Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009

I bought Ender’s Shadow the other day, am planning to start it today.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I liked Game okay, haven’t looked at Shadow. Seems like it’d be very similar.. but who knows.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I finally finished Neverwhere! :D

IT was a awesome book, the ending was epic, though the middle seemed to drag on forever. One thing I hate about Neverwhere and Coraline was that their endings just kept dragging on, I just wanted it to be over. D:

Overall 9/10.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I think you typed in Neverwhere by accident, on the long ending.

I liked it a lot. And Good Omens.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

No, Neverwhere‘s ending was longer then I expected, it didn’t drag as long as Coraline‘s did, but maybe that’s just me…

>>

<<

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I liked Neverwhere’s ending. Haven’t read Coraline.

I just finished Dragons: Lexicon Triumvirate. I no longer have a soul.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I congratulate you.^^

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

I thought D:LT was a never ending portal into oblivion.. one that no one escaped..

To Kill A Mockingbird was pretty good.

•  
      CommentAuthorZombie Devin
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited

I read The Call of Cthulhu today. The first thing by Lovecraft I have read. I enjoyed it.

The Music of Eric Zahn’s a good one by him.

• CommentAuthorliadan14
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

Has anyone here read Ellen Kushner?

To Kill A Mockingbird was pretty good.

I love that book. It helped me survive two horrible weeks at camp, and so forever will be one of my favorites.

Erm….I didn’t like TKM...

@Future Devin

Is Lovecraft good? I pass by his stuff all the time when I go to Le Borders (that’s ‘Borders’ in French if you can’t keep up) and I always thought “I should get that…nah”

Same with Hitchhikers’ Guide to the Galaxy.

Anyway, I would recommend Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009

Hitchhikers is great.

I’ve…..I’ve never read The Book Thief…

or Discworld….

I haven’t read either of those either…

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009

Ender’s Shadow was so good. So good.

Reading Shadow of the Hegemon right now, and goodness, it’s frustrating. Still alright, but not as good as Game or Shadow.

I accidently bought Ender’s Shadow because I thought it was Ender’s Game. I’m going to have to buy the latter and read it first.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

For some reason I don’t think I’d like Shadow.. loved the first one though.

I think I know the ending of the first one. I’m pretty sure I read about it somewhere.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil

Its very, very obvious, but good nonetheless.

Shadow seems very similar to Game... Is it?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

Yes, a bit. They’re both about boys who were in Battle School at the same time, but the different POVs made them both interesting enough to not be boring and repetitive.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

Yeah, I knew what it was about and who the POV character was.. just, I dunno. We’ll see.

I started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell...I love it so far! It’s like Austen mixed with magic!

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited

Finished Shadow of the Hegemon and cried a bit. Of course. >_>

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009

Yes it was, and I cried too.

Well, I finished The Color of Water by James McBride yesterday. It was interesting in the beginning, sad around the middle, and heartwarming at the end.

•  
      CommentAuthorDelzra
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009

I just finished The Hunger Games and it’s sequel Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. It made me think of the TV Show Survivor and the main character acted a bit like our glorious Bella Swan at times (still a better character by far) but it was a good read. I even got nightmares from the description of characters’ nightmares! Overall a good book.

And currently, I’m reading Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.

@ Angel: Yeah, I thought what I read was really good. It is a pretty short story, so I can’t make any guarantees about the rest of Lovecraft’s work, but The Call of Cthulhu was a great story.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

And currently, I’m reading Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.

I just requested that the other day.^^ I wonder how different the book and the movie are…

Unrecognizably different, from what I’ve heard.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Oooo, I just started Dune! I like it so far.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

Maybe not unrecognisable, but still completely different. I was surprised that the anime castle had legs.

Ooh, I just recently bought Dune.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

Hurrah! You’ll love it. :D I’ve been meaning to read more of the others, they just never come up in charity shops, tsk.

I finished Twilight on Sunday night. I was up until 3 reading it. I just wanted it to be over.
    The next day I started The Lovely Bones and I finished that yesterday at 11. I really liked it. Some parts were creepy and weird, but it was good overall. It was really detached from most of the characters though, so that gave it a weird affect.
    Today, I started The Time Traveler’s Wife. I haven’t gotten far enough to make a judgment on that one.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

OK, so I’m about halfway through Dune, and I really, really love it! Hope the rest of the series is OK…

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009

Unrecognizably different, from what I’ve heard.

The first half of the movie is very similar. I believe that Green Slime is the last common thing they have. The movie’s a lot stranger.

I’ve just finished The Ask & The Answer by Patrick Ness. It’s brutal and depressing.

Is Lovecraft good? I pass by his stuff all the time when I go to Le Borders (that’s ‘Borders’ in French if you can’t keep up) and I always thought “I should get that…nah”

I have the Necronomicon and can vouch for Lovecraft. You can see why his work is influential right off the bat. Definitely get the Necronomicon or the Omnibus volumes if you can. Definitely read Call of Cthulhu, Dagon, Rats in the Walls and The Music of Eric Zahn. The last one is one of his most overlooked, but best works.

GET IT

(although, I was put off Lovecraft for most of August – Call of Cthulhu gave me some pretty fucked up nightmares)

I’m still reading through the Necronomicon, but I’ve also read A View From The Bridge recently, Miller is my favourite playwright for sure. I’ve also been reading Woyzeck for school; once I got past my initial confusiona nd looked deeper into it, I fell in love with the play.

I just finished A Game of Thrones and now I’m reading the Graveyard Book.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009

That’s a good book, and something I would totally read to my kids (wonder what that says about me…)
    Anywho, I’m most of the way through Darkly Dreaming Dexter (basis for the ShowTime series Dexter).

• CommentAuthorLord Snow
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2009

Anywho, I’m most of the way through Darkly Dreaming Dexter (basis for the ShowTime series Dexter).

Nice. Pretty good books, the third one gets a bit… odd, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009

I just finished Tree Grows in Brooklyn... It was amazing.

This is the first book that actually made me feel emotional… It just seems so real and alive… New. Favorite. Book.

Ooh, I love that book! It really is amazing.

I have to read it then!

Now I’m reading Scaramouche by Sabatini. Anybody know if it’s any good?

Finished V for Vendetta.

Alan Moore at his best, personally; and I think I have a new crush that goes by the name of V. swoons

Forrest Gump is a book too. I did not know this. I. Must. Read. It.

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

Alan Moore at his best, personally; and I think I have a new crush that goes by the name of V. swoons

For the life of me, I cannot find this. I have (and lurv) Watchmen though.

I’m currently reading Foundation and Tamar.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

Tamar.

8D

[flails]

[flails some more]

Ha ha, I was waiting for you to say something, Jeni. ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

It’s SO AWESOME. SO AWESOME I MUST USE CAPS LOCK.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

I finished Howl’s Moving Castle yesterday, it is a LOT different from the movie. The book is wonderfully written, unlike a lot of fantasy books the author actually makes the reader feel like such a place could exist, instead of the usual “Pshh, this is ridiculous.”

Great book. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorTalisman

Dragonsbane, by Barbara Hambly. Very gritty, realistic, well-written fantasy. The sequels are too dark and depressing for me, though.

Also, Wizard’s First Rule for sporking purposes. I first read it when I was 15 and actually liked it. Boy I was dumb. Or uncritical. Or both.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I finished readin two books for classes the other night. Summer for the Gods is about the Scopes trial, and it’s good history (won a Pulitzer in history), but not very entertaining. The Palm-Wine Drinkard is good, if you can get past the not-so-great grasp the writer has of English grammar. Now I’m trying to finish Glenn Cook’s The Black Company. Dark fantasy about mercenaries working for an “evil” empire against not-so-pristine rebels.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

@Puppet—Diana Wynne Jones is pretty much always fantastic. I love her.

I agree. I adored Howl’s Moving Castle. It was my first Diana Wynne Jones work.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

Me too. I remember reading it when I was…like…eight or something, and then playing camping or the-world-is-ending-what-am-I-going-to-save once and that was the book I grabbed and put in big (clean) popcorn tin along with some stuffed animals.

...I had a really odd fixation with packing and pretending to travel when I was little. Still kinda do.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009

I had that same fixation! There was always some purse or shoebox or whatever lying around my room that I “packed” to go on some epic journey or other.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009

Comrade!

Meee toooo. I remember one time when I was upset with my parents, I “packed” one of those toy suitcases to live down in the basement forever and ever and never come back up.

...the “packing” consisted of some plastic toy food and a teddy bear.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Me too. I remember reading it when I was…like…eight or something, and then playing camping or the-world-is-ending-what-am-I-going-to-save once and that was the book I grabbed and put in big (clean) popcorn tin along with some stuffed animals.

I still do that sometimes.

•  
      CommentAuthorJeni

I’m indulging in some Thrawn trilogy brain candy.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm

I’m reading George RR Martin’s Dream Songs.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I read Austenland, by Shannon Hale, today. It is fabulous!! Any and every girl whose taste in men has been permanently disrupted by Mr. Darcy needs to read this book.

...yeah, so the main character (Jane Hayes) is basically this complete Jane Austen nut whose fixation on finding the perfect Mr. Darcy-esque guy is so huge it destroys every relationship she’s in. So when her great-aunt Carolyn dies, Jane finds out she’s been willed this trip to Pembrook Park in England, a… resort, I suppose you could say, where guests spend three weeks in Jane Austen’s England, intact with gentlemen to fall in love with.

It is awesome.

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd

I just started Pretties by Scott Westerfeld, and I have to say it’s not bad.

I read the pdf Steph kindly provided a link to. I want to read the next one, but I need to save my monies.

Oh, promotional offers. Clever marketers.

• CommentAuthorUn-Dante'd

I put in 15 hours per weekend, so I got lots of loonies to spend.

The Time Traveler’s Wife has become much more interesting.

Is it good good?

^^Are you talking to me?

If you are, I’d say that it’s good so far as entertainment and peaking my interest, but it has yet to reach the completely absorbed/reading it constantly/this is the best book ever stage. It’s still quite interesting, though. I was a bit put off at first by certain… metaphors, but I think that it will get much better. I’m still not very far in it.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

@swen—Have you read her other books? Princess Academy is my favourite. ^^

Oh shush, making a tent/fort is damn fun.

Damn straight it is.

I would make one now if I had enough pillows. My desk has a sort of cave under it for my legs that I still used to* crawl into and pretend it was a hobbit hole.

*The only reason I don’t any more is because there’re books there now.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@Elanor – no, not yet… but I’m definitely going to look into them now!

If you’re going to read Shannon Hale, you must read the Books of Bayern. The Goose Girl, Enna Burning, and River Secrets. I’ve read the first two several times (Enna Burning is my favourite) and I’m waiting for River Secrets. They’re a lot deeper than Austenland. No offence, Swennie, but Goodreads calls it kinda shallow, so I’m not going to read it.

The Goose Girl was her first novel, but it doesn’t really show.

I’m reading George RR Martin’s Dream Songs.

I really enjoyed that collection; I found the stories to be very well written, and quite intriguing as well.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

I really enjoyed that collection; I found the stories to be very well written, and quite intriguing as well.

They are! But I’m now slightly depressed that nothing I’ve written compares to the kind of thing he was writing at around my age.

@ Steph: Yeah, the Goose Girl was good! I read Enna Burning, but I kind of forget what happens.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

@Steph—Yeah, same. I didn’t like Austenland as much as her other novels. A bit too fluffy for me.

@ Snowie and Elanor:

Basically, Enna learns how to speak the language of fire and the desire to burn things is now taking over her, but she gets kidnapped by the kingdom that her kingdom is warring with because they want to use her as a weapon deep breath; and now I’m actually getting curious about Austenland respectively. But it’s such a shame that she’s more famous for the rubbish novel than for the ones that she actually wrote well.

@Moldorm:

Yeah, but I bet he had been practising his writing for far longer than you. Plus there’s a little thing called the ‘edit’.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009

Honestly, although Austenland wasn’t particularly deep, I don’t think it was poorly written. It was definitely fluffy, but it wasn’t bad.

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

@Steph—I know, I’ve read it. :P Have you read the latest Forest book? I found it in the bookstore the other day.

I’ve just finished Ender’s Game.

@swenson: Oh, okay then. I’m not saying fluff is bad, or I’d have to deny that Meg Cabot even existed. But there was something about the men not speaking in actual proper period language or something. Which, now that I think about it, sounds picky.

@Elanor: I was talking to Snowie with the first part of the sentence, and you with the second. Are you talking about number three or (gasp) is there a number four?

@hmyd.windmere:

Did you like it?

I haven’t read anything not school related in at least a week. It’s very sad. :(

•  
      CommentAuthorElanor

@Steph—Oh. Okay. Sorry, brain is currently very dead. I believe it’s the fourth one—I’ve read the other three, and this one’s about Razo’s sister.

I’m currently halfway through Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.

The Time Traveler’s Wife is getting sooooo good. Is happy

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009

I’m currently reading Maus II. Depressing but good.

I finished both Tamar and Foundation within a day of each other, and am quite pleased indeed. They were both excellent books.

Tamar... Well, the only negative thing I can think to say is that the ‘twist’ was rather predictable. I don’t know why that is, there were no hints or foreshadowing, but I just felt… It just felt so bloody obvious. But other than that, it was an amazing book. :D Well chosen, Jeni.

Foundation was great; the original sci-fi. (or so I’m told) I found it very original indeed, and the technology aspect of it was very well done.

So anyways, now I’m reading Foundation and Empire. Yay!

The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint. Is. Amazing. I didn’t realise it was Newford #15. Hurray for stand-alones with recurring characters, and possibly more sightings of Thomas, Tammery, Esmerelda, Maxine, Christy Riddell, Ben Sweetland, and more! Dreams Underfoot, here I come…

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009

Finished Maus II, amazing book. Its terrifying, you want to put it down but you just can’t. Absolutely amazing.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009 edited

The Sword of Shannara, despite several false starts, is picking up quite nicely. Yay!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009

I’m getting into Practical Demonkeeping. It took a little while, but the humor’s finally become more prevalent. I need a good laugh right now.

• CommentAuthorWitrin
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009

Just finished Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta and The Poison Throne by Celine Kiernan
    Now reading Nation by Terry Pratchett, which is apparently his best novel eva, so I don’t know what to expect.

Oh, I love Melina Marchetta.

Swenson is going to love me for this, but I’ve just picked up one of those family sagas with lots of sex in it. It’s quite annoying, because I have to keep skipping parts, for obvious reasons.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009

Heh, what are you reading?

I finished The Time Traveler’s Wife. I am now reading The Raw Shark Texts. Thank ya, Jen-ay for the review about it.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009

Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception. Bought it in the airport today, and so far it’s quite fun. ^^