Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Just because I thought it would be interesting. Mine are: Terry Pratchet, HP, LOTR, Neal Gaiman and George R.R. Martin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009

Song of Ice and Fire and Twilight.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

George R.R. Martin and Neil Gaiman. For starters.

JK Rowling

• CommentAuthorCodeWizard

JK Rowling is a person. A human being. With feelings.

How can you be so cruel!

I would have listed all her works but there are about 4,000.

So is this George blablabla Martin fellow for that matter.

The Harry Potter books beyond Chamber of Secrets. It’s not that I don’t like them; I’m just always busy reading something else.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I still haven’t read the last Harry Potter book, mostly because about half of the mp3 files are messed up. I have too many physical books already, and, being in college, I spend a lot of time listening to my iPod on the bus (it’s how I got through the first two books of the Old Kingdom series, and HP #5 & 6)

I have yet to read a Song of Ice and Fire... That's all I can think of at the mo'...
    • CommentAuthorSlyShy

I have yet to read books by Neil Gaiman.

Really? A tip, don’t read Stardust. You’ll never want to read his works again; I would start with Good Omens. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009 edited

Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman.
    Twilight.
    Little Women.
    Anything by Jane Austen.
    The Inheritence series beyond Eragon. I couldn't get through Eldest.

I understand why! ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Wah! I liked Stardust.

But besides that, no, haven’t really read any Neil Gaiman.

And of Terry Pratchett, I’ve only read Guards!Guards!, and am now starting on The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I’ve read only one of Neil Gaiman’s books – Coraline. And that was a few years ago, probably when I was in 7th grade.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Oh dear. Yeah, I've read Coraline, too. *headdesk*

That was good, and completely freaked me out. ^^

Ooh, I want to see the movie!

Twilight, etc.
    Neil Gaiman
    Lord of the Rings, etc.
    Watchmen
    Harry Potter 4+

Twilight
    Empire
    GRRM
    Anything by Terry Pratchett except Thud!
    Neil Gaiman

Twilight
    Lord of the Rings
    Harry Potter 1, 3, 4, and 6
    Any of George R. R. Martin's books
    The Post-Eragon Inheritance books
    Catcher In The Rye (though I will after I finish The Dark Tower)
    And a bunch of others I can't remember.
    Haven't read any James Joyce yet.

Also, I need to read Of Mice and Men.
    And The Sun Also Rises.
    Oh, yeah. I tried to make it through Ulysses last year. Failed miserably. But since nobody else has ever read it either, I doubt it belongs on this thread :P

Of Mice and Men is pretty good. But SAD!!!!!!

Joyce’s version or the classic?

Joyce.

I tried making it through Homer as well. Also failed.

Good I didn’t read Joyce’s either.

(Between you and me, I never saw the point of making the guy's work a classic just because he happens to use no punctuation in the last chapter. Couldn't make it through Oliver Twist, either. I was looking for descriptions of Fagin's teaching methods, but nope. But that probably shows ignorance on my part.

I think half the reason I couldn't make it through Joyce was that he replaced "quote marks" with _these_ and I really, REALLY hate that.)

He’s an artiste. How dare you question his arte.

Likee thise

By adding an extra letter at the end I sound sophisticamated like a Frenchman.

Yeah, I tried that too, but it didn't work. I'ma lookinga fora substitutesa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

wasa going on heresa? mesa sooooo confuzed.

Italians are violent tho. Don’t you watch movies?

Not all Italians are violent, you racist pig.

Of Mice and Men is pretty good. But SAD!!!!!!
    X

It's on my "To Read" list. Unfortunately, it's a rather long list...

See, Italians made Locke violent by mere mention.

Oi! I’m not violenta!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009

It’sa me! A-Mario!

Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchet, LOTR, Brisingr, A Song of Ice and Fire, George R.R. Martin, anything by Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, or the Brontë sisters (excluding A Christmas Carol and A Tale of Two Cities)... umm…

Song of Ice and Fire
    Stuff by Neil Gaiman
    Stuff by Terry Pratchett

And more…

• CommentTimeJun 21st 2009 edited

All these fantasy and sci-fi books/series except LOTR, Harry Potter, Hitchiker’s Guide.

Every time you guys talk about them I pretend you guys are saying “blablabla”. 0% loss of content.

Oh yeah, I haven’t read the rest of the Hitchhikers books after the first one. I might have read the second or third, actually, but since I don’t remember anything, I don’t suppose it counts.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

Fourth and fifth aren’t nearly as good. The first three are most excellent, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009

Did you know that apparently Adams was planning to write a Dirk Gently and Hitchhiker crossover? He was going to end both series, on a much happier note than he ended So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

It broke his heart.

Literally.

Eoin Colfer’s writing the last book in the Hitch-hiker’s Guide. (Which I also haven’t read, by the way.) I think it’s slated for this year or next.

•  
      CommentAuthorCGilga

...And Another Thing

Seems like an appropriate title.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009

Dune, still haven’t read Dune and don’t particularly intend to.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009

Dune, still haven’t read Dune and don’t particularly intend to.

Ditto. I just can’t get into it lounging around at the B&N.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009

I still need to read more of the series, but I really enjoyed Dune. You should try it. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009

I should. Also haven’t read any Tolkien at all.. the print and the prose.. oi, it hurts.

I lost my copy of Dune, but I have a PDF on my computer.

• CommentAuthorMnemone
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011

Read DUNE, do not read subsequent volumes -- the first book is a masterpiece of worldbuilding. You might consider reading some of Frank Herbert's other books, like THE DOSADI EXPERIMENT.

I do not care to read George of Martin.

Nor was I enthralled by Mr Durden and his exploits -- I couldn't stand it.

I'll get around to reading A CLOCKWORK ORANGE eventually.

I haven’t read ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ or ‘1984’.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

I admit that I haven’t read George R.R. Martin and probably won’t. I am starting to think there are two groups of people: those who read his books before the Game of Thrones made-for-tv thing, and those who pretend they did. Seriously, the number of people I’ve met who now absolutely adore the man and are all like, “Oh, I so read the books looong before that miniseries came out,” make me want to puke. I have nothing against Mr. Martin, but what’s wrong with admitting you didn’t read the book until seeing the movie?

what’s wrong with admitting you didn’t read the book until seeing the movie?

Absolutely nothing. I read LotR after the movies came out, but honestly, what else was I supposed to do? I was in elementary school at the time. There was no way that I was going to read LotR before watching the films.

This is just another form of literary snobbishness, I guess. It turns up everywhere, but it’s not the book’s fault! Extreme fans of anything are usually stupid. But if you like fantasy at all, they’re really wonderful books. Yes, they’re long and there’s lots of sex and violence…but I think it’s worth it.

In sum: ignore the stupid people, read the books if they interest you.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Dune is great. I read the next three books, and yeah, they aren’t on par with the original. The main series (the one actually written by Frank Herbert) is all fairly palatable, though. It only really starts to get nonsensical when you read the other books, because they often directly contradict stuff in the original series.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is great, SWQ. 1984 is good too.

I haven’t read LoTR, the rest if ASoIaF, Neil Gaiman (I tried American Gods, but couldn’t get through it), Dune, Huck Finn, and The Hunger Games.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Did you quit American Gods at That One Scene? :D

I nearly gave it up then. Probably should have, as I don’t know if the ending was really quite worth the trek. Ideas were interesting though.

What is That One Scene (I don’t mind if it’s a spoiler)? I think I got a little over halfway through and was just kinda bored.

Oh, and I haven’t read Discworld or Redwall either.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Okay, those you really have to read.

It’s the Coming To America moment about halfway through the book when the Palestinian businessman

I haven’t read Pride and Prejudice. I haven’t read any of George R. R. Martin’s stuff, either. I keep meaning to, but meh.

@Inkblot

I don’t remember a taxi driver, so I don’t think so, unless you the part where

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

No, that’s the other creepy one.

I guess I quite before the other one then. I don’t have a lot of interest in trying to finish it. I don’t remember what happened before really, and it was the concept of the book that interested me and kept me reading, not that actual book itself. And since you said that the ending is not even really worth it.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Basically, Shadow just escapes from America and says he’s “had enough of the gods and their ways for the time being”. It’s kind of a happy, hopeful ending, but I don’t know why, since he doesn’t really get anything except getting away from Odin and all the other crazies.

Same- the concept was what drew me. Similar to a lot of other books – I liked the way the words of the summary spun out in my head, not so much how they spun out in his.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea

Well, I’m afraid I don’t feel any more compelled to read Gaiman, from that description, though a lot of my friends love him. But I did read Good Omens, does that count for anything?

But I haven’t read The Hunger Games either, though I read a very interesting spork from someone who actually liked the books, but objected to the idealization of the material by critics (as I recall). Also, The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, which I don’t even want to read, though I may see the movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

But I haven’t read The Hunger Games either, though I read a very interesting spork from someone who actually liked the books, but objected to the idealization of the material by critics

Interesting. Do you happen to recall where you read the spork? I’m a fan of The Hunger Games, but I agree that it is nowhere near as awesome as the critics rave.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oh yeah, I stopped at That One Scene in American Gods. I didn’t really intend to, but I was like “...what just happened?” and ended up stopping not too long after it (it was late at night) and just never have gone back and finished it.

The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, which I don’t even want to read

what

i thought everybody loved sandwiches and graphic rape

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Not the 50 books you must read before you die

An excellent article, in my opinion. If you actually desperately adore any of the books on the list (and I’ll admit, there’s a couple I’m extremely fond of), just remember that it’s all in good fun. :)

I haven’t read American Gods, but Gaiman’s Neverwhere was fantastic. I’d try that one if you want to give him another chance.

@ Swenson: The article isn’t showing up! It’s an Error. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

i thought everybody loved sandwiches and graphic rape

Wait . . . sandwiches and graphic rape? Together at last? Why have I not been informed of this amazing phenomenon.

OK, no. Some times I wonder if authors write things just to see what they can get away with. >_<

If Steig wasn’t dead when these books were being published, they’d probably force him to edit it out.

no way larssen was straight OG when it come to sammiches son he would keep it in

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Harry Potter- tried first and third, but could never get into it.
    Nothing by Neil Gaimen- although I love listening to his interviews :)
    Terry Prachett- Started reading 5th Elephant, but never really got into it. Although, maybe reading on a bus with an overwhelming 'freshner' smell from the back put me off- band trip and someone took a dump early on :(

GRRM after the halfway point of Storm of Sword- finally got frustrated with the lack of sympathetic characters (only Barristan left and because he wasn't PoV) in addition to the Daenyrs plot that goes nowhere and has little connection to the rest (I assume it'll come together by the 7th) and the continued fascination with rape. I feel like GRRM took the totality of brutalness of the Middle Ages and tried to stuff it all in a couple years. Life sucked, but not THAT much. And after reading a couple feminists critiques, I would agree that as the impact of rape rarely is from the women's perspective it's more spectacle than horror (whether intentional or not).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I have to agree with you about aSoIaF. Seriously, there is way too much rape. Even Daenerys, the only female contending for the Iron Throne, was raped. And then she fell in love with Drogo, her rapist. That part kind of sickened me.
    Book-wise…Wheel of Time. Tolkien ripoff+I don’t have enough time to waste= haven’t read it. Even if it supposedly a fantasy staple.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011 edited

Oh yeah, I read the first book in Wheel of Time, but couldn't be bothered to read the rest. But for some reason, I liked Sword of Shannara- particularly finding that robotic thing from the distant past. I loved the concept as well as figuring out after some thought that I was actually reading about the ruins of old skyscrapers, but from a medievalist's perspective.

Also have not read First Wizard's Rule or whatever it's called Sword of Truth? Anyways, that one nor anything by RA Salvatore. Actually, my love of fantasy is pretty limited. Historical fiction is more my thing I think (with a couple notable exceptions *cough Tolkien *cough.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I have just discovered urban fantasy/steampunk. In particular, Borderland. I may be in love.

I've never read Wheel of Time books.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlueMask

I feel like I should read them, but i can’t be bothered.

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011

And then she fell in love with Drogo, her rapist.

Oh. My. Vishnu. I think I’ve found my valid reason for not caring to read George R.R. Martin.

drogo really doesnt rape her

of course its still gross because shes like 13 but she does consent

rape is still important to the setting though as a basic and ever present vehicle for people to dominate each other

the lack of sympathetic characters

jaime

drogo really doesnt rape her

He does in the TV series (a change that I did not like) but in the book I remember that GRRM went to great lengths to show that it was not rape and that they had a pretty good relationship, as far as the Crapsack World goes. It’s still a bit gross to think about in this day and age, but it’s definitely not the most perverted thing going on in there.

Make of that what you will.

As an aside, I’d like to say that GRRM is not some kind of misogynistic rape-fantasist. For the most part, his female characters are interesting and not just there for fanservice. They move the plot in important ways, just as the men do.

oh yeah i forgot about that

i just made a point of looking elsewhere whenever emilia clarke was naked

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

As an aside, I’d like to say that GRRM is not some kind of misogynistic rape-fantasist.

Hmm. Then I might reconsider. Although I hadn’t had any real intention of reading the books to begin with.

• CommentAuthorMnemone

The Borderland anthology? The artist of the comics in the most recent collection makes a very well-drawn webcomic at lutherlevy.com, about 18th century theologians and werewolves in Germany, called FAMILY MAN. She also made comics about vampires in the French Revolution (very silly vampires) at bitemecomic.com. It is sort of a prequel to FAMILY MAN, but the two comics are independent, and FAMILY MAN is much more serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Yeah, it was arranged marriage. Like sansa said, it wasn’t rape, it was consensual. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t gross, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

"As an aside, I’d like to say that GRRM is not some kind of misogynistic rape-fantasist. For the most part, his female characters are interesting and not just there for fanservice. They move the plot in important ways, just as the men do."

Maybe not, but the body count is pretty high just the same. Granted everyone get's screwed in GRRM's world, but very few if any of his women make it out alive or unmolested. And considering the other fantasy elements he added (zombies and dragons), keeping institutionalized pedophilia is still kinda gross. Drogo-Daenyrs what was she? 13? Dunno if it matter so much if it was 'consensual' Even still, it's more the eroticization of it that I find more disturbing. But that's just me. Lot's of people enjoy his work, so I'll just leave it at that.

its all in the game

•  
      CommentAuthorBeldam

Game of Thrones recently started showing on TV here (the show, obviously) and all of a sudden it’s become a mini fad to randomly swoon the name ‘John Snow,’ and talk about all the sex—but a friend of mine who got into the show fad also picked up the book and was impressed by how Martin keeps the story interesting and also keeps his POVs straight. I did pick up Game of Thrones in a bookshop at one point to read through, but wasn’t compelled past the point of where they all get the wolves. I’m very much one of those readers that have to be ‘grabbed’ in the first few sentennces—though an interesting section of prose is sufficient, rather than something very plot-relevant going down.

I need to read a bunch of those really famous but kind of old books. 1984, Ender’s Game, The Picture of Dorian Grey, stuff like that. Also, my friend (same as above) likes dystopian settings, so she keeps telling me to read the Book of Dave and The Cloud Atlas.

A Game of Thrones was sort of a slow start for me, so I can understand why you weren’t immediately drawn in.

I haven’t read Ender’s Game either.

Me either. /shame

• CommentAuthorDanielle

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (just never interested)
    The Hunger Games (started it, realized what the premise was, had nightmares. Then I heard from a friend that the series ending sucked, so I felt justified in never reading it.)
    A Wizard of Earthsea (couldn’t really get into it)
    Catcher in the Rye (have read passages, and couldn’t stand Holden’s whiney tone. I mean, I know he sort of had some good reasons for being all emo, but he’s inspired a half-century of wannabe-Holdens who just look at their wonderful lives and feel all depressed because it’s “phony.” Basically, I can’t stand his fanclub.)

•  
      CommentAuthorWulfRitter

Then I heard from a friend that the series ending sucked

Pretty much. I really enjoyed the first two books – they deserved a better ending than Mockingjay.

I have that book sitting right in front of me, and yet I haven’t touched it in months.
    Yeah, the ending did suck pretty hard.
    Earthsea was the one book that took me weeks to read because of utter disinterest.
    Actually like Catcher In the Rye, but it does get more praise than it deserves.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Earthsea was the one book that took me weeks to read because of utter disinterest.

Good to know I’m not the only one. I’ve tried many, many times to get into Earthsea, but I just get bored and forget about it for another few months.

The second book is the best- Tombs of Atuan. Didn’t really like the others all that much, although the worldbuilding was very interesting.

As for Catcher in the Rye, I related to Holden Caulfield. feels like a stereotypical whiny brat teenager

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling

Ah, Catcher in the Rye. It took me a month to read the freaking the book. I hated the meandering story telling where one event will remind him of something else which he'll tell. And I didn't at all relate to Holden.

However, when I taught it for my practicum, I actually really enjoyed it then. Several student thought Holden was identifiable and we had some great discussions on a variety of topic including censorship issues (Catcher is one of the most consistently banned books in schools.) Also talked about changing culture on swear words- a lot of students didn't pick up on the words that would've been considered offensive at the time of writing. The language is not really considered offensive anymore: chrissakes, etc and has turned into the gadzooks (God's Hooks) of the day.