Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Anyone going to see HP 6 for the midnight showing? (I’m not, we haven’t even bought tickets)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009 edited

No, but I’m probably going to see it sometime. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009

I’ll probably watch it online at some point. I haven’t seen any of them since the very first one, admittedly, but will probably give this one a shot.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I love The Prestige. Damn good movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

@SWQ: Yep, I'm going with my sister and some friends. I have a thing for midnight showings. >>

Anyway, I just finished watching Red Eye, and EGADS is that film good.

*will not sleep for the rest of the night*

@ Moldorm from a while back: I’ve been bingeing on movies because we had a chick flick night last night. THey stayed over for 22 hours.

My sister (the one who bought Brady Bunch season 1) also bought Prince Caspian. She’s got varying taste, has that girl, because it’s got the best battle scenes I’ve ever seen. The CGI was terrific.

I hate the new Narnia movies. Sure, they look cool, but they have the most immature dialogue. The characters weren’t nearly that snarky in the books.

Also, dyed water.

@Spanman
    I love Red Eye! It’s great.

The most recent movies I’ve seen were 12 Rounds and Kill Shot. They were both very… meh. 12 Rounds was probably the better of the two.

EDIT:

I hate the new Narnia movies.

And why are they all out of order? I only read the first three books, but The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is number two, and Prince Caspian is one of the last ones I think.

My friend saw Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen yesterday. She said that it was as bad as everyone had made it out to be.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

They’re making them in the order they were written, I believe. Which isn’t a good excuse, because there is a chronological order, but oh well.

LWW is second, PC is fourth out of seven. It goes Magician’s Nephew, LWW, Horse and His Boy, PC, Dawn Treader, Silver Chair, and The Last Battle.

Yeah, I think chronological order would make more sense. So he wrote them in a different order? I did not know that.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009

Not a movie, but I watched my first episode of TOS today. Muahahahahahaha.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Besides, they’re making all the films with the Pevensies in them one after the other so that they can use the same actors.

Oh. I kind of thought they might be doing that… but I didn’t know which ones they were in.

@SWQ:

Yeah, a friend and I got our tickets, and we were gonna go in costume (me as Harry, her as Hermione, and another friend as Ron), but the other friend couldn’t get tickets in time so it wouldn’t work. :(

And today I watched Repo! The Genetic Opera, it was really cool.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I hate the new Narnia movies. Sure, they look cool, but they have the most immature dialogue. The characters weren’t nearly that snarky in the books.

Plus it’s a little weird to see children fighting in armies.

I honestly can’t wait for HP6 to come out. You’d think I’d learn after the fifth time… ;)

I hated the new Narnia movies when they came out, because a) they were remakes b) they had other stuff in them c) I wasn’t in them lol.

But then I got over it after seeing Prince Caspian. Yeah, they took a lot of stuff out, and they added the whole Susan/Caspian thing. But I got over that. The dialogue didn’t strike me as particularly childish, but then again, I was out of the room until the battle scene cause I finally got bored of whatever I was doing and came to watch. Whereupon I immediately fell in love with the guy who plays Caspian (anybody know his name?).

(There is so much wrong with that last sentence lol.)

EDIT: Ben Barnes. I don’t believe it. The guy’s name is Ben Barnes.

You know what kills me? spoiler for anyone who hasn’t read book 7, The Last Battle

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

If you read Prince Caspian, you’ll see that Caspian is between Edmund and Susan in age and there’s never any silly romance. >=(

Anyway. The guy who plays Caspian is Ben Barnes. Eh. Curse him and his fake Spanish accent!

Thank you Spanny! Ditto!

Lol, did you know that the guy who plays Peter is actually 20 years old?

(Not to mention that Ben Barnes is 26. He even looked a little old for Susan.)

Yeah, and Robert Pattinson is 23… Since when does Hollywood pay attention to age?

Idk. They subverted it in the remake of Get Smart where Anne Hathaway looks younger than she is.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Or looks pointedly at the filmmakers for the Percy Jackson movies they cast a 16-year-old for a 12-year-old and have his (also 12-year-old) costar played by someone in her twenties.

....WHAT?!?!?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

If only I were kidding.

17 and 23. OK, so not quite as bad as 16 and 27. But still.

I'll be going at midnight for Harry Potter too. Unfortunately none of my friends got tickets so it's just me, my sister and her friend.

Just watched the Painted Veil. LOVED IT. Amazing move; the death at the end completed it. Although my dad thinks I’m too morbid now…

I’m going to see Harry Potter next week sometime.

They always cast people who are was too old to play preteens and teens. I have no idea why.

Two movies that I saw a few months ago that were good: Slumdog Millionaire and Seven Pounds.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009 edited

At least they started out with the right ages with Harry Potter.

I’m going to see it tonight at miiidnight. ^^

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009

Dev Patel from Slumdog Millionaire is going to be Zuko. I still think they should have cast someone Chinese for him, but… whatever. At least it’s not Jesse McCartney or whoever it was supposed to be.

Jesse McCartney? cough Wow.

I love how people think if you can act/sing/dance, you can automatically do the other two. There are some who can, but more who can’t cough cough me cough cough

At least they started out with the right ages with Harry Potter.

Yeah. The ages kind of got off when they took so long between the second and third movies. The actors don’t really look too old still, which is good.

Yeah, they don’t too off at all.

It's 3:20 am and I just got back from the HP premier. Despite material they cut and scenes they added, I loved the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009

Dawson Casting is not a big deal.

Anyway, Susan doesn't go to Narnia because she's not dead. All of the others were on the train or at the station when the accident took place - every single character who goes to the New Narnia in the Last Battle has died. Susan, however, was not there. That's why she's not in New Narnia.

So Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was pretty much amazing. Best one yet, no doubt.

@ Corsair: Oh, right. That’s what happened. Havent read TLB in a while. But yeah. She still won’t see Caspian.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

There’s still always the question of whether she would get there anyway, because Lewis was going for a theme about salvation, etc. etc. So I’ve always figured she wouldn’t end up there even when she did die.

How were the scenes with Draco, like the Sectusempra scene, or whatever? I just re-watched the 5th one and realized how much it sucked. Ick, not true to the book at all! There are so many plot holes they’ll have to explain come the 7th movie… Anyway, my expectations aren’t very high for the Half-Blood Prince.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I watched 12 Angry Men last night, great movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I always read it as saying that Susan was dead, but no longer believed in Narnia, so didn’t go there upon death, which fits in with the Christianity thing.

@ RVL: It doesn’t follow the book exactly, but it is an adaptation, and some things need to be changed for it to adapt well. The only real Deathly Hallows plot hole here was that the Burrow was burned down by Death Eaters and the wedding will need to happen somewhere else, but that isn’t really too much of a problem. We actually see all three of the Hallows at one point or another in this movie, but all three are only on screen momentarily. The friend I was with squeed along with many of the other girls in the theater when Draco was in the bathroom because his crying and the fact that his comb-over was getting messed up made him look emo. It was actually a well done scene, I think.

It doesn’t follow the book exactly, but it is an adaptation, and some things need to be changed for it to adapt well.

The main part that annoyed me was that they cut at all the Quidditch stuff. I can’t wait to see Half-Blood Prince though.

I watched Push yesterday. It’s one of those that’s not very good, but not very bad. It had the potential to be good. I hate it when the potential is there, and I really want to like it, but I can’t.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I loved Half-Blood Prince. Partly because of the hype of going to see it at midnight, but still, I thought it was really well done. There were a lot more funny parts that were actually funny than on #5, and DRACO. Ah, Draco. There was so much Draco. ^^

Anyway, I laughed, I cried, I’m going to go see it again soon. >>

DRACO! SQUEEEEEEEEEE!! Oh my God, I can’t wait!!

</end fangirl>

clears throat Really? Well, can’t wait to see it then. clears throat

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Yeah, there’s a ton. It greatly satisfied the fangirl in me. :D

I just found this fan-created websited for casting Maximum Ride. It’s not official or anything, and I haven’t looked at it that much, but I thought it was interesting.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009 edited

YES!!! I’m going to see Up soon. :D

@ Puppet: If you haven't seen Up yet, it's an extremely good movie.

The best Pixar movie ever, in my opinion.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009 edited

I ended up seeing Harry Potter instead, because the tickets prices were pretty low.

Harry Potter was pretty good, but it wasn’t as exiting or good as I thought it would be. It wasn’t very true to the book and a lot of the scenes just felt like random fillers.

It was still a good movie though disappointing. =/

It wasn’t very true to the book

Ugh. I thought that the first four were really good at being true to the books. It doesn’t stray as far the last one, does it?

They did cut out some important stuff, but I think it'll be easy to incorporate it into the next film.

Harry Potter was pretty good, but it wasn’t as exiting or good as I thought it would be. It wasn’t very true to the book and a lot of the scenes just felt like random fillers.

Huh, sounds like crap to me… As long as there’s lots of Draco. ;P

How wasn’t it true to the books? I thought it got all the important stuff in. It wasn’t a very good film, although the acting was pretty good from Draco and Hermione. The cave scene was also quite good. Otherwise, for the most part, it was one awkward teen conversation after another.

Funnily enough, it’s probably one of the most realistic highschool movies around, too.

Me and my friends went to watch Bruno on Wednesday. I’m the only one of us that’s 18 but I look about 15, while they all look 20 and are barely 17. We didn’t get in.

A lot of people were upset at the missing memories and how the Half-Blood Prince was only mentioned a few times.

Oh, the ones about his mother?

Luckily my general memory of Harry Potter is hazy enough that I don’t go wanking over the slightest cut. Half-Blood Prince is a big book to condense into two hours and a half. They did a decent job getting all the plotlines in there, and they even made the romances more believeable.

Yeah, they cut the one showing his mother, another one showing a future Horcrux, and the one where Voldemort tries to get the DADA job.

Me and my friends went to watch Bruno on Wednesday. I’m the only one of us that’s 18 but I look about 15, while they all look 20 and are barely 17. We didn’t get in.

Couldn’t you show ID?

Of course. But they wanted ID from all of us, so I would’ve been the only one who would’ve gotten in, and I’m no prick, so I stuck with my friends and watched Harry Potter instead.

On a similar related note, The Bum’s review of Half-Blood Prince is hilarious, especially… all of it. A day’s laughs packed into three minutes. Watch it.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009

On a similar related note, The Bum’s review of Half-Blood Prince is hilarious, especially… all of it. A day’s laughs packed into three minutes. Watch it.

promptly falls off chair

And that is why you Win.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There were no good movies on the plane, so to avoid dying from boredom, I watched Confessions of a Shopoholic, 17 Again, and Coraline. Only one of which was good. (Guess which one) And really freaky. But good.

Of course. But they wanted ID from all of us, so I would’ve been the only one who would’ve gotten in, and I’m no prick, so I stuck with my friends and watched Harry Potter instead.

But it’s rated R, right? 17-year-olds can see R-rated movies. Or are you somewhere other than the US?

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009

He’s in the UK.

Oh, okay then.

Damn fascists.

The best movie I've seen lately is 'Life is Beautiful'. It's an absolutely amazing movie. It's absolutely hilarious at the beginning, and the end had me in tears.
    For those of you who don't know, it's an Italian movie (with English subtitles) about the Holocaust. It's certainly a gentle portrayal, but a great one.

But it’s rated R, right? 17-year-olds can see R-rated movies. Or are you somewhere other than the US?

The ratings here go U(niversal), PG, PG12, 15, 18.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009

Went to go see Moon on Saturday night— freakin’ fantastic.

The music is beautiful. Same Rockwell is amazing. And Duncan Jones is very talented.

All of that for $5m? More please.

The ratings here go U(niversal), PG, PG12, 15, 18.

Okay then. I didn’t know that. You have one more rating than we do.

I saw Harry Potter today! It was really good. The only thing that pissed me off is that they skipped the funeral. The funeral was a really good ending to the movie. The merpeople all come out and everything. The rest was good though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

It’s going to be at the beginning of the 7th.

(Or so I heard)

Really? Then I will be happy.

Ohhhhh, since Bill and Fleur’s romance was written out, I bet the funeral will be interrupted by news of Voldemort’s takeover.

Bill and Fleur’s romance was written out

What? They’re making two movies! They shouldn’t have to write out hardly anything. I wanted to hear Fleur talk like zis about zee vedding.

Well, Bill wasn’t included at all in The Half-Blood Prince, no Fenrir Greyback attack, and no mention of any upcoming wedding.

Ugh. That’s annoying. I think I say Greyback in the movie, but he never turned into a werewolf (he is one, right?).

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, Half-Blood prince was pretty disappointing for me. ;(

It didn’t really disappoint me because I didn’t remember much about the book. I really need to re-read those.

no Fenrir Greyback attack

QUOI??? Ugh, I liked that part… Did they cut out the Remus/Tonks romance?

They have some Remus/Tonks. They’re together a lot, and she calls him “sweetheart” once.

YAY!

It’s not a major plot-point though. They aren’t in it that much. They have Lavender/Ron and Harry/Ginny. Lavender is really irritating.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009 edited

“Won-won!”

“He senses my presence!”

Vomits

Ron drunk with the Love potion was hilarious though, and Harry with the Felix. :D

The girl who plays her looks like a hippy; not at all what Lavender should look like. He senses my presence? headdesk

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I imagined her to be dark skinned and black hair in the books. ;P

I believe that was how she was described as well…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009 edited

Though I probably mixed her up with her friend, the eldest of the Parvati twins, because she’s Indian. (I think)

Lol! Then she gets all upset when he mumbles, “Hermione.” Lavender practically stalks him before they even start dating. She acts derranged… and Bellatrix constantly screaming,
    Book 5 Spoiler
    v v
    I liked Luna in this one. The dress she wore to the Christmas party amused me. Evanna’s voice is just so ditzy and perfect for Luna too.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I imagined her to be dark skinned and black hair in the books.

That’s how I pictured her too. Then they bring out Blondie, and I was like, “But Lavender doesn’t look like that.” I could tell who she was from the beginning because they kept showing her staring at Ron.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Just saw the trailer for District 9. If you haven’t check it out.. if its done right and not just a male fantasy action flick but with possible good themes.. and stuff, it will be really cool.

Is District 9 the one where they are interviewing the aliens, and they say that they just want to go home?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Yeah thats the one.

That does look good, but then, so did The Day the Earth Stood Still.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

True..