Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I like Chewie, but R2 is a deus ex machina (more blatantly in the prequels) and C3PO is just annoying.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalisman
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009

Just watched Planet 51, which was okay. Not bad, but aimed at a younger crowd than me. Terrific animation, mediocre storyline, a few good bits.

C3PO is just annoying.

BUT HE’S SO FUNNY! And R2 is adowable:

I’m the only female I know who didn’t cry on it. D:

I haven’t seen it yet, but it takes a lot to make me cry during an animated film.

I did watch Marley and Me. That made me cry, and I came close on My Sister’s Keeper.

Aside from Princess and the Frog at the end of the week, I’m at a loss for what movies to watch. Anybody got any suggestions?

Why New Moon of course!

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009

Anchorman, Dodgeball, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Mean Girls, Stardust or Quantum of Solace.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Moon and the Prestige.

Anchorman, Dodgeball, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Mean Girls, Stardust or Quantum of Solace

Moon and The Prestige

Already saw those, and I already watched a bit of Mean Girls and Dodgeball

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

MOON.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Star Wars/Lord of the Rings marathon?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

MOON.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

MOON.

Guess I’ll try to watch Moon sometime soon.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Guess I’ll try to watch Moon sometime soon. NAO

Fix’d.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

MOON.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

PRESTIGE.

OLDBOY.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Traitor.

Hmph, I’ve just remembered I forgot to watch Return of the Jedi last weekend. Which is rather disappointing, because that was one of the reasons I bailed on my friend. Dang.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel

Prestige and Oldboy <3

Friend of mine was strangely unenthused by Moon D:

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Friend of mine was strangely unenthused by Moon D:

Looks to me like your friend has an “accident” in his near future. ಠ_ಠ

SUN

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Good god that can’t be an actual movie. D:

Youtube wouldn’t let me see it…it must be really bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009

^^Same here.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009

^^^Thirded.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited

Well, over the course of this week, I've watched:
    Terminator: Salvation (IMO, nowhere near as good as the first ones, and was it just me, or did the Arnold Swar. appearance look a little CGI?)
    Night at the Musem: The battle of the Smithsonian (pretty light, okay, I guess.)
    Part of Romancing the Stone(YES! I'll admit it!)
    Matrix, of course.
    New Star Trek(Actually pretty good)
    Original StarWars, not remastered.
    Part of BladeRunner.
    The entire Season two of InuYasha(It may become an obbsession!)
    Serenity
    Star Trek The Next Generation: Episodes 166,165,and 150
    Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Episode 104
    Star Trek Voyager: Episodes 26, and 36
    Star Trek: Inssurection

*blinks*
    Maybe I watch to much T.V.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009

Maybe just a little. :D

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited

Rob Roy. Oh, you need to see this.

Our setting: The Scottish highlands, early 1700s. English nobles, who disdain the highlanders and take advantage of them.
    Our hero: Robert Roy MacGregor. Noble and honorable to a fault; played by the superb Liam Neeson.
    Our leading lady: Mary MacGregor, Rob’s wife. Is a bit more pragmatic than he is, but understands his naive sense of honor.
    Our premise: Rob wants to improve the lives of his clan, so he borrows one thousand pounds from the Marquis of Montrose, planning to buy cattle, then sell them for profit. The money goes missing. Conflict ensues as Rob’s honor and courage are tested.
    Our villain: The despicable complete monster, Archibald Cunningham. A bastard gentleman who is a guest of the Marquis; he is one of the most hateful villains I’ve ever seen. At times I really wanted to cause him serious bodily injury.
    Rating: R. There is some brief male nudity, but the naughty bits are covered. There’s also a duel at the end.

My thoughts: It is beautifully filmed. They filmed in Scotland, so there’s gorgeous scenery in every single shot. Authentic costumes, and wonderful casting. Nuanced performances too: Mary MacGregor is no anachronistic feminist, but she’s no doormat either. Also, there is a touching sub-plot of sorts that focuses on the relationship between husband and wife. It’s very sweet and realistic, and feels rare. There’s few action sequences, but the duel at the end is very realistic, gritty and emotional. Interesting motifs about honor, duty, and pragmatism.

It is thematically similar to Braveheart. I have never seen Braveheart, nor do I wish to. Rob Roy is somewhat historically inaccurate, while Braveheart is painfully so. Mel Gibson creeps me out, and the very summary of the plot makes me cringe. I really recommend Rob Roy, and if anyone happens to see it, please let me know.

Five Stars*****

Couldn’t watch Moon since the DVD won’t come out until January, so I got a copy of Dark City instead.

I don’t get the fuss about Avatar. It looks like Dances With Wolves starring CGI furries.

• CommentTimeDec 16th 2009

I am very amused. Personally the trailers don’t look very interesting. And the CGI is creepy. I miss Gollum.

....did I just say that? O.o

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2009

I saw Avatar yesterday. It may have been the greatest movie I’ve ever seen in my life.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

A friend of mine, when asked where it was on a scale of Eragon to Fight Club, said it was Fight Club +, so I’m thinking that maybe I should go see it…

I have now seen Up. I did not cry. It was an alright movie though. I have also seen Gattaca, which was good.

Up was “alright”? If you say so… on the other hand, I have no intention of seeing Avatar , so live and let live!

:)

^^Does that mean you really liked it or didn’t? I thought it was better than some, but not as good as others. It was a cute movie. I liked it better than Nemo. I’d watch it again.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

^^It sort of looks it in the previews.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, I wasn’t impressed by the trailers of Avatar.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

If it wasn’t heralded as an icon that would revolutionize films I wouldn’t mind, but… yeah. It sucked.

Yeah, I figured. I’ll probably try to watch via shady internet means at some point just to see what the fuss is about, but there’s no way I’m going to add to its box office figures just to confirm my suspicions for myself.

I had to chuckle though whilst looking at Metacritic, since most everybody seemed to say the same thing(impressive effects, lousy plot/characters) and whether they gave it a good score or not depended on which aspect the individual critic considered more important.

We watched Schindler’s list in sociology. It was so amazing, yet horrifying. I want to buy it just so I can watch it all in one sitting.

Saw Avatar today. While it had a pretty slow start, the film had an amazing climax.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Finding Neverland. It never fails to dissolve me into a puddle of tears. Gosh.

• CommentTimeDec 19th 2009 edited

I loved Up :)

Oh, and the thing is, the Na’vi (is that right?) creep me out. A lot. They look like a furry’s imagination on crack >.<

I have Avatar downloaded now but I’m not sure if I want to watch it. It’d really only be for trollcred, and even then people would just say it didn’t count since I didn’t see it in 3D.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009

bq. impressive effects, lousy plot/characters

And given the fact that Cameron's been working on this bloody film for _fourteen years_, that's quite inexcusable.

Finding Neverland.

That is such a wonderful movie. I almost cried at the end. ;.; But yeah, really good movie.

The last movie I watched was Joyeux Noel, a movie in French and German and English about the Christmas Truces of 1914…
    The entire thing was a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming. I cried.

Inspector, I LOVE THAT MOVIE! I think I’ve raved about it on this thread somewhere… Was it your inspiration for “1914”?

No, that wasn’t my insperation. I’ve known about the event and wanted to write about it for awhile.

But the movie was very, very good.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009

I’m watching Ferris Beuler’s Day Off. I just love this movie. :)

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009

The only thing going for Avatar is the graphics. The storyline is rather predictable. No, scratch that. Very predictable. I knew the whole story from just watching the trailer. Yes, some people are like saying that it's the best movie ever. Seriously.

I agree with Marquis, it only picked up later on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009

I’m the only female I know who didn’t cry on it. D:

...totally late with this, but I didn’t either.

<<
    >>

Watched The Fellowship of the Ring last night. Epic, as ever. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009

Got an iTunes gift card. Just gotta decide what movie to buy with it, since I use a cheaper site for music. I’m thinking either 5 Firefly episodes, or a really good movie that I’ve got to see still. Any suggestions on must-see movies?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009

Sherlock Holmes was quite enjoyable. The fight scenes could have been shorter, I think, but the banter between Holmes and Watson is very enjoyable.

Sherlock Holmes seemed to absolutely kill the character of Holmes himself though… Did it bear any similarities to the books at all?
    Heh, watched The Two Towers last night. Two things: one, I hate how they changed Faramir’s character because he was nothing like that in the beginning, and two, I love how they changed Faramir’s character because one can see his progression throughout the movie. ;) But anyhow, it was quite wonderful.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2009

No, it was pretty true to the character. He didn’t do straight opium but was pretty whacked out anyways, and apparently there were fight scenes in the books.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009

CNN would have me believe the Super Official Holmes Society gives the film their unofficial seal of approval. I can’t vouch for its authenticity myself but thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

I watched The Return of the King night before last (yesterday night I watched some special features. ;P) and it was amazing, as ever. Possibly more wonderful than ever because I was eating tortilla chips and guacamole whilst watching.
    Would you guys be interested in a critique of the movies? I was planning on writing an article (maybe one for each movie) and then sending it over to Sly. I know most of you have already watched the movie, so if my super brilliant idea sounds not so super brilliant, let me know. ;)

I think it's a great idea, especially because it was mine! Hehe...

Your wit astounds me… rolls eyes

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009

Or you two could do it together and make it supar speshul awesum!

Um, yeah, that was the plan. ;)

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2010

"Inception Trailer":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxOzSJT_w28
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2010 edited

Saw the trailer forever ago (the first one), looks awesome. 8D

Huh, that’s the first time I’ve seen that trailer, and yeah, it does look pretty cool. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It’s the first I’ve heard of the film, and I am now interested.

I watched Inglorious Basterds on Tuesday. ‘Twas good, but not what I expected.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

Going to see Avatar tonight with some friends. No matter how bad it is I know all I’ll hear on the drive back is nerd special effects love, but I hope there’s good plot and characters too. Although I did hear things about the plot being predictable I’m going to ignore that until I see it for myself.

Watching The Big Lebowski right now.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

The plot of Avatar sucks. Even the special effects get a bit old by the end of it. I read about the original script, Project 880, and it looked so much better.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I actually enjoyed Avatar. True, the plot isn’t really original, but that doesn’t make it bad. James Cameron’s built up a little slack with me, so I’m willing to let a stupid plot slide.

I want to see Avatar in theaters for the sole purpose of seeing it in 3D. Even if it sucks, 3D is fun.

• CommentAuthorNo One

I just watched Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (yes, I waited THAT long for the DVD to come out… for subtitles of course)

It was disappointing.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

As were all of the Harry Potter movies.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Gee, the fourth one wasn’t so bad… but yeah.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Wait, which one was the one in which Harry’s godfather died?

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

...the words! They’re gone!
    clutches throat

• CommentAuthorNo One

Oh now I remember. The… 5th one? Yep.

Saw some of Inglourious Basterds on the plane. Then, the flight attendents took my headphones just before the climax so I totally missed all the dialogue. Drats. :(

I saw Avatar.

I think I’m fairly neutral, though I have my issues with it. While the effects were very pretty, like Virgil said, it got tiring quickly. During the entire time I watched it, I kept thinking that all of the characters were freaking flat, and that really annoyed me. :/ It was all so predictable.

It’s probably already been linked to, but I agree with a lot of Cleolinda’s points on the movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2010 edited

After seeing the movie, I mostly agree with Cleolinda except for the parts mentioning watch-checking and wondering when it was going to be over. I wasn’t bored while watching this movie; in fact, I thought it went by fairly fast.

The effects were gorgeous but most of the human characters had personality issues. The villains were atrocious (HERRR THOSE DARNED SAVAGES) and the characters with Na’vi counterparts seemed to do much better when they weren’t being human. I did get a couple watery-eye moments out of parts, most notably Neytiri’s screaming because her father is dead.

I’m also neutral, even though my friends thought it was mediocre in some parts and good in others, it wasn’t bad like the last movies we went to. Then again, the last movies we saw were The Vampire’s Assistant and The Day the Earth Stood Still. :/

edit: and now that I think about it there were a few deus ex machina moments too, mostly with allied characters appearing to save other allied characters from inevitable death. Or the part when

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010

Sherlock Holmes. It was tons of fun and I loved it, probably mostly because I went into it expecting nothing at all. Also I felt like, in a theater filled with Kansas teens, that I was the only one laughing most of the time. Hmm.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Also I felt like, in a theater filled with Kansas teens, that I was the only one laughing most of the time.

I <3 the banter of that movie.

‘How should I list your transgressions, chronologically or alphabetically?’

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010 edited

XD

I was wondering if they didn’t understand the humour, or actually didn’t understand the accents. Which is strange, but I have quite a few friends who claim to not be able to understand British people. :o

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I would kill for a British accent. [gazes at DrA]

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

You’ve got quite a fixation there, Virgil. I thought DrA raped you! (or as good as)

No matter. I would also kill for a British accent, but I don’t need to! I’ll just… um. I dunno, go live over there for the rest of my life and endure ridicule and shame until I procure a passable accent. Yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I would kill for a British accent. [gazes at DrA]

I don’t think murder works like that…

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I don’t think murder works like that…

Oh bollocks.

I dunno, go live over there for the rest of my life and endure ridicule and shame until I procure a passable accent. Yeah.

Thats my plan!

I would kill for a British accent.

So would I. Though my fake one’s not half bad. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

My plan’s better. I’m marrying someone with a British accent. That way I can command him to talk whenever I want, because its easier to hear an accent when you’re not speaking it.

Or I’ll crash a motorcycle and hope this happens to me.

• CommentAuthorRocky

British accent, yes. But which dialect?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearl

No no no. You guys have got it all wrong. Scottish accents are the real deal. :P

I saw Avatar today. It was okay. It was very pretty. There wasn’t much 3D that actually came toward you. It was more just set apart from the background. It was very predictable. I knew pretty much all the “twists” before they happened. The character’s didn’t have much depth. The Na’vi and all the animals and most of the plants didn’t really look like real living things. They looked like fancy video game graphics, pretty, but fake. The District 9 aliens looks much more real, just as an example. All in all, it was so-so, entertaining, but nowhere near ground-breaking.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

If I could give myself any accent, it would be Australian. Those guys are badass.