Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    This is what I said:

"Ernest Hemingway and William Faulkner once had an exchange on word usage. Faulkner argued that Hemingway “never used a word that would send a reader to a dictionary”. Hemingway replied with this:

“Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don't know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use.”

I believe he is right, and would honestly rather read something told very plainly and simply than something with a lot of adjectives.

However, I would like to ask what you think. Do you think it’s better to use a lot of big words that may exhaust and confuse your reader, or small words that get the point across but describe little?

-BR"

I feel utterly prentious for using a Hemingway quote (and I've ony read two of his books, anyway), but I think Mr. Ernest is dead right in this respect. I really want to see what Paolini thinks. (He'll probably give me the whole "lyrical beauty" BS, though..)

Anyway, if Monsiuer Pao responds, I'll let you know. Stay tuned. This could be epic.
    • CommentAuthorAdam
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009

Sorry to be pessimistic, but I doubt he will respond. :(

I heard somewhere that Mommy and Daddy go through his e-mail. but I figured it'd be worth a try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Good luck. I tried e-mailing him once and kissed his butt in it just so I could try to get an answer, but to no avail. Which e-mail did you use, anyways?

I e-mailed him at:
    Chripao29@yahoo.com

Which seems to be the real thing...I found it in several places.
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009 edited

If you’ve found it, it’s unlikely he still uses it.

Also, I doubt his parents read his mail, but there is probably a secretary who does.

Besides that, nice letter. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I tried that on Gmail, but it said that the email no longer exists. :(
    @ Shysly
    Thanks. I've known about that quote for quite a while, and have been dying to use it. Perhaps I can send a similar letter to Smyer as well.

@Puppet
    Well, it didn't bounce back to me. That's a good sign.
    But it also could be just some poor bystander who'll read and go:
    "Why the hell is someone e-mailing me about Hemingway?"
    • CommentAuthorCodeWizard

Hememngway hated expressing himself. Faulkner hated just shutting his goddamned mouth up. They both had serious issues.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009

I hate Hemingway, though. I mean, it’s not bad and he was a talented writer, but… I have no appetite for his particular style, and whenever I find myself tending to write like him, I stop immediately.

•  
      CommentAuthorRT3
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009

fitzgerald>hemingway>faulkner

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009

Never read Faulkner, I don’t think, but otherwise I’d have to agree. Fitzgerald isn’t too bad. Just depressing and everyone either dies or ends up unhappy.

• CommentTimeJun 15th 2009

fitzgerald>hemingway>faulkner

qft

well, good luck with getting a response. I will stay tuned, but I have to go with what the others think and say that I highly doubt he is going to respond. Even subtle criticism is still criticism and as we all know, he will have none of that:(

about Hemingway/Faulkner - I like them both, actually. They are good at their distinct styles and they present the story in a language that is suitable for its substance. Comparing the two is like comparing a pianist to a guy who plays bass guitar. The two are very different, but it is not the instrument that counts, its the talent and skill with which they play that truly matters:)
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009

But it’s precisely them staying in one style that makes them so dull to read continuously.

well, in that case you just have to mix it up a little:)

I like authors who can jump into any writing style they feel like.

pity there arent many of them

There are a few, but so many people give bullshit advice out there about how having a unique signature is important.

True there are one or two voices you fall in love with, but the best voice for the story is what matters in the end. I feel any competent writer should be able to juggle multiple voices and perspectives.

• CommentAuthorDrAlligator
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009 edited

a pianist to a guy who plays bass guitar.

We guys who play bass guitar are called bass guitarists. Just as guys who play pianos are called pianists.

/huff

I know more about dielectrics than music so lol.

sorry for that. i still have a bit of trouble translating my thoughts. things like that slip sometimes:) and I wasnt sure whether that is even a proper grammar form. anyways - thank you for correcting me:)

you play bass guitar? my brother does as well:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

I play bass! I quit piano because it was kind of awkward what with me being tall and everything. I guess I’m a little above-average for a bass player, but I was an absolutely massive pianist.

Er, used to. Now I only pick it up on occasion, but still.

... I forget English is a second language to you. Sorry about that.

@DrAlligator - no, dont be sorry! When I make a mistake I prefer to be corrected rather than left ignorant. Your comment helped me a lot:)

@RT3 - yeah, I took piano lessons for about 6 years and quit a year before graduating the music school because I sucked on such an epic scale I sometimes made myself cringe:P When it comes to musical talent, my brother is the one who got the full dose. Musical instruments are my eternal nemesis. That and European Law *weeps in desperation*
    •  
      CommentAuthorRT3

Oh. I was just making a penis joke. I mean, I did play piano for a bit, but I only switched because I wanted to do rock. xD

@ falconempress: oh? where are you from originally?

@ the music pplz: I want to learn bass. I love piano and guitar.

Slovakia but I now live in Prague, Czech rep:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAmelie
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009

I never thought I’d say this, but I agree with CB, who agrees with RT3. Fitzgerald is a pretty damn good writer. He can wax all metaphorical and uses colorful description well. Hemingway is the literary equivalent of saltine crackers. And Faulkner is the literary equivalent of an acid trip.

@RT3: Mmm, I understand what you mean. Roses on a piano just arn’t as good as tulips on an organ.

:D