Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009

Mmkay, maybe I remember him a bit. He should’ve stuck around. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah he should. I’m already planning my NaNoWriMo. Hopefully I’ll be much better equipped with a story designed to handle 50,000 words.

Although today’s the last day of JulNo, after I finish my trig homework, I have to dive into the last day of writing. Will post as soon as the victory exhiliration sets in.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

How far have you gotten?

Well, when I stop procrastinating and write the 1,500 words or so I have left, I’ll hit 50,000.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Nice.

And I did. Yay!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009

Congrats, queen! I only finished last year because 90% of the novel was crap. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Congrats.

Well, I’m kind of in the same situation, and I haven’t even finished. When I do and cut out all the stuff that isn’t crap, I’ll probably have 25,000 words or less.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Saw The Ugly Truth today, but I walked out early, because the sexist “humor” of Gerard Butler’s character got on my nerves.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Well, I’m kind of in the same situation, and I haven’t even finished. When I do and cut out all the stuff that isn’t crap, I’ll probably have 25,000 words or less.

That’s ok. I don’t think most people after editing their NaNo’s kept the 50k mark, unless they went up to 100k+.

Ok, just came back from seeing HP6. Visually, it was very nice- the dark color palette was very evocative of the general mood of the movie, and it was a pleasure to watch. Plotwise, it wasn’t as satisfactory. The humor was nice, but there was no climax, no cinching part of the film, and the part where Harry discovers that Snape is a ‘traitor’ was very unsatisfying. There was no tangible emotion or anger that I couldn’t really get into the scene. It just sort of fizzles out, if you know what I mean.

However, for the most part, I did enjoy it, even though I think they could have elaborated more on the importance of the Half-Blood Prince.

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited

Yea I also didn't think that the half-blood prince and his potions book really played a large enough part in the movie to really earn it the title "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince".

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Also I hated all the Harry and Ginny parts because it seemed to unnatural. WHO THE HELL TIES SOMEONE'S SHOELACE FOR PETE'S SAKE!?!? And after they randomly kiss she vanishes and isn't seen in the movie ever again. There should've been some short scenes of them doing boyfriend girlfriend stuff. And while they did mention that Ron was ok with it, I would've liked to see them kissing in front of him like in the book and him giving them the ok there.

Hermione's entire reason for being in the film was to crush on Ron, virtually turning her into another Bella, though not as crazy, obsessive and dumb as f*ck.

The attack on the Burrow was completely random and accomplished nothing and the action wasn't that great. That action should've just gone to where it was meant to go with everyone fighting the Death Eaters while Harry chased Snape.

And lastly, I think the film needed a few tiny things that would've taken a second to include to add more continuity. Harry using the bezoar instead of an antidote needed to be there to explain why the bezoar was in Slughorn's office when Ron got poisoned, Hagrid needed to have asked Harry to attend Aragog's funeral before it randomly happened out of nowhere, and probably other stuff I can't remember.

But despite all that, it probably was the best Potter so far and was reasonably close to the source material.
    I saw Star Trek in IMAX today. It was awesome.

I saw Star Trek and cried.

For good or bad reasons?

It was horrifying.

Really? I liked the movie. That might be because I haven't watched Star Trek since preschool...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009

Gone Baby Gone. Now I want to watch it again.

I saw Harry Potter 6 last week.

Spoilers:

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

You can’t have everything.

•  
      CommentAuthorSMARTALIENQT
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009 edited

I know. What made me mad was that right before the fire scene, I was thinking “I actually like this. It’s pretty close to the books, I suppose, better than 3 or 4. Wow, how refreshing.”

@ SMARTALIEN: OH MY GOD, I thought the Inferi looked like Gollums too!!! And then my brother leaned across and whispered to me ‘Hey, it’s lots and lots of Gollums!’.

Yeah, I was really hoping for a zombie attack. : \

@SWQ

I looked at my sister in the movie theater, and we both said “Gollum?“ Then there’s this article in the New Yorker.

Ctrl+F, or CommandF, the word “Gollums.”

Am I the only person who read the books and loved HP6? It feels like that sometimes...
    •  

I like the movie, and I’ve read the books. I just think that Alfonso Cuarón set the stage for fail, allowing Mike Newell to try and top Alfonso’s fail… and he failed at that.

Yes, the 3rd and 4th movies are the low points in the chain of movies. What possessed them to have the students wear Muggle clothes?! AT SCHOOL?!

On another note, I saw the 2004 version of POTO on Youtube. Loved that tremendously. I kept wanting to skip ahead, since I’d already seen some of the songs, but I just couldn’t stop listening. Oh, and whatever he is now, Gerard Bulter was sexy in 2004.

....I thought the third was the best...

Why?

I don't know, it just had such a different feel from the first two. It was dark and whimsical and... I just love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I thought the use of more regular school uniforms rather than the Hogwarts robes and hats in the third/fourth movies was odd.

The zombie Gollums in the sixth were a bit confusing, too. And I was annoyed that they left out Snape’s DATDA class, which I was looking forward to seeing.

•  

But… the costume design… and the casting… and the freaky skinny werewolves...

EDIT:

And I was annoyed that they left out Snape’s DATDA class, which I was looking forward to.

They did, didn’t they? I’d forgotten. And that’s a really important part of the book, because it shows how Harry is like Snape, setting up the punch behind the “Half-Blood Prince” reveal.

I know, I thought the werewolves were strange looking... But I can't help it. HBP and PoA are my favorites.

OK. I respect that. My personal favorite is OotP, not because of the plot, but because of the brilliant way David Yates kept continuity with the 3rd and 4th movies while fixing some errors and picking the perfect Umbridge.

Imelda Staunton was fantastic. I also respect your opinion about PoA. It's good to hear some praise for OotP, because I hear nothing but hate for that movie from my friends.

Why? It’s true they messed some things up, but no more than the other movies. And I agree that only using blue and yellow as your palette looks a little weird, especially when other characters where warm colors, like red. But why?

I don't know, my friends always say it was "boring" or unfaithful to the book. I thought it was really good though.

No, it wasn’t boring, whatever else it was. I’d give it a B or a B+.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I think a B+ is reasonable for HP6.

That’s what Yahoo!Movies gave it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I am getting rather impatient for the release of Inglourious Basterds.

I saw Star Trek in IMAX today. It was awesome.

I liked it too.

I am getting rather impatient for the release of Inglourious Basterds.

Is that the new Quinton Terrentino (no idea how it’s spelled) movie with Brad Pitt?

And about Harry Potter, I disagree with the 3rd and 4th movies being the low points. I liked both of them. I wondered about the muggle clothes too, but it didn’t really bother me. I think the 5th one was the low point. I liked the 6th one, but not the fire part. That was unnecessary. I don’t know what they left out because I can’t remember. I do think that they should’ve spent more time on the half-blood prince aspect.

Tarantino.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Yep, and it looks awesome.

Tarantino.

Thanks.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Inglorious Basterds looks great.

I watched the preview, and I think I want to see Moon. Who were the people who have seen it again? And you liked it, right? I’m to lazy to scroll up and look.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Jeni is fangasming over it.

Lol.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009

HEY.

So is Dr. A.

It’s awesome.

It’s amazing.

It’s brilliant.

It’s fabulicious.

Sam Rockwell is run out of adjectives to put in italics.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Hehe.

Hee hee. :D

Just watched Swing Kids. Anyone else watched it? I think it was amazing and Robert Sean Leonard was hott. Or, as Jeni would say, fabulicious. ;)

Sam Rockwell is run out of adjectives to put in italics.

It’s time to pull out the Smeyer’s bestest buddy: the thesaurus

What is it about really? I read the description on the YouTube video, but is it like the affects of being alone on the moon, or that things are not as they appear?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

All of that and more.

Argh, I don’t want to spoil you. D:

Okay, fine. =( I’ll just have to watch it, but I’m waiting ‘til it comes out on DVD. I don’t think it’s playing where I live anyway. I haven’t seen it advertised.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Terminator: Salvation, Taken, Valkyrie, Defiance, and Push.

Defiance and Push were pretty good. T4 was better than I was expecting. Taken and Valkyrie were excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Oh, yay! I was sort of waiting for someone to say Taken was good before I rent it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I liked Valkyrie. And Benjamin Button.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Valkyrie was good, apart from the historical inaccuracy.

My sister is making me watch The Swan Princess with her. She's 18.

Terminator: Salvation, Taken, Valkyrie, Defiance, and Push.

Taken was good. Terminator was pretty good, and so was Push. I was disappointed in Push because it had so much waisted potential. The screaming Asian men got old really fast, though.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I loved the scene between Chris Evans and Djimon Hounsou in the restaraunt. Thought they pulled that off extremely well.

Taken has a good, viable story, but the main reason it works well at all is because of Liam Neeson. You don't screw with him. Period.

The acting caliber in Valkyrie blew me the heck away. Aside from Tom Cruise, you have Kenneth Branagh (Shackleton), Bill Nighy (Davy Jones-Pirates of the Caribbean), Tom Wilkinson (Batman Begins, RocknRolla), Thomas Kretschmann (King Kong, The Pianist), Terence Stamp (Yes Man, Halo 3), Eddie Izzard (Prince Caspain, Ocean’s 12/13), Kevin McNally (Mr. Gibbs-Pirates of the Caribbean), Tom Hollander (Lord Beckett-Pirates of the Caribbean), and a whole flippin’ host of others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Oh heck! I have to see that.

I loved the scene between Chris Evans and Djimon Hounsou in the restaraunt. Thought they pulled that off extremely well.

That was good, but up until Hounsou said that he was the only one who could save his girlfriend, there was no reason not to just shoot him. And I didn’t like the girlfriend, so I wouldn’t have minded if she died. I thought that Chris and Dakota were really good though. Most of the acting was good from all involved.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah there are an assload of good actors in Valkyrie, and many have smaller roles. I thought they were much stronger than Cruise.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited

So I watched Dragonball Evolution and 17 Again on the flight but I cba to review them atm.

So in short.

DB:E – There was nothing particularly bad, but it had a mountain of small mistakes that kept adding up.
    17 Again – Wo-ah, fucking awesome, brilliant movie and it helps that Leslie Mann is in it (cough).

I haven’t seen 17 Again, but the commercial where Matthew Perry’s wife says, “It’s so strange; you look just like my husband.” always irritates me. He does not. I realize that’s extremely nitpicky, but it just irks me when she says that. Sometimes people change drastically over time, but then she wouldn’t have said that. I’m sure the movie is good, and I’ll probably watch it when it comes to HBO.

Maybe you’re lacking the context. He looks just like her husband of 20 years ago, not her husband of today.

Okay, in the preview it sounds like she means how he looks now. If she means how he looked then, I’m fine with it.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

Just watched Repo! The Genetic Opera
    ‘Twas pretty awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Repo! was great. Especially Anthony Stewart Head. He rocks.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

He does. My sister has an old CD of his.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I recently started watching Buffy (after Repo!) and much to my surprise..

...?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Anthony Head is in it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Tony Head is Giles.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

He’s good in it too.. only seen a few episodes though.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Heheheh.

He’s awesome. :3

Aw, man, now I really want the Collectors Edition complete DVD set.

It could be mine for £120…

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Wait untill season 3 where Wesley shows up. Then Giles gets fun...

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009

_Air Force One_.

_Heck_, yes. Indiana Jones and Jim Gordon. There are so many elements of this film that work perfectly. The tension is palpable, thanks in no small part to the great acting, sharp choreography and editing, and the powerful score by Jerry Goldsmith. There's also the fact that Gary Oldman is, without a doubt, the absolute best non-Russian to play a Russian I've ever seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009

There’s also the fact that Gary Oldman is, without a doubt, the absolute best non-Russian to play a Russian I’ve ever seen.

He was good in that movie.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited

_X-Men Origins: Wolverine_
    _Green Lantern: First Flight_

_Wolverine_ was good; better than I'd expected, and I didn't expect much. The opening credits sequences were shot incredibly well (the storming of Normandy looked _identical_ to that same sequence in _Saving Private Ryan_). However, I found the movie frustrating. It had a good story--no, it had a _great_ story, but the film stumbled through it. The double-crosses, revelations, and major beats were all very strong, and the ending was incredibly poignant. But by the time you get to it, it doesn't come across as strongly as it could have. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed it, and moreso than the likes of Push or T4.

_Green Lantern_ was great, especially for a direct-to-DVD release. The quality of the animation was really good and the voice acting was strong (Christopher Meloni ftw). Overall, a very solid flick. I recommend it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

Also, X-Men Origins: Wolverine had Wolverine in it, which automatically makes stuff at least three times cooler. ;)

I was watching it with my friend at her house (her dad had a bootlegged copy with the special effects missing), and she said, “He’s so hot…” about five times during the movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009

I would never ever ever say anything like that, no, not ever… innocent

I watched Hot Rod, Pineapple Express, and Stardust with my friend on Friday. It was fun, since we stayed up til 3 in the morning to do so.

Well, I just saw The Breakfast Club a few minutes ago. And overall, I liked it (except for the ending).

I’m watching Rebel Without A Cause in bits and pieces.

James Dean is dreamy. XD

I watched Horsemen today. It was meh. Although I do like movies with twists…

Also, I saw G.I. Joe yesterday. And, it was pretty much the most stupid film I’ve seen this summer.

^^Haha. One of my former friends has decided that that is her “like OMG favorite moviee EVER!!!!1”

I did paraphrase a bit, but she did say it was her new favorite movie. Why was it stupid? Just action-y with no plot?

Yeah, pretty much.

I hate it when they do that. Thanks, now I don’t have to watch it to find out. =)

Also, the climax was pretty stupid. It was pretty much like this.

I liked HP6 even if I feel like it could’ve been much, much better.

Didn’t see Wolverine because Wolverine is a dull character IMO, plus word was they ruined Deadpool.

Also the best movie ever is Road House starring Patrick Swayze.

I watched HP6 again. I was such a pervert… smirk

An interesting piece of gossip: did you know that Taylor Lautner is currently single and wants to date a fan? headdesk It’s only a matter of time before he dies from getting trampled over.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

...did he seriously say that? Does he just want a girlfriend who worships the ground he walks on? GRAR. He just lost like twenty esteem points from me.

Does he just want a girlfriend who worships the ground he walks on?

Or puts out like crazy. As an aside, I have no clue who that is.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

An interesting piece of gossip: did you know that Taylor Lautner is currently single and wants to date a fan? headdesk It’s only a matter of time before he dies from getting trampled over.

...oh dear god, are you bloody serious? hops on the headdesk bandwagon As Spanny said, he’s not going to get a girlfriend out of this, he’s going to have someone who will follow him like a puppy. I don’t understand the appeal in that?