Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Just watched Signs with my dad. It gets better every time. ^^

I love Signs!

I just watched Bicycle Thieves. It was sort of a strange movie. It seemed more like a camera was following a guy and his son around than an actual movie. It was really good, though, and the end almost made me cry.

I saw about half of Coppola’s Dracula last night. I liked it a lot stylistically, and it was extremely creepy, but I’m not sure I liked the whole ‘Mina is Dracula’s wife reincarnated’ bit.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010

That’s the one with Keanu Reeves, isn’t it?
    I only saw the first half of it, but I particularly liked the scene with Lucy in the labyrinth in the rain.

I watched An Unfinished Life last night. It was quite good. :D

Princess and the Frog is the cutest movie ever! And the songs are actually quite catchy!
    • CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010

Just saw _The Ghost Writer_, with Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan. Excellent thriller that doesn't rely on shock tactics to rack up the tension. The payoff at the end of the film is great, and that last shot is absolutely fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Ooh that looks good.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. So much fun. :D

My mental image of you has now changed from Detective Conan to Short Round.

I always thought of him as “that kid in that Twilight debate video”.

I checked out the original Lord of the Flies movie from my school library. I’m gonna watch it today. I’m geekily excited about it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

@ Dan Locke

Yeah, I didn’t like it as much as the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

My mental image of you has now changed from Detective Conan to Short Round.

D:

I watched Lord of the Flies. I am pleasantly surprised. It was pretty good. Much better than the ’90s one. The acting wasn’t great, but they were very, very faithful to the book, and it was just really well-done, save for a few technical sound problems. It was even on VHS. I hadn’t watched one of those in a while.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited

I always thought of him as “that kid in that Twilight debate video”.

Real Puppet doesn’t look Puppety enough.

D:

Don’t worry, this means you get to drive Indy’s car.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Rocky. Duh.

^

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Okay, who’s Willie Scott? xD

I’d say Spanman, since IIRC she is pals with Rocky or somesuch, but I don’t think she’d let me survive it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

1. Rocky would refuse to kiss Spanman, probably coming up with an excuse along the lines of “I’m Batman. It’s dangerous for you to be around me.”

2. Spanman would refuse to kiss Rocky.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

1. Rocky would refuse to kiss Spanman,

2. Spanman would refuse to kiss Rocky.

A potential problem.

•  
      CommentAuthorsansafro187
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited

Yeah, but Indy and Willie was a doomed relationship anyway, given that ToD is chronologically pre-Ark(I think).

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Watched the new Alice in Wonderland. It’s lovely and quirky and very pretty, but damn if it isn’t a stupid plot.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

The only problem is that I haven’t seen any Indy films recently enough to remember who Willie Scott is.

The shrill, irritating love interest in ToD. Note, however, that I didn’t actually suggest you for it.

INDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Oh, you know. The whiny rich bitch that loves diamonds and glamor and such, hates bugs and gross things, before finally falling for the hero.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010 edited

Aw gee. You know I’m not like that. And if it gets me out of kissing Indy, then I will gladly hand the title to someone else.

And if it gets me out of kissing Indy, then I will gladly hand the title to someone else.

You can’t fool me, Spanman. I’m wise to your tsundere ways.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010

You’re missing out on kissing Rocky, a once in a lifetime chance.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I missed my chance. It keeps me up every night.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

You can’t fool me, Spanman. I’m wise to your tsundere ways.

Aw heck, I had to look that one up. Very sneaky.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Don’t make the same mistake Virgil did.

Aw heck, I had to look that one up. Very sneaky.

:3

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

This will all end in tears.

Manly tears, shed by me at the heartwarming conclusion.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Manly tears? Did I miss something here?

I have no idea. I’m just trying to instigate and I kinda got lost at some point.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Manly tears?

Its what is used to brew liquor and power rocketships.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

That’s what I thought. Manly tears are not shed at the heartwarming end of Willie Scott and Indy’s relationship. Besides, the only heartwarming thing about it will be the bonfire resulting from the landmine I planted in the road that he happened to be driving on.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

You have just killed your grandson.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Don’t worry, I’ll cry very convincingly over your dead body.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. 1. Rocky would refuse to kiss Spanman, probably coming up with an excuse along the lines of “I’m Batman. It’s dangerous for you to be around me.”

I'd refuse because she has cooties. She'd refuse because she knows that looking me in the face from less than three feet away will melt her face off.

Riiight.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Don't make me melt more faces than necessary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I think Spocky is not only good, but necessary.

What does it say about me that I picture Rocky as a musclebound manchild with platinum-blond hair and golden briefs?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I picture him as the Red Ranger, because he looks better morphed.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I left to get my beauty sleep, and now… this.

• CommentAuthorRocky

However I'm pictured, I'd best be covered in dirt/mud, an M21 EBR in one hand, the head of a Predator in the other. Bloody wounds are optional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

You forgot the part where you like to try to show people how they’d better stay away from you because, in their heart of hearts, you know they really hate you for who you are. A loner. A tragic hero. Someone like Sydney Carton. With guns.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

In my dreams you always survive a helicopter crash. But that's just me. >>
    • CommentAuthorRocky

Nah, not really. I'm just a blood boring person with an antiquanted commentary on society and writing ambitions that will likely get the better of me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

That’s much better.

• CommentAuthorRocky

WEEP OVER MY TRAGICNESS, ALL YE CREATURES WITH UNTAINTED SOULS AND BLESSED LIVES.

Anyway, back to me holding the Predator's head. My hand and forearm are in its mouth. Because I'm gripping its _brain_.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I WEEP NO TEARS FOR THEE.

Uh, ew.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

However I’m pictured, I’d best be covered in dirt/mud, an M21 EBR in one hand, the head of a Predator in the other. Bloody wounds are optional.

But… But… Batman doesn’t kill or use guns. D:

My mental image of you has been shattered forever.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I don't think I've been pictured as Batman in....years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Even Batman isn’t conflicted enough for Rocky’s uses.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Finished The Last Crusade. Of the three Indiana Jones films I’ve watched this one was by far my favorite.

Mine too.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Sean Connery makes everything better. :D

Indeed, plus he looks like my old man, and since he’s Indy’s dad, that makes me Indy. Or at least, that was my thinking when I was a kid.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I just finished Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I’m just going to forget it ever happened. Yes, it was that bad.

At the risk of alienating the entire internet, I thought it was okay. It was just entirely unnecessary.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

ಠ_ಠ

• CommentAuthorRocky

My biggest complaint about that one was the cinematography. The shots and pans were good, but something about that whole film felt really bright and washed out, whereas the originals were very high contrast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

For me it didn’t feel like Indiana Jones, in the original 3 films everything they did was semi-plausible. And then in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull they survive a Nuke, Mutt turns Tarzan/Monkey King, the bullcrap about the magnetic gunpowder. And the aliens…

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010

I see the words 'magnetic gunpowder.'

I think 'a magnet could hold a bullet inside a gun. This is awesome.'

Then I think 'could a magnetic bullet theoretically realign the magnetic domains along the barrel of the gun?'

From that I move to 'could one fire a bullet, and have it slingshot back to the gun?'

Then I thought 'I'll post my thought process as a post.

Then I type 'I see the words 'magnetic.. ' okay no not doing that.

Well, it still kept the whole “there are things in which man ought not meddle” theme that’s pretty central to the previous movies and tried to update it from adventure serials to sci-fi serials to reflect the passage of time, which is kinda clever, but doesn’t really work that well. Fighting Nazis over religious artifacts is just more fun than fighting Russians over alien hoopajoops and what have you, but the second way wasn’t that bad.

The Tarzan bit was really, really stupid though. That’s the only thing in the movie I outright hated.

The fridge nuke didn’t bother me that much just because Indy movies are fairly silly about that sort of thing anyway.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I agree with the nuke and the Tarzan bit. The former could have been cut, and the second...well, that should've been cut, too. Two other things that annoyed me were the lack of booby traps, and the fact that I never got to hear that lovely revolver of his fire.

It has to be noted, though, that no matter what the critics and fans say about, I had an absolute blast at the midnight premiere. I don't regret that one bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

At the risk of alienating the entire internet, I thought it was okay. It was just entirely unnecessary.

Oh, hey, me too.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

What is this fourth Indiana Jones film you speak of?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I saw Night Watch again recently. They took many liberties with the source material, but it’s still quite good.

Aliens is an incredible movie, and the only one that seriously rivals Blade Runner as my favorite.

Aliens is an incredible movie

Cue Eff Tee

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010

Aliens is in my top 2 movies of all time.

Night Watch as in the Russian one? I preferred the books, but the first movie is very good. Day Watch not so much.

Hey, does anyone here rate stuff on IMDB? I’ve seen around 675 movies, or at least remember enough to have voted on that many. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Night Watch as in the Russian one?

Yes, that one. I still haven’t seen Day Watch, though.

American Psycho. Weird movie. Christian Bale is much more attractive when covered in blood…

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Princess and the Frog again, since my sister loves it so much. While watching it for the second time, I was reassured of it’s mediocrity.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Alice in Wonderland was okay.

• CommentAuthorRocky

"Christopher Nolan's brother, Jonathan, may be penning the script to Steven Spielberg's next film":http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/03/dark_knight_spielberg_nolan.html.

Just watched the Seventh Seal. it was great, and Death was just pure awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid. ‘Twas adorable.

Gah I hate those books. Was the movie any better?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’ve never read any of the books. The film was full of dumb cliches, but I really liked it regardless. I’m pretty easy to please. >>

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

From the Rotten Tomatoes page, the movie was actually a mediocre-to-bad adaptation. I haven’t read all the books or seen the movie so I don’t have a personal opinion on it.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. I’ve never read any of the books. The film was full of dumb cliches, but I really liked it regardless. I’m pretty easy to please. >>

I'm calling bull. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Okay, a revision. I’m pretty easy to please up to the point that men in monkey suits start running around the screen tearing people’s heads off.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Acid-inspired CGI fests are fine, but practical gore and prosthetics? Apparently not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Selena Gomez looks like an embalmed corpse.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

Selena Gomez as Beezus? ._.

Although, Ramona looks adorable.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I third the dislike of Selena Gomez. Not Beezus at all. But Ramona… d’aww.

Selena Gomez? THERE IS NO GOD!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010

practical gore and prosthetics

Practical gore? Please elaborate on the meaning of practical gore. And I have no problem with prosthetics when they’re done well. The prosthetics in Wolfman were not done well in any sense of the word. They’re supposed to be, y’know, a bit scary, right? Strike some fear into your heart, maybe? It’s not too much to ask, I think.

As for acid-inspired CGI fests, I have no problem with them if they’re done well either.

Alas, I may never trust your movie taste again. :D

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2010 edited

Practical vs. CG. I would've that was clear, but apparently simple defintions must be supplied.

bq. The prosthetics in _Wolfman_ were not done well in any sense of the word.

Then your education in prosthetics is woefully elementary. _The Wolfman_ is about a man turning into a lycanthropic hybrid, of which Rick Baker did and did so extremely well. You were expecting either a wholly grotesque mass of bristled fur or some ultra-nimble CGI rendering. As for being scary? I don't recall the point of the prosthetics being to make you scream or squirm, but rather make it look like, you know, a WOLFMAN. The squirming comes when you watch throats rip open and limbs break off.

bq. Alas, I may never trust your movie taste again.

You don't get to question my taste in film until you grow up.