Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009

This is basicly a fan-club of the Studio Ghibli films. :P

So far I've watched, Howls Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

I think Princess Mononoke is my favorite, closely followed by Howls Moving Castle and Spirited Away.

I'm wondering what I should watch next, I heard Grave of the Fireflies was really good (and sad) from one person.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

I love Spirited Away! It’s my favorite. My second favorite is probably Kiki’s Delivery Service. I’ve seen all the one’s that you’ve seen, and I too have yet to see Grave of the Fireflies… I’m sure it is really good, but I don’t know if I want to experience the sadness…

• CommentAuthorMorvius

Joe Hisiaishi's music is epic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, one of the things I love so much about the Ghibli movies is the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I've seen Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro, Pom Poko and Graveyard of the Fireflies.

The music is indeed epic, particularly Mononoke. Miyazaki uses emotion, particularly sadness, very effectively in most of the stories.
    I've only seen Spirited Away and Howl's (though I'm thinking about seeing Ponyo in August). But yeah, the music is extraordinary. And the animation's always great.

I’ve seen Princess Mononoke, Howl’s Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind, Porco Rosso, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki’s Delivery Service. I have also seen Graveyard of the Fireflies, but I didn’t see all of it – lots of warfare.

Kiki’s Delivery Service was the first anime I had ever seen, and also my first Miyazaki. I loved Gigi, and my favorite line is still “First, don’t panic. Second, don’t panic. And third, did I mention not to panic?” My favorite Miyazaki of all time, though, is Castle in the Sky. The characters are amazing, the plot is awesome, the music is fantastic, and the two lovers get to stay together in the end, unlike in Spirited Away (ARGH!).

Spirited Away, thouight it was the best and even thought about getting it from Blockbuster tonight.

Spirited Away. I like Howl's Moving Castle, but they wrecked so much of it, and I hated the music for it, actually! Spirited Away's music was great, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009

Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and Howl’s Moving Castle. I didn’t like Howl’s moving castle all that much; it just seemed a little bit to romancey for my tastes (though it also brobably had something to do with one of the girls I was watching it with, who squealed every time howl/christian bale said someing). The other two I thought were incredible, though. Spirited away is probably my favorite animated movie.

Well, you know. Christian Bale’s voice is pretty cool. BUT THEY DREW HIM LIKE A GIRL!

Have you read the book of HMC? It’s fantastically written, and there’s like no romance in it except for the very end. But it doesn’t feel contrived.

I’ve seen HMC and Spirited Away. I didn’t like HMC much, but that was mainly because I read the book first and the film was completely different from it. Spirited Away was great, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009

I’ve seen Howl’s Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa and the Wind Valley, Spirited Away, Castle In the Sky, Kiki’s Delivery Service, My neighbor Totoro, and Grave of the Fireflies.

Didi you know that they made a remake of Grave of the Fireflies? It’s called Tombstone of the Fireflies (it has the same Japanese name, but they changed it for the international title).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1250968/

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009 edited

@ Steph

I know, right! He was just so pretty fabulous bishonen. Never read the book verson. The tvtropes page says it’s good though, so I’ll have to look into it.

Christian Bale’s voice is pretty cool.

WHAT?! Christian Bale was Howl? I watched HMC and missed fangirling about Christian Bale?!

(Yeah, I’ve been addicted to him since I saw Pocahantus as a kid)

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009 edited

I don’t get the Bale hype, I mean, anymore than any other attractive male actor. There are plenty of good, attractive actors out there who aren’t Batman…

Also my favorite is Spirited Away. Castle in the Sky is more of a complete allegory I think, but Spirited Away just has so many nuances tucked in, and is so bizarre, you gotta give it the top spot.

Spirited Away was excellent; the right amount of creepiness, drama and love. It was my favorite movie as a kid. ;) I should try and watch some others by Ghibli…

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

But…. He’s the goddamn Batman!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

Now that I look back on it, Howls Moving Castle wasn't as good as I first thought (I haven't watched the full movie for 2 years.), I think I actually liked Howls Castle better then the characters themselves. :P

I didn't like Spirited Away at first, just because it was so bizarre, but it really was a amazing film, and probably the best in animation terms.

Princess Mononoke is still in first, but Spirited Away is in second now, Kiki's comes in third, followed by Howls and Laputa.