Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013

And now I shall address your comments, Taku.

1. I don’t entirely agree. Yeah, it’s a bit skimpy in places, but it’s not like there’s long stretches of filler (unlike some movies I can think of).
    2. What do you want? He’s an uber-Nazi. If there’s one villain/group of villains allowed to be like that, it’s the Nazis.
    3. It’s not exactly like Mulan – they actually had to climb to the top of the pole. In this movie, it demonstrates that Steve Rogers thinks creatively – something I wished they demonstrated a bit more after his transformation.
    4a. Don’t blame the movie – that’s from the comics.
    4b. Well, what else is he going to do with the stuff? There’s not enough to make any kind of armor, and apparently it’s damn near impossible to make an alloy with the stuff. And assuming that Wakanda exists in the Marvel Movie-verse (not sure, Black Panther hasn’t shown up yet), there’s plenty more of the stuff out there – we just don’t have any.
    5. Yeah, they did a good job with casting there.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

4b. Off the top of my head, it’s a substance that reflects vibrations with unprecedented clarity or something, right? Why not experiment with/develop some kind of , I dunno, acoustic or sonar device? If it absorbs and dissipates vibrations (the movie wasn’t too clear), why not a sound-dampener or some kind of proto-gyroscopic stabilisation device to reduce bumpiness in emergency vehicles? There’s a ton of uses for a hyper-vibrational material, whether reflective or absorptive. But to waste it on a prototype shield?

I’m not against the idea of using it for a shield, it was the phrase “prototype” that got to me. Uber-rare substance, and you were just going to push it under the table and not get any use from it?

because it’s captain america and he has a vibranium shield

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, that one doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. For me it’s one of those “I accept this because without it the whole premise falls apart” things, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Kinda like Wolverine having adamantium bonded to his skeleton.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013 edited

Wolverine was part of an actual scientific experiment, not “let’s spend time and effort collecting this incredibly rare element, shaping it into a shield, and then push it under a table and half-heartedly prevent the person it was made for from actually using it when he accidentally sees it and disregards all the inferior designs we’re actually presenting to him”.

Just to be clear, I would be perfectly happy if they had presented the shield to him and said “here is a shield we designed for you. It is made from Vibranium, a rare metal that we only had enough of for this shield”, instead of shoving it under a table and then saying “nonono, that’s only a prototype.” If it was a prototype, why make it out of the extremely rare metal? If it was made for Cap, why hide it under the table?

• CommentAuthorRocky

Adamantium is actually a clever name. Plus, I find bits of Wolverine's origins work better as movie Wolverine was presented _in media res_ rather than as an origin story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Adamantium/adamantine has been used to describe super-strong metal decades (in the case of the Aenid, centuries) before Marvel Comics, though, so it’s got a firm historical basis in fiction.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Even aside from that, it doesn't sound as hokey as "vibranium" or as lazy as "unobtanium".

Chicago would be more accurately titled as Attention Whores: The Musical...but that aside, it was extremely well made. Definitely the best movie musical I’ve seen, by far.

• CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013

Loving the Spirited Away soundtrack… I need to relearn the piano scores, it’s been ages since I’ve played any.

Saw The Devil’s Carnival for the second time. I liked it more the second time I watched it. The first time I saw it I thought the pacing was too quick up until the end, but now that I’ve seen it again it feels just fine. The music has also really grown on me.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013

"Meanwhile, in Japan....":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBwsUD7jYCI
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013

Saw The Hobbit with my family. Now for my thoughts:

So yeah, go see it.

And now to discuss Tauriel.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but on principle I already am predisposed against Tauriel. Not because she’s female, because frankly who cares? But rather because it’s shoehorning in this whole separate character and story arc that wasn’t there at all to begin with. If you want a female character in the story, why not make the elf jailer and his/her drinking buddy female or something?

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013 edited

I was gonna go see American Hustle today, but it wasn’t showing at my preferred theater. Going to Hobbit 2: Even Hobbiter tomorrow then, I suppose. I don’t know what a Tauriel is so I guess I’ll be surprised.

Also in movie news, I’m hoping like hell the incredibly dopey-looking 47 Ronin doesn’t flop for purely selfish reasons.

I haven’t seen the movie, but I think they wanted a female character more important than just the jailer. Which is an admirable impulse, I guess. As long as you’re veering off from the book as much as the movies are, you might as well add some more female characters.

To be fair to Evangeline Lilly, she begged not to be put into a love triangle. It seems like she would have preferred to be Legolas’s drinking buddy, which would have been utterly amazing. I’ve been fairly forgiving of PJ thus far, but I’m rather pissed about him breaking the love triangle promise. It was such a good opportunity, and I don’t even know what happened. fumes If the fangirls really do despise the character, I’ll feel very sorry for the actress.

Anyway, according to my brother, who has seen the movie and loved it, it’s not a romantic plot tumor. He’s 14, so I guess he would be particularly sensitive to those.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2013

As long as you’re veering off from the book as much as the movies are, you might as well add some more female characters.

If they veered off any further, half the company of Dwarves would have been female.

Well, why not? It’s not as if the dwarves aren’t already fairly indistinguishable background characters, with the exception of Thorin and Balin. (Also that one with the awesome hat.)

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I think having 13 of them was always a weakness of the book, especially when their names are all so drearily similar. I read the book a hundred times at least, and I still confuse Balin, Bifur, Bombur and Bofur, for example. Or Oin, Gloin, Dori, Nori and Ori, for another. Fili and Kili always stood out because they had actual personalities (jazz hands!), but the rest of them — was it Bombur who was grotesquely obese, or Bofur? I only really remember the name Gloin because of Gimli “son of Gloin” in LOTR.

A smaller party, like with the four Fellowship hobbits, would have been better. As far as I recall, more than half of them don’t contribute anything meaningful to the story.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Anyway, according to my brother, who has seen the movie and loved it, it’s not a romantic plot tumor. He’s 14, so I guess he would be particularly sensitive to those.

Yeah, it’s not as obnoxious as it could be, but it still feels a bit out of place.

And yes, the number of dwarves is a major weakness. Personally, I can only remember about four of them having any definitive characteristics: Thorin (the leader), Fili and Kili (the young ones), and Bombur (the fat one). The other nine are more or less blank slates. The movies manage to make them all look unique, but I can’t for the life of me remember most of their names.

(Also, the movie does make reference to Gimli – Legolas finds a picture of him and his mom on Gloin while the elves are strip-searching the dwarves.)

Personally, I can only remember about four of them having any definitive characteristics: Thorin (the leader), Fili and Kili (the young ones), and Bombur (the fat one).

Balin serves as Thorin’s adviser and is usually Bilbo’s advocate, but other than that, you got it on the nose. But imagine the rage if they’d cut the number of dwarves to four or five. :P

(Also, the movie does make reference to Gimli – Legolas finds a picture of him and his mom on Gloin while the elves are strip-searching the dwarves.)

Ahahaha that’s great.

• CommentAuthorRocky

The BBC is reporting that Peter O'Toole has died.

Saw American Hustle this afternoon. Liked it.

Love Actually is a terrible movie.

I enjoyed Hobbit 2, but holy shit I thought the climax was awful and disappointing.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2013

bq. _Love Actually_ is a terrible movie.

It should be re-titled, then: _Love Actually Terrible_

holy shit I thought the climax was awful and disappointing.

The problem was that it went on for way too long. PJ is a discipline of the ‘More Is Better’ principle but in this, it definitely fell flat.

It should be re-titled, then: Love Actually Terrible

This would be an excellent new title. Alternate title: You’re Hot, Let’s Get Married.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2013

I feel like that title would work for a lot of movies.

The problem was that it went on for way too long. PJ is a discipline of the ‘More Is Better’ principle but in this, it definitely fell flat.

Correct. It had some cool individual pieces(I seriously loved the bit with the falling coins) but it got dragged out for so long and the actual conclusion basically rendered the whole overblown sequence pointless. It actually made me mad, because it could’ve been so much better if Jackson and co. could’ve exercised even a little bit of storytelling discipline.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2013 edited

Spoilers, guys. H2DoS doesn’t come out in Aus until the 26th.

Granted, given the 6+ false-finishes in LoTR:RoTK, it wouldn’t be unexpected.

^ That’s exactly it. They don’t have discipline.

I was also groaning theatrically (and apparently kind of audibly) during all the romantic sections, because they were just so horribly written. Which sucks, because now all the people who were against Tauriel just because she wasn’t in the book will have very good reasons for it. The whole time, I was thinking about how easy it would be to integrate her relatively seamlessly into the rest of the movie without the stupid love story. She could have actually added a lot about forcing the elves out into the world, but they just completely misused her.

I am almost tempted to write an article about how they should have used Tauriel.

I saw Frozen. It was ok.

Re: The Romance

He was more fun as a pissy jerk than a bland sculpture.

Hahahahaha totally yes. I have to say that he didn’t have that many Legolas Moments, but I did kind of snigger when he was so astonished at his nosebleed.

that guy was such a gaping asshole

What do you mean, Thranduil is fabulous.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2013

I saw The Hobbit and mostly liked it. I didn’t see the first movie, but read the book a long time ago so I’m vaguely aware of things they changed. Tauriel seemed okay, although she definitely added an element of predictability to the story (of course she’s going to come back to save the guy who got shot by the poison arrow!) It surprisingly didn’t feel that long to me except for everything that happens after Bilbo first sees Smaug. That could’ve been considerably cut down while still being cool.

What do you mean, Thranduil is fabulous.

Yeah, the character was great and fun to watch. He was just so openly FYGM in all his dealings that I couldn’t see any vaguely heroic character obeying him, though.

That could’ve been considerably cut down while still being cool.

God yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2013

I did kind of snigger when he was so astonished at his nosebleed.

When I saw that, I immediately thought “no one makes me bleed my own blood.”

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2013

When I saw that, I immediately thought “no one makes me bleed my own blood.”

SO DID I!!!!

Saw Catching Fire finally. It was too long but I saw it with a cute girl so that made it better.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2013

Saw Hobbit Two on its opening day.

The best thing about it was the Bilbo cosplayer in line at the ticket booth.

All in all, I was a little disappointed.

Also, did Thranduil remind anyone eerily of Jareth? They may as well have cast David Bowie in the role.

I never thought of this before, but YES. Although I wouldn’t replace Lee Pace, just insert David Bowie into the movie and watch the craziness unfold.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2013

OMG, what if Jareth had been the Goblin King in the Hobbit Part 1 instead of that jowlsy cgi neckflap thing?

OMG, what if Jareth had been the Goblin King in the Hobbit Part 1 instead of that jowlsy cgi neckflap thing?

Please make that fan-edit.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013

It would be a very short and abrupt trilogy if he were, I doubt the dwarves would have gotten out alive.

So, I saw the Hobbit to.

Yeah, I was expecting about a half-hour of love triangle from the way some of you were reacting. . .

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013

Planet B-Boy

The stories of the Japanese and Korean crew members were really touching, and they made up for an otherwise pretty mediocre “documentary.”

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2013

Saw the Hobbit.

Was it just me or did Orlando Bloom look funny though?

It’s probably because he was making facial expressions sometimes.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2014

Finally got to see _Thor: The Dark World_ the other night.

Quite enjoyed it, much better than the first, actually. I still maintain that Asgard is possibly the coolest sort of place you could live. And aside from a visually cool but fairly uninspired baddie, I felt this Thor outing had quite a bit of meat on the narrative bone.

Speaking of which.

bq. Aww, sorry Rocky. It could be worse. Marvel Thor looks like He-Man in the comics. Wait, looking here… I think he looks rugged.

I was actually quite pleased with how Thor looked in this one. Definitely rough and rugged. Didn't feel like I was watching Norse Soap Opera Thor.

I still wanted a Thor/Loki road movie. :P

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2014

"Mother! Loki doth invade my side!"

"Which one?"

"MY side!"

"No, which Loki?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014

I was actually quite pleased with how Thor looked in this one.

So was I, but possibly for different reasons.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2014

Just saw Walking With Dinosaurs.

Sadly, it was neither the cult Chuck Norris spectacular, Walker With Dinosaurs, nor the post-modern darling of the 2012 Sundance Festival, Christopher Walken With Dinosaurs

We were going to see Frozen, but the majority vote changed overnight.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2014

Just got back from _The Desolation of Smaug_.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014 edited

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014 edited

Just saw Walking With Dinosaurs.

WHYYYYYYY. I saw the original so much with my little brother (who was insanely obsessed with dinos for the first 10 years or so of his existence) and even though I hated it, this one looked even worse. :P

As for my brother, he got one look at the trailer and ran away screaming.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014

WHYYYYYYY. [...] As for my brother, he got one look at the trailer and ran away screaming.

As I said, we were going to see Frozen, but I was outvoted in absentia (when I was asleep) and the movie was changed.

The reason, ironically, was that my brother and mother didn’t feel comfortable watching a “children’s movie” without children with them.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2014

The reason, ironically, was that my brother and mother didn’t feel comfortable watching a “children’s movie” without children with them.

Frozen honestly wasn’t that much like a children’s movie. Honestly, I was really good, and from my ‘true love’ repulsion from the things I’ve been reading, it did a pretty good deconstruction of that business.

Has an hour long rant about assuming that just because something is animated it’s childish

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014

That movie “Endless Love” looks so bad I almost want to go see it.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014

At least the remake doesn’t have Tom Cruise in cutoff denim short shorts.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2014

At least the remake doesn’t have Tom Cruise in cutoff denim short shorts.

I did not need that mental image.

I saw Her today. It was strange and sad and I think pretty good? I haven’t slept in awhile so take my review with a grain of salt.

I saw Her yesterday, and I liked it as well. It’s a weird (and apparently unrealistic) premise, but I think Spike Jonze treats it pretty thoughtfully.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2014

Saw _Captain Phillips_ last night. Tom Hanks never ceases to amaze me and the Somali supporting cast were fantastic. The movie was taut and intense, and the ending was just a powerhouse clincher from Hanks. Highly recommends.
    • CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2014

"Batman vs. Superman' has found its Lex Luthor and Alfred.":http://batman-news.com/2014/01/31/jesse-eisenberg-lex-luthor-jeremy-irons-alfred-batman-vs-superman/.

I like their choice for Alfred, but Lex... that one has me hugely perplexed.

I bet Eisenberg kills it.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2014

He has demonstrated an ability to play a charming yet slightly sociopathic head of a major business.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2014 edited

Oh, I never doubted his acting chops, just his perceived age. However, in the time since I posted that, I've come around to their decision. A mortal with the twisted intellect to challenge Superman is going to be running his own corporation at a fairly young age.

That news threw me off guard, though. After seeing names like Bryan Cranston tossed into the mix, Eisenberg was almost shockingly unexpected.

Was Cranston seriously being considered, or were people speculating just because he’s spent the last half-decade playing an evil bald science man on TV?

Cranston is great, but I always thought that he looked a bit too old next to Cavill. I know that Superman’s not human, but I like the idea of them looking approximately the same age. Eisenberg is sufficiently unexpected, but actually not all that unexpected considering his role in Social Network.

The one thing I have to say for this movie is that the casting is interesting enough to make me want to watch, just out of curiosity.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014

bq. Was Cranston seriously being considered, or were people speculating just because he’s spent the last half-decade playing an evil bald science man on TV?

I don't remember if Warner Bros. ever made an official statement about him, but I imagine it was your latter option to the nth degree. Sort of like how everyone expected to see Johnny Depp play the Riddler.
    • CommentAuthorNossus

I am too drunk to embed this
    http://imgur.com/9cDlt1B

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

There you go Nossus, don’t say I never did you a favour.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014

"Philip Seymour Hoffman has died.":http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26009575

WHAT?!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2014

Thor 2 remains a great movie. Just thought I’d keep everyone updated.

The Robocop remake is everything wrong with the modern movie industry and modern science fiction.

That’s a bummer. The original owns.

Bitches, leave.

I’ll have a longer rant later, but I have work in a few minutes and I just needed to get that off my chest.

The original was a great movie. It had really fun action scenes and it had a few themes hidden in there. It was flat out hilarious.

This one decided that those themes were too subtle for the common masses and decided to rub your face in it by flat out mentioning them multiple times through the movie. This version had these evil, mustache twirlingCEOs who had no distinction between one another and did things because… because… because that’s what evil corporations do and it happened in the first movie. They took out any remaining subtly to highlight and point out any jokes or anything that happened just in case you were drooling in your bucket. They also decided that the first movie was too funny and removed any of the sillier portions so the main hero and his wife could angst about their situation. The worst part was they took all of the really fun, somewhat silly and over the top action scenes and replaced them with cover based gunfights. Boring, every day cover based gun fights. The kind that five year olds reenact in their living room.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2014

I was thinking about seeing that for Michael Keaton and Gary Oldman.
    •  
      CommentAuthororganiclead
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2014 edited

Harold Ramis died.

Edit: Words, they mean things.

• CommentAuthorDave
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2014

Words, they mean things.

That was my Platoon motto for awhile

That was my Platoon motto for awhile

There has to be a story behind this. Tell me there’s a story behind this.

Harold Ramis died.

That makes me legit sad.

• CommentAuthorDave
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2014 edited

There has to be a story behind this. Tell me there’s a story behind this.

Well organiclead, it went a little something like this:

Now, keep in mind that Yours Truly had just recently gotten back from OSUT. In my OSUT (Basic Training and AIT) a “Platoon” is around 50+ guys. In order to foster motivation and unit pride, our Drill Sergeant had us belt out a chosen word or phrase every time our Platoon was called to attention.

Once I graduated I went home and decided to do ROTC. So our instructor, who just happened to be an Infantry Officer and a complete hardass, decided he wanted us to have a motto every time we got called to attention. So, Yours Truly and his jackass roommates were all in the program and got put in charge of the motto. I wanted us to say something from Anchorman, but that got shot down. My roommates all decided that we would say, “Words mean things!”

We were all fairly drunk at that point in the evening and so we agreed that it was, as Ted would say, “Most excellent”.

Fast forward to the day we all get formed up and get called to attention. The guy up front comes to attention and goes:

“Company!”

The guy in charge of the “Platoons” go:

“Platoon!”

Guy up front goes:

“Attention.”

As one we all throw our heads back and sound off with:

WORDS MEAN THINGS!”

Then that same Infantry Officer I told you about looks at the guy who called us to attention and goes:

“Drop, that’s not the motto.”

And thus concludes the not-so-entertaining and rather pointless story of how the phrase, “Words mean things” was, for one shining moment, our program’s motto.

Still an amusing story worth a chuckle.

My brother Bean and I saw The Wind Rises tonight and it was a gorgeous film and y’all should see it.

I have a hankering to watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014

I finally got around to watching Pacific Rim. It’s exactly the kind of movie I like, so I’m not sure why I waited so long to see it.

At any rate, it was about what I hoped for. Almost entirely predictable and plot holes big enough to drive a Jaeger through even without me trying to find them, balanced out nicely by giant kaiju vs. mecha battles. Who cares about plot holes when you’re having that much fun?

I do have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the romance, though. It was subtle, it wasn’t a big part of the story, and it developed at a reasonable pace for people who’ve known each other for a very short period of time. (which is to say, they didn’t even kiss. In the age where it seems just about every movie has the hero and heroine meet twice, declare their love for each other and have sex (possibly in reverse order), and then they’re soulmates forever, I really appreciate a movie that takes a more… realistic approach.)

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2014 edited

Saw the prequel/interquel/sequel to 300, and it was pretty good. Not exactly thought-provoking or deep, but definitely smarter than the first one. There are a couple nice moments that actually go against the mentality of the first film. I figure it’s at least worth matinee price.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Is that the “Rise of An Empire” one? I hadn’t realised it was out yet.

Is it as full of impossible comic-book monsters as the first? You know, crab-men and zombie ninjas and so on?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Yes, and it just came out.

No, there’s not much in the way of weird stuff – this one’s focused on the naval battles, so not much room for all the craziness of the first movie. It does however have Eva Green as the psycho Persian naval commander, so there is that. She’s much more present than Xerxes was.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I still can’t decide whether or not I want to see that. On one hand, crazy action movie. On the other hand, crazy action movie, with crazy in the literal sense. There’s pros and cons there.

Ah well, I’ll probably watch it in like eight months and then be freaking out about it like it just came out the day before, rather like I am about Pacific Rim. :)

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014

I remember Zizix going on a huge tirade over the first movie back in the day.

Lego movie. lolz

Just got back from the Lego movie myself. Fucking owned yo.