Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009

So I joined yesterday and posted a introduction: http://www.inheritanceforums.com/index.php?showtopic=49601

I think Jesper's post was perfectly reasonable except for the fan-fic part. :P
    So I'm asking for a list of questions you guys would like me to ask on If. Remember, keep it civil, or I'll get banned. :P
    There are actually some incredible Inheritance fanfics out there, better than the series itself. I would reccomend Opifex's series: http://fanfiction.shurtugal.com/viewseries.php?seriesid=120

If nothing else, definitely read From White to Black, which details Galbatorix's backstory and is an absolute epic. She's also published and currently writing a series, which I personally would eat up. So yeah. Just sayin'.

Back on topic though, trust me when I say you're not the first to try to get through to the folks at IF. They're either young and ignorant or old and retarded (old by the standards of IF meaning university-aged). Eh, good luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I didn't think there where any good fan-fics because I've had some bad experiences with them. :P

Sturgeon’s Law applies here.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Are you referring to Sturgeon’s Revelation?

Why don’t you check the trope title again?

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

The trope mentions how Sturgeon’s Law (“Nothing is always absolutely so.”) is often confused with Sturgeon’s Revelation (“90% of everything is crud.”).
    In this case, the Revelation seems more relevent.

Oh, true.

Semantics. And they both mean just about the same thing.

Hey, I joined just before I read this thread.
    Together we will fight the power of rabid fans!

and hopefully not get banned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Okay, whats your user name? :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Heh, if you guys talk about Eragon like you do on here, you’ll probably get banned pretty fast! I’d go troll some Twilight forums, but I’m too scared after reading that xkcd strip… remember, CP was homeschooled. He probably knows the Internet. Unless you want Book Four to be a crossover with Eragon going on 4chan… ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Hmmmmm I think that trolling Twilight forums may be more beneficial. The fans there are more rabid and more massive. xD

Okay, whats your user name? :P
    X
    Same as here. But my account hasn't been activated yet.

I’d go troll some Twilight forums, but I’m too scared after reading that xkcd strip… remember, CP was homeschooled. He probably knows the Internet. Unless you want Book Four to be a crossover with Eragon going on 4chan… ;)
    X
    Or CP somehow works it out that Galby writes for Impishidea, so all the Eragon fans come and storm our forums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009 edited

I'm "Writer" on IF, I already read the rules of the forum, and posted reasons why I don't like Eragon but only two people have replied, and they've been ignoring it. :P

http://www.inheritanceforums.com/index.php?showtopic=49616
    Damn it, they still haven't acctivated my account!

Check your mail, the verification letter is probably sitting at the top of your inbox.

Or your junk folder.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009

Did you put in the right email address? I messed up that once… put “hotmail” instead of “aol”. Thankfully, no one had a hotmail account with that address, so I just created it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, check your spam box, because that's where I fond mine. :P
    I checked both places. It's not coming. This happens to me all the time. I usually have to e-mail a mod.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I've had several pretty bad experiences with IF...
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Really? Do tell.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

http://www.inheritanceforums.com/index.php?showtopic=49281&st=0

Wow, there's a actually a debate there already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

There used to be a whole separate Critique forum in an attempt to combat the flaming. But that was until too many fans became (effective) antis and the arguments had been repeated ad nauseum.

Looks like some people still aren’t bored of it. Yay.

For the most part, the fans are too young/think too immaturely to debate properly with anyway. Just read that thread linked for evidence.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

I read that thread. Now I want five minutes of my life back.

It won’t let me read anything. It won’t even let me sign up for an account.

Maybe I’ve been preemptively IP banned?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Did you (or someone else in your house) ever sign up there before and get banned? If so, they probably IP banned you. Most forums do.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009 edited

Quote from the forums on there:

Star Wars does suck. I actually really like Inheritance.
    The only things I don’t like is the Eragon is a Mary Sue and Nasuada’s becoming a tyrant.

WTF? Star Wars sucks? It’s the same plot as Eragon, and 100x better because it came first.

Plus… Eragon being a Mary Sue? How can you even say that you ‘really like’ a book series when the main character is a Mary Sue, with serious sociopathic issues.

I’m so happy to have my impishly impish ImpishIdea.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hmph. Probably some idiot ten-year-old who wouldn’t know good fiction if it hit them in the nose. stalks off grumbling about “kids these days don’t appreciate the classics”

UGH. They STILL have not verfied my account. I wanna post!
    Maybe I'll PM a mod....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009

@swenson: well, for starters, I got on the bad side of the mods pretty quickly, therefore falling out of any default favour long before I even came close to getting enough posts to get into Debate. No loss, really. It sort of annoys me, though, that they figured I preached old-fashioned morality because I'm homeschooled instead of because those are my convictions. Because of course only homeschoolers are prudes. Pfff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’m not homeschooled and I agree with old-fashioned morality. We must be just weirdos. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Well I am homeschooled (how is it that I’m so awful at getting my point across? Grrr), but they treated me like a little kid who hasn’t thought through her own convictions because of it. =( Anyway, with the help of other people who were nice enough to help me out, I wrapped up that particular argument, got out, and haven’t really been back since.

(late reply)

@swenson

>Did you (or someone else in your house) ever sign up there before and get banned?

No. That’s what’s so weird.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009 edited

Hmm. Odd. Maybe… brainstorms do you have a wireless internet connection? Did someone else use it and make an account and get banned?

OR DO THEY JUST KNOW WHO YOU ARE?!

Nobody has made an account from my house – not my brothers, not my sister, not my parents, and certainly not me.

THEY JUST KNOW.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

CREEEEEEEPY!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

DUN DUN DUN.

Yes. all verified!
    Now I just need to post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009

But what will you post?!
    Try to get in the monthly quiz. If you succeed, I will reward you with chocolate chip cookies, and d3 internets.

• CommentAuthorMorvius

"I don't see why people who hate the Inheritance Cycle actually are members of this forum! What's the point, and it makes no sense whatsoever. I think Inheritance is a great series, and I see very few similarities from it to Star Wars, Star Wars is piece of crap."

Okaaay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

O.o If anyone feels like trolling and continuing this little discussion, they should post the Eragon/Star Wars summary from one of the old II articles.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I did. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

You’re earned my eternal love.

• CommentAuthorMorvius

We need to prepare. They may launch an retaliatory attack on us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Do they know where we are?
    As long as everyone remembers to check for tracking beacons when leaving their forum, we should be alright.

• CommentAuthorMorvius

I am looking at one of the links and really... the counters basically consists of "Look hard enough. All books are derivative." or "Why do you come here if you dislike the books?"

If all books were truly unoriginal and derivative, I would have stopped reading a long time ago.
    "If you look hard enough, all books are derivative..."
    Yeah, sure. I'll grant you that, if you look hard enough. But you don't even need to look with *coughcough* certain books. They beat you over the head with it.

Screencapz plz. I’m blocked from the forum, remember?

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009 edited

“If you look hard enough, all fiction is derivative…”

Because, clearly Blade Runner and Hamlet are identical, in every sense of the word.

Blade Runner was a movie, though. And you really can’t call it an adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, as they differ in more ways than they match (Deckard has a wife, for one).

But, yeah, it’s still a valid argument.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

Who’s talking about books? I’m talking about Blade Runner and Hamlet

“If you look hard enough, all books are derivative…”

Ya, I mean, they’re all printed on, like, paper. Be original, kk?

:D

Instead of being printed on paper, books could start being like projected onto surfaces. Like those infrared keyboards that project a picturey thingy of a keyboard on the table and u tap the pictures and it detects what "key" you are "pressing". The same concept could be applied to books where you project it down and tap the top or bottom corner to turn the page.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Skip projections, we should just tattoo them onto our skin. Save the trees.

My first post:
    http://www.inheritanceforums.com/index.php?showtopic=49778
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009

Minor typo in your post title. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009

I created a new account because the site was being screwy, so now I'm ImpishPuppet on IF.
    (I tried Puppet though they said that was taken, but when I searched the users I didn't find anybody called "Puppet")
    Minor typo in your post title. ;)
    X
    DAmn. I can't fix it, either.

Yes you can. Edit the subject line.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009 edited

QUOTE (metalhead @ Jun 14 2009, 11:37 PM) *
    I wish Paolini would have been original and not based it on the star wars plot, and all of the books are extremely slow. Paolini tried to make it as epic as LoTR but failed badly.

True, he did base the cycle too much on the Star Wars sega, but do not most great books, the cycle not included, come from other ideas? CP did great with Eragon, something fairly fresh and original, but at the same time it was the same old song and dance. Young boy without parents goes on a quest to destroy an evil king. Pretty much Star Wars, and If you think about it, far more similar to Harry Potter.

Comparison:

Star Wars:
    Young man without father (and pretty much no mother for most of it) grows up, learns how to wield a light saber and the power of the force (sort of like magic) and seeks the destruction the evil sith lord.

Harry Potter:
    Young man minus parents plus magic equals the destruction of voldemort: a dark lord or however.

Eragon:
    Young man grows up without parents, learns magic, seeks the destruction of the dark king Galby.

Very similar indeed..

End quote.

I really don’t see how Harry Potter relates to Star Wars.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009

The reason they think it relates is because all of them follow the Hero’s Journey. The Matrix & The Lion King [I think] follow the same thing too. But they’re all radically different in their plot, setting, and characters. Except for Eragon and Star Wars, that is.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009 edited

Here’s what one person said about Harry Potter and Eragon:

Okay I pulled together a list of differences and similarities between Harry Potter and the Inheritance Cycle.

Similarities

-both main characters are boys

-both boys are charged with saving the world or freeing it

-both books enemies are smart and ruthless

-both are basically parentless

-brought up by relatives

-evil person trying to rule the world

-mentor(s) was killed

-magic

-mental power (might be classed with magic)

-resistance group (Order of the Phoenix/Varden)

-more then one race in it (elves/house elves)

-both have dragons

-female as other major character (Hermione/Arya)

-war happens in each book good vs evil

-trios in both (in IC Eragon, Saphira & Arya in HP Harry Ron and Hermione)

And what I said in reply:

-both main characters are boys

-both boys are charged with saving the world or freeing it

-both books enemies are smart and ruthless

-both are basically parentless

-brought up by relatives

-evil person trying to rule the world

-mentor(s) was killed

-magic

-mental power (might be classed with magic)

-resistance group (Order of the Phoenix/Varden)

-more then one race in it (elves/house elves)

-both have dragons

-female as other major character (Hermione/Arya)

-war happens in each book good vs evil

-trios in both (in IC Eragon, Saphira & Arya in HP Harry Ron and Hermione)

Well, yes, but almost every fantasy book until very recently has most of these elements.

As opposed to Eragon & Star Wars, which is too long to list.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009

I agree.

You were wrong in your statement there, Puppet. Galbatarix mind-screws with Oromis in the third brick. I don’t know if he appears in person, but there is definitely some interaction.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

It was just a voice, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

http://www.inheritanceforums.com/index.php?showtopic=50039

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

^^ The thread where I shamelessly stole stuff from ImpishIdea. xD

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

You?

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I’m Rhianna on there. Annoying everyone with my questions about the series that just end up portraying it in a negative light. xD

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Well, that explains a lot. :P

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Uhg, I hate how that forum is so untidy, you can’t see a thing, and everything seems out of place.

•  
      CommentAuthorOverlordDan
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009 edited

Teeheehee.

This is the correct response. Its like a think bomb went off in there! :D

But remember, you’ll have to read Brisingr in full before I can talk in full about that particular scene to you. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

My brain has died.

Alright, he got inspired by the plot of Star Wars. I won’t deny it, but I don’t see anything really wrong with that. I still think it’s a great story. It has a lot Star Wars doesn’t have, like dragons, and a fantasy setting instead of a sci-fi one. If that’s enough to make me like Inheritance a lot more that Star Wars (which I do), that what’s the real problem with similar plots?

Lesson of the Day: Guess what, kids? There’s nothing wrong with stealing!

Hurrays! :D

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I know, right?

I have this AWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEESOMEEEEEEE IDEA planned. It’s gonna be lyke this story where this short guy who sparkles in the sunlight finds a magical piece of jewelry, and he has to destroy it in an evvvvvvvvvvvil fire in an eeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvil mountain in an eeeeeeeeeeeeviiiiiiilllllll land that is ruled by an eeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvillllllllll vampire that sucks people’s blood.

Look at me! I’m a child prodigy at the age of 16. I’ll just say I started working on it two years ago. I can’t be bested by Pao-Pao!

•  
      CommentAuthorCorsair

I used to be a big thing over there. I was the God-Emperor of Trolls and Roleplaying, with my primary competition being EyesOnly, who was arguably the biggest moron I have ever met. If I recall correctly, he hated Inheritance but loved Dragons: Lexicon Triumvirate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009 edited

I have this AWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEESOMEEEEEEE IDEA planned. It’s gonna be lyke this story where this short guy who sparkles in the sunlight finds a magical piece of jewelry, and he has to destroy it in an evvvvvvvvvvvil fire in an eeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvil mountain in an eeeeeeeeeeeeviiiiiiilllllll land that is ruled by an eeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvillllllllll vampire that sucks people’s blood.

Look at me! I’m a child prodigy at the age of 16. I’ll just say I started working on it two years ago. I can’t be bested by Pao-Pao!

That’s lame conpered to my story, it’s about a poor orphan named Nogare who lives with his cousin, and one day he finds a big diamond in the forest while hunting, so he brings it to his uncle, but it turns out to be a dragon, named Arihpsa, he then becomes a dragon knight, and is bestowed the duty of protecting the buitefull lands of Aiseagala, then he finds out that bad poeple killed his family, so he goes with the fool from the village and kills them, before joining the rebel force called the Nedarv, he also picks up a elf name Ayra, and a human named Hgatrum, then he fights a shade called Azrud, and fights an army of Lagrus.

NO WAI!!!

Let me give you all of my monies!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

You spelled Arihpas wrong.

STFU YOU DUNT SPEK TU TEH OUTHER LEIK TAHT!!!

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

NU U STFU B4 I CAL POLIZ!!!!

NUU DUNT BAN MEEZ PLZ!!1!!1 :O

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

OK I DUNT BAN U I JUS KIL U

I IZ IN LIBRAY NOW SO KK BIA!!

I used to be a big thing over there. I was the God-Emperor of Trolls and Roleplaying, with my primary competition being EyesOnly, who was arguably the biggest moron I have ever met. If I recall correctly, he hated Inheritance but loved Dragons: Lexicon Triumvirate.

EyesOnly was a big douchebag, but I can’t remember who was worse of the two – him or Aaron? I seem to remember them both being of equal douchebaggery, but Aaron was friends with the administration so had more leeway.

I still recall EO’s lightsaber physics and someone’s complete annihilation of his retardation.

Link plz.

This was like, 2 years ago. No way I’ll ever manage to fish it out again.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009

More quotes from that crazed place:

I like the similarities between LOTR and IC. To me, its a deeper understanding of characters and races between the worlds and brings some cool ideas to mind if the books are read again.

bashes forehead against wall Some people aren’t even worth trying to convert.

Where is the deeper understanding of characters in Inheritance, pray tell?

• CommentAuthorMorvius

Don't you know that the Inheritance characters are extremely deep? Statements like "Eragon may be the most deadly man in Alagaesia but he was not a hard and cruel man." This is excellent characterization! And Eragon is such a philosopher. The sentence "The songs of the dead are the lamentations of the living" made so much sense!

Anyway I got this great idea for a book. It tells of a farmboy who grew up in a desert. His parents disappeared and someone dropped him off with his uncle and aunt. The boy finds a man lying by the road. He is injured and dying. The dying man passed him a letter and tried to tell him something before passing on. The boy wonders what it is and he finds a bangle inside. He returns home to find that his house has been burnt down. Then an old woman finds him and takes him away. The bangle is actually the One Bangle, forged by the Dark Lord and it has the power to enslave Umlautis (The name of the country). Then he embarks on a journey, while being pursued by cloaked menaces who were once men but were consumed by the Dark Lord. Turns out the old man is actually part of an ancient lineage and that the boy is the Chosen One. Their mission is to destroy the Bangle in the pits of River Doom. Along the way they form the fellowship. Oh, it will also be a trilogy!

This plot in my opinion is perfect! Is it derivative? No. All works are derivative. Anyway it is clearly different.

Title Ideas:

Brotherhood of the Bangle
    A Couple of Towers
    Hey, Guys, The King’s Back!

:D

• CommentAuthorMorvius

Hmm...I think for the love interest, it is this girl who always keeps a hood on at all times. She only removes it at night. Then it is revealed that she is an elf. And elves in my universe drink blood. And they can be identified by the way they sparkle in the sunlight. Waaait... I shall make the main character a female! And make the love interest an elven male. Who is just so gorgeous the Stars of Ivundalisaka pales in comparison to his beauty! That way, I can catch the Twilight crowd too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

But I don’t have enough monies to buy all of these books.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009 edited

The sentence “The songs of the dead are the lamentations of the living” made so much sense!

I think that line is stolen from Waiting for Godot (not verbatim).