Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009

District 9 is made by Peter Jackson though, so hopefully it will be good.

I wasn’t really disappointed by HBP at all… I wasn’t expecting it to be exactly like the book… I’m not sure why anybody else would either. Anyways, they couldn’t really have Bill and Fleur or the wedding because Bill was supposed to be introduced in, what, the fourth movie? But he never was. :( Unfortunate, though, the Greyback attack would have been cool, since Greyback was in the movie, but didn’t do much. I did like that they brought quidditch back, though. I think it was better in this movie than any of the others, because in this movie it actually looked like the intense, somewhat violent game it was described as.

I have to say that the only thing that actually disappointed me was the fact that Dumbledore never really lost his cool very much when drinking the potion. In the book it the most intense part of that seen was when Dumbledore began screaming, that was the point where you figure out how effed up the potion really is. Oh well, though. It isn’t too big of a deal.

Why in the last page of this thread did anyone have to put SIRIUS DIES IN BOOK FIVE in spoiler tags?

Seriously, everyone knows. This isn’t 2003.

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009

The Day The Earth Stood Still had KEANU REEVES. Anyone who actually expected it to be good had some serious brain damage problems.

The Day The Earth Stood Still was a very good movie, and it starred Michael Rennie. I don’t know what you’re talking about.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Saw HBP. Was ok. At least everyone somewhat knew how to act (Alan Rickman and Helena Bonham Carter for the win!).

Why in the last page of this thread did anyone have to put SIRIUS DIES IN BOOK FIVE in spoiler tags?

Because in the Mary Sue Therapy thread, someone brought in Ginny Weasley, and Steph asked if there would be spoilers since she hadn’t Harry Potter yet. I thought that some people might have managed not to know.

SQUEEEE DRACO WAS HOTT!!!

</end fangirl>

I just watched the movie, and I must admit, it was rather boring at parts. Slughorn was sorely disapointing, but everyone else was… tolerable I suppose… ;) Helena Bonham Carter was quite good, as well as Emma Watson. At least she didn’t ennonciate her words so that she sounded like an American trying to pull off a British accent this time. Third one was still the best. But I loved Draco. Hee hee, my sister was about to slap me in the movie theater. ;P

I thought that they showed Draco too much, but I’m not a big fan of his, so I guess that’s why. I thought the acting was good in this one. They’ve all gotten a lot better since the first movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

The actor for Draco is quite good. I mean I love Radcliffe but around everyone else he seems the weakest.. but not in this movie, only in a few parts.

Narcissa Malfoy bugged me.. she didn’t look at all like a pale, sallow imagination I had. She was wearing makeup and had her hair up for christ’s sake. But at least she was only in a scene with Rickman and Carter, and they are my favorites.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009

Yeah, Rickman and Carter are very good actors. I’ve enjoyed them in everything I’ve seen them in.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Saw HBP the previous weekend. Didn’t really get the plot.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

The only major plot changes were with the Vanishing Cabinet and Ginny + Harry = uber lurv

I like how the book dealt with Draco and the vanishing cabinet.. it just whacks you in the end. In the movie there were references to it the whole time so it was obvious when Draco says it in the end. Did notice they snuck in an expelliarmus in there though ;o.

But I do like how the movie did G + H. In the book there were small references, but mostly only on Harry’s end of things. Then bam! everyone loves Ginny. In the movie it was a gradual process that even really didn’t go into them dating much, just left it open. And it left out the whole Quidditch thing.

I liked the movie’s G/H better too, but I thought Bonnie Wright (is that how you spell her name? Ché pas…) was a horrible actress. Horrible.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Eh, she was alright. I think Radcliffe seems worse because they give him shittier lines.. I dunno.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009 edited

I am one of those people, the ones who really want movies to be accurate to the book. Or at least the HP movies, because I love those books. I was seriously annoyed by all the deviations. What the hell was with the Burrow fire circle thing? And the ignoring of Harry/Ginny? And the weird end sequence- they messed up the battle!

Also…. they left out the revulsion on Snape’s face and the don’t call me coward bit.

Usually I like Rickman, but grrrr!

And what the hell was with Narcissa’s skunk hair?

I am one of those people, the ones who really want movies to be accurate to the book.

Me too. But I haven’t read the books in a while, so I didn’t remember all the deviations. When I do remember them, it annoys me.

Yeah… I was in the middle of rereading OOTP before I saw the movie. I was pretty annoyed when I first saw the movie, noting a lot of big screw ups. When I reread HBP, I got even more mad.

I watched Ice Age 3 in THREE! GLORIOUS! DIMENSIONS! today. It was awesome. Way better than the second, though not as good as the first.

I think the best bit was when we got a song from the POV of the acorn the squirrel's been chasing the last 10 years. It was so sad. :'(

Ice Age 3 >>> Transformer 2.

I really prefered the original Transformer over its sequel; the second movie is too noisy and messy for my taste, personally. :L

Both Transformers movies looked like crap. I do like my explosions, but… come on, giant space robots named Decepticons? REALLY?

Voice of scorn

When I want gratuitous violence, I’ll turn to some good ol’ Indiana Jones.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ditto.^^

I haven’t seen Indiana Jones, though.

You haven’t????

What is WRONG WITH YOU?

They are three of the most awesome action films… seriously!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Okay, I just requested Raiders of the Lost Ark. :P

Yay!

That one is awesome!

My personal favorite is Last Crusade… it has SEAN CONNERY!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Don’t spoil anything. :P

I shan’t.

But be forewarned… it is made of WIN!

The original three Indiana Jones movies are some of the very best action films ever made. One of the cinemas here does a midnight movie event every weekend, where people go to a showing of an old movie late at night, it’s loud and rowdy, and so much fun. Last weekend we went to the The Temple of Doom. AWESOME!

I threw up after watching the second Indiana Jones. I stayed away from them after that… Admittedly, at the time I was 7. ;)

I haven’t seen any of them but the fourth. I didn’t like it. I’m sure the others are better, but I don’t like very many action movies.

I love Indiana Jones. I remember watching Temple of Doom with my friend and her little brother ran out of the room.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009

I’ve only seen Raiders of the Lost Ark. I’ve been meaning to hunt down the others for some time now…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I watched Bridge over River Kwai yesterday, pretty good movie, and the ending was EPIC.

Ah, Alec Guiness, how we miss thee.

Neurotic, the fourth one BLOWS. Try Last Crusade. Sean Connery bonus!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I watched Ice Age 3 in THREE! GLORIOUS! DIMENSIONS! today. It was awesome. Way better than the second, though not as good as the first.

You give me hope.

I adore Ice Age.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I adore Ice Age.

Coughlolcough

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited

Another Indy fan here.

My favorite movies other than the Indy movies are the first two Jurassic Park movies, King Kong (both the 1933 original and the 2005 remake), Van Helsing, Disney’s Tarzan, and the original Star Wars trilogy.

My least favorite movie is probably The Passion of the Christ.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

I was just watching the Watchmen. Good movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

‘twas an awesome movie.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

Might have been better the second time even, because I wasn’t spending the entire time trying to find things they left out or messed up on.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Haha, probably. They took out the pirate section, which was the most noticeable, but otherwise I didn’t notice many omissions.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009

http://www.hulu.com/watch/85149/movie-trailers-alice-in-wonderland

I actually want to see Alice in Wonderland. Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, and Christopher Lee in one movie?!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, and Christopher Lee in one movie?!

Drool.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Yes, please.

I’d hit that.

Alice in Wonderland looks like it’s going to turn into Charlie in the Chocolate Factory (that’s the new one), just weird and not have the right vibe for the story. I could be wrong though.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

Shit… There is a lot of stars in that movie. Plus, like, half the cast of Harry Potter.

Well, Harry Potter’s ending, so they need something new to do.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009 edited

Alice looks to old in that movie.

* Mia Wasikowska as Alice.[4]

Wonderland residents

* Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter5 * Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen.[6] Bonham Carter’s head will be increased in size by three times on screen.[7] Her character is a combination of the Red Queen and the Queen of Hearts.[8] * Anne Hathaway as the White Queen. Her character does not require digital manipulation.[9] Hathaway summed up her character with a caption on a magnet of Happy Bunny holding a knife; “Cute but psycho. Things even out.”[10] Her character also doesn’t walk, “she floats. She’s very eccentric and over dramatic, and just as mad in her way as the Hatter” [11]Her name is Mirana.[12] * Michael Sheen as the White Rabbit13 * Alan Rickman as the Caterpillar. Rickman was filmed while recording his voice in a studio, and his face will be composited onto a stop motion character.[7] * Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat.[14][15] * Matt Lucas as Tweedledum and Tweedledee16 * Christopher Lee as the Jabberwock17 * Noah Taylor as the March Hare * Barbara Windsor as the Dormouse18[19] * Timothy Spall as the Bloodhound * Crispin Glover as the Knave of Hearts6 * Paul Whitehouse as the Dodo [20]

Real world residents

* Eleanor Tomlinson as Fiona Chataway, an unfriendly girl Alice knows before she falls down the rabbit hole.[21] * Jemma Powell as Margaret Manchester22 * John Hopkins as Lowell Manchester * Lindsay Duncan as Helen Kingsley23 * Marton Csokas as Charles Kingsley24 * Frances de la Tour as Aunt Imogene * Leo Bill as Hamish Ascot25 * Tim Pigott-Smith as Lord Ascot * Geraldine James as Lady Ascot

Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter’s children will have cameos in the film.[26]

Edit: Yeah, Alice is supposed to be 19. ;P

Just watched Mission: Impossible last night. Was sorely dissapointed.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009

I just saw Half-Blood Prince. It was strange to see Molly from Basil Brush playing Katie Bell.

I can't wait for Where the Wild Things Are. It looks so good.

I don’t understand how they make full-length movies out of ten-page children’s books.

Me either, but as long as it works it's all okay.

Ditto. :D

Yeah. Where the Wild Things Are does look really good. It’s funny that they can make a lot better movie when they stretch a story than when they condense it.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009

I don’t know…. I used to love the book, but the movie looked kinda bad.

I watched He Was a Quiet Man today. It was really weird.

Can’t wait for Public Enemies and Up. The only two films being released this year that I’m holding that much expectations for.

Um.

Excuse me but.

You forgot Moon.

I heard that Public Enemies was horrible, but I still want to watch it. ;)

I thought Public Enemies was pretty good, what did you think RVL?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah I haven’t heard bad things about Public Enemies..

I haven’t seen it yet, Devin. :( I couldn’t believe the reviews though; Jhonny Depp was in it, how bad could it be? I think I’m going to have to wait until it comes out of theaters though; I look very young for my age, and I don’t think the movie ticket people would let me in an R rated movie… :(

Bring an ID, or flirt with the ticket taker.

cough Well, the thing is, I wouldn’t legally be allowed in either, so the ID would be a pretty big give away. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Bribe the ticket tacker. ;)

Hmm… I might get away with that…

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

Public Enemies was good. Just a bit slow at times.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Has anyone heard / watched Repo the Genetic Opera?

I enjoyed Repo a lot.

Moon was brilliant.

It was just perfect. Everything was just right. I need to watch it again. Definitely getting the DVD. Also: fitting for the son of David Bowie to have his first big hit be a space oddity*.

*lololol

I also watched the trailer for Adam, which really pissed me off because, well, I posted my thoughts on the Youtube video.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009

I have enjoyed Repo! The Genetic Opera. Twas amazing.

Re-watched The Bourne Supremecy last night. Loved it, as I did the first time. :D Have any of you watched them? What do you think about them in comparison to James Bond?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

James Bond is better.

Moon love! <3

I absolutely love the Bourne movies. But I've never seen a James Bond movie. :(

Moon was briiiiiiiiilliant.

5 thumbs up! No, 7 thumbs up! No, 20!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

No! 100!

Seriously, guys, GO SEE IT.

Is it showing around the Warld?

I mean it was difficult enough just to get a showing in London.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

James Bond is better.

I enjoyed the Bourne films more, just because they were a lot more… realistic.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited

http://www.sonyclassics.com/moon/dates.html

Speaking of dates, it’s got no showings in Bahrain. There goes a date plan idear.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

D: That sucks.

Incidentally, I’m getting sick of trying to google Moon and getting New Moon links all over the place.

DON’T SULLY THE GENIUS.

Why not just type [moon -“new moon”]?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Because that would still involve sullying the genius.

Have you seen Moon?

Yes.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Thankstome

I was talking to Dan. :P

I’ve still seen it though 8)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

8D We’re part of a Special Club!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009

If I was an old fogey 17 I would go see Moon but I’m not for another month or so. =( Woe to me.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009 edited

Apart from Jeni, who is the oldest person here?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

No idea. You. Wait, did I turn this into an age discussion?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I dunno. You’re always younger than I thought, and I know Jeni is probably the oldest (excluding the long forgotten Carbon Copy), but I wonder if someone’s in between.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Golcondio? Was he the old one?

I always forget that I’m sixteen, and chances are that as soon as I’m 17 I’ll forget that too. Except for that it allows me to see R-rated films in theatres. Hooray.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

You know just what to say to the ladies, Virgil.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

=D

Golcondio?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009 edited

http://impishidea.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=245&page=1

EDIT: why does it not turn into a link. Whyyyy

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I see. I thought you were saying CC was Golcondio.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I don’t even remember who Carbon Copy was. D:

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

He was active from the beginning of the site right up until our first NaNoWriMo, where I think critiquing everyone’s work made him leave / decapitated him. He always found something to tear apart in your work.