Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010

You’ve got some very good basic steps started Brandon.

On your foreshortening piece, I see you did vanishing perspective lines but you didn’t quite follow them. When you do the vanishing lines / dot you’ll want to lay your objects right on them so they are straight and flat and proper.

As for your pieces above, they are very much in the right direction. They need cleaning up though, the ball is a lumpy and the cone and cube have couple of warped lines. Keep practicing smooth gradients (without using your finger), and always remember where your imaginary light source is coming from.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Brandon, read about 1, 2, and 3 point perspective. I think you have the basic idea of 1 point perspective down, so you are almost done already.

In the chairs you posted the reason they looked odd is because chairs are usually drawn in two point perspective, and then the lines will seem straight with each other.

Also, I think you are on the right track now, that is, learning the basics. I used to be frustrated at basically everything I did, because I would want to create this awesome masterpiece that I envisioned right from the start. But, of course, I never knew enough to do that.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Thanks, guys. It’s good to learn that I’m finally on the right track.

More sketches, one practicing two-point perspective, and another being a couple of inanimate objects:

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Good practice for perspective is to do a city block with some skyscrapers. Every little thing should have a perspective line on it, the sidewalks, benches, each window or windowsill.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Keep up the good work, Brandon. If you keep sketching different shapes it will be a lot easier when you try to draw humans later on.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

Humans are widely acknowledged to be one of the most difficult subjects, just because we spend all our lives looking at humans, so we are acutely aware of anything that looks strange. When I was doing 3D work it was over two years before I approached organic modeling. :-/

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

To tell you the truth, I find manmade objects and buildings much more intimidating to draw than organic things. At least with organisms you don’t have to worry about how perfectly straight or circular your lines are.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Yes, but straight lines are easier. Point A to point B. Organic objects are much more complex. Practice straight lines by using ruler first, then trying to draw straight lines next to it, then without it. Your boxes are very good, the sock and cortaid not so much. They have so many wrinkles and changes in perspective that they’re very hard to draw.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010

Aha! I found it! Artist Anatomy.com Everything on the site is free, and there are so many detailed drawings of musculature and skeletal structures at various angles and poses. Unfortunately, not all the downloadable tutorials are linked. sadness

Gray’s Anatomy of the Human Body is just an all-around excellent reference for human anatomy.

This site requires a subscription, but, from back when it was free so many years ago, I can safely say that they have a huge selection of high-quality references. If you’re serious about your art, the subscription is definitely worth it.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

More perspective practice from me:

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Hrm, good, but one thing. The building’s lines don’t match at the bends.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010 edited

awesome! Is the little square supposed to be one building seen from two sides, or is there some kind of street or alley hidden behind them? I ask because they are different-but-not- too -different heights, and I was wondering if that was intentional.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010

It might be a bit over generous to call this art, but I thought I’d get your guys’ thoughts.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited

Pretty. :D

The y looks too similar to the g, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Pretty… but it seems a little over the top.

What’s the font name?

I like it actually; I’m all for over-the-top fonts. ;)

I like it, but I agree about the y. It looks like a g.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

‘Tis actually hand drawn for the moment, but if I find a very good Fraktur script font I’d probably switch. Makes making the vector images a bit easier.

Yeah, I’m not wild about the y, so that’ll probably change. I’m still not sure about this kind of font vs. something more modern.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

I personally prefer older type faces; they have more character.

I think the y would be better like this:

I thought it was hand-drawn. :D What program did you use?

Oooh, so pretty! (I like over-the-top, at least for the main title of anything.)

Speaking of WaylaidWriter, how’s progress?

• CommentAuthorSlyShy

@Kyllorac, just the Gimp, because I’m too lazy to try out other options. Also, that is a surprisingly effective edit.

@Dan, for the moment my work on it is pretty slow. An hour or two a day, but I haven’t been getting the long blocks of time necessary to really tackle larger aspects of it. However, I recently had a breakthrough with my sentence tokenizer. I’ve gotten the error rate when reading Wall Street Journal archives to less than 1 error in 400 sentences. Since fiction generally uses less acronyms than journalism, I think the error rate will be substantially lower still when used on the site. For example, I was able to put my story Separation through the program without any errors, and it is fifteen pages long.

@Everyone else, thanks!

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010

For a friend of mine. :D I draw her all the time and she loves Owl city, so it was a fit. :D

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010

Wow, I like those sayings.

Great piece of artwork helvengurl!

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Thanks- They’re Owl City lyrics. :D

Owl City win!

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Thanks. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010 edited

I haven’t felt like drawing lately, so no new inanimate object studies or perspective practice today, but I did have a much more talented artist than myself do the following as a request from me:

Nubian vs Greek

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010

I went a little insane with watercolors(Which I usually don’t dabble in because I’m a fail with them) and my love for my favorite Manga crack-fic pairing- Break/Alice from Pandora Hearts.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

It looks so pretty! I don’t know the characters, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Thanks

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The scan made it kind of blurry, but oh well.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Oh, I’m deathly jealous anyways!

You drew that, Puppet? It’s adorable! I’m not an artist, but I do think that the face could use some improvement with the nose and all…I’d ask Kyllorac for specifics.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010 edited

Yeah, I went through several drafts of this drawing and every time I would mess up the face, it’s so small and hard to get the little details in.

Constrictive criticism is always appreciated. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

A quick note (I’m bloody tired okay), the face looks like its turned about 30 degrees from the right, compared to the rest of the head. From our point of view all you might see is some ear detail, but certainly not the nose.

Maybe get a model? That might help a lot.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Hm, I see your point, Virgil. Without the detail on the face to indicate which direction it’s facing the nose does look a bit like an ear.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

No, no you misunderstand me. I know thats a nose. But the head needs to be turned so all we might see is the ear, the face is bent too far to the right.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ohh, now I see what you’re talking about.

Now that I compare it side to side, the face on mine is a bit too big, you can just barely see her jaw, but other then that the hair mostly covers her face.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Much better (especially with the sharpening). Now you’ll want to move the nose down just a bit and push it further behind her head. Personally I think you shouldn’t see the nose at all, but you’ll want to play around with it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Hahaha, hell no can I draw that good. That was the original drawing I based mine on. xD

Hopefully with a lot more practice I will eventually reach this level, but practice, practice, practice.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

For instance, from the way the back of the head is shaped, the left line should be the eye direction (in perspective, looking into the distance), not the right line which is what you have now.

Oooh, okay, cheater.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010

Personally, I think the nose gives the head more shape, even if it is debatable where it should be. Without it the head would just be a plain oval, in my opinion.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

It would be, but the point of the drawing isn’t to see the face.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

True, but it also gives a sense of direction, here’s the full pic:

Without it, it would be harder to tell where she’s looking.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Makes sense with the rest of it.

This my text bear. I was inspired by the lovely text sharks in The Raw Shark Texts.

Cool! The teeth look a little off, but it looks really unique

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010

I did it for Dani in all of five minutes, so naturally it’s LULZ.

• CommentAuthorDanielle

I luff it. :)

....but why is there a sign on the ground that says “The Outhouse?”

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

It’s supposed to be the butt of the gun, and I named it the outhouse… XD

• CommentAuthorDanielle

Oooohhhh…..

Hehehehe! I would totally fight vampires with a gun called the Outhouse!

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010

After taking a few weeks’ hiatus, I’ve been doing some drawing again. However, most of it is too crappy to display here. Here’s the only two recent drawings of mine that I feel comfortable sharing with you guys:

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

The first one looks pretty good, Brandon. The only slight flaw is that the ring on the top doesn’t fit with the ring on the bottom, so it looks slightly warped. But other then that, you’re improving, Brandon. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Thank you, Puppet.

I really cannot wait for the opportunity to take some drawing classes. I want to know how the pros are able to draw what they draw. One area I’d especially like help in is breaking down complex and/or wrinkled objects (e.g. buildings, my backpack, sheets on a bed, etc.). Of course, if anyone here has advice pertaining to that, I will be grateful.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I’ve found recently that less is more. Sometimes the implication of a line or a fold or whatever else looks better than a full line. But maybe that is more of a style choice.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited

Pretty self-explanatory. XD

This is also a pretty good, basic tutorial.

I consider myself an above average artist but I almost never bother doing art and improving my skills. So looking at many of you peoples' pretty artwork saddens me because it makes me realise how bad I really am when I have the potential to be a lot better. My sister is so far above me. My dad, too. I mostly just stick to cartoony things. Well good job to a lot of the people who posted their stuff on this thread *thumbs up*. Maybe I should make a deviantart account and start trying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

Thank you, Kyllorac!

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I consider myself an above average artist but I almost never bother doing art and improving my skills. So looking at many of you peoples’ pretty artwork saddens me because it makes me realise how bad I really am when I have the potential to be a lot better

Ditto. I consider myself slightly above average, but not much.

In Humanities, we’ve been doing a unit on Impressionism and Post-Impressionism, so our teacher gave us a project: we have to replicate one painting of that era in oil pastel and then do a creative writing assignment about what it would be like to be inside the painting.

I’m doing Starry Night by Van Gogh and the art part turned out pretty darn awesome, if I do say so myself. (This is considering that I’m normally sucky at art.) I’m going to see if there’s any way I can figure out how to post a picture of it up here. But yeah, I just finished the art, so now I have to do the writing part. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010

I was just drawing and I ended up with this, which was a pleasant surprise:

Rape?

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Well, these are OC’s for a manga of mine I’m working on named W.O.N.D.E.R. (World’s Only Nanite Developed Electronic Reality) It’s an Alice in Wonderland crack-mixup (And the March Hare is so cute =^^= ) and I particularly enjoy these two. His name is Chester, but they call him Chez for short. He’s also the Cheshire cat. xD Her name is Cassie (or just ‘Cass’) and she’s the Queen of H.E.A.R.T.S. (Humans for the Equal And Realistic Treatment of other Species) and that badass scythe in the background is also hers. xD

Chez is one of my favorites. He LOVES to blow things up, sushi, and is a rash fellow. He also is incredibly sarcastic, and very protective of Cassie. Cassie is relatively young (17) and hates it when she’s treated like a kid. She’s a Hunter, which means she hunts down hackers and annihilates their Avatars. She’s violent, possesive, and gets very angry when you touch her.

Anywho, she got a hit from the Jabberwocky, and passed out for a while, Hatter (Also known as Aydyn) hacked into her avatar and healed it, she’s just regained consciousness, and Chez is yelling at her for scaring him, and somehow it has turned romantic and an almost-kiss, which will soon be interupted by March Hare (Whose name is Marsha)

Ah. It was the facial expressions that prompted my response.

• CommentAuthorDamselfly
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited

I never posted this before because there are some obvious problems with it, but this is one of my favorite floral designs that I've done:
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/154/e/2/Wedding_Arrangement_by_Kieuomo.jpg

It always ticks me off because after I brought it to the competition I was entering it in, I fixed a couple of the flowers and filled that rather blatant hole near the top of it, and it looked a million times better. I had a friend take a picture of it for me, but she never sent it to me...
    I'm embarrassed to say I've never figured out how to post things as images here on II.
    • CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited

Just put the url between exclamation marks

!Oh look a picture.com/ flower.jpg!

And the flowers are very pretty.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I haven’t posted any of my ‘real’ (read: not utterly horrible drawing) art in a while, so:

That’s really awesome, Virgil.

Done on Maya, if I'm not mistaken? Looks great as far as I can tell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010

Yep its Maya.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

I’m not sure if you mean for this to be a serious piece or not, but her anatomy seems way off to me. Her torso seems too long, her leg is at a strange angle, and her chest doesn’t seem to be formed… properly. I’m not an artistic person, however, so someone else could probably offer up better ideas than me. But I like the colors.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

Oh no, that’s page-barf. I posted for the LULZ. xD Her boobs are too far down, that leg should be turned, and her neck should me shorter/ (A bi problem is the corset is slouchy, so I really would have to fix that. )

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

One of my best friends drew and colored this ancient Egyptian character of mine for me:

I happen to like it a lot.

^^I think it’s quite good also.

I’ve got a request of sorts…
    Can someone link me to a site that can teach me how to draw…
    I’m pretty bad at drawing humans since I dunno a thing about structure (all my humans have max clothing to avoid needing to draw body parts :S )
    Similarly for other things (cars, trains, buildings, etc.) and also some stuff about perspective
    TYz in advance :D

Part of me regrets how I never took an art class in high school.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010

Here’s a landscape drawing I produced last night—-it’s not very good, but I had fun drawing it:

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

That’s AWESOME, Brandon!

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Excellent depth Brandon.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Ohh wow. You’ve definitely improved a lot over the past few months. That looks great, Brandon.

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky

I’m glad to hear that at least three fellow Imps like it.

I’ll do more cityscapes and architecture like this in the future, though next time I want to draw more rectangular buildings. Round-walled huts with conical roofs are too easy.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Nice, Brandon. I like it.

Nice job, Brandon!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010

This could be called art, in a sense.

Whee! pixel-art of my ancient city-fort, Bho.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtimaeus
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2010 edited

Here’s one of my sketches. Probably not that good, since I don’t really practice art that much. Hands are the bane of my existence. I’m using a photo as a model here so, I don’t know, do you art buffs consider that cheating? Anyway, here it is.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2010

Not bad… The arms look really awkward, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010

Lulz with me please.

I need something to alleviate the shame. :p

• CommentAuthorNo One

W…w-what the heck?

5 mins later

Oh, it’s a picture of…. a girl. A very girly girl.

flees

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Does… does that girl have four knees? Or three knees and a dislocated hip? Or two knees, a dislocated hip, and a broken ankle?

What is this I don’t even

Um. Nice use of colours, anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

It’s supposed to be her… Well, I don’t know what. The bottom was the way her legs connected.

Yeah.

I don’t know.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Looking away from the confusing mass, I can see the technique you applied is nice. While some parts are very weird, it’s OK when it’s not overwhelming or burning your eyes by pure size. (The picture is very big.) Nice colour combo, nice general shape… when you’re not looking critically. Maybe it would look better if it wasn’t so big. To me, that’s the equivalent of viewing the picture IRL just 50cm away from your face.

It’s OK. Now, since I don’t like girly pictures much at all…

runs away at top speed

•  
      CommentAuthorarska
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010 edited

Better but still fail. xD

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010

The leg that’s outstretched reminds me eerily of a certain idiot from Eyeshield 21…

•  
      CommentAuthorsquidget
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

...That’s really good, squidget. I think the back of the shell should be darker, but that is amazing.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Love the work on the flippers. :D