Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009

Which is worse? Twilight or Inheritance?

I say Twilight, because I think it has the potential to have more long-lasting ill effects on society. Also, Stephanie Meyer has been turning out books faster than Paolini. And the series is going to have at least 2 movies of it made, if not all of them.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

Inheritance. I think Stephenie Meyer is a better writer than Paolini, and her uses of purple prose don’t bog down the entire book. Brisingr and Breaking Dawn are both overlong books, but the latter flows much more nicely and it’s easier to read.

Also, at least Twilight’s original.

Twilight. The fangirls scare me.

Twilight. If I read one more sentence about how soft Bella is, I will scream. And as I reread Eragon in order to post to Eragon moves to the Valley, I found myself getting warm and fuzzy flashbacks.

Then I beat myself over the head with Eldest to remove such blasphemous thoughts.

Twilight. At least I could actually get through Eldest and Brisingr by poking fun at the same old fantasy fiction tropes.

I'd have to go with Twilight because it created zillions of crazy obsessive fangirls and it getting more movies than Inheritance. It's also a romance series which I detest, while I like the fantasy genre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Twilight. Inheritance fans, for the most part, aren’t rabid. Many even acknowledge that they aren’t the best books, and several even realize CP isn’t 15 any more. On the other hand, I’ve met about three Twilight fans who aren’t rabid.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I’d say Inheritance is worse, regardless of the fanbases. Inheritance is a trial to slog through. At least Twilight is somewhat entertaining, if only in a completely cringeworthy way.

•  
      CommentAuthorAmelie

Twilight, because at least Inheritance was too nerdy to create the absolute tidal wave of pop culture grossness that Twilight has.

• CommentAuthorMorvius

Twilight for me. It was painful trying to read it (I stopped). This is most likely due to Bella's character. While Eragon was enjoyable. Eldest was boring. And Brisingr...was a mess.

I’d have to say Inheritance, based only on the books themselves. I could get through Twilight and found it mildly entertaining. Eldest was over for me when I predicted all the major plot twists before I finished the first quarter of the book. Fan-wise…well, Twilight fans are definitely worse, but fangirls are always terrifying.

Twilight. At least Eragon doesn’t romanticize anything… Oh wait… elves… ;P

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009

Inheritance, but I’m a traditionalist. :P

Twilight. Hands down. I can actually read Eragon and not get nauseated.

- rabid fanbase who have no sense of reality, try to stalk Robert Pattinson, want vampire bites, etc – unhealthy relationship messages – anti-gender equality – lets girls think they can act like Bella (as in do nothing, whine, etc) – overly sexual-without-being-sex scenes that twelve-year-old girls really shouldn’t be reading. – the characters weren’t fleshed out enough, the effects of their vampirehood not really explored. Wasted potential. So sad.

But one thing- people are criticising Meyer for writing ‘Mormon propaganda’ with the whole virgin vampire thing. Well, a writer’s morals, ec, are displayed in their writing. One can’t blame her.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

How is Twilight “Mormon propaganda”?! Don’t most relatively devout groups believe in no premarital sex anyway? /offtopic

<off-topic>It is classified as such by some people because she is in the limelight. And yes, yes they do.</off-topic>

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus

I used to enjoy Inheritance. I can’t say the same for twilight. And, of course, Twilight’s fanbase is more obnoxious by far.

Oh, yeah. I still do like Inheritance. Which I may have mentioned before.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Twilight.

(It was a smoother read then Eragon. :P)

@Steph

What could possibly be the reason then?

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Twilight. The fans scare the shit out of me, and them being tween girls doesn’t make it any better.

@ Dan:

Oh, you know. The whole idea of it, before I was indoctrinated, seemed pretty cool. And I like the infodumpy detail for some reason. Plus I don’t feel sick when I’m trying to read it.

@Puppet:

Oh, yes, Edward was VERY smooth. But I know what you mean. Paolini’s sentences are a little jolted sometimes.

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2009

Twilight’s a smoother read than Eragon.
    But that’s like comparing cyanide to suffocation as a method of suicide.

Cyanide. But Inheritance.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Oh, yes, Edward was VERY smooth. But I know what you mean. Paolini’s sentences are a little jolted sometimes.

I may change my mind, I haven't read Eclipse or Breaking Dawn yet. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Don’t read Breaking Dawn if you don’t have to. It will kill a little piece of your soul.

• CommentAuthorJinx

Twilight

I think mostly because I'm a guy and for all its many faults Inheritance had those "epic" battles and all Twilight had was Bell and Edward staring at each other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

Eragon, after I read that Twilight article on Cracked.com I changed my mind, because at least Paolini isn't a messed up weirdo (yet), and the Twi-tards scare me.

Ooh, that’s hard.

On one hand, we have Twilight. The first two books I devoured. I enjoyed the first book, and moved on to New Moon, but the enchantment was wearing off. I raised my eyebrows multiple times and giggled when I was supposed to be sympathizing with Bella’s angstiness. I read Eclipse but it bored me and I didn’t bother with Breaking Dawn. We also have stalker boyfriend, doormat girlfriend, cardboard characters, and the mushiest purple prose I’ve read in a while. (Ari’s Purple Thread rivals, though!) Plus rabid fangirls.

Then we have Inheritance. Eragon, in a similar way to Twilight the book, was fun and easy to read. Quite enjoyable, though with numerous flaws that we’ve discussed to death. (Yes, Murtagh is worth twenty of Eragon) Parallel to Eclipse, I read Eldest and was bored. I didn’t bother reading Brisingr.

Because my experiences with these two series were so similar, it’s difficult to choose which one is worse. I’d have to say Twilight, just because at least Inheritance isn’t fooling any people into what the ideal relationship is. There is no Eragon worship that I know of. (But there might be Murtagh worship. However, it’s probably a minority, unlike the mass drooling over Edward Cullen.)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

(Plus, Murtagh is actually a relatively interesting character with flaws and drama and whatnot. Poor boy doesn’t get any breaks… Eddie, on the other hand…)

Twilight all the way. An entire day of ranting about how despicably wrong everything about that book is would not be enough. Inheritance I can laugh at:P
    •  
      CommentAuthorCorsair
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009

Twilight. Inheritance is just stupid, but Twilight is so damn creepy and offensive at the same time.

Twilight. I intensely dislike the general message, how Bella is only defined by her romantic attachment, how there’s no personality, and how the fanbase obsesses over pairings (the next time I see a Team Edward or a Team Jacob shirt, I will scream. I don’t go out into public anymore ._.). Even the most rational people I know just like the fact that there’s no premarital sex and they just say, “oh, it’s a clean book for my daughter.” I’ve seen 10 year olds reading Breaking Dawn. :’(

I’m less exposed to the Inheritance fanbase, and the people I know who are fans are actually pretty pleasant. They don’t get mad when I say I don’t like the books.

With Eragon, it was the fridge logic that got me. With Twilight, I hated it the whole way through.