Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009

So I was just in the public library, and in the corner they have this cardboard Harry Potter saying: "I can fly, can you fly?" and next to him it has a cardboard Edward saying in pink letters all pretty and cursive: "No, but I sparkle."

So I'm wondering, why is it always Harry Potter against Twilight?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Probably because both caused huge tidal waves of obnoxious fangirl obsession.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I don’t know why… I’ve never read Harry Potter, but it doesn’t seem to be anything remotely like Twilight, so… I have no idea. Because they were both popular? And because Robert Pattinson was in both movies?

Perhaps they had similar impacts on popular culture? Granted, Harry Potter is a much greater and bigger series than Twilight, but they’ve both become large parts of pop-culture. It’s like how everyone used to look foreward to the next Potter book with great anticipation and would talk non-stop about it, and how many self-proclaimed readers had never read anything outside of JKR’s series – I’m sure there’s a reflection of this in Twilight, minus the quality of the books.

I kind of want to see that display. And the public library that would put it up.
    But yeah, I think it’s because they were both popular, and because I guess Twilight filled the “void” that was left after Harry finished.
    In a manner of speaking.

I think it’s also an ignorance of fantasy books in general. Twilight and Harry Potter are both fantasy novels. Therefore, they are very much alike and can easily be compared.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard

Because they are both best-selling novels with “magical” elements. That simple.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009

They’re the two most recent HUGE FAN WAVE things to come along.

•  
      CommentAuthorRand
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009

Aaaargh, Swenson, you definitely ought to read it soon!

Apart from that, yeah, its like HP handed the baton off to Twilight. The kids who grew up reading Harry Potter turn into squealing teens reading Twilight.* They're both fantasy and they both appeal to kids in a sort of fantasy-fulfilling way (who wouldn't want to know they're orphans that are actually a celebrity in a secret world, and that there's something more exciting than the real world out there?)

*Some of them. Not all, not all.

Also, they have authors who throw hissy fits when someone encroaches on their domain.

They both have really hot guys.

No, that was a joke ;) I think it’s because of the whole ‘magic’ aspect, even though Twilight had almost NO magic involved, unless you count the creepy voices in the second one. (which I don’t) Also, they were both pretty quick bestsellers, which may have something to do with it.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

Also, they have authors who throw hissy fits when someone encroaches on their domain.

I think Jo’s ‘hissy fit’ was more justified, though. She’s planning to write a Harry Potter Encyclopedia at some time with the profits going to charity and information not in the series included in this book. She filed a lawsuit against the owner of the HP Lexicon, whose site is a [very useful] indexing of Harry Potter facts, but his proposed books added no commentary of his own, it was just taking all of Jo’s stuff and indexing it.

Where, with Meyer, she flipped out due to a partial of the book being leaked. She should have taken it better. It was a rough draft, plus it wasn’t even the full book. I highly doubt that it would have hurt sales, since people already know what’s going to happen in the book anyways. It’s just a retelling of the same story from a different perspective. Woohoo.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

Authors are just poor people who lose their minds when fed well.

I don’t understand how Harry Potter is compared to Twilight. They are completely different in style and substance and appeal to completely different demographics. They’re both just popular. Other than that, they’re really not related that much.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009

*Head tilt*

Say whaaaa?

OK. Whaaaa?

Happy?

•  
      CommentAuthorRand
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009

Are you two demonstrating writers losing your minds or is there some other purpose?

I took WiseWillow’s statement out of context in order to make a joke.

It was slightly funny, no worries. ;)

• CommentAuthorMrHyde
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009

slightly funny

I understand that. It was never meant to be anything but a cheap throwaway gag.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlackwolf
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009

I think another basis for the comparison was because both authors are 'ordinary' housewives who suddenly made it big and became household names.

I don’t think JKR ever counted as being an ‘ordinary housewife’. Wasn’t she a single mother? I don’t think it’s much of a basis in any case.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009

The books were both by first-time authors and went on to sell a lot? That aside, they don’t have much in common.

The authors are both women…?

They’re both books?

They’re both… big?

They both have authors…

They both have words… Come on people; THINK! ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorInkasrain
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009

Covers! They both have covers! With the titles printed in unique fonts which have since been facsimilated online for the masses!

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009

How did no one think of this before?

The pic didn’t come up. Post it again, please?

Try doing it as ! url ! : url (without spaces). It works better.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009

Wow…those Harry Potter and Twilight cardboard figures, somebody (I’m assuming a Twi-tard) messed up the Harry Potter one and taped a piece of paper onto Edward that said “I survived a 108 years of high-school. I win, potter.”

I know it wasn’t a librarian because the writing on the piece of paper looked like it had been written by a 3-year old armed with a marker.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009

I was at Wal-Mart the other day an I saw a huge display of posters they were selling for various films. There were about ten different posters for Twilight/Robert Pattinson, and one for Harry Potter. And it wasn’t an awesome one, but I still bought it. >>

“I survived a 108 years of high-school. I win, potter.”

I say that Harry still wins. He gets to graduate when he’s seventeen, and he isn’t an idiot who chose to go high school for 108 years. It’s funny that someone edited Edward’s speech though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited

Now the Harry Potter one says: “You know, purple really isn’t your color.”

And Edward something along the lines of: “You look stupid in that bathrobe.”

I wonder how long it is until the library takes those down. :P

Harry isn't a creeper.
    I think he wins.

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people… The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good. – Stephen King

Ah, that infamous quote.

Puppet, I kinda wish my library was like yours. I mean, dueling cardboard cutouts—what’s not to love? xD

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009

It is sort of fun to see the text change day by day. XD

“I can fly, can you fly?”

This quote has been nagging me all this time because it was so familiar. I kept hearing it in my head, but I couldn’t remember where it was from. But, I have remembered! It’s from The Incredibles, Buddy to Mr. Incredible.

Double post bump, but it’s interesting.

Twilight has 97,999 fanfictions to Potterverse’s 412,180. Potter wins. Burn, Edward.

That’s not entirely fair SAlien. Potter had a head start.

We should choose a sort of period (maybe, the year right when the last book of both series came out?) and see what were the fan fic totals for that year or something.

Also, the last Potter sold, what , 8.3 million copies at midnight versus Breaking Dawn's 1.3 million? Twilight has a ways to go before it's as popular. It just seems as popular if not more because the fangirls overreact so much more.

It just seems as popular if not more because the fangirls overreact so much more.

I… I think you got it, QC. I think you just… wow, you got it!

Thanks.

I agree with QC.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009

Harry Potter doesn't focus on a Mary Sue.
    Harry Potter doesn't rape established mythological creatures.
    Harry Potter is actually written above the teenage level, despite it's intended readership.
    Harry Potter makes use of creative characters and story.
    Harry Potter doesn't confuse conflict with hollow drama.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Harry Potter doesn’t rape established mythological creatures.

This is arguable. It obviously doesn’t rape them, by no means, but does hijack them to interesting ends. I rather enjoy it.

Eh, I think it’s ok to take a bit of creative license with fantastical creatures. I mean, technically, it’s not like it’s wrong to make vampires sparkle. It’s just ridiculous to read about and to hear, so we point it out and mock it.

There is a difference.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited

Edward Cullen and his fam have more in common with Michelangelo's David than Bram Stoker's Dracula
    It stays close to the traditional stories of mythological creatures, but a vampire is only met once in the story, and he doesn't drink blood or anything while he's there.

Edward Cullen and his fam have more in common with the Michelangelo’s David than Bram Stoker’s Dracula

Haha. True.

This is arguable. It obviously doesn’t rape them, by no means, but does hijack them to interesting ends. I rather enjoy it.

Hmm.m.. I’m interested now in what Virgil’s eventual take on my magnum opus will be.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

What is your magnum opus Nate?

Someday Virgil… someday.

I thought that it was Nagasaki Moon.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009

Someday indeed.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009

Edward Cullen and his fam have more in common with Michelangelo’s David than Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

Well, Edward and David are both statues.

ha ha Dan. No, Nagasaki Moon is pure fun.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited

My brain processed that as _Kawasaki Moon_, and now I have this mental image of a guy riding a little Kawasaki kids truck under a full moon. Complete with 80s electronic music and guitar riffs.

My brain processed “Kawasaki Moon” as a Kawasaki motorcycle with exposed buttocks.

Bleurgh.

Well, Edward and David are both statues.

Haha.

The hogwarts professor did a whole series on HP and Twilight.

1 example

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

Harry Potter will own Twilight. JKR can actually write.

Harry Potter will own s Twilight.

Fixed.

^^ Haha. Agreed.
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009

Thanks for the correction. I think that yours is far more accurate.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009

XDDDD

I just saw a poster at my library that said:

THE ULTIMATE DEBATE

POTTER vs. TWILIGHT

Two live debates!

Must…. Go… XDDD

Oh my.
    I would go in and shout something profane in the direction of the Twitard.

Puppet, you have to tell us what happens!

Yes! Simply have to! It would be so cool!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Record it!

See, but Smeyer’s supposed allegory is hidden under a pile of crap and cream. I don’t think that Eve spent much time going on and on about how hot the forbidden fruit was.

And, yes, Puppet, record it.

I third that!

Fourth it.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

Fifthed.

sixthed…?!!
    Make sure you take lots of this there though….

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

For teens in grade 6 and up. Which series is truly best? Watch two teams of fans go head-to-head, then cast your vote for the winner. Event kicks off with a trivia contest, open to all. You won’t want to miss this literary smackdown! Come in costume to support your favorite series.

I want to see the Twi-fans in Edward sparkle. XDDD

Make sure you take shades!

No, not that shade, this(these) shade(s)

Minus the human, of course

I see what you did there.

Me, or Puppet?
    (for I have no cryptic notions)
    EDIT: Added an unholy question mark!

You.

I still don’t know what i did there :(

Who is that second man with shades?

>I still don’t know what i did there :(

You mean that the pun based on Durza being a Shade was an accident?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2009 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2009

Shades, you say?

On another note…
    how do i type in italics, bold and strikethrough text ?

_Do_ *stuff* -like this-, and select "Format comments as Textile" in the space below the text box.

I bow down and thank you
    I think i got it

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009

So I’m at the library for a informational meeting about the debate… and I see that they have “Walls” for writing your thoughts on the books. Here are the comments:

Potter is best because…

“It doesn’t have vampires that sparkle”

“Characto is more developed and grow with each book. Plot line is more singular and can be followed better.”

“Because it’s more better and more adventure Harry Potter duh”

“Bella = stupid, flat, bland. Edward = abusive, controlling.”

Twilight is best because…

“It’s not”

“Its amazing!”

I have not made any of these up, or edited them myself, these are direct quotes from the “Wall”.

“It’s not”

Zing!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009 edited

Well, the informational meeting went well… 5 people (including me) showed up, all of them HP fans. So 3 of them decided to join team Twilight. Its a sad day when HP fans debate for Twilight. :P

Edit: This is disturbing… I’m seeing a large amount of 9-12 year old girls asking about the debate. oO

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009

At least with the inclusion of Twilight fans you will have enough people for a proper debate. Assuming the 9-12 year olds are actually Twilight fans, as it’s entirely possible that they’re fellow Harry Potter enthusiasts.

these are direct quotes from the “Wall”.

BRING ON THE WALL!!!

The wall scares me. It has… corners...

I reserve the right to make no sense today.

How’s that different from any other day Steph? ;-)