Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Haven’t started Fahrenheit 451- it’s just sitting in my bag, all forlorn, waiting to be read. School and NaNo are taking away all my recreational reading time.

Yay, Romantic Vampire Lover!

Snow White Queen – It’s okay. NaNoWriMo just takes the priority.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009

The Sword of Shannara is decently-written, although it fairly shamelessly takes a lot from Lord of the Rings. Despite the similarities, it’s still a good book in its own right, and the later books get better (and more original).

Basically, it’s like what would have happened if Christopher Paolini had learned how to be a fabulous writer after writing Eragon, assuming he was already a good writer when he wrote Eragon, just using a very cliche plot.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009

I just finished reading A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. It was very very good.
    I haven’t seen the movie, so I can’t compare them.

It makes me want to read The Notebook, which he also wrote.

Haven’t started Fahrenheit 451- it’s just sitting in my bag, all forlorn, waiting to be read.

Oh, well. When you finish all of your obligations, you will have an awesome book to read.

/gushing about Fahrenheit 451

I’m trying to see what’s the big deal about the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series by reading The Lightning Thief.

Funny, I enjoyed both Fahrenheit 451 and what I’ve read from the Olympians series (which is everything but the last novel).

Olympians series

I want to read those… eventually. They are on my list.

@ Marquis- being a Greek mythology junkie, I found them very enjoyable, even if they’re geared for kids.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009 edited

I just finished reading A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. It was very very good. I haven’t seen the movie, so I can’t compare them.

Here’s what I have to say about the film A Walk to Remember: 1) it shamelessly pushed as many emotional buttons as possible, and 2) the end result was pretty lame.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2009

I just watched the movie on youtube.
    No, it was not good. No, it was not completely horrible. No, I don’t want to watch it again.

Mandy Moore was super annoying in that movie.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009

The Percy Jackson books are great! I just got my sister to start reading them the other day, and even though she’s 21, she loved the first one. Also, I’m rereading the third. (because it has Blackjack, my favorite character, on the front cover and it was sitting out in my school’s library. :))

Reading Pride and Prejudice is cutting into my reading-what-I-like time.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009

gasp! Are you saying… you don’t like P+P?

Blasphemy!

(Hey, maybe you should try P+P+Z instead.)

Finally started Fahrenheit 451 and I LOVEITLOVEITLOVEIT! It merits a rereading (or five) because I’m kind of skipping words and not delighting in the wonderful writing in my eager quest to see what happens next.

Spoilers:

gasp! Are you saying… you don’t like P+P?

That’s exactly what I’m saying. I hate that time period, and I don’t care if they get married or not. I don’t really like the characters all that much, but Mr. Benett is my favorite. Most of the things he says are funny, though other characters are funny at times too. I don’t find the endless conversations about who is agreeable and who isn’t to be at all interesting. I do, however, understand why it is so popular and why it is good literature. I just don’t find it interesting.

(Hey, maybe you should try P+P+Z instead.)

I would give that a try, but I have to read P+P for school. I don’t want to be writing about how Elizabeth didn’t like Darcy until he started killing zombies on a test or something. I need to know what happens in the original.

@451
    It is sooooooooooo amazing. I wuv it so much. Huggles book

Finally started Fahrenheit 451 and I LOVEITLOVEITLOVEIT!

Yayyy! A new convert! Wait, technically, it wasn’t really a conversion, but anyway. Yay!

I’m kind of skipping words and not delighting

I do that constantly. If it’s an excellent novel, then I’ll reread it because the words are important.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009

I started The Grapes of Wrath which I am enjoying so far. It seems to me that John Steinbeck has a unique way of discussing really interesting values and ideas all the time. You can’t turn more than two or three pages without having the philosophical part of your brain activated. I like that.

I planned to read it a long time ago, but I forgot about it. This has rekindled my interest in the novel. So I’ll read that and Of Mice and Men later.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009

I started The Company They Keep by Diana Glyer. Its about the Inklings, C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, etc. I’m enjoying it so far. :D

I found Neverwhere in my library, and I’ll start it soon! I’m excited. :D

(_Fahrenheit 451_ was beyond amazing, by the way. :D)

Either reading Soul Music or And Then There Were None soon.

I found Neverwhere in my library, and I’ll start it soon! I’m excited. :D

YOU SHOULD BE! I love that book. :D

It’s great so far!

It’s kind of like Alice in Wonderland, but more modern.

Also, I found out that I unintentionally plagiarized Neil Gaiman without even reading any of his books, because Richard Mayhew and my male protag are very similar. Oops. (But I’d be lucky if mine turns out half as well as Richard. On a slightly related note, why girls go for Edwards instead of Richards is beyond me.)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009

Also, I found out that I unintentionally plagiarized Neil Gaiman without even reading any of his books, because Richard Mayhew and my male protag are very similar.

That’s not plagiarism, it’s coincidence. :) (And perhaps implies you were both influenced by some other piece of work XD)

I am so proud of you two for spelling ‘plagiarism’ properly.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2009

...what?

bows

I won the fifth grade spelling bee. (Not with ‘plagiarized’...but then again, I remember that half the contestants got knocked out with the word ‘filthy’.)

Anyway, I finished Neverwhere. It was awesome and amazing and utterly great. It would also make a great movie in a quality adapter’s hands.

I plan to finish The Raw Shark Texts this week. I’m all caught up on my Pride and Prejudice reading, so I can read what I want again!

It would also make a great movie in a quality adapter’s hands.

Agreed. I’m still waiting…

...what?

It’s one of my pet hates when people spell ‘plagiarism’ improperly. Heck knows why, since it’s one of Those Words, but yeah.

In other news, I’m reading City of Bones. Just shoot me now.

I’ve seen it in my library, but as soon as it mentioned something about a ‘super hawt guy’ in the summary inside the cover, I ran.

I can’t finish it. I really just can’t.

Clary has no personality, Jace is an arrogant idiot, the dynamic between them is totally unrealistic, as is the dialogue: EVERYBODY uses long words! I mean, I’m the most verbose person I know, and I don’t get anywhere NEAR them.

She’s ripped off Garth Nix, has awkward wording and bad grammar, and boring fight scenes. The characters jump out of character to deliver sharp one-liners, Clary’s described as shy but is definitely not, and… andd….

smashes something

My goodreads review is going to be SCATHING.

Saw that there was a Stephenie Meyer quote on the books, so I pretty much steered clear of them.

Yeah, but sometimes good authors have bad taste. I just figured it was the other way around sometimes.

Then again, Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier were on the first cover, and HB has muddy characters and JL’s just weird. Plus they’re both friends of CC.

So, yeah. Evil gossipy rant over.

Anyone read :

i read it quite some time back, and i gotta say i was (and still am) impressed by it… (just throwing a recommendation out for y’all)

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009

Yeah! I lurved that book. I’m generally a sucker for Independent Reader books. I guess I never got out of my “Sweet! This is a chapter book!” phase. Plus I just love Eoin Colfer. :D

The only thing I’ve ever read by Colfer was The Supernaturalist (I think that’s what it’s called). I liked it.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Really?

You must immediately rush out and buy/read all Artemis Fowl books at once right this instant now.

Oh, I think I’ll read LotR before Artemis Fowl, plus a bunch of other stuff, but maybe I’ll get around to ‘em eventually. I’ll put them on my list.

Ooh, I read The Supernaturalist a couple of years ago, and I remember liking it immensely.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I liked the cunning twists.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

How have I never read that? D:

puts on to-read list

Also, I have yet to read the last two Artemis Fowl books because I heard somewhere that they weren’t very good. D:

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Not as good as the earlier ones, but I liked them well enough.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I generally like to think of Artemis Fowl as a trilogy.

It makes me happier inside.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Kind of like how it’s a pity they never made any sequels to The Matrix?

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited

Actually, I didn’t mind the sequels. I thought they introduced enough interesting ideas to forgive certain… aspects. I don’t prefer them over the original, but one day I wouldn’t mind having a Matrix marathon.

Edit: yes, I know. I’m weird.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited

I like Reloaded, because of the Twins, the chase scene, the many Smiths and the Chataeu fight.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Ohemgee, I am totally in love with the Twins.

At least, I remember being in love with them. It’s been a while since I watched it, ‘k?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

OK, so Reloaded was pretty awesome. The music was amaaaazing, and I love both the chateau and the freeway fights.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Ohemgee, I am totally in love with the Twins.

That sentence made me think dirty thoughts.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Don’t worry, I’ve been thinking them since the film came out.

8D

I generally like to think of Artemis Fowl as a trilogy.

I thought the Opal Deception was good. I think of it as a quartet. Then it stops, however I sometimes include The Time Paradox purely for the fact that:

(RATHER MAJOR SPOILERS)

You must immediately rush out and buy/read all Artemis Fowl books at once right this instant now.

SECONDED. GO. NOW.
    Jeni, actually, I share your views on the subject. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

Okay, even though I read all the spoilers, I will read no more and instead go buy books five and six. D:

Good on you Spanny!

ahem I’m done now. Promise. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2009

I just finished The Grapes of Wrath which was 100% great.

Next up: The Lord of the Rings, 12 Wheel of Time book The Gathering Storm or something, and Of Mice and Men.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

After finishing From Russia With Love, I was in the mood for an even more mindless, pure fun story.

Enter scene: Jimmy Coates: Killer. And it’s fabulous. 8D It’s so gloriously fun, not as mindless as Alex Rider, but fuuuun. There are some really hilarious parts, too.

Yes, I know it’s in the 8-12 age bracket, but I don’t care. :3 The protagonist is 11, which I try to forget because it makes me O_o and think a little more how unbelievable at times it is.

Oh but I did sit in the coffee shop today and almost finish it. I left the last chapter for tonight.

Finished Sea of Monsters yesterday, and planning to get into And Then There Were None.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I’ve just started The Wheel of Time: Book 12: A Memory of Light: Book 1: The Gathering Storm.

Or they might have dropped the subtitle, I’m not sure.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I bought the fifth Artemis Fowl book last night (can’t be bothered to remember what it’s called) and after I’m finished with the three Ember books, I’m going to devour it. ^^

Spanman, yaaayyy!

I’m now reading The Goose Girl. ‘Tis très cute. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Oooo, I love The Goose Girl, I want to read it again! :)

Oh yeah, I liked that book! Try Princess Academy it’s by the same author, and it’s pretty good. But I liked The Goose Girl better.

SWQ, I’ve read both as well, and I agree, I prefer The Goose Girl. Actually, my favorite by Shannon Hale is Enna Burning.

I remember reading Enna Burning but I don’t remember what happened.

I was rereading The Grim Grotto, and Captain Widdershins says that if he finds the sugar bowl, he’ll allow Klaus to marry Fiona. Then he suggests Fiona’s brother marry Violet. I know I’m reading too much into this, but I just realised what that would make.

Nonetheless, I laughed at that bit.

So, I finally got Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief and have now added it to my ever growing collection of ‘books I am currently reading. :D

Yay!!!

Yes, I is excited also. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009

It is fabulous. You will enjoy it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

I finished Of Mice and Men today. It was a very good story, but I feel like I missed something. I keep going over it again and again in my head trying to really understand it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

Finished The Lost Colony today. It was a-okay except that the last bit with Magical Artemis and the spinning ball of fiery apocalypse. I’m still super excited about reading the last one. ^^

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Ooh I want to read that too. That was a great series.

I liked The Lost Colony, but I never had the money to invest in the book. also I heard it wasn’t as good

I read Stardust...it was pretty good, I liked it. It was a more fairy-taleish fantasy, which I enjoyed. I especially liked the line:

Have been unavoidably detained by the world. Expect to see us when you see us.

XD

I’m still super excited about reading the last one. ^^

YES. YOU SHOULD BE. YOU SHOULD BE JUMPING UP AND DOWN. YEAH.
    SWQ, I didn’t really enjoy Stardust. I honestly found it to be one of Neil Gaiman’s worst works; the whole “oh wait, that witch tried to kill me, so I’ll be nice to her!” thing really bugged me. Ah well, the movie was better. (in my opinion) Oh yes, and that line was my favorite in the book. :D
    hmyd, I liked the Lost Colony... I’m a bit biased when it comes to Artemis Fowl though. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009

I keep going over it again and again in my head trying to really understand it.

What didn’t you understand, Pearl? I can help! :)

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl

Hmmm… I just feel like I missed what he was really trying to say, somehow, overall.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited

YES. YOU SHOULD BE. YOU SHOULD BE JUMPING UP AND DOWN. YEAH.

*obliges *

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Hmmm… I just feel like I missed what he was really trying to say, somehow, overall.

You didn’t cry? D:

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited

You didn’t cry?

No.

Finished And Then There Were None. Now, I’m off to The Titan’s Curse.

Yes!

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009

No.

Then I don’t think there’s anything I can do for you. :/

(I think I cried after finishing Of Mice And Men.)

•  
      CommentAuthorPearl
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009

I don’t cry at books. I don’t cry at movies. Sometimes my throat gets tight, but thats about it. Yes I feel sad, very very sad, but I do not cry.

Actually, I may have cried when I read about Dumbledore’s funeral and after the Battle of Hogwarts. And when Sirius died.

Sigh. But no matter, a quick venture over to sparknotes was help enough. :)

I felt pretentious, so I checked out Crime and Punishment from the library. I’ll let you guys know if I ever actually finish. XP

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Hahaha, I tried reading it, but didn’t understand half of it. Mostly about the money and other things. xP

•  
      CommentAuthorRandomX2

WHY did I have to read those Artemis Fowl spoilers? Thanks alot, Steph.

Artemis Fowl stopped at book 3. The rest is a what-if story, and I stand by it.

Also, just finished reading The Invisible Man again. I read it the first time by accident, because I meant to pick up Invisible Man. That was kinda embarrasing.

Haha, confusing much?

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009

Picked up The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (at Sly’s recommendation) and am loving it. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorDiamonte

Picked up Reading Like A Writer.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009 edited