Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

So I saw 9, and it was a disappointment.

Yeah, I was bummed my local theater wasn’t carrying it until my brother called me later in the week to tell me how disappointed he was, and he usually likes everything he sees that isn’t obviously rubbish. What made me chuckle, though, was that apparently he got some guff from snobs in his film classes for “not appreciating the message,” even though you’d think a real film snob would notice the flaws it supposedly had pretty easily.

Yeah. The plot is weak, the characters are the most paper-thin archetypes imaginable (6 was the only remotely interesting character, and he was autistic), the voice acting is mediocre, and the color palette is drab and monotonous. Then you have continuity gaffes like hats and maps that manage to teleport huge distances from where they’re dropped. Topping everything off is the character rendering, which uses textures for the fabric rather than individual thread models – it makes everyone look like they stepped out of LittleBigPlanet or something.

At least the action scenes were good. I actually think that this movie would have worked better as a video game, considering all of the traveling, fighting, exploring, etc.

As for the “message”, it’s the standard “triumph of the human spirit” garbage that you find in everything from Fantasia 2000 to Battlefield Earth. Right up there with “the importance of family” and “the power of love”.

Oh, my brother talked about it like it was some kind of Wall-E green aesop that tend to strike me as pretty pessimistic. I guess I should probably see it for myself before trying to discuss it, but it just feels like it would be a waste of my time;

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009

I’m going to march into that film with an open mind. I’m not going to say anything of what it reminds me of, just accept that it’s a film and it bears some resemblance to ID4.

Independance Day? For serious?

@ Elanor: You have been deprived. Severely. If only because you’ve never seen Ledger’s Joker.

He was good, and the movie was decent, but I think that it is majorly overrated. Ducks from flying objects thrown by the imps. I liked it okay, and Ledger was great, but it’s not one of the best films of all time, and I really think people wouldn’t have made such a big deal out of it if he hadn’t died. I don’t think she’s severely deprived, but he is quite good in that movie. It’s worth a watch, but not watching it doesn’t really “deprive” you of anything.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2009 edited

but it’s not one of the best films of all time,

That would be A Knight’s Tale. 8D

^^I don’t think I’ve seen that one.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

:O WATCH IT NOW.

It’s fabulicious. I love it. I could watch it over and over and over and over and over and in fact I have done. 8D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

That would be A Knight’s Tale. 8D

That movie is awesome. :D

Yeah, TDK is not the BEST MOVIE EVER but I think it’s well worth watching if only for the awesome score and the Joker. (And I think that even if some of the attention Ledger got was because of his death, he did a good job, and he deserves it. The man’s dead, after all.)

Also, so you get what everyone else is talking about.

I agree that Ledger was awesome and deserved the acclaim. I just think that it wouldn’t have been as much without his death. Also, the movie was like a diamond in a pile of crap that had been out, so it seemed even better than it was.

What other movies were out at the same time? I don’t even remember.

I don’t know. But I watched a lot of really aweful movie right before The Dark Knight, so it seemed pretty good compared to them.

Hancock, Hellboy II, Mamma Mia, Space Chimps, Journey To The Center of the Earth, Meet Dave, Step Brothers, and The X-Files.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Journey To The Center of the Earth

That was brilliant.

I still think that Brendan Fraser’s best performance ever was as Ben on Scrubs

I wonder if I could rent the “Scrubs” DVDs… Do they normally rent out show-season-DVDs?

Yeah, but it depends on the show. You can usually rent really popular shows.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I still think that Brendan Fraser’s best performance ever was as Ben on Scrubs

DON’T MAKE ME CRY.

;_;

Those episodes were back when I liked Scrubs. It used to be really good, and then it got overly silly and stupid. The good ones were really good though.

I heard that the eighth season was terrific.

I wouldn’t know though, as I’ve only watched two or three to six or seven.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Wooo, lovely coincidence, as I’m just about to watch A Knight’s Tale for the second time in two weeks. :D

I saw A Knight’s Tale on my way back from a field trip.

While AKT is brilliant, 10 Things I Hate About You has not one, not two, but three hot guys in it. So yeah.

@ hymd- was the eighth season the last one? I thought that it wasn’t really that funny. Yes, I liked Scrubs when it was surreal and weird. :D

There’s apparently gonna be a ninth season, but it’ll have a change in the premise due to Zach Braff’s absence.

Zach Braff and some other characters will appear for six episodes or so. I think there will either be a new season or a new series, dunno.

Snow White Queen – A la fifth and sixth seasons?

That movie is awesome. :D

I enjoyed A Knights Tale but it was horribly historically inaccurate. But Ledger made me overlook that the first time. ;)

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009 edited

bq. I agree that Ledger was awesome and deserved the acclaim. I just think that it wouldn’t have been as much without his death. Also, the movie was like a diamond in a pile of crap that had been out, so it seemed even better than it was.

Disagree. The buzz--yes, even the Oscar buzz--for Ledger's performance started before his death. And the thing about the hype is that it was generated initially by the studio with one of the best marketing campaigns I've ever seen...and it still lived up to the hype. I remember hearing about how audiences were getting pumped for the film after seeing the opening bank robbery in IMAX back in December/January--and that was with a scene consisting of solely of a William Fichtner cameo, a bunch of masked robbers, and Ledger's grand total of two lines.

And the midnight opening I went to was _insane_.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009

I enjoyed A Knights Tale but it was horribly historically inaccurate.

Yeah well. It was obviously deliberate. XD What with Queen playing at the opening tournament and all.

Wait one damn minute. You’re telling me that medieval peasants didn’t do the wave at jousting tournaments? I can’t believe that!

I KNOW! And I thought the dancing was so realistic too…

• CommentAuthorRocky

_District 9_

Best movie of the summer.

@ Rocky- I stand corrected. I didn’t pay much attention to TDK until everyone told me it was LIKE SUPER GOOD!

I didn’t see Batman Begins until after we bought IMAX tickets for TDK either.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I watched TDK wayyyy before I saw Batman Begins… I didn’t even like Batman before I saw TDK. I thought comic book characters were lame.

...I want to go back in time and smack myself around for that blasphemy now.

...I want to go back in time and smack myself around for that blasphemy now.

This is the most appropriate thing you could be feeling. Were you the one who asked for comic recommendations in another thread, or am I just mixed up? If so, I thought of a few after the fact and made a X( face for my failure.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009

I think she was.
    Did you look into All-Star Batman and Robin in the end? I would link you to an awesome recap/review, but it’s blocked on these school computers.

Is it the Longbox ones? Those were great. At any rate, I was also going to suggest the first run of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane and… NEXTWAVE.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009 edited

bq. I didn’t even like Batman before I saw TDK. I thought comic book characters were lame.

That's certainly not your fault. Both Marvel and DC's track records have been largely mediocre (Catwoman, Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider).

Edit: I'm referring to the films, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009 edited

@afro – yeah, that was me. So now I’ve read like a dozen TPBs (maybe just half a dozen… let’s see, Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Blind Justice, Hush, Arkham Asylum… and I think I’m missing one. Oh well.) and all of Gotham Knights. And some other stuff I can’t recall at the moment.

@Moldorm – no, not yet, despite the nefarious plotting of certain others to trick me into reading it unsuspectingly. I’m working my way up to it. Train wrecks are kind of fun to watch, you know?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009

I watched District 9 today. It was a new level of aweful. That’s two hours of my life I’ll never get back…

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009

bq. I watched District 9 today. It was a new level of aweful. That’s two hours of my life I’ll never get back…

Welcome to the insanely small minority.

^^Thank you. I feel welcomed. I take it you didn’t care for the movie either, Rocky? I don’t know why so many people like it so much.

I read the synopsis, and it didn’t sound all that interesting to me either. Then again, I’m not much into sci-fi. hides from irate sci-fi fans

I love sci-fi. This was a mockumentary (a fictional story made to look like a documentary). It looked so very good, and it was so very bad… and boring too. I wanted the aliens to kill all the humans.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009

Actually, no. I thought _District 9_ was, by far, the best film of the summer and one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in a long, long time.

^^Well, I’m glad you liked it. May I ask why?

I will say this: the effects were great, and I did like Christopher (wasn’t he the main alien?). I hated the main human though. He was an annoying jerk. Christopher should’ve killed him.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009 edited

No worries. I know what it's like (I'm trying to understand why everyone loves James Cameron to death).

To be blunt, I quite literally liked the whole thing. The three things I loved most were the fact that this was an original film (not a remake, reboot, reimagining, adaptation, or pointless sequel), it had powerfully emotive CGI characters, and it had a tangible, logical momentum to it--at least in my opinion. I think I liked the momentum best. There are other things, too, like this being Niell Blomkamp's first feature-length film, Sharlto Copley's first acting role _ever_, the cinematography, strong production values, good story, and realistic emotional context.

SPOILER

END SPOILER

He was an annoying jerk.

Well, that was sort of the point, no? He changes into a better more accepting person…Er… Alien, and self-discovery, etc? That’s how I see it. And I loved the film, by the way. Maybe the best I saw this summer. ;)

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009 edited

Oh, another thing. They took a huge risk. These days, a movie isn't typically greenlit unless it has bankable stars, bankable directors, bankable locations, etc.

And for only $30 million. That's barely double the budget of _Leon the Professional_.

Okay, Rocky, I do aplaud them for doing all the things that you mentioned. It was original, and they did take a risk. I liked the general idea; I just didn’t care for the execution of that idea.

@RVL
    Well, he was only accepting when he was going to get something out of it. I think there at the end it seemed like he only did what he did because he had nothing more to lose, so why not be a good person? I mean, maybe he did really change; I don’t know.
    SPOILER:

I will say this for the filmakers: I did become emotionally invested in the characters. I was really worried that

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009 edited

I think Wikus, by the end, did care.

But just to be clear, these are my thoughts. I'm just explaining why I enjoyed the film as much as I did. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Also:

I don’t expect everyone to agree with me.

Oh, I know. Don’t worry. I am always generally curious as to why people like things that I don’t. Most people don’t give straight answers, or they don’t seem to know. So I appreciate your actual explanation for why you liked it. I still think that the concept is quite interesting. And, sadly, that’s probably how we would treat aliens at this point in time. They would be the new “minority” for people to dump all over. Plus, we’d be scared of them, so that would make us even more hostile.

Did anyone else think this?

Um, well, I think that was sort of the point… At least, that’s the impression I got.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

Did anyone else think this?

Yes, I thought it was supposed to reinforce the whole “Humans Are Bastards” thing. Also, most of the main problems in the film are his fault.

>And for only $30 million. That’s barely double the budget of Leon the Professional.

And less than half the budget of Battlefield Earth.

Saw Zombieland today and enjoyed it thoroughly. It cemented my nerdcrush on Emma Stone.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009

That looks really good.

I was going to see it today, but it’s drizzling outside.

I was going to see it today, but it’s drizzling outside.

All the more reason to take shelter inside a dry movie theater.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009

bq. Saw Zombieland today and enjoyed it thoroughly.

After seeing _Trans-Siberian_, I couldn't believe that was Woody Harrelson.

To be honest, I’ve never seen the manga, but what is this “new Astro Boy movie?”

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009 edited

The Fall. Go watch it. It was amazing.

To be honest, I’ve never seen the manga, but what is this “new Astro Boy movie?”

Some scientist called Dr. Tenma loses his son, so he builds a robot in his image. Due to the fact that he’s just a robot, he gets abandoned by Tenma and eventually finds a career in crime-fighting.

But judging from the trailer, I’d say skip it and go read Urasawa’s Pluto. I’ve heard that supposed to be an extremely good take on the character.

Ah. I should have clarified. I was saying, “Wait wait wait, what?” as the movie looks very, very different.

go read Urasawa’s Pluto.

I’ll look it up.

I used to watch Astro Boy on Adult Swim during the wee hours. Shit was crazy. There was this one where they went to the moon and were eating the air, or something like that, I don’t even know. Made me question whether or not I had somehow used hallucinogens on accident.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009

I heard that an American person (Spielberg?) was making a live-action Ghost in the Shell film. It makes me worry that they’ll do something silly with it.

Okay, I saw Zombieland today. And it was really good, though I still like Shaun of the Dead better as far as zombie comedies go.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. It was funny and the nerd stereotypes were done well. I never want to look at food again. D:

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009 edited

Julie & Julia. Very funny, even though the only thing I fixated on was their quests for publishing. My sister, on the other hand, fixated on Stanley Tucci’s use of the F-word, so yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Zombieland.

Great, good gore, funny gags, great characters. Epic cameo too.

I agree with your hidden text 800% sir.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I would have to add 8 million to that agreement.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Mansfield Park. It was lovely. The BBC’s recent spurt of Austen/Dickens films have generally been quite lovely, I’ve found.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2009

Saw Zombieland. ‘Twas good. The amusment park scene was quite epic. I really want there to be a zombie apocalypse so I can kill some zombies.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009

You, me, and about half the population of the internet, Lord Snow.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009

Would a zombie apocalypse be better or worse than a raptor outbreak?

If by “better,” you mean “awesome,” (I doubt it) then I think a zombie apocalypse would be “better.” I think you mean “better” as in “easier for humanity” though, so I’d say that a raptor outbreak would be worse.

Tl;dr version: Better.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009 edited

You, me, and about half the population of the internet, Lord Snow.

Fixed.

I finished The Dark Knight today. First time I’d watched it since I actually started reading the comics. I don’t like it quite as much as before I started in on the comics… still a good movie, just I like the comics more. After seeing the awesomeness incarnate that is Real Batman, I just can’t respect Bale (Nolan?) Batman as much…

>(Nolan?)

Christian.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2009

Huh? I meant to the director… wasn’t sure if I should refer to that Batman as the actor’s version Batman or the director’s version of Batman.

Ah. Whatever the case, he’s certainly better than Clooney’s/Schumacher’s Batman.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009

Yes, but is he better than the Keaton/Burton Batman?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009 edited

Unfortunately, I’ve never seen the other Batman movie versions.

Which one had shark repellent? I have watched that part… lol.

That was the Adam West version.

>Yes, but is he better than the Keaton/Burton Batman?

Duh. Of course. The only good thing about the original movie was the scenery.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009 edited

Which one had Catwoman in it?

(hmm, now I feel left out. Maybe I should watch the old Batman movies after all… right after I’m done reading All-Star Batman and Robin and stabbing my eyes out with rusty hatpins)

Batman Returns had Catwoman and Penguin.

All-Star Batman and Robin

ASSBAR is the best comic ever, next to NEXTWAVE.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009

ASSBAR

Um, “All-Star (“The Goddamn”) Batman and Robin has but one “S”...

ASSBAR is still the proper acronym.

He doesn’t need two S’s, he’s the goddamn Batman.

I watched Twilight today. That is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen, and it amazed me how similar it was to Twilight The Musical. Even some of the facial expressions were similar, like Edward’s face when the fan is blowing.

I borrowed it from my cousin, so I didn’t have to pay for it or anything. I refuse to pay for Twilight-related objects. I borrow them instead.

You paid with your time, NP. You paid with your time.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009

You paid with your time.

Time you could have spent watching Princess Bride.

I haven’t watched it yet.

GASSSSSP! Watch it now! Rent it! It’s worth the dollar, I swear!

We were playing movie/band hangman in World History yesterday. I was ashamed that it took me much too long to guess ‘The Princess Bride’.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009

Or time that could have been spent stabbing yourself with rusty nails or running over your foot with a semi five hundred times or breaking down walls with your head.

(seriously, who’s the moron who didn’t check the acronym before they named All-Star Batman and Robin that?!)

Saw Where The Wild Things Are. The monsters were awesome.

It looks very nicely animated. Do you recommend seeing it, Marquis?