Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2013

One of my least favourite things is when a studio changes something integral to the movie.

I haven’t seen the finale, I was in the middle of season two (three maybe, it’s around the time of the were-baby) and I started watching other things . . . Etc. I’ve got to get back to it though.

I would much rather they make a movie of The Messenger than The Book Thief if they’re going to adapt a Markus Zusak book. But The Book Thief won a Booker Prize or something. They would need to change the ending of The Messenger, because the ending is a critical flaw of that otherwise perfect book.

Were-baby is not yet born in S3, but they’re preparing for it. It has a large role in S4.

@Orlando
    I haven’t read The Messenger, but I would like too since I really liked The Book Thief.

The Messenger is probably easier to translate to screen as well.

Went to The World’s End this afternoon with my brother. Best movie I saw this summer by a landslide.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2013

Just saw City of Bones with a friend who essentially shipped SimonxIsabella.

Actually, while the movie was a trainwreck, it was an enjoyable trainwreck to watch. This isn’t to say that it was good it was just amusing. Also the scene right after Hodge got done telling Clary that All Myths Were True followed by Isabella telling Simon that there were no zombies along with Valentine saying to Jace that he’d heard that he liked to play music and then slamming his head against the keyboard were really, really satisfying.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2013

Valentine saying to Jace that he’d heard that he liked to play music and then slamming his head against the keyboard

Can we make this into a gif, a la Tyrion backhanding Joffrey?

^ Yup.

A Facebook friend sent me an article by Shannon Hale, exhorting people to see ‘Austenland’ and ‘City of Bones’ to support movies from female writers. I would love to support a quality film made by a woman (See In a World, you guys!) but City of Bones is definitely not something I would spend money on, ever.

I really want to see In a World but probably won’t get to until it’s on HBO or something, which kind of defeats that point. Never heard of Austenland.

Austenland is based on a book by Mrs Hale, which is in turn based on the works of Jane Austen. It is about a woman who goes to a resort in England where you get to play a Regency debutante. Its sequel is called Midnight in Austenland.

Mrs Hale is correct that cinema created by women (writers/directors/producers/cinematographers/editors*) should be supported. However, being created by women is, alas, not an essential criterion or guarantee of greatness. Women make bad movies too, and I’ve heard Austenland is one of them. On the other hand, the badness of a given movie by women is treated differently than the badness of a movie created by men. A bad movie made for, by and about men does not reflect on men as a gender in criticism or society. (Yet is criticism of art distinct from the society around the art itself? Criticism of film, for example, runs the gamut from Roger Ebert to the kindergartener who complains there was too much kissing, or who wants to be a superhero like Spiderman).

*For example, every movie directed by Martin Scorcese has been edited by Thelma Schoonmaker. I do not list actresses because most of the time women are portrayed as decorative in movies written, directed, produced, photographed, and edited by men. Douglas Sirk and Pedro Almodovar are two of few male directors who have made decent movies featuring female characters. Unfortunately, not all of the female characters in the movies have happy endings. One might even go so far as to say that Mr Almodovar’s attitude towards women is slightly sadistic, regardless of character depth or melodramatic patina. Melodrama is not carte blanche for character abuse.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2013

Oh hey, I think I read Austenland. Or at least a summary. It sounds very familiar.

A bad movie made for, by and about men does not reflect on men as a gender in criticism or society

Yup, and somehow people are still convinced that movies starring women won’t make money, despite the existence of the Twilight movies, The Hunger Games, Snow White and the Huntsman, etc. I’m not saying that these are good movies, but they paid the studio back. If Hollywood were really that money oriented, then they would show that interest.

(There are also movies like Sucker Punch, which were not very good and didn’t make money, and these are blamed for the general lack of female-starring action movies.)

There are also movies like Sucker Punch, which were not very good and didn’t make money

Also note that Sucker Punch, at least, was very obviously a guy movie for guys.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013 edited

Grabbed _Star Trek Into Darkness_ via digital download a few days ago. I have to give props to Abrams for his aerial/space combat, especially the chase on Qo'noS. On that basis (apart from the camera work), Episode VII is in good hands, methinks.

But I can't stand Orci and Kurtzman's writing. The more I see it onscreen, the more it annoys me.

*Spoilers*
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013 edited

I finally saw Spirited Away. Not sure why I never saw it before, it’s one of those movies you “should” watch.

At any rate, it’s… good. Very, very good. I can see why it’s considered such a classic. But that all being said, I have to say there’s some weird issues with it. Maybe some crucial bits were lost in the dub, maybe it’s just my unfamiliarity with Japanese mythology, but…

Don’t get me wrong, I still loved the movie and I see why it’s considered so good, I just really did not get why things happened in the plot.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013

Oh, ew, that’s true, didn’t think about that last part…

Anyway, that makes some sense. It was still a great movie, just I wasn’t entirely able to follow everything.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013 edited

_The Fugitive_ is an excellent movie. How can you not love Tommy Lee Jones chewing the Chicago scenery?
    • CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013 edited

I watched Richard II last night. It was great! Very well acted, especially by Ben Whishaw, who played the title character.
    It’s part of a series on PBS called ‘The Hollow Crown.’ They’re also doing Henry IV (parts 1 and 2), and Henry V.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013

Watched that last summer when it aired in the UK. Glad you liked it! I couldn’t stand Richard II; just grated on me too much.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

Watching Into the Wild in English class and I’ll be finishing the two hour long thing at home . . . it’s a beautiful movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2013 edited

Apparently plans for CIty of Ashes have been trashed. I’m a little upset that I don’t get more hammy goodness…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Aww, how tragic.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Inside Man is one movie that’s definitely on my favourites list. It’s unpredictable, and the robbery’s just brilliant. :D

• CommentTimeSep 27th 2013

Rush and Don Jon just came out. Really want to go see both of them. Anyone else heard any buzz?

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2013

I saw Henry the Fourth Part 1 last night.
    Tom Hiddleston made an excellent Prince Harry.
    I can’t wait to see the rest of these.

After watching the new trailer for The Hobbit, I have to say that Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug was pitch perfect. I hope they give him more screen time just because he’s so fun.

(Also, Lee Pace’s eyebrows are magnificent. As someone with pretty bushy eyebrows, I’m impressed.)

However, I’m disappointed that they’re including a love triangle for Tauriel. For the record, I was psyched that they were including her, even if she was ‘made-up’, because there’s absolutely no reason that one or two of the guard elves shouldn’t be female. In fact, having a cool, professional guard elf lady would be cool, in my opinion. Adding a love triangle just because she, as a woman, happens to be there, is cheap, and just distracts from Bilbo’s journey.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013

bq. I have to say that Benedict Cumberbatch as Smaug was _pitch_ perfect.'

I have to second that. I'm really pumped to see Smaug in the full film.

Apparently they’re rebooting Fantastic Four, which would normally be who really gives a fuck, but some of the casting rumors have made it a lot more interesting. They’re apparently testing Kit Harrington(aka Jon Snow) as Reed Richards, which could maybe be interesting, but more importantly…

Michael B. Jordan is the only guy they’ve asked to test for Johnny Storm. That would own so hard audiences would probably go blind.

There’s Wallace, String. There the boy at. Flying around on fire.

• CommentTimeOct 11th 2013

....ohmygodthatsoundsfuckingawesome. Who could they cast as Sue Storm, then?

Now that’s where it gets weird, because the actresses whose names have come up(Saoirse Ronan and Kate Mara) are very definitely white ladies. If Michael B. Jordan ends up as the Torch, the movie would have to do some narrative hoop-jumping to explain it.

Neither of those seem like a good fit. Kerry Washington is a hint too old (and too busy with tv)...

That was the first name I heard thrown around by random internet commentators, but yeah, if they’re doing a youth movement that kind of rules her out at 36.

And holy shit while googling her to find out her age I learned that she’s married to Nnamdi Asomugha. How did I not know that.

Hm… what about the lady from Sleepy Hollow? She seems awesome.

If they are dipping into the TV actress pool I want to see them cast Jurnee Smollett-Bell just for the weird subtext.

^^Both Jenee Smollett-Bell and Michael B. Jordan have been on Parenthood, which is interesting.

...What would the weird subtext be?

They were both on Friday Night Lights first, and their characters were romantically involved with one another.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2013

bq. Michael B. Jordan is the only guy they’ve asked to test for Johnny Storm. That would own so hard audiences would probably go blind.

Must be better on-camera than off. Never seen a thing the guy's been in, but every time I read something about him, especially when he's been quoted, it's caked with ego.

Do you have any examples of that at hand? I’ve never read or heard anything like that from him, to the point I think you may have him confused with the basketball player.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I don't know if I'd be able to find the article in question, but it had to do with speculation about his involvement in the aforementioned reboot and the question of his ethnicity. If I remember right, he talked up something to the effect of how Johnny Storm was all kinds of charismatic and that was the main reason _he_ should have a shot at the role. It's possible I misread or misinterpreted, but I remember that sort of self-confidence coming across loud and clear.

And that was from a text source, not an audible comment. I'll have to find it.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2013 edited

I don’t know if I’d be able to find the article in question, but it had to do with speculation about his involvement in the aforementioned reboot and the question of his ethnicity. If I remember right, he talked up something to the effect of how Johnny Storm was all kinds of charismatic and that was the main reason he should have a shot at the role. It’s possible I misread or misinterpreted, but I remember that sort of self-confidence coming across loud and clear.

Here, I found it based on that.

“Things change and time goes on, it’s 2013 right now,” Jordan says of the Torch talk. “The characteristics of the Human Torch are his name is Johnny Storm, he’s charismatic, and he’s a playboy. That’s it. You know what I’m saying? That’s all there is.”

I guess you can read it as him implying that he’s charismatic enough to do the role right(and I’d agree with him even if that’s what he meant to imply), but in context he’s saying that there’s no particular character trait of Johnny Storm that requires he be white.

And goddamn, that quote came out in May. I’m so far behind on this whole thing.

Idris Elba

Idris Elba owns and should get to play any role he wants in anything. I hope he is the next James Bond.

The Wire actors taking over Marvel.

Idris Elba owns and should get to play any role he wants in anything. I hope he is the next James Bond.

YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES. I WOULD WATCH THE SHIT OUT OF THAT MOVIE.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. And they have a random Japanese guy, so why not a random black guy?

See, the thing I most have a problem with is how unaltered Marvel's Thor material is from its source mythology. It's one thing to draw inspiration and then reshape, manipulate, and change. But, even with the explanation that the extraterrestrial race visited Earth ages ago and became worshiped by humans as gods, as a writer, it just smacks me as lazy (no offense to Stan Lee) that they would change so little and just run with that. Had they been more creative with the material, no one would have had an issue with the casting of a random Japanese guy or a random black guy, because they wouldn't have been seen as filling such identifiably Norse shoes.

bq. I guess you can read it as him implying that he’s charismatic enough to do the role right(and I’d agree with him even if that’s what he meant to imply), but in context he’s saying that there’s no particular character trait of Johnny Storm that requires he be white.

I was wondering, as I typed up my response, if I'd remembered that quote accurately, but he'd mentioned it somewhat sarcastically, similar to what Robert Downey, Jr. had said about _The Dark Knight_. At the same time, it still bugs me because it also doesn't sound like there's any sort of reason behind a change in ethnicity. If Jordan turns out to be the best candidate for the role, great. But if they cast him because they want a black actor in the role just because that's the hip 21st century thing to do, then I have an issue with that.

bq. Idris Elba owns and should get to play any role he wants in anything. I hope he is the next James Bond.

There are a lot of people who would like to see him play John Stewart. I happen to be one of those.

If Jordan turns out to be the best candidate for the role, great. But if they cast him because they want a black actor in the role just because that’s the hip 21st century thing to do, then I have an issue with that.

I just can’t see anybody casting a black actor in a previously white role for cynical reasons unless it’s one of the Certified Box Office Draw type guys like Will Smith or Denzel or Sam Jackson. The film industry is as risk-averse as it gets. If Jordan gets the part, it’ll probably be because he’s friends with the director and because he can do the part right. If he doesn’t get it for whatever reason, I’d expect them to go back to a white Torch.

And if it wasn’t clear I think he’d be excellent for it. He’s got a naturally likeable presence onscreen, which seems key for Johnny Storm. If the viewer doesn’t like him, he’ll just come across as a smug asshole instead of a loveable rascal.

There are a lot of people who would like to see him play John Stewart. I happen to be one of those.

I do not care remotely about Green Lantern as a property and I’d watch the shit out of him playing that role. His American accent is good enough for it. I didn’t even know he was British until I started looking for other stuff he’d been in.

Apparently Charlie Hunnam dropped out of 50 Shades. sansafro and any other SoA fans may now rejoice.

• CommentTimeOct 12th 2013 edited

Pacific Rim fans are also very relieved.

RUN, RALEIGH. RUN AWAY!

Now, if only Jennifer Ehle would run for the hills…

Jennifer Ehle is in it? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• CommentAuthorRocky

Thank. Heaven.

I'd never seen any of Hunnam's work until _Pacific Rim_. Like Christian Bale in _Reign of Fire_, I took an instant liking to him. Very glad he dropped out. Dude's just way too cool for that trash.

Apparently Charlie Hunnam dropped out of 50 Shades. sansafro and any other SoA fans may now rejoice.

I actually don’t watch SoA anymore because it made me mad, but Hunnam is still pretty cool and I’m glad he got out of it. He’s come a long way from the twerp he played on Undeclared, and I imagine he still has a ways yet he’d like to go. 50 Shades is unlikely to help him get there.

Now, if only Jennifer Ehle would run for the hills…

Eh, it’s a paycheck. Just doing a supporting role doesn’t open up actors to near as much risk if the movie bombs, whereas it can sink a prospective lead actor’s career pretty easily.

Valid point, I just think she’s too good for this dreck… but yeah, paychecks are nice.

I saw Gravity yesterday. Despite a few cinematography pet peeves, it was a pretty effective thriller/horror film. It didn’t really bother me, but my currently visiting boyfriend was hit hard by the emotions it stirs up.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013 edited

I'm immensely impressed with Guillermo del Toro's cinematic insight. Listening to his commentary on Pacific Rim, I've never heard anyone talk about "eye candy" vs. "eye protein".

Edit: this commentary is _fantastic_. Basically a film analysis crash course.
    • CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2013

Just watched Branagh’s Henry the Fifth.
    Awesome.

OH MY GOD YES. YES. YES.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2013 edited

I'm probably the only one who doesn't care for Johannson as Black Widow. Other than that, I'd say it looks pretty good, possibly better than the latest Thor outing. Anthony Mackie looks awesome, too. And Marvel seems to be rather good at getting some solid veteran actors in their movies, such as here with Redford.

Everytime I think of the Avengers, I think “Man, I sure do love Thor” and then Captain America comes on and I’m like “Never mind; Cap’s the man!”

• CommentTimeOct 25th 2013 edited

See, my usual response to any Avenger is OH. SO AND SO!

“Something something Hawkeye”

“HAWKEYE!!!!”

“Blah Blah Johannsson”

BLACK WIDOW!!!!!”

Etc. I really couldn’t pick a favorite, though Banner somehow ends up on the bottom of the pile. But… omg Ruffalo is awesome as Banner nvm THEY ARE ALL AMAZING. I would maim for a Ruffalo Hulk movie, or for a movie about Black Widow, or Hawkeye. HOW ABOUT A MOVIE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN BUDAPEST, DAMMIT.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that The Avengers is my all time favorite movie.

Fact: Banner owns and was the best part of that movie.

• CommentTimeOct 25th 2013

“I’m sorry, that was mean”

“Puny god.”

BOOM!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

He was pretty great. The “I’m sorry, that was mean.” is just the perfect introduction to him.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Man, I sure do love Thor.

Nothing against Hemsworth, but I'm not a fan of on-screen Thor. He's just too pretty and too smooth-skinned for me. I was expecting a seriously angry dude with a face half-hidden behind thick red locks and a long, braided beard. "Something more like this":http://wallpoper.com/images/00/32/45/00/paper-vikings_00324500.png.

Aww, sorry Rocky. It could be worse. Marvel Thor looks like He-Man in the comics.

Wait, looking here… I think he looks rugged.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Well, see, that's the thing: it's taken them three movies to get to that point. And I'd still like to see a longer, thicker beard. Alas, I don't call the shots at Marvel. And probably for the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

I know how you feel, Rocky. Just remember that this is Marvel-Thor, not Norse Myth-Thor.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2013 edited

Yeah... _that's_ a rant for another time.

Eh, there are rugged, beat up moments in each movie Thor’s in. shrug As for Marvel-Thor, Marvel wanted something Superman-ish, and decided to rip off of Norse mythology. To be honest, that probably ended up introducing some people to Norse mythology, so yay.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013 edited

Just watched The Man With The Iron Fists.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2013

Anyone seen that new Thor clip?

Saw Ender’s Game today and enjoyed it. Never read the book but knew the ending from nerd osmosis. It was nice to watch a movie like that that didn’t finish with the obligatory 45 minute overextended action climax that inevitably collapses under its own weight.

More importantly, one of the trailers before it was for a movie that is apparently called I, Frankenstein which at first I thought was a hilarious fake trailer making fun of dumb fantasy-action-using-public-domain-characters bullshit, but nope, turns out it’s a real movie.

A real movie about a sexy Frankenstein dual-wielding swords and fighting gargoyles or something, starring Aaron Eckhart.

why

^ Hahahaha I saw that trailer awhile ago and had the same reaction.

As for Ender’s Game, I’m too lazy to hike all the way to the movie theater to see it. I’ll wait for it to come out on HBOGo.

Twitch

One week until Thor: The Dark World.

Twitch

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2013

One week until Thor: The Dark World.

The wait is killing me.

To my endless amusement, my mom is pretty excited too. She likes Thor/Chris Hemsworth.

I’m gonna see Ender’s Game at some point within the next few weeks. I’ve waited forever for this movie, so I hope it lives up to expectations.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2013

bq. One week until _Thor: The Dark World_.

The score is fantastic.

Motherfucking Ghostbusters is on streaming Netflix. Aw yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2013

Saw Thor: The Dark World. Very awesome. Much heavier on the space opera/sci-fi fantasy mix (dark elf stuff, Asgardian tech, etc).

Also, saw the trailers for Robocop and the next Hobbit movie. Hobbit looks awesome (holy crap, Cumberbatch sounds great), and I’m interested to see more about Robocop.

THOR IN UNDER 3 HOURS YES GIMME THE THING

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2013

Eeee, me too. :3

• CommentTimeNov 9th 2013 edited

IT WAS GOOD. So good. I liked the action/humor/angst blend, and the movie just zipped by. I think they could have kept some of the Malekith scenes that got cut.

Spoilers in hidden

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2013

I agree, it was very good. :D

Just got back from it, thought it was pretty okay.

• CommentTimeNov 9th 2013 edited

Side note, I’m rereading King Lear and it’s hilarious how similar Loki is to Edmund in the first movie. I guess that’s what Hiddleston meant when he said that he was inspired by Shakespeare.

As for this one, I’d like to see it (because Loki) but I don’t know if I’d actually pay money.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2013

Re: Jane’s role:

• CommentTimeNov 10th 2013 edited

I’ve seen Thor 2 three times now.* Rocky, you were right. The soundtrack is AMAZING.

*Once on a date, once with mom, once with friend.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2013

bq. Rocky, you were right. The soundtrack is AMAZING.

What's funny is, I'm not a huge Marvel fan. I find them entertaining fare, but nothing much beyond that. Same kind of goes for their music. But the score for _The Dark World_ has, in a weird way, actually legitimized the Marvel cinematic universe to one degree or another. Thing is, Brian Tyler's in his element when he can step outside his boundaries instrumentally (as he did with his score for AC4, which I also recommend) and when he tackles a fantastical, large-than-life yarn, as in Thor.

He also composed the fanfare for the Marvel Studios logo that you'll be seeing in front of every Marvel release henceforth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Willow

@Sansa

Re: soundtrack: I have to admit I paid very little attention to the soundtrack. If I see it again (highly unlikely, I’ve actually never gone to see a movie twice in theaters… not even Avengers and I loved that movie), I’ll have to pay more attention to it. And/or listen to the music when somebody puts it up on Youtube buy the soundtrack on iTunes.

• CommentAuthorRocky

The music is already up on Youtube. Give it a listen.

Just read a hilarious comment about Thor’s reaction to his romance subplot…

THOR WAS THE PINING DAMSEL, OKAY? HE WAS THE ONE DROOPING AROUND ASGARD, WEEPING INTO HIS ICE CREAM. EVERYBODY WAS TELLING THAT DUDE TO GET OVER JANE AND HAVE SOME FUN. MEET SOMEONE NEW. BUT THOR JUST PINED. LIKE A PUPPY. HE JUST NEEDED SOME SNOW PATROL AND A SNUGGY. THOUGH, I THINK MJOLNIR COUNTS AS THE SNUGGY.

I can’t stop laughing.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

lol, it’s not entirely inaccurate.

“...so who’s Richard?”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2013

@Rocky – I’m listening to the soundtrack right now, and you’re right—this is a lovely soundtrack! Very easy to listen to.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2013 edited

Thinking about it, Tyler's never had much of an issue with accessible music. Sadly, he can be a bit hit or miss. Avoid his scores from the action-heavy stuff and look for his more fantastical. I'd still consider _Children of Dune_ his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2013

In honor of how much I loved Thor 2, I’m rewatching Thor. Oh, Loki. You and your machinations.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2013 edited

I saw Hunger Games 2 this morning. I didn’t really enjoy it that much, but I liked it better than the first one.

It looked somewhere between a million and a billion times better, not least because they didn’t shoot the whole damn thing in shaky-cam again. Being able to see what the hell is happening is so much better and more engaging than what amounts to a visual shell game.

Also,the secondary characters were more interesting this time and didn’t come across as dull stock characters like the previous competitors, and Woody Harrelson was still the best one.

Too bad they couldn’t change the characters’ names, though. They’re still almost universally dumb and suck me way the fuck out of the movie. Also dumb was President Donald Sutherland, who was a big dumb dumby. Also also dumb was the love triangle stuff. It was flimsy and pointless and it would have been a better movie if they had just taken that shit out.

The worst part though was the Katniss character. Jennifer Lawrence owns bones but she didn’t have much to work with. There’s lines in the movie joking about how there’s not much more to her than having a bow and being stubborn, but it was actually true, or at least half of it was. She does have a bow obviously, but I wouldn’t describe her as stubborn at all. Most of the time it seems like she just does what she’s told with a dour look on her face. I just couldn’t invest in the character at all.

e: also the last shot of the movie hahaha holy shit

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013 edited

Finally got to see Captain America. Old news, so what, it was new to me.

1. There was not enough movie for two solid hours.
    2. The villain was far too cardboard for my tastes. ‘Evil for the sake of evil’ is just so boring and predictable. I want a villain with some depth, some psychology, a motive, at least.
    3. Did they steal a scene from Mulan, or is the flagpole thing just coincidental?
    4a. “Vibranium”, really? That’s even less creative than Unobtanium.
    4b. Stark Sr, you IDIOT. Why the hell would you waste the entire and only known supply of an incredibly useful substance on a “prototype” that you didn’t want Cap to even look at?
    5. How the hell did they find a Stark Sr. who looks so much like RDJ? Damn he fine in them 40s clothes.