Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

I still can’t get over how most of the main characters aren’t Asian in the film. And combined with how M. Night’s films haven’t satisfied me since Unbreakable, I’m just underwhelmed about the whole thing.

I just saw Tooth Fairy yesterday with a friend of mine who won’t watch anything over PG-rated movies.

Dwayne Johnson was in a tutu. That is all I have to say.

I hope that they can make it work, but I won’t be surprised if it’s really disappointing.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010

I loved the TV series of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I’m hoping the movie will have some of the seriousness that the cartoon lacked.

Also, I hope Azula is in it, and they better not screw up Zuko. D:<

I don’t think Azula will be in the first one, assuming that assuming there will be a second isn’t far too hopeful. More’s the pity.

Anybody ever have a moment where they completely disagree with what critics are saying about a movie? I saw An Education and thought it was boring, slow-paced, and weird. And apparently, it has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Because critics are always wrong. See the link at the bottom of Nate’s article on criticism.

I hope that they can make it work, but I won’t be surprised if it’s really disappointing.

Oh, it was disappointing.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

There’s supposed to be three Last Airbender movies… one for each season I guess.

But it was EVVILLLL. eyeroll I thought it was neat as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I thought it would just add a lot more to her character, but they never really explored that part of her. Other then The Puppetmaster and The Southern Raiders.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010

I watched Vertical Limit this week. It was a little.. uh.. preposterous in parts, but had actors I liked and some nice scenery and stunts.

Japan went nuts for the movie for some reason: advertising everywhere, stores using it as their demo disc for players/monitors, etc… I asked friends back here about it and apparently it came and went in the blink of an eye and nobody paid much attention. Weird how it found more success elsewhere.

Anyway it was decent :3

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010

I watched The Lovely Bones yesterday. Man, was that ever underwhelming.

Gladiator is an awesome movie, and not just because Ridley Scott is my favorite director.

Gladiator is an awesome movie, and not just because Ridley Scott is my favorite director.

I love that movie, but spend the entire time griping about how they ruin Roman Politics…

loved the TV series of Avatar: The Last Airbender, I’m hoping the movie will have some of the seriousness that the cartoon lacked.

Oh man, I LOVE Avatar. I just got one of my friends to start watching the first season with me. I’m really looking forward to the movie. It looks like they did the effects well if nothing else. (And I am one of those people that’s okay with letting shiny special effects make up for shortcomings in plot— hence why Transformers 2 was bearable.)

@Inspector Karamazov

I love that movie, but spend the entire time griping about how they ruin Roman Politics…

True. It’s not 300, but it’s far from historically accurate.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010 edited

He doesn't. If you listen to the commentary, Scott was especially troubled with how to convey the travel time, and how he was more-or-less unsatisfied with the end result. Plus, he had to find a way to keep the emphasis on him getting back to his home/wife/son.

Well, considering the way that the the offending scene is just Maximus riding through different settings (which are all depicted at the same time of day) and culminates in a single shot of a full moon, I’d say that he could have tried harder.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010

A very simple statement to make in retrospect, especially when devoid of a shooting schedule and budget.

My point is that it’s the kind of editing that you’d use if you were trying to make people think that it was a single day.

I have more of a problem with the fact that Commodus thinks the little kid is the heir to the throne. Since when? To be emperor, I think you have to know how a sucsessor is chosen. eye roll

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010

I watched The Forbidden Kingdom for the first time ever. And I must say, I love the bloopers. The Monkey King is a very funny dude. At the end where they show the resemblance between Hop and Drunken Immortal, I was practically screaming my shock.

Boy oh boy, I LOVE the bloopers. Too much. Way more than the movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorLeliel
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010

The movie itself was pretty good!
    I am a sucker for prehensile hair though ._.

I saw The Time Traveler’s Wife yesterday. It was actually a decent adaptation. I’ve seen so much worse. There were a few things that I think should’ve been left in and could have if it were a full two hours long. The stuff they left in was pretty accurate, except for a major part of the ending.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010

I have watched The Matrix AGAIN.

cool movie bro

Eh, I never really got what all the hullaballoo was about. It was alright and pretty original (at the time), but it never really wowed me.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Well, the special effects were pretty, and there were some very good fight scenes. Even if there was really no need for the cryptic philosophy.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Matrix is most excellent. I want to see Ninja Assassin. It looks mindless and gory. WOO HOO FOR SATURDAY NIGHTS FILLED WITH MINDLESS GORE!

I just watched Spaceballs. I have come to the conclusion that it is massively overrated.

^^This. Dear god, this.

• CommentAuthorRocky

You've _got_ to be kidding. Seriously, just the massive amount of references is priceless.

References don’t equal funny. If it did, then Meet the Spartans would be a comedic masterpiece.

@Rocky

You’ve got to be kidding. Seriously, just the massive amount of references is priceless.

Maybe they’d be funnier if the movie had anything approaching a sense of timing. Seriously, I half expected a laugh track to fill the gaping silences that followed many of the jokes, which themselves were of dubious quality most of the time. I cringed when it actually explained its references (“It works on Star Trek...”) – that’s one of the best ways to ruin a parody. And the acting was horrible, to say nothing of Yogurt’s bipolar Brooklyn/German accent.

That said, it did have its moments. The scenes with Dark Helmet tended to be funnier, and Princess Vespa was chuckle-worthy when the writers remembered to make her a spoiled brat. I also laughed at the part where the protagonists’ stunt doubles were mistaken for the actual characters. Sadly, there just weren’t enough parts that were actually funny (Skroob failing to teleport into an adjacent room), and most of the jokes fell flat (“combing” the desert, “Druish” puns, Vespa’s shootout).

The scenes with Dark Helmet

Yeah, that’s what really made it amusing.

I loved Spaceballs when I was a kid, but I have no idea if I’d like it now since it’s been about ten years since I’ve seen it.

I saw it once in the seventh grade and didn’t find it funny. Then I saw it maybe in the ninth grade and thought it was pretty funny.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010

Watching the movie version of Hamlet with David Tennant. I know it’s a tragedy, but man, cannot stop giggling. Tennant is brilliant.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. References don’t equal funny. If it did, then Meet the Spartans would be a comedic masterpiece.

No, no. There's a difference between clever references to great films and mindless references to everything contemporary.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Yeah, Mel Brooks’ earlier films tend to be funnier than his later ones (compare Young Frankenstein to Robin Hood: Men in Tights).

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I went to the premiere of Percy Jackson last night because my sister is a huge fan. It was utterly ridiculous, but also unbelievably adorable.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I went to the premiere of Percy Jackson last night because my sister is a huge fan. It was utterly ridiculous, but also unbelievably adorable.

Going tonight, my friends and I don’t have very high expectations. Being adorable isn’t exactly a factor in my friends’ judgment of whether something fails or not. It does remind me that I need to read The Last Olympian though. D:

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited

Well gosh, why on earth did I re-watch Pan’s Labyrinth? I am now thoroughly depressed and tearful.

But I love it so much.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Being adorable isn’t exactly a factor in my friends’ judgment of whether something fails or not.

Well, I guess there was some other cool stuff. Like the special effects, those were good except for Chiron who looked half man, half small mousy pony with really bad muscle structure. And the water stuff! That was cool too. Plus the actors for Percy and Grover were Pretty Okay and held up the film nicely despite a really mediocre script. Annabeth was unspeakably awful. Sorry.

And they skipped the part with Echidna and the Arch! I was really miffed about that for a while until I remembered that they couldn’t have made it work because the Arch is actually several hundred feet from the river and you can’t just jump from the top of it into the water. Even if you’re Percy Jackson. Sigh.

Annabeth was unspeakably awful.

So my suspicions have been confirmed.

@Jeni: I really want to see Pan’s Labyrinth.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Well gosh, why on earth did I re-watch Pan’s Labyrinth? I am now thoroughly depressed and tearful.

It reminds me of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, in other words: it looks wonderful. ... I want to watch it but it’s R. :/

• CommentAuthorNo One

Oh, I thought it said Labyrinth, not Pan’s Labyrinth.

Is it good?

Is it good?

It is awesome.

• CommentAuthorNo One

What’s it about?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

You could just go watch the trailer…

A girl in wartorn Spain gets told by a faun that she’s actually a princess. And to go back to her kingdom, she has to do a few tasks. Here’s one of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I just watched Sky High. It was predictable, silly and kinda pointless. That pretty much sums it up.

• CommentAuthorNo One

You could just go watch the trailer…

I don’t watch trailers. Plus I’m not a big fan of using Youtube either.

And thanks Marquis for providing me with description of the movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Just watched Pan’s Labyrinth.

FFFFFF am in shock. FFFFFFFF.

Utterly amazing.

• CommentAuthorNo One

If it’s a R, can’t watch it.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

YESH JENI. IT IZ SO GOOD.

And why be depressed? It’s happy in the end!

It’s R and for good reason. The story line and graphic bloody nature is at least ‘eww’ and at most grotesque. I loved the Fawn and exposed-brain thing. It was awesome. :D

Depending on the movie, I might be able to convince my parents to let me watch an R rated movie. Then again, they were kind of displeased when I saw Inglourious Basterds on the plane…

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010 edited

And why be depressed? It’s happy in the end!

Because when it first came out there were a lot of doubts…

Depending on the movie, I might be able to convince my parents to let me watch an R rated movie.

Depends if your parents have a thing about violence. It’s violent, but not unnecessary violence.

The film takes place in Franco’s Spain. They weren’t nice people.

Depends if your parents have a thing about violence.

Eh, I’d think they’d be okay with it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010

@ Marquis

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

After seeing The Lightning Thief; Spanman is absolutely correct.

Also, they messed with the book’s plot a little more than I thought (and hoped) they would.

To be honest, I was never expecting much out of the movie.

I was just pleased (read that: less disturbed) to see Logan Lerman not looking as androgynous as he usually does.

I really need to read the book, but I’m gonna wait a month so I can actually get it out of the library.

Just watched The Sting last night. Classic awesome movie. Ya fallah?

Anybody think Valentine’s Day looks just like Love Actually?

Les Miserables: Tenth Anniversary Cast in Concert. I LOVE that movie so much. It’s just… awesome.

And has the best damn Javert ever.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Mansfield Park. It’s pretty good except Edmund could stand being a little more of a man.

@ Marquis De Carabas

After watching that clip, I know that I must watch that film.

Perhaps buy it. Because that looks like a good use of money.

@ Marquis: But-but it has Taylor Swift! And Taylor Lautner! IN THE SAME MOVIE!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010

OMG I <3 Taylor squared!!

I don’t know how they’ll be able to focus on any one couple with any appreciable depth when they have about five or six of them.

I was horrified and screamed rather disappointed when a friend told me that Taylor Swift plays a “floozy” (read: shallow and slutty) sort of character.

Does anyone want to say she’s wrong? pleasepleaseplease

@ SnowWhiteQueen – Yeah, that was weirding me out until I remembered that one should never trust trailers.

I am speechless. I just watched Blade Runner and… Wow. ‘Twas absolutely amazing. 8D

I watched Blade Runner and ABSOLUTELY HATED it. TERRIBLE MOVIE!!!! All that blood and gore--I'm going to have nightmares, I'm sure of it. BAAAAAAD!

But it kept me from doing homework, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much, right?

@hymd: I'm sorry to break it to you, but yes, Taylor Swift does play a "floozy" character. But she looks pretty while doing it?!

@RomanticVampireLover

I am speechless. I just watched Blade Runner and… Wow. ‘Twas absolutely amazing. 8D

I know. My favorite movie of all time.

@lookingforme

I watched Blade Runner and ABSOLUTELY HATED it. TERRIBLE MOVIE!!!! All that blood and gore—I’m going to have nightmares, I’m sure of it. BAAAAAAD!

There really isn’t that much violence; I can think of maybe three graphic scenes (Tyrell’s, Pris’s, and Zhora’s deaths), but that’s about it. Besides, how do a few scenes of violence render the entire movie terrible? The acting, cinematography, dialogue, music, special effects, and general atmosphere are amazing.

Lookingforme, I am never watching sci-fi with you ever again! EVER! Oh my God, he’s giving a passionate speech, WHAT IF HARRISON FORD DIES?! Gawd.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010 edited

Tomorrow?
    I’ve been watching it online, up to episode 11. The quality isn’t great, but it’s better than waiting!

Watched Seven Samurai. While the pace is slow, the characters were fun to watch. Overall, I loved it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I love that movie.^^

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Saw Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, and Sweeney Todd last night. Loved all of them, but Shaun of the Dead was a bit slow.

Seven Samurai is my favorite movie that I never watch. It’s fantastic, but watching it can be a grueling experience. Every time I’ve watched it, I go to sleep right after since it wears me out somehow.

Sweeney Todd! I love that movie so much. :D

I saw about half of East of Eden last night.

It’s funny how James Dean can be a prowler and I’m not totally repulsed by it (a la Edward Cullen). Maybe it’s because Cal is definitely not supposed to be perfect and other characters do find him unnerving.

Watching Zombieland right now. <3 Emma Stone.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2010

Emma Stone.

:3

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

8D

The Ken / Barbie moment was great.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I’m excited.

Toy Story is one of my favorite movies. So many awesome moments as as child.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

This will be another awesome moment for me as a child. 8D

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’m glad this trailer came out, it reveals a lot more depth to the story than previous ones.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Indeed, I saw some pics of the Purple Bear from Lego Toy Story sets, but I had no idea who he was.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Kill the heathen.

brings out the wicker man

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010

BURN ‘EM AT STAKE.