Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Started Hogfather by Terry Pratchett in celebration for Christmas.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009

Of course, swenson, of course. :P

I finished Percy Jackson and the Lightning Theif and I loved it! ‘Twas nice and light. :D Now I’m starting on The Sea of Monsters.

‘Twas nice and light.

Yep, exactly.

I’m reading a book on everyday Victorian life as seen from people at the time. It’s interesting, and I’m thinking of incorporating some of that stuff into my story.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009

I finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies today, and it was entirely excellent. :D

Really? I finished it yesterday and I hated it. I’m planning out my own version now—one that actually has a plot involving zombies instead of just mentioning them on the sidelines. Also, no innuendo.

Artemis Fowl stopped at book 3. The rest is a what-if story, and I stand by it.

It stopped at book 4, actually.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Yeah, I’ll agree that the plot had less zombie action that what the title and back cover synopsis promised, but I liked it that way, because it didn’t mess up the story, and it kept me interested the entire way through.

It didn’t for me. I was forever getting hooked on either the romance or the zombies and racing ahead through parts to find the next bit. Plus “the way his trousers clung to those most English parts?” He did this to Jane Austen? The man is going down!

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

I know those added very little to the story, but my oh-so-immature side totally giggled.

How will zombies be involved in your plot? (I’m intrigued.)

Well, for one thing, Lizzy’s going to try and hunt down the guy who’s creating the zombies—The Alchemist. He’s rumoured to be in the area of Pemberley, where Mr. Darcy lives. Lady Catherine is a famed apothecary, and the patroness of the zombie hunter Mr. Collins, who is ‘not a sensible man’, but zombies aren’t sensible either, so it doesn’t matter much. Also, instead of most of the balls, etc, they’ll be meetings and sparring practices of the British Zombie Protection Society. I’m not quite sure how Lydia and Wickham fit into it, but I know they’re both cowards.

Also, it’s going to fit in with social convention etc, unlike SG-S’s version.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

It sounds pretty good. :) I hope we get to see it when you finish.
    Are you going to keep the dialogue mostly the same, and events in mostly the same order? Or will you move it around to fit your version?

It stopped at book 4, actually.

But… But… The sixth one was the best… If only for the kiss I thought that was a universal Truth…

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009

SHUT UP I HAVEN’T READ IT YET. D:

D:

Damn.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Okay, all is good again, I just went out and bought #6 because I’m such a pushover.

BUT I HAVEN’T READ IT YET. So shush.

YOU FINALLY BOUGHT IT! AAAAHH!!!!
    Have fun. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009

I am reading Brave New World! I’ve been meaning to for ages, and now I actually took the initiative to try it… it’s not bad so far. I’m at the beginning of Chapter Two.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009

Have fun with that.

I probably should have posted this sooner, but I finished Nightlight (the Twilight parody), and am now about half way through Charlaine Harris’s Dead Until Dark (aka the book they based the first season of True Blood on. Literally, every episode of that season is one chapter in the book)

How was Nightlight in the end?
    Ooh, I finished The Sea of Monsters and now I’m moving on to The Titan’s Curse. I LOVE THE SERIES SO MUCH. But I’m a little upset because I don’t have the rest of the books, and I have to wait another three weeks to get them. D:
    Also, I just found this SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! I CAN’T WAIT! AAAAAHH!!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009

YAY

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Finished Moon is a Harsh Mistress. And it rocks. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009 edited

Almost done with The Time Paradox. It was weird and confusing, but still.

WASN’T IT AMAZING?! :D :D :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Just started The Gathering Storm! Yay!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

BLECH. << Re: Kiss.

Re: RVL’s link: NO WAIIII!!!! is excited Just 9 months!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

sigh

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

But still… issosweeeet.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Wait, wait, wait, what is going on here? Can opened, spoilers everywhere…
    I move for some hidden text please, seeing as how I haven’t read that book yet.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Seeing as everyone already spoiled it for me like a week ago, I figured I may as well follow suit. >= (

But okay! I’ll go back and hide some things. It might be helpful to someone in the future.

I’m nearly finished with part one Nikolai Gogol’s Dead Souls. Good book, but very strange….

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2009

Whoops! Sorry! I didn’t think to put it in hidden text…

I finished My Sister’s Keeper.

The ending sucked. It was such a deus ex machina cop out.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2009

I saw Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters in Borders today. I’m adding it to my reading list. It’s by a different co-author than Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009

I finally got around to finishing The Wheel of Time: Book 12: A Memory of Light: Volume 1: The Gathering Storm.
    Very little of interest happens in the first half, but the pace really picks up in the second. The events of the middle and final 10 or so chapters are probably more significant than the entirety of book 10.

I’m reading Stardust, by Neil Gaiman.

What do you think of it so far?

What do you think of it so far?

X

It’s very nice. It’s easy on my brain after Gogol.

But I like it. I can probably guess where the plot is going, though. The witch-woman is awesome. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009

I’ve been trying to get through my entire bookcase despite all the work I have and the school reading I have. First getting through the LeGuin books (there’s a lot of them) before tackling The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay again, and I’m also reading The Book Thief and The Great Gatsby (the latter for school).

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009

I’m reading The Great Gatsby for school also.
    The 12th Wheel of Time book is good so far, if a bit slow. I’m only on chapter 3 though. :)

I received Wicked! XD

There’s a funny story, too, but it’s far too early in the morning so don’t expect it to be coherent or remotely amusing.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2009

Excellent book! A little :O in some parts, but good.

I stayed up reading it and I’m not very far. I like it, but it is very :O in some parts.

Like the first page. But that’s good because you know what you’re getting into.
    Edit: OH JEEZ. It turns out that the person who gave me the book hasn’t read it. They have no idea.

Anyway, though. I’m almost done with the book. It got a bit difficult for me to follow politically, but, hey, I think I’ve got the gist of it? I’m not really one for politics, actually. So yeah. I like the writing style though. But at this rate, I’m going to have to buy the entire series. Book lust. DX

•  
      CommentAuthorRed Sky
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009

Dune, Wonder Boys, Lanark, and Language of the Night all got here today! _

And oh, wow, why haven’t I read The Book Thief until now?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009

•  
      CommentAuthorJabrosky
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009

Has anyone here found that reading a lot of books helps them become better writers?

I’ve been doing some reading lately, studying the prose used by published authors to learn how they write certain situations. Is that recommended?

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’ve been doing some reading lately, studying the prose used by published authors to learn how they write certain situations. Is that recommended?

Of course, that’s what I’m doing anyway.

Has anyone read The Black Tower by Louis Bayard? It’s the novel I’m currently reading. It’s about Paris during the recovery. (right after the 1789 revolution)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters. It’s this cute Independent Reader novel that my cousin got for me for Christmas. After this I’m going to read Midnight Magic, by Avi. Yay, nostalgia. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009 edited

I saw the several-month-old posts on Wicked Lovely and decided to add my two cents.

I read it and the sequel Ink Exchange about a month ago on a recommendation (read: trolling in book form) and basically agreed with the points in this thread. Donia was the good character, Seth was too perfect, and Aislinn was fairly devoid of personality. Also,

Ink Exchange is basically about

I finished Tess of the d’Urbervilles. I was pleasantly surprised. There is a lot of dull, pointless description and such, but the good parts were good enough for my to look past that. It was good. The ending was very odd.

Now I’m reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter. ‘Tis awesome.

Bought a suitcase full of books back from India. Mwahahahahahaha. :D

(I considered buying Tess of the d’Ubervilles. Somebody told me what happens, and the plot totally turned me off.)

^^I got very annoyed/angry at several characters. Actually, probably all the characters. It was still fairly good though.

Lemme guess- Angel Clare?

Yeah, he starts out all sweet. Then he just pissed me off. Then he was sort of sweet again, but in a case where sweet was probably not what was required. He was nice after she went completely crazy.

Alec is also an annoying ass, but he is an ass from the get-go, so it’s not as bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010

I don’t even know what to think about The Great Gatsby right now. It’s so sad…...

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010 edited

Ooh, NP, you finished Tess! I kinda wanted to strangle her for being a moron, sometimes. And Angel- what a pretentious ass! At least Alec is an honest ass >.<

I just reread The Hobbit. It…it was too childish/silly at some points. But now I really want to reread LotR and The Silmarillion ... and I can’t find them :(

I just reread Marlfox. It was fun, but Brian Jacques’ poetry mostly sucks, and the books are formulaic.

Just finished the Percy Jackson series. While some moments can be corny, I liked it.

Going to read Voice of the Fire by Alan Moore soon.

I kinda wanted to strangle her for being a moron, sometimes. And Angel- what a pretentious ass! At least Alec is an honest ass

I agree with all of the above. Angel was just… ugh. And Tess acted like an idiot around him. Then she went nuts.

Just finished the Percy Jackson series. While some moments can be corny, I liked it.

I really want to read those.

The chapter titles alone are hysterical. Here’s the chapter titles from the first book.

1. I Accidentally Vaporize My Pre-algebra/Maths Teacher
    2. Three Old Ladies Knit the Socks of Death
    3. Grover Unexpectedly Loses His Pants/Trousers
    4. My Mother Teaches Me Bullfighting
    5. I Play Pinochle with a Horse
    6. I Become Supreme Lord of the Bathroom
    7. My Dinner Goes Up In Smoke
    8. We Capture a Flag
    9. I Am Offered a Quest
    10. I Ruin a Perfectly Good Bus
    11. We Visit the Garden Gnome Emporium
    12. We Get Advice From a Poodle
    13. I Plunge to My Death
    14. I Become a Known Fugitive
    15. A God Buys Us Cheeseburgers
    16. We Take a Zebra to Vegas
    17. We Shop for Waterbeds
    18. Annabeth Does Obedience School
    19. We Find Out the Truth, Sort Of
    20. I Battle My Jerk Relative
    21. I Settle My Tab
    22. The Prophecy Comes True

Gigglesnort

Those are funny.

Yes, yes they are.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010

Haha, I think one of my favorite part of the Percy Jackson books was the chapter titles, actually… they’re so great!

Heheh, I’m on the last one. And then I’m going to start Temeraire and A Storm of Swords! I is excited! :D

I just finished re-reading The Brorthers Karamazov. Good stuff.

I’m currently reading Chekhov’s The Seagull. I’m one act in.

Ugh. I can’t get into Voice of the Fire (though I suppose the narration in the first chapter has something to do with it), so I’m switching to Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010

I started The Host by Stephanie Meyers. So far I’m unsurprisingly unimpressed.

^^When you are done, you must tell us if it is better than Twilight.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

The Host

It gets better but definitely drags in the middle. I read it awhile ago and since I haven’t read all the Twilight books yet, I can’t really say if it’s better or worse.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

The Host. I mentioned before how completely disappointed I was by that book.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Drat, now I can’t enjoy it at all. XD

The Host. I mentioned before how completely disappointed I was by that book.

So was I. ;P

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010 edited

I just finished the last of the 3 books I got for Christmas.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010 edited

I read The Westing Game for about the third time… even though I remembered almost everything that happened, it still somehow surprised me. Fantastic book. :D

I love that book, Puppet. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2010

Ooh, I gotta read that again. The last time I read it I was probably twelve, and rather a lot of it went over my head. I think it goes without saying that I was a considerably less mentally developed twelve-year-old than Puppet is. XP

Also, progress on The Host is going well. So far, while not terrific, it’s miles and miles better than Twilight. Probably because the premise is actually interesting.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Just got Neuromancer and Starship Troopers. :3

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

The Host Spoiler:

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

Diamonte’s spoiler

I completely agree. I was expecting (end spoilers ahead, seriously don’t look if you have any interest in the book/you’re currently reading it)

I’m reading A Storm of Swords! :D :D

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2010

Yay! :D It’s so really, really good!
    There are some moments in there that will look amazing in the adaptation.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I’m reading A Storm of Swords! :D :D

You have to read only one page per-day, so by the time you’re finished with A Feast For Crows George R. R. Martin will be done with A Dance With Dragons.

Yay! :D It’s so really, really good!

I take it it’s your favorite in the series? ;)
    Touché, Puppet. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

A Storm of Swords is awesomeee.

...I do need to read A Feast For Crows. I got buried in school-required reading and distracted by shorter books that don’t require you to pay attention all the time to understand what’s going on.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Okay so, I finished The Host, and what the hell.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

I agree, Spanman.

I’m reading Heart of Veridon right now. It had been a long time since my last fix of China Mieville-style “weird” fiction.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010

Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded by John Scalzi. ‘Tis lulzy. ^^

I’ve read some very good, some of them almost life-changing, books in the last couple of months.
    The Gathering Storm was amazing, I think it has brought new life to The Wheel of Time. The end was an emotional thrill-ride.
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, for my American Lit class, was really good, but not really my thing (i.e. it wasn’t sci-fi/fantasy xD).
    A People’s History of the United States is an absolutely eye-opening book, and I would highly recommend it to anyone (especially Americans) with any interest in politics or history. What stuck with me most strongly was the chapter about the Vietnam War. Excuse my language, but that entire situation was just fucked up.
    American Gods is probably my new favorite book, topping even A Song of Ice and Fire. It just blew me away.

P.S., I’m back from exile/death/a shitty first semester of junior year, if anyone cares.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010

I like reading Dewey Readmore Book, the library cat that changed the world. I can’t find it as my book shelf is trapped behind two HUGE armchairs. Don’t ask me why. I would’ve given you the author and the proper title, but…