Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2015 edited

Attack on Titan trailer u guiz

I am legitimately shocked by how accurate the look is (setting aside the spotty CGI). The Titans look spot-on, from the creeeeepy smiles to even how they move. The maneuvering gear looks really accurate too. I figured they’d change all that, but they really didn’t. I guess we’ll see whether or not everything else is accurate.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015

Finally got the chance to watch Rise of the Guardians. I was surprised at how emotionally powerful/impactful it was. I found myself tearing up at quite a few places.

I think it’s because it cuts right to the core of what it means to be full of wonder, and for me that’s something I’ve been trying to recapture ever since I lost it as a child. The nostalgia is strong in this film.

I was especially surprised as it is a Dreamworks film, following in the line of works like Flushed Away and Madagascar and Over The Hedge. I thought the quality of storytelling was closer to what I’d expect from Disney/Pixar, up there with Wall-E and Up and Toy Story.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015

Rise of the Guardians really was underrated by people. It’s honestly my favorite Dreamworks movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015

I’ve watched it twice now, and had trouble controlling the waterworks both times. It really is a powerful movie with really well designed and well-voiced characters.

I also really liked the way they portrayed Jack as a Peter Pan-like (or Puck-like) wild child, and not at all like some of the not-so-friendly previous incarnations, where he has traditionally been cast as a villain, or as an old man like a kind of unfriendly, scowling Santa. It’s more close to the traditional image I remember from stories and fairytales, a little bit impish, a little bit rude, a bit of an urchin, but ultimately kind and caring at heart.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2015

Finally got around to watching Fury Road. I feel that the only real comment I can make is why did I not watch this before? All other car chases can pack up and go home, there is nothing left for you to contribute to the genre.

Also, FINALLY AN ACTION MOVIE WHERE WOMEN ARE NOT SEXY LAMPS FOR THE MALE PROTAGONIST TO RESCUE.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2015 edited

I watched Ant-Man a couple weeks ago. I really liked it.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2015

Saw Man From U.N.C.L.E. a few days ago. Good spy action with some nice comedy from how the two leads played off each other. I also liked that it embraced that it was set in the early 1960s, instead of trying to modernize the concept.

I also just saw American Ultra. It’s basically, “what if Jason Borne was a stoner?” and it works pretty well. And I think it demonstrates that Kristen Stewart isn’t a bad actor – she just needs the right part.

Hank Pym is the real Ant-Man in the comics, but they couldn’t have him be Ant-Man in the movie (and therefore the hero) is because in the comics Hank Pym is a wife-beater and an asshole.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2015

Well the movie did show that

Also, his movie version isn’t a jerk, even if he isn’t the hero.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2015 edited

So. Pan.

In short: Go see it. If only to see what child acting should look like. And also Murtagh in an Indiana Jones hat.

Just try to refrain from throwing popcorn at the plot.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015

And also Murtagh in an Indiana Jones hat.

Well I’m sold.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015

And a pirate coat.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2015

The Bourne movies are still great, by the way.

I always used to have a thing where I’d want to watch a movie and couldn’t decide on one, and somehow always ended up watching one of the Bourne movies again… yeah, did the same thing tonight. Tonight’s fare was Supremacy. I have no clue which of the three Matt Damon ones is my favorite (I’ve still never seen Legacy), but Supremacy is definitely a good movie. All of them are.

What are some other action movies that are like the Bourne movies, anyway? Maybe I should broaden my horizons.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015 edited

You might enjoy Gamer, if you haven’t seen it yet, Swenson. It’s King Leonidas as a criminal in a “hunger games” scenario, being puppet-controlled by a famous video game champion. If he/his player wins, he is free (and alive). Great action scenes, and a plot that goes much deeper than you might expect.

It also has

which is, just, awesome.

Like the Borne movies, how? I want to recommend John Wick, but that’s my default answer to anyone asking for an action movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015

Jack Reacher is also quite like Bourne in many ways, it’s a Tom Cruise thing where he’s an army cop/investigator, investigating a murder case that turns into a huge conspiracy theory, and also has one of the best fight scenes outside of a specifically fighting-based movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oh yeah, Jack Reacher! Watched that on a whim several months ago, I’d actually never even heard of it before but I saw it on Netflix and gave it a go. I liked it a lot.

I guess that’s the sort of movie I’m looking for… action, with mysteries/conspiracies, but fairly grounded, where the protagonist doesn’t have a lot of resources and has to survive just based on their skills.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I recommend the A-Team movie. While it occasionally edges into not-quite-realistic stuff, those moments (to me, at least) have a feel of “so stupid it has to work”, and are pretty awesome.

Also, American Ultra whenever that comes out on DVD. Basically, it’s “what if Jason Borne was a stoner?” Jesse Eisenberg in Zombieland-mode, and Kristen Stewart in the kind of role she’s suited for.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015 edited

Kristen Stewart in the kind of role she’s suited for.

You mean Cryogenically Frozen Bitchface?

It may not have much action, but The Fugitive is one of the better manhunt against-the-odds conspiracy-theory movies out there. Indiana Jones is a successful doctor, wrongfully imprisoned for killing his wife. Using his advanced medical skills and intellect he is able to escape and evade capture for long enough to uncover and expose the conspiracy cover-up that sent him to jail.

Enemy of The State is always worth another watch. Will Smith in a gritty government-surveillance dystopia where he has been declared persona non grata, and has to survive and clear his name while avoiding the cameras and gun-drones, etc.

I have also been told about John Wick, and The Raid (series, I think there’s like 3 of them), but I haven’t seen them so I can’t either confirm or deny their alleged similarity to Bourne.

John Wick is kind of similar, but it’s more of a revenge flick than a conspiracy one. Still one of my favorite action movies ever made, watch it if you want to see some sexy, gorgeous fight scenes.

Salt, Hanna, and Die Hard are the movies I’d recommend.

I’m so excited about Crimson Peak , you guys. I am so fucking excited.

I dunno, KStew has been in a couple of critically acclaimed movies lately, and she specifically has been critically acclaimed in them.

cf. The Clouds of Sils Maria

Tom Cruise is too short to be Jack Reacher.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015

Hey, she’s Zooey Deschanel – there’s exactly one type of character she’s good at playing. Anything else just feels wrong and awkward.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2015 edited

Took my sweet time, but finally got around to watching Interstellar. Not being a physicist of any description, I can’t speak to the science (other than “I’m pretty sure that last bit is not how black holes work”), but it was a thoroughly enjoyable movie!

Creed was REALLY good.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2015

Ha! Beautiful.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2015

STAR WARS.

No spoilers, but I don’t think I’ve ever fangasmed as hard and for so long. At least not since watching A New Hope as a wee lad.

OMG. OMGGGG

HNNNNNGGGGG

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2015

Just got back from seeing Star Wars.

First, it’s good. Like, actually, really good. If you’re even remotely interested in seeing it, do so. Possibly several times.

That said, I do have some thoughts (beware – minor spoilers):

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015

I’ve been watching DBZ movies lately, because idk why not, and I have to say, the newest ones are pretty good! Battle of Gods was definitely the superior movie to Resurrection of F, but both were definitely still quite enjoyable. For all the complaints about the end of RoF being a copout (which it kind of was), I honestly didn’t think it was that bad. It’s not like they didn’t set it up from the beginning (even if the MASSIVE red herring about how you expect it to end is annoying).

Minor spoilers, if anyone other than me actually cares about spoilers to Dragon Ball Z movies:

As for Battle of Gods, well, it was pretty darn good, although very silly at times in the beginning. I honestly don’t really have much in the way of complaints about it. I liked it a lot. I doubt either movie would make much sense to anybody who doesn’t know Dragon Ball, but for people who do, they were a lot of fun.

• CommentAuthorDave
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015 edited

Ya know, I feel like Apep’s comments summed up my exact thought . . . among other things:

Spoilers:

Basically, it was . . . okay, but it there was lots of lost potential in there for it to be something truly worth watching. In hindsight, I probably would have waited for it to come to Redbox and then watched it when I had nothing better to do.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

• CommentAuthorCrossfire

Well, can't keep myself away when we're talking about Star Wars. Especially a new chapter of it. Comments forthcoming (unless, of course, you guys would rather not hear them).
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

I take it you haven’t been reading the hidden text.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2015 edited

Crossfire, since it looks like you’re new:

a/ welcome to ImpishIdea!
    b/ Please hide spoilery comments underneath [ hide] [ /hide] tags (or click the “insert hidden text” button on top right of the text box).
    c/ If you wish to see other people’s spoilery comments, click the red (show) text in their post.
    d/ To use text markup (bold, italics, etc.) or add images or links, please refer to the FAQ thread stickied to the top of the discussions page that includes a breakdown of Textile markup codes.

@Apep:

• CommentAuthorCrossfire

Thanks for the welcome, TakuGifian.

So. The Force Awakens.

My gripes.

Praise time.

Joining in the Kylo Ren hate camp.

Over all the movie was better than I expected, but it still had the nostalgia bait I was expecting and the visual design was… really not my favorite.

• CommentAuthorDave

Well, after reading Willow and TakuGifian’s posts, I would be a dismissive boor if I said they did not raise a point. A point that my Mom and sister raised too (ironically enough, my Mom and Sister both detest science fiction with a passion and yet they were the ones who enjoyed it the most, go figure).

More under the hidey thing:

I will admit that it did a lot of things right and I will be happy to go see the next one. I just feel like that some things could have been done better.

On the bright side, it will never be anywhere nearly as terrible as the prequels were.

• CommentAuthorCrossfire
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2015 edited

$630 million domestically and $664 million foreign, bringing its worldwide total to roughly $1.3 billion. Not only has _The Force Awakens_ surpassed both Avengers films, it now sits as the fourth highest-grossing of all time. And it's only been out two weeks.

Also:

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2016

Has anyone seen The Good Dinosaur? Thoughts?

Here’s what I posted to my facebook, spoiler-free:

Mum and I went to see The Good Dinosaur today. verdict: far better than expected. And that’s saying something for the studio that produced the Toy Story series, Wall-E, and Up. There’s usually at least one really good tear-jerker moment in every Disney-Pixar film, but this one is just full of them. Very powerful storytelling, incredible computer animations (the water effects, unbelievable!) and flawless use of body language and expression to convey emotions without needing to spell it out with dialogue. Highly recommended.

And the Pixar Short before the movie was darling, an exploration of what it means to be a first-generation migrant child, torn between the wonders of he new world and the traditions of the old, but told in typically cutesy Pixar style. A fun and imaginative little anecdote based on the childhood experience of one of Pixar’s animators.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016 edited

:sad

(on a side note, I always forget we have these…)

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016

Yeah.

As someone on an Amazon forum said, can we just start 2016 over? It kinda sucks so far.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2016

Given that I’m addicted to just about anything produced by Rooster Teeth anyway, I ended up watching their (first, I guess) feature film, Lazer Team. I was pleasantly surprised! I can be hit or miss with comedies, especially if they rely too much on “dumb” humor. (you know, guys getting kicked in the balls and suchlike) But I genuinely enjoyed the whole thing!

Obviously I’m biased because I love Rooster Teeth, and the fact that many of the actors were familiar to me helped a lot, but I went into it thinking it would be an OK way to kill an hour and a half and that I probably would find it mildly funny but ultimately not very good. So the fact that I genuinely liked it a lot means something. It was hardly perfect—the effects were pretty dicey at times, there’s some plot holes (or at least questions) I noticed even while watching it, and some of the jokes did fall flat—but I found it both funny and engaging.

I’ve seen some people complaining about the number of Rooster Teeth references, but I honestly didn’t think there were all that many—there was like one or two lines that were direct reference (a Red vs. Blue line in particular that I noticed), and everything else was minor background stuff, like somebody dressed up as Ruby from RWBY and Kerry dressed up as a hobbit. I was sufficiently into the movie that I probably missed some of that sort of stuff, too. I dunno if non-RT fans would even notice the references in the first place, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016

Just discovered that ip man 3 is out.

Mike Tyson versus Donnie yen? Check. Muai Thai in an elevator? Check. Fuckin’ dual-wielded swords? check.

Downside is, because it’s Chinese lang with English subs, it’s only showing at like three cinemas in my state, and only twice a day. I’m going to see it Monday.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2016

I finally got around to watching Star Wars (yes, yes, I know I’m late). Don’t have a ton to add, other than… I might be reaching because I love KotOR so much, but it felt like there were some KotOR influences in there too.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2016

IP MAN 3 was AWESOME!

I was happy that t wasn’t “just” a kung fu movie, it was a sensitive and occasionally sappy biopic of a famous man who did kung fu. The fight scenes were brilliant, not because they were flashy or fantastical, but because they were grounded, realistic, and deeply rooted in the principles and techniques of wing chun, as compared to Ip Man 2, which was choreographed in part by a hung gar guy using wires and camera effects. If you’re not convinced yet, then I’ll mention that the action director in charge of fight choreography was none other than the legendary Yuen Woo-Ping, who has directed countless martial arts movies, including the bulk of Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen’s works, as well as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, The Grandmaster, The Matrix, Kill Bill, Drunken Master, Snake In Eagle’s Shadow, Once Upon a Time In China, and a long list of classics. His experience and knowledge of martial arts (as well as that of the actors) really shines.

But the story was so much more than the fight scenes, and you really get a sense of the deep sense of morality and responsibility Ip Man held because of his position and skills.

Anyway, if you love kung fu movies and also period dramas, you’ll really love Ip Man 3.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016

In a surprising turn of events, I saw two whole movies in theaters this week. The second was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It was fun, but hardly a classic. I read the book a few years ago so I was really confused about why I didn’t remember, like, any of the plot, but that’s because they changed quite a bit of it. It skimped a lot on the Pride and Prejudice side of things in favor of the zombie side of things, to the point that it kinda felt like they were just checking P&P plot points off. I feel that if you didn’t already know the story of Pride and Prejudice, you’d be somewhat confused about who everyone is and why they’re doing things, because they didn’t spend a lot of time setting things up. (in fairness, I was confused about why people were doing things even in the zombie parts, so apparently they were just plain bad at setting everything up, not just the P&P side of things)

I don’t regret seeing it (especially because my sister paid for my ticket :D), and I’d heartily recommend it once it ends up in Redbox if you’re looking for something not too serious, but again, not exactly a classic.

Oh, and as for the most important criteria of judging any Pride and Prejudice materials—Darcy wasn’t nearly attractive enough (and I think he stole Harry Dresden’s coat), but Bingley was pretty cute.

Also it got me to reread Pride and Prejudice over the weekend, so that’s a plus. I haven’t reread it since high school, and boy do I have a different perspective now. I had to keep stopping every few pages and be amazed by how similar people 200 years ago were to people now. Like Mr. Collins proposing to Elizabeth—I literally went through that in college (well, with being asked out, not being proposed to).

So I’ve seen Deadpool twice now and it’s pretty great

• CommentAuthorDave
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2016

The part with his newly grown hand had me and the roommates dying.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2016

Three times. Worth it for the opening credits sequence ALONE.

• CommentAuthorCrossfire
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2016 edited

The blu-ray release for The Force Awakens was announced recently, so I guess this deviation of topics is somewhat relevant.

I’ve come to a sad realization: I don’t like Episode 7. Having been a Star Wars fan most of my life, and a diehard fanboy into my late teens, it’s a weird thing to admit. But the problems I had after seeing it opening night have compounded. They’re inescapable and, as for my perspective on an entire numbered entry into the series, unforgivable. Because Episode 7 is entirely with imagination and creativity. Characterization and narrative are important, but so is the world encapsulating them. Think about any time you’ve seen an alien design or a spaceship and thought, “That looks like something from Star Wars.” That’s how important worldbuilding is to a Star Wars movie and JJ Abrams & Co. barely looked at the ball, much less dropped it. Rehashed X-Wings. Rehashed stormtroopers. Rehashed TIE Fighters. Rehashed star destroyers. Rehashed Death Star (in both practical and narrative function!). The sociopolitical scenario is exactly the same. The greater villain is a pale, spectral, throne-occupying figure and the lesser villain is one clearly designed to homage Darth Revan. There’s nothing about Jakku to differentiate it from Tatooine. There are no memorably-designed alien characters like Chewie, Yoda, Jabba the Hutt… even Jar Jar. And apart from BB-8, there’s nothing creative with any technological offering: starships, weapons, devices, even samples of civilization.

It’s far from the worst Star Wars movie, but it’s without doubt the least interesting. And I was really, really looking forward to it. Now… not so much.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016

Saw Batman vs Superman just now.

Overall: as superhero movies go, pretty good. The bits that weren’t Superhero, i.e. the regular people and regular technology in a regular world, was all really well done, realistic and consistent. The Superhero bits were also well done, good effects only very slightly overdone in the major scenes.

Probably definitely spoilers below:

And spoilers about the actors/characters:

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016

Taku, does Gimli feature in the new Batman v. Superman ?

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2016

Gimli? There’s a far-too-long glamour shot (Maybelline, but with L;‘Oreal hair) of Underwater Thorin, but no Gimli.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016

I finally saw Warcraft a few days ago. I give it a 3/5 – you probably won’t go away angry or disappointed, but there’s better fantasy movies out there.

I liked that there’s a lot stuff in there that’s straight from the games, which at least shows that the people who made it not only played the games, but enjoyed them. We need more of this type of person making movies based on video games, rather than people who have maybe looked at the box. And it’s not just a few lines, or the odd reference; the plot is essentially that of the first game, and characters generally look like they do in the games.

Unfortunately, that’s a bit of a double-edged sword. Designs that work well for sprites or stylized game avatars don’t quite translate well to live-action. So while the human armor might be accurate, it looks more like a bunch of people cosplaying, rather than wearing actual, functional armor.

But just because they generally got the look doesn’t mean they succeeded across the board. For some reason, the major orc characters that we have official artwork for look nothing like said artwork. Feel free to google the Warcraft characters “Blackhand,” “Gul’dan,” and “Orgrim Doomhammer” and compare the movie characters to the earlier artwork. And there’s literally no reason for these changes. The orcs are all motion-capture CGI – there’s literally no reason for these changes. I mean, they didn’t even get Orgrim’s hammer right.

The other major problem the movie has is a lack of breathing room. The movie is two hours long, yet there’s almost no real time for character development or any dialogue that’s not exposition. A lot of scenes just cut off, as if the movie is going “okay, on to the next plot point!” I’ve heard that about a half-hour of material got cut, but I feel like this kind of project really deserves more time than a feature film allows – maybe a miniseries would have been better, especially since most of the cast I recognized were from TV.

There’s also some weird, random deviations from the established lore, which I’ll hide for spoilers.

So, yeah. If you’re looking for something to watch on a night out, Warcraft would be a solid choice. But if you’re expecting something along the lines of Lord of the Rings (or are a major fan of the franchise), you’ll be disappointed.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016

One review of it I read said that the whole thing felt kind of like a setup for another movie, which may be why it felt so cramped—trying to pack in as many plot points as possible. What do you think?

I haven’t seen it yet and don’t plan to see it in theaters, but I might catch it once it’s on DVD. At least we’ve reached an age where videogame movies aren’t immediately dismissed out of hand!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016

Given how much time was spent establishing a baby orc who I’m pretty certain grows up to be Thrall from WarCraft 3 and WoW, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they were aiming to make an adaptation of the third game. But they still have a whole other game and its expansion pack to get through, so we’re probably in for at least one more movie that goes through the plot at a break-neck pace.

And honestly, if you really want to get the general plot while not having to pay to see the movie and getting a decent story and characters, just read the Let’s Play of the game over on the LP Archive.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016

Heh, I might, at that.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016

It’s good. I actually broke down and bought a membership and archives access on Something Awful to read the LP of the second game. Unfortunately, the LP of the expansion pack is only partly done, and hasn’t been updated in years, so it’ll never get added to the archive.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2016 edited

Tarzan! Anybody seen it yet? My thoughts once I’ve had some sleep.

ETA: impressions (some spoilers):

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2016

Update: Tarzan is somehow even better in an uncomfortable chair on a smaller cinema screen.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2016

Huh. I haven’t heard great things about it, but maybe I’ll give it a watch. If nothing else, I’d be supporting Alexander Skarsgård.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2016

Skarsgård’s Blue Steel is better than Zoolander’s. :yesh

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2016

Finding Dory was cute

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016

Kubo and the Two Strings. Go and see it. Really clever storytelling, memorable characters, and cliches that make sense within the story and don’t feel cliched.

I’m seconding Taku on this one. It’s freaking gorgeous.

The Little Prince is also a cute adaptation if you have Netflix.