priest, who are in touch with the Gods, as is the protagonist. The major conflict takes place in a small temple between the two as one tries to stop the other from wrecking havoc across the world (as they perceive each other is doing).

Lol you wrote ‘Time Priest’ and for a second there I thought, ‘Time Lord’... Anyway, both the romance and the longer story sounds really interesting. Love to read them.

And the stepmother sounds great. Maybe she was born that way? Had a curse placed on her at birth? (although then she becomes an object of pity. Unless she finds out about the curse and is happy she’s got it.)

Lol, I almost wrote Time Lord. I knew that joke would come up. >_> I’ve posted excerpts of it before on the site (before the critique section went under). I’ve written the beginning, the ending, and pieces of the middle, but I’m not very good at sustaining long stories. I can’t see it being past… I dunno, 50 pages?

And the stepmother sounds great. Maybe she was born that way? Had a curse placed on her at birth? (although then she becomes an object of pity. Unless she finds out about the curse and is happy she’s got it.)

Pure evil characters are not necessarily badly made. Think Umbridge of Harry Potter. Can you name one redeeming trait about her? No, but she made an excellent villain. If you can make the reader hate the character as passionately as the protagonist, then your job as a writer has been a success.

You guys got a really fucked up view on the nature of good and evil.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

And what is your view on the nature of good and evil?

Good and evil are completely different from good (a different type of good, obviously) and bad, or at least that’s what I think you’re saying.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

As good and evil are basically subjective abstract concepts, it’s likely that there will be some conflict between individual views.

Anyone who takes a dualistic view really hasn’t thought about it carefully much.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

That’s exactly why I’m asking your interpretation of the subject.

There is no such thing as universal good or evil, just actions you respect and actions you abhor depending on how your mind is programmed.

Anyone who takes a dualistic view really hasn’t thought about it carefully much.

By this you mean that there is more than good and evil? Well, there’s the gray area in between. Is that what you’re referring to?

Besides, an antagonist doesn’t HAVE to be evil. Their role in the plot is simply to oppose the protagonist, and their motivations could be as respectable as the protagonist’s.

Dualistic separates actions into two fundamental categories, this so-called “Good” and this so-called “Evil”. Good is usually defined by what the masses envy most of the elite, and Evil is anything that goes against what the masses feel is good. Hence you have all these charlatan philosophers who praise values like stoicism and self-effacement and society on the whole is founded on snubbing yourself for each other instead of actually accepting each other wholly.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

Ah, yes. The Moral Relativity is more sophisticated than Moral Objectivity argument. I haven't heard THAT before.

Lol @ good and evil being called objective. That is precisely what is wrong right now. They are not objective in the least.

Good—as we see it—is all based either on resentment or self-despite and evil is based on having power over yourself and your own destiny. Therefore we praise being codependant on each other and shun Independence, reward tears and not courage, expect pity and not respect.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

I don't see Good and Evil as being that in the slightest degree.

Ditto. That made absolutely no sense.

Good—as we see it—is all based either on resentment or self-despite and evil is based on having power over yourself and your own destiny.

I think you’re quite wrong. Good – as we see it – is based on sacrificing oneself for those with less power over themselves and their destinies. This is why people like Ghandi are held in such high esteem. Evil is the beast within us gone unchecked; when there is no governing body above us the worst comes out – and I’m talking about the most fundamental governing body, our conscience. You don’t need to look much further than Nazi death camps or, more recently, Abu Ghraib for evidence of that.

Especially not in books, at least the one’s I’ve read.

In the story I’m writing, actually, the protagonist is attempting to achieve independence over what others expect her destiny to be. She hates having people pity her. She wants power over her fate. Is she evil?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

How is she trying to carry it out? Goals aren’t always good or evil, but how you reach them certainly is.

How is she trying to carry it out? Goals aren’t always good or evil, but how you reach them certainly is.

And aiming for a good goal with questionable methods is what turns characters into anti-heroes.

In any case, how complex our interpretation of good and evil is is dependant on what we want of our story. I’m citing Umbridge again, because she a good example of an ‘evil’ character done so well she’ll make your blood boil. She’s not a very complex character, but she reflects the common dissatisfaction of an close-minded, ill-run government and gets in the way of our heroes, thus striking two nerves in one. At the end of the day, whatever one’s views on the complexities of good and evil are, as long as they side our readers with the protagonist and makes them want to see the antagonist fall from their high chair, we have accomplished our job as writer – to make them think is better, yes, but it’s not mandatory. At the end of the day, we’re setting out to give an interesting read.

Well, I came into this late :D

Alright, since most of this topic has been about Big-Bad style antagonists, I’ll say something about the little guys. I’ve always loved the Quirky Miniboss Squad, the small gang of bizzare personalities (a la Foxhound) or Those Two Bad Guys (ex. Mr. Croup and Mr. Valdeman), or The Dragon (see The Witch King), since they are always a more tangable threat. They arn’t afriad to get their hands dirty, and there is always the chance that they can be defeated before the end of the book (unlike the big bad, who you know is going to pull through right up till the end) that adds that little bit of oomph to a conflict.

But I’m out of practice and rambling, so I’ll end here :D

• CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009

Yeah, which is why people with ambition and determination are always considered cruel and needlessly harsh and saps who act humble are always considered angels.

Face it, good as we perceive it is designed to shape the way we think. We would rather avoid conflict than meet it head on, lie to ourselves and our children, never confront our own self-effacing actions. The best way to win over someone’s admiration is to pretend to be weak rather than to keep your own autonomy and grit. Which is why you always have people who play the “hurt” card to win the side of neutral audiences, rather than argue with rational reasoning. Whoever can put on a better show of pain is always the righter one.

Who would you say is “good”? The person who avoids challenge and always asks for help or the person who meets it head on and tries to be as independent as possible? Do our religions and philosophies idealize one or the other, and if so why? Can we not recognize what is wrong with our attitudes to life? Can we not see why it is important to recognize and respect our own individuality and other individuals? Why do we insist that other people must conform to our standards, and what makes our standards “good” in the first place? What is our justification, and why is it valid?

I could not disagree more, CB, about many of your arguments. Let me rationally and respectfully tell you why.

No one thinks that weakness is better than strength. However, everyone pretty much agrees that strength should not be used for bad causes. And I admit that I’m one person who hates conflict. You can probably tell. However, just because I don’t like to see people shout at each other doesn’t mean I’m a wuss. I would just rather talk things out logically if it’s worth talking over.

Yes, ambitiousness is often portrayed as overambitiousness, and thus negatively. However, I’m pretty sure that most belief systems advocate a good hard day’s work. People have gotten lazy, but we’ve never shown laziness as a positive trait. (People don’t practice what they preach, but that’s another matter entirely)

And I don’t really think that a person who pretends to be weak will procure my admiration. They might procure my sympathy and compassion, but that’s not respect. Bella Swan from Twilight, for example, fails to win my respect. Someone like Lyra from His Dark Materials does. People empathize with those who suffer. For the most part, they want to help, even if they don’t really carry it out the right way sometimes.

For myself, I highly value independence and determination. But I also value compassion and humbleness. No one wants to deal with an arrogant git, regardless of whether he’s an independent arrogant git. Would say that selfishness is preferable to compassion because compassion is showing preference to those who are weak?

Individuality is important. I wholeheartedly agree that everyone is not one big group of identical humans. I also cannot tell you what makes us ‘good enough’ to say what’s good and what’s not. But I don’t think that good only is society’s way of brainwashing you. You haven’t said it in so many words, but that’s what I’m getting out of your post.

Well, that was a lot. Hope some of it was coherent and relevant.

• CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009 edited

Incorrect, I value compassion, but also self-honesty. I understand the virtues of compassion, but compassion should also never be done blindly, lest it lead to long-term destruction.

Think about how many people do “compassionate” deeds just to impress other people or feel good about themselves. A good example of this is how you perceive the homeless. Some people don’t give money, others throw money at them. Both are pretty iffy dealings to me. The way I see it the homeless should be given a task to do so he feels like he earned it through his own labor. That is how you break the cycle of dependency and give him dignity at the same time. That is how he can realize he has the power over his own choices and can become a self-reliant man.

Are our choices really compassionate if we seriously damage an individual’s long-term spirit? Or is it just grounded in patting our own egos and feeling good about ourselves for being “virtuous”? Do we make treating everybody else like children a virtue?

Another good example is how we feel the need to pass laws to protect other people from themselves, such as substance laws and so forth. We feel so concerned that other people might make the wrong choices that we ourselves support these laws. We don’t say, as an individual, you can make choices for yourself, and if you hurt others you will be punished—no, we say, for the good of society we ought to do this or do that, even if it means taking away the real aspect of choice. We call it a “civilized” society, but it’s only held in order by those who hold the majority stance and gunpower.

Why do we as a people feel the need to surround our lives with fantasy? Why is reality so unbearable so that when someone comes along and points out the truth we feel personally castrated? Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. But not one person minds trying to silence those who disagree with the “right” beliefs. If your ideas are right, dissenting thought should not make you sweat in nervousness. It should be welcomed, so you can revise your thinking and make it better. Think about holocaust denial laws. I believe the holocaust did happen, but if other people want to disagree so be it, we can always argue about it with reason. Screaming “insensitive”, “racist”, “bigoted” and “closeminded” and stifling speech to protect someone’s feelings and walking away is how we become close-minded ourselves.

Why don’t we support decentralized power? Empowering everyone equally, not handing it over to just the people who the majority deems “correct”? Who is the real cynic now?

But that’s not it, it goes even deeper than just law, it’s also how we interact with people every day. We are too shy to be rude, and our constant shyness leads us to do really dickish things in the end. We become spectators to everything that goes on around us, forgetting that the choice of inaction is also an action—and as such is a choice we make as individuals, whose consequences we are just as responsible for. Think about as a child how you watch on as a spectator idly as children torment each other in school each day. We do absolutely nothing, we just watch on in silence because we feel afraid for ourselves. Those that do express their dissent are ostracized and outcasted, and by that we learn how to conform and be social. We conform because we want to be accepted by others. Then when we grow up we become adults. Sometimes we want to say something and just disagree, but most of the time we never say what’s on our mind to “keep the peace”—this is just another way of saying we want others to accept and admire us a majority of the time. When most people say “keep the peace” what they’re really saying is “make sure people still like me and I’m not alone, even if I have to hide me from others”. In a free country that’s about the worst that can happen if you disagree with a person. Why should people have to agree with us to “keep the peace”? Why can’t we just argue furiously all day but not let our disagreements be the main factor of our friendship? Why is that such a crazy idea? Are we really tolerant of differences, or just of superficial, mundane aspects like sex, gender, and race—things that physically are, while humans have more deeper aspects to them?

How many people there are that complain about how hard their lives are! But very few people realize they have the ability to improve it themselves through their own willpower. Instead they cry about how unfair life is to them and try to offset the cards in their hands by winning the sympathy of others. They don’t realize though you’ve been dealt with really shitty cards you can still play with them, and how intelligently you play with those cards is what matters in the end. Instead they win the sympathy of others by crying the loudest and getting them to lift you up out of the trench you were born in, most of the time without even trying yourself. We reward tears, not sweat. If you sweat, that’s also admirable, but if you cry, oh you poor, poor darling, how cruel life is! And anyone who disagrees with such ideals is a Nazi scumbag fascist douche and a bitter lonely person—that’s how we dismiss things so easily.

What we define as good and evil is too shallow. Some supposedly “good” choices lead to grave evils. Some supposedly “evil” choices lead to lots of good. We call people evil because we don’t want to understand what drives them. We call people good because we don’t want to question their supposed virtue. In the end most of our “good” ideals, if not carefully considered, lead to the destruction of will-power and resilience; most of our “evil” ideals sound evil and callous, but if carefully considered, lead to mutual respect and self-determination. You can be an “evil” person and still compassionate, and you can be a “good” person and still egotistical and self-righteous—especially if you never think about how your helping hands hurts the very people whom you sought to help.

I’d rather teach a man to fish for life than give him a fish for the night, personally. He may not understand what I am doing right now, or ever, but at least he can feed himself in the end—let him curse me all he wants for not giving him free fish; let him call me a cruel exploiter. But if given the option I would teach him how to feed himself, not how to have to rely on anybody else. That does not imply that they can’t give him free food if they feel like—that would be kind indeed. But the problem is other people are so self-righteous that they insist that if we don’t give immediate satisfaction to others, people like us are cruel.

A life without passion and filled with temporary pleasure is bound to lead to ennui.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Why do we as a people feel the need to surround our lives with fantasy?

Because I wish magic was real.

Hur hur hur.

Instead of wishing magic was real, why not do the things you wish you had magic for to do?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Because I can’t fly. With pretty white wings.

Study physics. Build wings. Problem solved.

But if you knew why you wanted to fly, find another way to fulfill those reasons.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I’ve already done bungy jumping and a tandem skydive.

Building wings would not sate an inner desire to have pretty, white, feathered wings growing out of my back.

So instead I will daydream and fulfill practical world desires to become a corporate bitch.

As long as you recognize they are daydreams it’s not harmful, so go ahead.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009 edited

Besides, wings on a human are physically impracticable. Like those wingsuits people wear to “fly”? They’re too small to land with, but larger ones are far too dangerous to fly with, so even though you (sort of) can fly, you can’t really. Everything has limitations. Dreaming is a much safer and less limited experience.

Creativity dissolves all limitations.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

TLDR.

lol

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Dreaming is a much safer and less limited experience.

Magic makes it safe. :D

I want to post another tl;dr post.

I’m sorry, bt at 1:47 AM this feels appropriate:

Sister (during power outtage): Let’s use the electric door!
    [waits for it to work. It doesn’t]
    Oh right, it’s electric. We have a power outage. Duh.
    Dad: What did you think made it run?
    Sister: MAGIC!

You seee? Magic makes the world go round. It’s a boost to everything. If we didn’t have magic, why, we wouldn’t have fantasies. And fantasises are important.

Oh God I have been up to long.

Man, sometimes my posts are a little disjointed when I’m up late, but you can still understand the point that I’m making. That was just incomprehensible.

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009

I like antagonists that kill their henchmen to show how eeeevvvvilllllll they are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited

I like antagonists who kill some protagonists to show how competent they are.

I like antagonists who make the protagonist doubt he’s morally correct.

Man, sometimes my posts are a little disjointed when I’m up late, but you can still understand the point that I’m making. That was just incomprehensible.

This is called a hangover moment. THis is when you wake up after a night of partying and think “Oh God, what did I do??

Except here, all I did is in print. headdesk

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

I like antagonists who make the protagonist doubt he’s morally correct.

^ ^This, and then this v v

I like antagonists who kill some protagonists to show how competent they are.

I like LeChuck, because he goes after Guybrush Threepwood himself, rather than delegating the task to a henchman whom he knows will screw up. Who cares that it doesn’t work out in the end?

This relates to Dan Locke’s comment-

What annoys me sometimes is if you have a massively powerful antagonist, like Galbatorix is supposed to be, and he’s getting his butt kicked by Eragon and co., who logically should be getting their butt kicked. Why doesn’t Galbatorix just come out and start destroying everything like Sauron in the Last Battle?

(Admittedly, that does not turn out so well for Sauron, but he caused considerable damage before getting defeated by Elendil and Gil-Galad. And then Isildur cut the ring off his finger.)

Thats because Sauron was gloating at the time. Or helping Isildur back up. This is what I choose to believe :D

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

I like antagonists that are competent.

Also, Sauron was not killed by Elendil and Isildur. Sauron was brought down by Elendil and Gil-Galad, and after his body was dead, Isildur cut the ring off his finger. Elendil and Gil-Galad died to kill Sauron, but it didn't take.