Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

If I could give myself any accent, it would be Australian.

I love Australian accents. They’re really hard to imitate too, for me as and American anyway. I can saw a few words that sound sort of Australian-ish, but actual Australians would probably laugh at me.

EDIT:
    And I forgot to say this about Avatar. “Unobtainium” is the stupidest name for the mineral/element thing they are trying to get. It’s like the people who made the movie sat and around and said, “What can we call it?” “Well, it’s they can’t obtain it. It’s, like unobtainable.” “I know! Let’s call it ‘unobtainium’!” The audience will never make the connection. They’ll just think it sounds cool.”

About the unobtainium thing, I think it’s supposed to be a joke.

Yeah, that was probably not the actual term for the thing.

And anybody heard of this Confused Matthew guy? He’s the harshest critic I’ve seen so far. He even considers films like The Lion King, Incredibles, Spirited Away, The Prestige, and a bunch of others to be garbage.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010

I think it was named that for a number of reasons.
    It’s a joke; it’s likely that a large proportion of the production team are familiar with TVTropes. It isn’t an actual substance, so the writers aren’t bound by real-world properties. Not specifying the properties also ensures that the audience can’t guess what it’s going to be used for, which, along with the name, emphasises that the purpose of the mineral is irrelevant to the plot of the film, as the substance’s only use is as a plot device to demonstrate the extent and negative effects of human greed. Giving it a more original name would mark it as a distinct mineral, so using the most generic name possible further draws attention to its own unimportant nature.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

British accent, yes. But which dialect?

I’d take any, but I’m rather partial to the more Northern accents.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010 edited

If you listen to me speaking Chinese, you'd agree that my Aussie accent is very thick and makes everything I say in Chinese sound like a really bad joke.

Anyway, I was wondering why I don't like Batman Forever. Is this movie considered good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

No. It was lame because I have no sense of humour.

Is this movie considered good?

Vader’s answer. Hell, everybody’s answer.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2010

bq. I’d take any, but I’m rather partial to the more Northern accents.

Go Yorkshire.

And I forgot to say this about Avatar. “Unobtainium” is the stupidest name for the mineral/element thing they are trying to get. It’s like the people who made the movie sat and around and said, “What can we call it?” “Well, it’s they can’t obtain it. It’s, like unobtainable.” “I know! Let’s call it ‘unobtainium’!” The audience will never make the connection. They’ll just think it sounds cool.”

When I heard it, I totally thought they were joking. “Wait, wasn’t this on TVTropes?”

It’s a joke; it’s likely that a large proportion of the production team are familiar with TVTropes.

Thaaaar we go. And SnowWhiteQueen, yeah, I hope.

Ok, for our spring choir concert, I have heard tell that the theme might possibly be Academy Award winning music.

I have one thing only to say.

LORD OF THE RINGS!

afjkhsdfkjbfskafjbh
    I IS SO JEALOUS!

Well, like anyone will listen to my suggestions, except for the other 3 LotR nutters in my choir. We don’t really have much say in picking what music we sing.

Last things I watched:

Cinderella Man (Because Russell Crowe is hawt), About a half hour of Incredible Mr. Limpet (very disturbing), Three Mystery Science Theater 3000 movies, A half-our or so of Little Women (I got bored), The Buttercream Gang, Several Twilight Zone Episodes…

And Schindler’s List.

Granted, most of these were watched for the Lulz….. Except Cinderella Man and Schindler’s List, which are geniuenly good movies.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010

Timeline. XD Lame but so much fun. Besides, Gerard Butler with the right accent is extremely swoony.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

So, for the whole Sherlock Holmes thing, they were surprisingly true to his character. Fight scenes aren’t rare in the books(Aye, I have four different volumes, the novel, and seen every version of Sherlock Holmes), and despite popular belief, the hat he is commonly depicted as wearing(Can’t think of the name) was actually equip with him was only given to him in an illustration.(I can remember the name of the illustrator, the illustration and all, but FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CAN’T MEMBER THE NAME OF THAT TYPE OF HAT!). Sherlock did smoke both tobacco, and a hallucinogen, because he got bored between cases. Sherlock has a disdain for women- something never fully expounded on, but he was quite upset when Watson married. Again, if memory serves, Watson actually married a woman who came in for a case.

I’m just a little freaky about Holmes.

That being said, I can’t wait to see that movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It’s…a deerstalker!
    Didn’t Holmes also have an on/off love interest? I should probably read more Holmes.

Not really. Maybe he’s a little bit fascinated and frustrated by Irene Adler, because she’s the only woman who ever outwitted him. But I think he’s pretty celibate.

(In the movie, I believe, there is a little more of the love interest thing going on.)

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Moldorm:

I bow to you!

SWQ: I would say so, but not really consuming or all. Just an interest in her mind…

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I have got to watch Sherlock Holmes! I’m not as much of a Sherlock fan as I used to be (I discovered Agatha Christie and there was no going back), but I still read almost every single one of his adventures—maybe all of them, I don’t remember properly any more. But yes, some people were talking about the fight scenes as if they weren’t being true to the original, and I was like “...what do you mean by that?! Sherlock Holmes is ridiculously strong, a very good fighter, and randomly shoots up his apartment walls for fun. Fighting is perfectly in character for him!”

I can just remember that one where the father of his one client (or stepfather? Or was it her employer? I don’t remember any more… it really has been too long since I read them!) was trying to impress him by bending the poker in half. And then Holmes calmly bends it back straight.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010

That was awesome.

I officially dislike Grease. I watched it a long time ago, thought it was ok, not worth all the fanfare people gave it, and absolutely HATED the ending (still do), but I watched ten or fifteen minutes of it on VH1, and now I have no idea how anybody puts up with it.

I was watching the part at the drive through, where Danny tries to feel up Sandy, and obviously she’s angry and walks out on him. Then, Danny proceeds to sing (horribly) a (horrible) song about how he has no idea why Sandy’s hurting his feelings like this.

Jerk.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010

:O I love that movie.

I’m not much into musicals (but I do want to see Tommy and The Wall, and maybe Rent. I liked Wicked too. Other than that, though…)

I officially dislike Grease.

I don’t like it either, but I hate musicals. The only two I like are The Wizard of Oz and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the old one, of course). I’m not including certain Disney movies that could be considered musicals (Lion King, etc.), though I do like some of those.

Grease has to be the most innuendo-laden movie I’ve ever seen.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010

I like Howl’s Moving Castle. And Spirited Away. I’m a huge fan of japanese animations. They rock.

I officially dislike Grease.

Me too, and perfectly, it’s the musical we’re doing this year. I am seriously considering not being in the pitt.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010

Howl’s Moving Castle.

Read the book. :/

it’s the musical we’re doing this year.

NO WAY US TOO! /sarcasm

Grease is so overdone. I’m tired of it.

• CommentAuthorMorvius
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010

I was wondering about Sherlock Holmes. Is he really that quirky in the book? I was reading some summaries of the series and he really does seem like that. But some reviewers are just giving the movie poor review scores because they felt that it wasn't Holmes. Then again, I always had a different kind of Holmes in mind too (despite not having read the books).
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010

Hey guess what? My school is doing Grease for the musical this year.
    The difference between you and me is that this pleases me. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010 edited

Saw Avatar last night. It was Pretty Awesome, especially in the area of visual awe, but otherwise it reminded me of Pocahontas. XD

Now, annoyingly, I’ve been inspired to go Commune with Nature. How bothersome.

*hums “Colors of the Wind” *

The last thing I watched was Gladiator. Which I love, despite it being so historically innacurate. Because Russell Crowe is HOT.

Anybody know if Doctor Parnassus is supposed to be any good?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010

My sister saw it and said that it was 1) unsettling, and 2) not all that great. Just passing on the message.

>It’s a joke; it’s likely that a large proportion of the production team are familiar with TVTropes.

Actually, the word was around long before TV Tropes even existed.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010

There existed time before TVTropes? D:<

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010

Unheard of!

• CommentAuthorsimian
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010 edited

I saw Daybreakers. It was pretty sweet as the vampires killed the s—- out of stuff. It could have used less of Willem Dafoe’s bad accent, though. And more action. But then everything is improved by more action. In a perfect world, Twilight fans would mindlessly flock to it because it had vampires and then be mortified. But they’re not THAT silly.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010

The Return of the King was what I watched yesterday. It was the cherry on top of a most wonderful weekend.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010

Family and I watched The Shawshank Redemption tonight. I feel like I should read the book now.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010

D: I LOVE THAT FILM SO MUCH.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010 edited

_The Hurt Locker_

Two words: AW SUM. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys tension, war films, solid acting, and great character arcs.

There existed time before TVTropes? D:<

Well, I guess before we evolved opposible thumbs, we couldn’t really type….

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

If you mean keyboards didn’t exist before opposable thumbs, yes, but you can type without thumbs. Spacebar is the only problem.

If you mean keyboards didn’t exist before opposable thumbs, yes, but you can type without thumbs. Spacebar is the only problem.

Yeah. we couldn’t even have computers until electricity was invented, at any rate.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

My sister types without thumbs. For some odd reason.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

And what’s your point? (not Spanman.)

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Oh hey, I type without thumbs too! It’s called hunt and peck typing.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Did you ever learn how to type properly?

Hunt and peck takes forever. I remember when I had to type like that…it was bloody annoying.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’ve never typed that way, but oh well.

Yes, typing was a class in both second and third grade. I hate the “proper” typing method, it’s too clumsy. I hate having all my fingers on the keyboard at once. I type with my forefingers only, and I do around 88 words per minute.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’m somewhere between COMPLETELY WRONG and okay. But I can go fast, so…

And for the record, I did learn how to type correctly, but it never stuck. What taught me to type efficiently was, I’m ashamed to admit, chatting on gmail. XP

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I can pull clear up to 110 depending on how cold my hands are.

•  
      CommentAuthorsquidget

I’m a pretty slow at typing. I had to do a computer program in 3rd grade that was supposed to teach you how to type, but I was terrible at it. And the computer teacher scared me. She always said that if we didn’t get to the last level of “type2learn,“we would fail 3rd grade. ={ I didn’t fail, but I never learned how to type properly either…

Anyway, I just finished watching Back to the Future. :)

Has anybody here seen Pink Flamingos?

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I don’t type with my pinkies or ring fingers, I mostly use my first two fingers for everything. However, I still have can type around 84 WPM. The teachers tried to break me of my horrid typing, but they can’t stop me. =D I type efficiently, not correctly.

After our final, we watched an adorable film in Chemistry called ‘The Red Balloon’. Aw, warm fuzzies.

I don’t know how you two-fingered people can type anything at any reasonable rate.

...That said, I only ever use the left shift key, even for letters on the left half of the keyboard. The right one may as well not even exist to me.

^^ Same.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010

Until this moment, I’d never even considered using the right shift key for anything.

I use the right shift key about once in a blue moon. But I agree with sansa about two-fingered typists. The other way is SO much faster. Do we all get to boast about our WPMs?

Anyway, speaking of movies, I saw The Prestige, which was good in a way, but it sucked because

Then I saw The Matrix. And I was just like, “Woah.” That shootout at the end of it was the coolest thing ever. I loved that part where the guy’s like ‘remove all metallic objects’ and Neo just opens his coat to show that he’s bristling with handguns. That’s gonna live in my mind forever. There were like a few plotholes, so I wouldn’t call it the best movie ever, but it certainly was the coolest movie ever. Also, because there was a bunch of shooting and cool moves and kung fu, but barely any blood. I get all squeamish and sad about the people who died if I see blood or anything graphic like that.

I know I’m babbling; sorry.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

The Prestige was awesome because of that Steph, duh.

And I’ll be snobbish and say you’re supposed to use the opposite shift key for what hand is pressing the letter so you don’t have to twist around and everything. I find it works easily, I don’t even think about it.

• CommentAuthorRocky

Ok, seriously, I need to say it again: _The Hurt Locker_ is fantastic. Go see it. Best film of '09.

The last things I saw:

Little bits and pieces of Monty Python’s Meaning of Life (Mr. Creosote is the most digusting thing I’ve ever seen)

And the movie Luther. 2003 version with Joseph Fiennes. Which is rather good for a religious movie.

Yeah, I want to see The Hurt Locker.

Saw Beauty and the Beast on YouTube last night. Disney, what happened to you?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I’ve been watching that film in English classes recently, and I love it. It reminds me how much I need to binge through Disney’s back catalogue…

Even the lyrics for the songs are rather clever.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Is Princess and the Frog a return to Disney’s former greatness?
    If it does well, maybe they’ll go back to fairy-tale-based animated films, and take their focus off this newfangled live-actions rubbish.

Is Princess and the Frog a return to Disney’s former greatness?

Yes.

• CommentAuthorRocky

bq. Yeah, I want to see _The Hurt Locker_.

Have your lightsaber handy. You'll need it to cut through the tension.

I’m re-watching Jurassic Park, the staple movie of my childhood for the first time in ten years. It still rocks. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010

I’ve never seen any of them. Or Indiana Jones.

The first one was good, don’t bother with the second or third.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Jurassic Park?

Hopefully. While Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best, Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade are still pretty good. And though it definitely doesn’t compare to the previous three, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is nowhere near as bad as the fanboys keep claiming.

Yeah, JP. I never saw all of the Indiana Jones movies, except the fourth, which was probably not the best place to start. XD

I’ve only seen the original Jurassic Park, and I don’t think I want to spoil my memories by watching the sequels. I have seen Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Temple of Doom and they are both true classics.

Now the marathon continues with Inglorious Basterds! I love being home alone.

Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Temple of Doom

I find your lack of Connery disturbing.

I find your lack of Connery disturbing.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I’ve been meaning to see it for years, I’ve just never had the chance.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

While Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best,

Pfft, no way. Everyone knows Crusade is the best. It has SEAN CONNERY. 8D

I’m with Jeni on this one :D

Oh, I really want to see Inglorious Basterds! And Beauty and the Beast rocked. The only thing that spoiled it for me was that Belle looks a little bit like Bella Swan.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

But Raiders of the Lost Ark has melting Nazis!

The only thing that spoiled it for me was that Belle looks a little bit like Bella Swan.

Hey, you can’t blame her for that! B + B came out years before Twilight! In fact, I kind of think of Belle as Bella- as she should have been.

• CommentAuthorRocky

I--I think I'm going into shock! Someone that hasn't seen ANY of the Indiana Jones films?

Seriously, watch them. Start with _Raiders_. They're all great flicks, and extremely fun _without_ being stupid. They're classics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I know that, just never got around to them.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010

Man, I’m so glad I ignored the naysayers, I adored Avatar, it was executed beautifully.

...I’m teetering on the edge. I’ve been disinterested for so long, and the hype’s been making me all cynical, that everyone’s going to be all ‘haha I told you so’ if I go and find out that it’s my favorite movie ever.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010

I don’t particularly care about boycotting the hype of anything. It certainly didn’t prevent me from going to see New Moon on opening day for the lulz.

Well, see, my reasoning was always ‘well, if I’m not interested, why shell out 8 bucks?’

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010

find out that it’s my favorite movie ever.

Don’t worry, I don’t think you’ll think that, the story isn’t strong enough. :D

Watch Blade Runner: The Final Cut. Best sci-fi movie ever filmed.

Also try Das Boot. It’s about the crew of a Nazi submarine.

The Meaning of Life. It’s so funny, but so messed up. Definately the most offensive Monty Python film. Not my favourite (Life of Brian is the best.)

Got DVDs of Moon and Reservoir Dogs, so I might watch them sometime soon.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010

bq. Got DVDs of Moon and Reservoir Dogs, so I might watch them sometime soon.

Let me know how 'Moon' is. Been curious about that one.

I didn’t like Meaning of Life that much. The lead-in short was absolutely killer, but in the movie proper it seemed like they were just trying to be vulgar, instead of being funny.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010

I think Flying Daggers is a bit… too fast for me. And rather sad. But it’s almost…. for the lack of better word, crazy. Argh, it’s like, there’s something missing from the story… Or… too fast…

I think it’s clear that I don’t know how to describe it. It’s… growls in frustration Arrgghh! It’s like something’s missing from the movie and the story seems a bit too fast. I mean, falling in love in 3 days? And then dying on the fourth or fifth day… rrrrrrggghh