Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009

Seen any movies lately? Good ones? Bad ones?

I just saw The Hangover. It was very funny. Better than I expected it to be.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

I saw the 2006 version of Pride & Prejudice the other day, for like the 20th time. You can make fun of me all you want. I don’t care. I adore that movie.

I saw Aliens yesterday. The fight scene at the end was really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009 edited

I saw Edward Scissorhands today for the first time, it was awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

I saw the 2006 version of Pride & Prejudice the other day, for like the 20th time. You can make fun of me all you want. I don’t care. I adore that movie.

I liked it, too.

Shh.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009

I just saw The Dark Knight. It was AWESOME.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009

Yes, it is. I watched Batman Begins earlier today, and now I’m listening to the fantastic Dark Knight soundtrack.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009 edited

The Kid, with Bruce Willis and Spencer Breslin. I’ve seen it so many times but I never get tired of it. XD

EDIT: and watching Banlieue 13 right now. So far it’s looking pretty badass. Parkour is amazing.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

Just watched the newish Friday the 13th. Decent, for a horror movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009 edited

Yeah, so Banlieue 13 was amazing. Partly because I’ve never seen a French film before besides Joyeux Noel, partly because French sounds incredibly awesome, partly because it especially sounds awesome coming from pretty people, and mostly because I’m such a sucker for action films. Nevermind the farfetched stunts. >>

So anyway. I just watched The Mummy Returns. CGI has come a long way since 2001.

I saw Year One today, it wasn’t very good. But yesterday was The Hangover, and that was absolutely hilarious. Without giving anything away, I will say that the end credit sequence blew my mind.

Edward Scissorhands = WIN!! Loved that movie. It’s the only thing that kept me alive on an airplane. I recently watched Slumdog Millionaire, but I didn’t like it that much… Too cheery. ;)

I loved Edward Scissorhands!

I watched the beginning of Slumdog Millionaire in my cousin’s house but didn’t get to finish. Didn’t seem all that cheerful to me. I want to finish it, though. Without my brother around, because he kept on pestering me with questions when I was trying to watch the movie. Although, because I’m Indian, I did laugh at the Amitabh Bachan part extra hard. ;D

I also watched My Fair Lady, which was very nice. I love Audrey Hepburn, but it would have been nice to see Julie Andrews in the role of Eliza Doolittle.

And then the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I’m not quite sure how I felt about this one…the end was very sad. (I cried. What’s up with me?! I never used to cry during movies, but now it’s one after the other, I’m turning into a waterspout. Urgh)

Amitabh Bachan — Oh yes, I was laughing my head off at that bit. I love how they never showed his face… ;) The ending was the happy bit though… My Fair Lady = WIN!! I love that movie, and most movies with Audrey Hepburn. :D

Oh yes, and on that note, I went to this wax museum in Paris and saw a figure of Shah Rukh Khan. I was laughing my head off, and my friends thought I was having a seizure. ;)

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

But yesterday was The Hangover, and that was absolutely hilarious. Without giving anything away, I will say that the end credit sequence blew my mind.

XD Yeah. God I love that movie. Alan was so hilarious. What he was making the baby do at the table was one of the funniest things I have seen in a while.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009 edited

I watched the beginning of Slumdog Millionaire in my cousin’s house but didn’t get to finish. Didn’t seem all that cheerful to me. I want to finish it, though. Without my brother around, because he kept on pestering me with questions when I was trying to watch the movie. Although, because I’m Indian, I did laugh at the Amitabh Bachan part extra hard. ;D

The reviews LIE. It is not cheerful. It is 2 hours of murder, poverty, and thievery. But it is a good movie, at least in my mind.

The first part opened up with the police torturing him and so I immediately abandoned all thoughts of a cheerful Disney movie. (discounting Pirates of the Caribbean, of course)

The ending is cheerful though. SPOILERS:

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

I went and saw the Transformers 2 midnight premier with some friends. It was awesome. Not much for plot, obviously, but the action was very good.

Oh, and I saw Serenity. Which was also awesome.

I saw Eraserhead yesterday (trippiest film ever), and then I went and watched Transformers: ROTF today. It had some great fight scenes, but everything else ranged from subpar to cringe-worthy.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

Saw Imagine That yesterday with my sister. It was pretty funny but very forgettable.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlackwolf
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009

the 'SAW' movies, excpet the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th(?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlackwolf

Hangover was the bomb!

Red cliff rocks!

I saw Terminator Salvation few days back. It was awesome. Not in the way the first two Terminator movies were, but in its own, post – apocalyptic, mindlessly – destructive way. Plus, you can NEVER go wrong if you put Christian Bale in a movie:P

•  
      CommentAuthorBlackwolf

Very true, empress. bale is a superb actor. if only he could manage his...anger.

Is anyone going to see Public Enemies? Johnny Depp and Christian Bale on the same screen sounds like almost too much awesomeness to bear.

Last night I saw ‘The Nightmare before Christmas’ for the first time. Yes, I’m behind the times! It was very nice though. I liked Sally’s Song a lot.

This is Halloween is my favorite from the movie.

cries Public Enemies does not show in our theaters for another few weeks! Such unfairness! But on the other hand, at least I can fully prepare myself for, as you pointed out, SWQ, for the sheer awesome of seeing Christian Bale AND Johnny Depp on a single screen.

And dont worry, you are not behind times:) I havent seen the movie until recently either. My favorite song is Jacks Lament, the character and feeling that Danny Elfman puts into the song is just unbelievable. Glad you liked it:)

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I like the Christmas Town one. And also only saw it recently.

Yes, Jack’s Lament was very nice too. :D

Jack is so adorable- just the way he’s animated is so cute.

•  
      CommentAuthorBlackwolf

Devil wears Prada was cool. Meryl Streep was awesome in it... but then, I'll watch anything with her in it.

I kind of laughed during the part where she’s lecturing about how important fashion is…

I fell off the couch at that point… ;P

I was scared

I’ve never seen that movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009

3:10 to Yuma was the bee’s knees.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009

Saw Public Enemies yesterday. It was good.

Really? While my mom and sister see it, I might have to sit with my brother watching Ice Age 3. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

They made another one?

:P

Yes. With dinosaurs, which is why my brother is insisting on seeing it even though I’m 95% sure it’s going to suck.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Didn’t all of them suck?

First one wasn’t bad, but there shouldn’t have been sequels.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

But the dinosaurs came before the Ice Age…
    This is why I hated Dinosaur and its lemurs.

There’s some weird thing about a dinosaur being trapped in ice, and then the ice melts. Of course, the people of Ice Age did not take into account that being frozen in a block of ice for a few million years will kill even a tyrannosaurus rex, and melting the ice will not bring it back to life.

Yay, scientific inaccuracies!

The idea is that the dinosaurs were frozen in the ice. Yeah.

Although, I’m pretty sure that they’ve found at least one frozen dinosaur in the Arctic.

But it still won’t leap forth from the melted ice cube alive and kicking!

True, it was very dead.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Jane Austen Book Club made me want to start a book club. Also I saw most of Definitely, Maybe and didn’t like it too well. The only redeeming thing about it was Abigail Breslin, who is adorable.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

Although I’m going to grumble incessantly about possible racism in the casting of the Avatar movie, I’m still eagerly awaiting it.

How did they cast the Avatar movie. I think I read about it before, but I don’t remember.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

There’s a Avatar thread, and I think I linked the cast in there somewhere.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I liked Ice Age 3 (especially Buck and the dinosaurs).

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

The main actors (Aang, Katara, Sokka, and Zuko) all white, except for a swift retcon where they cast an Indian actor for Zuko. It was going to be Jesse McCartney, though. Jesse McCartney!!! For Zuko!!! It would have been terrible.

I haven’t seen the show, but I’m pretty sure that they are mostly Asian, right? And I don’t really think Jesse McCartney should be cast for anything.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, it’s all heavily Asian-influenced. The Airbenders are Tibetian Buddhists, the Water Tribe are Inuits, the Fire Nation are Chinese, and the Earth Kingdom are something I don’t know. Korean? Thai? Cambodian? A mix? The lightest people are the Air Nomads, I’d say, but the Fire Nation aren’t too dark either. But mostly everyone is some shade of color. Which is why I think it’s retarded that they’re casting white people…

Although, the kid playing Aang looks OK. Aang is pretty light-skinned anyway.

Yeah, I agree. They should cast people that look like the characters. They should at least choose characters of the same race.

I saw something on a Maximum Ride forum where someone was upset that no one was suggesting Asians for Max. They said it was racist. Well, Max is white, so it’s not racist.

t’s kind of funny that people complain about that, but when the characters are actually Asian they cast white people. That’s just stupid… and kind of racist.

Why do they do it anyway? Do they think that the white actors will be more appealing or something?

White actors are annoying when they play Asian characters. It’s like making Harry Potter black just for the hell of it. There doesn’t seem to be a reason.
    Maybe there are well-know white actors in the movie, and that’s why they did it, for more publicity.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

No… There are not many well-known actors in the movie at all. I’d attribute all possible casting mistakes to M. Night being a retard.

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009 edited

I think people who complain about discrimination in movies are as intelligent as a box of rocks.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009

Transformers 2 was painful to sit through, somehow they made two hours of explosions and innuendo feel like four hours.

The Hangover was hilarious. ‘Nuff said.

Benjamin Button is a movie everyone should see.. I’m not normally a Brad Pitt fan but he rocks in this one.

Valkyrie was alright.. Tom Cruise gets annoying but everyone around him is fairly good.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@CB – I’m not complaining about discrimination (which may actually have taken place), I’m complaining about the portrayal of one of my favorite TV shows of all time. They aren’t white, and that’s sort of the point, so why cast white actors? I don’t mind Aang so much, because he is fairly light in the show, but Katara and Sokka are Inuit. To cast them as white is just… well, there’s plenty of capable Asian actors out there. Why not cast someone who actually looks somewhat like the original character?

Re: Transformers 2 – explosions are Michael Bay’s specialty, though! How dare you insult him! :eyeroll:

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I was more annoyed at how bad an adaptation it was.

I’d attribute all possible casting mistakes to M. Night being a retard.

Night’s doing the movie? He’s really gone down hill. He used to be so good.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow

XD Yeah… The last 3 or 4 movies he has done were complete shit, so I feel really bad for Avatar fans.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Saw Minority Report yesterday for the first time (yeah, I’m behind) and thought it was a bit… I dunno, all that stuff about the eyes made me incredibly sqeamish. Otherwise it was pretty good.

Yeah, Minority Report is very good.

As long as we’re talking about movies based on Philip K. Dick stories…

BLADE RUNNER BLADE RUNNER BLADE RUNNER BLADE RUNNER BLADE RUNNER (the final cut)

M. Night. Shamalabayamanumabundun made one good movie: The Sixth Sense. Pretty much it.

Signs had a good atmosphere but he fucked that up too.

I like Signs… and Unbreakable was pretty good.

Watch more movies then. It’s the only cure.

I just saw Up, and it was so, so good. Made me cry, made me laugh… it was amazing.

@CB
    I watch a lot of movies. And if you think those are bad, then you should watch more movies. There are some really aweful things out there.

Clearly not enough old movies just a lot of new movies so your view is distorted by lack of diversity.

Maybe so. What do you consider old? Just curious.

@ WiseWillow- yes, I’m not the only one who cried during Up!

I like old-timey movies, although I haven’t seen nearly enough…

Movies like Chinatown.

Well you may be right then because I don’t usually watch things that came out before the eighties. I have seen some though. And not all old movies are good either. I’ve never seen Chinatown. The last seventies movie I watched was One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

• CommentTimeJul 8th 2009 edited

I hate to tell you I told you so but I told you so.

Fact: Ratio of good old movies to old movies is several magnitudes higher than the ratio of good new movies to new movies.

Actually, disregard that. I love to tell you I told you so.

I don’t usually like old movies made before the seventies because the acting tends to suck. I know that there are crappy actors now too, but most of them are more believable than in older movies. They are either really wooden or over the top. There are a lot of actors who weren’t like this, but just as many who were. The storyine has to be really great to overlook crappy acting.

• CommentTimeJul 8th 2009 edited

Wow… I have no idea what to say…

I was going to say something about enrolling in the University Of Real Life and majoring in Realism but my brain has just short-circuited due to what I have just read. Give me a moment.

Wow.

@ Neurotic Platypus- Could you give us some examples of bad acting? Because from my (limited) perspective, I always thought it was the other way ‘round.

@SWQ
    It’s mostly really old things. A lot of the acting is similar to that in the orignal Twilight Zone. Some of those people are good actors, but a lot them aren’t so much. It might not always be the acting either. It could be that the script doesn’t sound natural. I don’t know. I do think that a lot of today’s acting is bad also, but I’ve just found more good actors in recent movies than old ones, but my experience is also limited. I don’t know if these are great examples, but The Great Gatsby and The War of the Worlds had some bad acting. I haven’t seen the latter for a while, so I might be off. But I remember that the female lead wasn’t very good. The Great Gatsby was really just… ugh. I really haven’t seen that many older movies, so maybe I’ve only seen the ones with bad acting. I thought that To Kill a Mockingbird was well-acted. Even the kids were good.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

Platypus! You’ve been severely deprived!

Can’t say I watch the same sort of old movies as CB, but there’re quite a few out there worth watching. My goodness. Question! Have you watched any musicals from the ’50s? Any at all? BECAUSE YOU NEED TO RIGHT NOW. I suggest Singin’ in the Rain for starters. Mmhm.

I really wish I were a gen x-er. Generation y and z suck nuts.

@Spanman
    Maybe I have been deprived. I’m not really into musicals. The only ones I like are Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and The Wizard of Oz. Do you have any non-musical suggestions?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

Wait Until Dark, Sabrina (didn’t actually like this one too much), Roman Holiday, Rear Window, Gone With the Wind, most Alfred Hitchcock films…

All I can think of off the top of my head just now. Have you really not seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or My Fair Lady? Because those are really terrific. D:

I will try to check out some of those. I did see The Birds. I wanted to see some other Hitchcock stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009

My Fair Lady is great! I love that movie.

And of course there’s Mary Poppins and Sound of Music and all those other oldies but goodies.

I never liked My Fair Lady… in that movie Audrey Hepburn grates on my nerves.

Jamaica Inn is good! Ditto for Psycho!

I liked My Fair Lady as well, as well as all the others that Spanman listed (haven’t seen Wait Until Dark, though- I was going to at my aunt’s house, and then we didn’t for some reason.)

Gone With The Wind is a classic.

As for the Wizard of Oz…that’s one movie I actually think they should remake.

I saw The Phantom of the Opera – my eyes were moist
    I saw Miss Potter – a single tear.
    I saw Tuck Everlasting- quite a few tears.
    I saw The Notebook, bawled my guts out.

All within the last 24 hours.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Why have you been bingeing on movies?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

@SWQ: You must watch it! As far as old creepy movies go, it's exceptional. ^^

Wait Until Dark, you mean? I’ll have to get my little paws on it sometime.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Please do. ^^

I saw Bruno today. Not as good as Borat, but still pretty funny.

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009

I saw Bruno, too. I liked it. Possibly more than Borat, not sure yet.