Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2013

Abhorsen Trilogy

These books by themselves made me obsessed with fantasy. Garth Nix is the best.

The Baroque Cycle is great- at least the first book. I didn’t get my hands on the others.

It’s like the authors’ only experience with the South was from movies and tv shows.

I live in WV. This being a thing makes me rage.

As You Like It is officially my favorite Shakespeare comedy. I guess I enjoy the sassy cross-dressing.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2013 edited

Out of nostalgia, I read one of Tamora Pierce’s Alanna books last night: In the Hand of the Goddess. I really liked her books in middle school, so I wanted to see if they held up.

I really don’t want to say this, but… it didn’t. It had hints of interesting things, but it read more like a series of events than an actual story. Something would happen, then it would skip ahead six months and something else would happen, and so on. There wasn’t any real character development; characters felt and did things apparently just because. And worst of all, there were dropped plot threads all over the place. I felt like someone had taken a more complex and interesting story and trimmed out half of it to just show the highlights—but you can’t do that, you have to show the in-between bits too.

Also, as much as I hate to admit it, Alanna is kind of a Sue…

It’s kinda disappointing overall. :( I really hope it was just this book/series.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2013

I don’t know, I felt the same way when I read the first book in the series. I mean, it’s fine as a middle-grades/YA book, but compared to some of the more adult-oriented fantasy I’ve read since high school, it just doesn’t quite stand up.

NEAL STEPHENSON IS COMING TO BERKELEY, YOU GUYS

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2013

This should probably go in a different thread, but I got my Dr. McNinja Volume 1 Omnibus today. With my name in the front cover, and a hand-drawn Sean just for meeee!

Sean is my favorite clearly the best character, so I am understandably a little excited. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013

Siege of Jerusalem!

Disemboweling! Antisemitism! Hilarious Historical and Geographical inaccuracies! A dude with a beehive in his nose!

I love Medieval literature. It’s so wrong.

• CommentAuthorDave

It’s fucking awesome, isn’t it? xD

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

It’s fucking awesome, isn’t it?

It is! There’s just something kind of glorious about it. I seriously wish I could make my living studying the stuff.

• CommentAuthorDave
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013 edited

I seriously wish I could make my living studying the stuff.

Same here :) All I want is to study the medieval period and teach about it, but I realized I like eating.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

^^ eating is so overrated.

I’m taking Medieval Lit now and I love it. Only I must be learning different stuff than you, ‘cause I’ve got no beehive nose man.

We just did the Gawain/Pearl-Poet though and it was wonderful. Now we’re doing Book of the Duchess.

In my spare time I’m reading Divine Comedy and it’s beautiful and I don’t know how I existed without this because it’s just fantastic

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2013

I’m taking Medieval Lit now and I love it. Only I must be learning different stuff than you, ‘cause I’ve got no beehive nose man.

I only got to read Siege of Jerusalem for a grad class, so maybe that’s why. But yeah, that’s were beehive nose guy turns up. You also get some actual baby eating. (Really.)

In my spare time I’m reading Divine Comedy and it’s beautiful and I don’t know how I existed without this because it’s just fantastic

It’s pretty amazing. Did you need to read it in verse or prose?

• CommentAuthorDave
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2013 edited

The Mongoliad. So far I’m liking what I’m seeing

It’s pretty amazing. Did you need to read it in verse or prose?

I’m reading the Ciardi translation, which is really really beautiful but it’s not entirely accurate. I’m still trying to find an affordable version of the Singleton Translation to read when I’m done with this one.

I’m almost done with Paradiso and I don’t want it to ennnd.

Having finished The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, I’ve now read a book from every Bronte. I always feel bad for Anne- I know I would hate to be constantly found inferior to my older sisters- but I have to say that Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre are definitely much better.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014

This just in, JK Rowling regrets putting Ron and Hermione together, says it should have been Harry/Hermione.

Rowling says that she should have put Hermione and Harry together in the Harry Potter series instead of Hermione and Ron.

“I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment,” she says. “That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” she continued, “I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not.”

And the fans go wild…!

I actually never imagined Hermione with either Harry or Ron. (She and Ron would definitely need relationship counseling, and I think that she and Harry, while good friends, don’t have the chemistry.)

It’s interesting that Hermione/Ron is wish-fulfillment, when it seems that the hero/only friend who’s a girl pairing is much more obvious.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014 edited

Did she say that Hermione and Harry should have been together or just not Ron? I’ve been looking through things, and I never really saw anything that was specifically “Harry/Hermione”

I agree with Snow White Queen. I never really saw her with either character.

I kind of wanted Harry to end up with Luna.

You and the rest of the fandom…

I’ve been looking through things, and I never really saw anything that was specifically “Harry/Hermione”

I’m thinking that she must have been influenced by the movies, because the actors had some chemistry.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014 edited

Agreed, the movies were much more inclined towards H/Hr than the books, they were more… sisterly and brotherly in the books, there was never any real romantic spark between them. Doesn’t stop the fanfic writers, though. Pretty much 9 of the 10 best fanfics I’ve ever come across (in terms of writing, characterisation, plot sensibility, and so on) have all been H/Hr, but given everything in the books I’m more willing to believe Harry wouldn’t get involved with anyone, but instead develops crippling alcohol and commitment problems, as the wizarding mental health therapy/counselling system seems to be non-existent.

edit: Also, JKR never said that Harry/Hermione would be a thing either, she doesn’t comment on that.

I’ve currently been reading a lot Ren. Lit stuff. I’ve done Erasmus, Machiavelli, Pico, some various obscure Italians, and Petrarch (who I’ve fallen in love with).

In my spare time I’m reading the Epic of Gilgamesh which is way cool.

Thanks, Taku. All the goddamn links keep saying OHHH IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN HARRY/HERMIONE but she said no such damn thing. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Rereading Wuthering Heights for a class I’m subbing in. Lockwood is a pompous asshat.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2014

Isn’t everyone in Wuthering Heights?

I dunno, I was rooting for Edgar Linton.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014

My sister once described Wuthering Heights as a Victorian soap opera, and I still think it’s a pretty accurate way to put it. I hated almost everyone in that book, including the narrators. (which, by the way, does not mean I hated the book. I adored the book. I just loathed everybody in it.)

Not Victorian, really. It’s Gothic literature. Only realized recently that Heathcliff isn’t just a deconstruction of the tall,dark and broody thing, but specifically of the Byronic Hero. Misunderstood? Maybe. Heroic? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NO.

Yeah, whatever else might have been going on, I’m fairly sure that Bronte didn’t mean for Heathcliff to be attractive. :P

I’m doing character polls with my class. At the moment Lockwood is getting neutral, with a few positive/negative outliers, and Heathcliff is neutral, with a few negative outliers.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014

Heathcliff is just the worst. I bet there’s a Hark! A Vagrant! comic about this.

Heh, of course there is! It’s a three-parter, even!

Heathcliff is neutral

How. I swear I shrieked with joy when Linton punched him.

How.

They’ve only read chapter 1. Give them time.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014

Oh, well then. You should keep up the polling business to see how things change. :)

And if any girls in your class end up thinking Heathcliff is smexy (or guys, I’ll be an equal-opportunity insulter), tell them they fail the class forever. Because they do.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014 edited

No. I will simply make high pitched noises of indignation, followed by cherry picked quotes that point out how utterly fucked up and deranged Heathcliff is.

Update: As of chapters 2-8, here are the major characters ranked from most negative reception to most positive reception. No neutral was allowed, they just voted on whether they felt positively or negatively about each character, so this reflects their likes/dislike a little more clearly.

Hindley
    Catherine II (born Catherine Linton, the younger Cathy)
    Hareton
    Heathcliff
    Catherine I (born Catherine Earnshaw, the older/dead Cathy)
    Lockwood

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014

I’m trying to get through The Three Musketeers for the second time, and I’ve just about reached the point where I gave up the first time.

Here’s my problem – why am I supposed to like any of the main characters? I mean, they (and let’s be honest, all the Musketeers) tend to spend a lot of time drinking, starting fights, and fleecing married women for their money. Hell, d’Artagnan starts the book actively looking to start a fight for no good reason. And now he’s planning on starting an affair with his landlord’s wife – his landlord who he still owes rent to.

Am I supposed to like them because they don’t like the Cardinal? What’s he done that’s so wrong? Gee, he’s maybe trying to expose the queen’s affair with a foreign duke? And I’m supposed to be against that why?

Also, I’m not entirely sure about d’Artagnan’s reasons for being so mad at Rochefort (who has yet to be named, btw). Firstly because I didn’t actually see Rochefort take d’Artagnan’s letter, and secondly because d’Artagnan was the one who started the fight in the first place.

The only thing that’s keeping me sane at the moment is planning on rewriting the whole story from Rochefort’s POV.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I don’t think you’re supposed to like them. I always read the story’s thesis as “the nobility are dicks to each other, and especially to the poor, but some of them are less dickish than others”.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet

Hah. The Three Musketeers is one of my favorite books, but I’ve only read it once and that was years ago. Maybe I’ll give it another read after I finish The Count of Monte Cristo.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

@Taku: I kinda doubt that this book really has a thesis, to be honest. And I’d be more willing to buy that if I got to see anyone else behaving worse. As is, I’m supposed to like the heroes despite them being dicks, and I’m supposed to hate the Cardinal’s guys… because they work for the Cardinal?

Again, this book is begging for a perspective flip retelling.

@Puppet: Honestly, I think I could get more into Count of Monte Cristo. At least that’s a revenge story, so I would at least have reasons to hate the villain.

I’ve heard very good things about The Count of Monte Cristo. As for Three Musketeers, I tried but gave up.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Count of Monte Cristo is great! I should reread it.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014

So I finished Three Musketeers. And having done that, I ask – why am I supposed to like the heroes? They are, for the most part, horrible, detestable people. I’d be okay with it if their behavior was ever presented as wrong, but it never is. And having read up on the Duke of Buckingham, I have to wonder why I’m supposed to be sad or upset about him being assassinated. Because apparently his own countrymen hated him, and it was only though the influence of the king that Buckingham wasn’t sacked. And based on that, I’m not surprised that said king was later executed.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014

I remember reading both of those in high school and really liking them. I think Musketeers was a little bit like Game of Thrones in the sense that the characters were not clear cut good guys and bad guys. They were mostly gray characters with traits of good and bad mixed together. Even Richelieu wasn’t a typical villain; he was at odds with the queen but he was not the evil conniving monster that the 1993 Disney adaptation made him out to be. The only character I remember that was truly evil was Milady. All of the other characters had a mix of vice and virtue.

On another subject, I’ve been reading Robert Jordan’s book “Eye of the World” and I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison of that series to Paolini’s “Eragon”? Everyone compares Eragon to Star Wars, LotR and Dragonriders of Pern, but I don’t remember seeing anyone doing a comparison to Jordan’s work (which came out in 1990). I’m about halfway through and there are some remarkable similarities between the two. It looks to me like Paolini was definitely influenced by Jordan in several ways. For one, the story starts out with a teenage boy being forced to flee his home when Trollocs attack looking for a boy his age. Some of the names are similar, including a range of mountains called “Spine of the World”. The maps look very similar, although that could be from both authors drawing heavy influence from Tolkien’s Middle Earth. Also, I understand that in later books Jordan slowed the pacing down to a crawl, writing really long books which contain very little story advancement.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014

While most of the characters in Three Musketeers were morally gray (at best), what bothers me is that it probably wasn’t done on purpose. That, and the fact that the heroes never seem to get any comeuppance for their less-than-heroic behavior. Just for example, d’Artagnan beats his manservant when said manservant wants to leave d’Artagnan’s service because he hasn’t been paid. D’Artagnan’s even goes “I’m doing this for your own good”, and the manservant buys it. That’s just… no. Not cool.

As for Eye of the World (and the rest of the Wheel of Time series), I think most of the similarities come from the fact that both Jordan and Lucas were making heavy use of the Hero’s Journey monomyth. That’s actually kind of the point of the series – myths and legends from our world are historical fact to the characters in the series, and vice versa. And I think a lot of the reason the plot slows down in later books is because Jordan started juggling multiple plot lines at the same time – probably like what the last two SoIaF books would have been if GRRM didn’t separate them by geography. At least, that’s what I think it is – I’ve only read through the maybe the first four books.

•  
      CommentAuthorpugbutter
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014 edited

(edited)

Found it! The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker. Thanks anyway!

The last book I finished was Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan, which, despite the goofy title, was quite good. It’s a YA novel about these two teenage boys who want to set the world record for longest kiss….and it’s narrated by a greek chorus of gay men who have died from AIDS.

cue ugly blubbering

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2014

Wasn’t sure whether to put this in Books or Movies thread, but this guy’s theory makes a lot of sense:

LOTR Eagles plot hole filed

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Saw that. After my knee-jerk reaction of “the Eagles are not a taxi service”, I went on to “they have better shit to do.” The War of the Ring wasn’t just confined to the areas around Mordor and Isengard, you know.

Yeah, there’s plenty of other reasons, but the plot hole filler is a neat idea, if you like that sort of thing.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

The War of the Ring wasn’t just confined to the areas around Mordor and Isengard, you know.

A common misconception, but when you think about it, you had the Misty Mountains and Mirkwood, and both weren’t what one would call a nice safe place. But the filler is amusing.

•  
      CommentAuthororganiclead
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014 edited

I’ve been trying to read my old nemesis Eisenhorn again. This is a book series I really want to like, but its flaws keep smacking me right in the face. The action is really fun and it actually has decent characters for a Warhammer 40K novel in theory, yet the author has no clue how to actually show character development instead of flat out saying it between action scenes and he had a bad habit of trying to spring characters on us without actually giving any background on who this person is until two chapters later. You really can’t expect this new player in the battle to mean anything unless you tell us who the heck he is before you try to surprise us with his presence. And lastly the author keeps forgetting major details about his characters like making someone who was described as physically unable to smile due to events in book one smile regularly.

I’d really like to spork it, but there really isn’t enough material to spork without grasping for straws between the pet peeves.

On another note, I find myself liking some settings better than the source material. It makes for some hypocritical opinions on things like Dresden Files, Name of the Wind and Star Wars.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2014

I finished the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed the books, by and large, they absolutely managed to capture my attention and I couldn’t put them down until I finished… but I can’t help but think they’re a great example of how a skilled writer can make even the most cliched characters and setting work. If you just described the plot to me (a royal bastard, unloved by everybody, has ~~magical powers~~ that everyone else fears and doesn’t understand! Also he’s an ASSASSIN and awesome fighter and is the only one who can figure out the super cool magic that they need to save the world and his life is so incredibly TRAGIC), I think I would’ve thought I would’ve hated it. But it actually works, because there are serious consequences to everyone’s actions, Fitz earns his abilities and the various other cool stuff he ends up doing, and the ending is bittersweet at best. And the writing is quite good.

Definitely going to pick up the other books and give them a try as well.

Just finished up Aeschylus’ The Oresteia. Pretty good shit.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2014

Hell yeah. Pretty much the pinnacle of Attic tragedy. Some would say Sophocles was better, but Aeschylus/Aiskhulos is way above him.

Check out Euripides next, he’s got a slightly more “modern” approach to metaphor and characterisation.

Cool, when I cycle around to reading Greek shit again, I’ll pick him up.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014

I’m finally getting back into reading on a regular basis… for the first time since like high school… anyway it’s pretty great, I went to the library three times in the past week and a half.

I read a bunch of things, but the two most important ones are 1632, which is about a modern-day West Virginia mining town that gets warped into the middle of Germany during the Thirty Years’ War, and it’s really good, and I’ve been hearing about it for ages and always thought it sounded interesting… and I also started reading the Honor Harrington books, which I have also been hearing about for ages, and kind of knew I would love, and they are the best ever I must have more.

They hit like every single sci-fi trope I love. Big sweeping settings, political drama, female starship captains, epic space battles, nerdy technobabble about engines and ships and weapons, crazy planets all over the place… it’s so great. I’m getting that Mass Effect urge all over again. Plus Honor is really really cool.

Just finished Mur Lafferty’s second book in the Shambling Guide series, Ghost Train to New Orleans. The first one, The Shambling Guide to New York City, was superior, but Ghost Train was still a great read. It moves at a pretty decent clip and has great dialogue. Also makes me want to visit New Orleans!

h/t Apep for recommending the first in the series. Now browsing through some gawdawful urban fantasy books…

Recently picked up Raymond Chandler’s The Big Sleep and it’s entertaining but sexist as hell

One of the funny things about the Honorverse stuff is that about halfway through, physics people figured out that gravity is also limited to lightspeed. There was some gravity-wave/hyperspace-echo bs getting tossed into the next book.

1632 is also very good. It gets better as it goes on.

Estoy leyendo a Harry Potter y La Piedra Filosofal para repasar el español.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2014

Bueno!

It took me forever to get through the first chapter with the aid of Google Translate. It’s strange to struggle with basic comprehension and grammar but I guess I’m reading more attentively than I have in years.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2015

Finished City of Fallen Angels and City of Lost Souls.

In which Token Gay Alec continues not to have a point, Simon’s narrative is still more interesting, Clare listens to her fans and boots Maia the werewolf out of Simon and Isabelle’s ship and Jace spends most of both books either brainwashed or trying to avoid being brainwashed.

I guess Clare doesn’t realize that you can have a normal couple doing things together when they’re not being separated by tragic coincidence.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Ah, so that’s what I potentially have to look forward to. Thanks for the heads-up.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

lol, yeah. I’ll give credit where credit it due, she’s starting to (mostly) realize that the other characters of the narrative do actually have to do something to justify their existence in the plot.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015

Rating for books we’ve read so far in English

Jane Eyre: 6/10, it was one of those books I thought the story was really interesting, but didn’t like the style. Gothic novels, Victorian novels aren’t really my thing.

A Lesson Before Dying: 6/10, I didn’t really like it or find it that interesting, it was okay.

To Kill A Mockingbird: 8/10 I found this one really intersting, I loved Atticus and seeing Scout’s development really made me think about what it means to me to grow up and all sorts of good things like that.

Of Mice and Men: 10/10 This book was amazing! I read it all in one sitting, and I was completely enraptured by it. The foreshadowing and just the way the book is written was so well-crafted that it kept my attention fully.

Macbeth: 10/10 We’re only a little ways into this one, but I loved Romeo and Juliet last year (I love the extra challenge of the way Shakespeare uses language) and I love this too. We get to listen to a recorded version in class (so you really get the whole “performance” aspect of it).

•  
      CommentAuthorpugbutter
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015

Most of you haven’t seen this yet.

You haven’t lived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXyvMSlu-xw

‘Love Dishonor Marry Die Cherish Perish’ by David Rakoff is a great, humane book! I had never read a novel-in-verse but this one is definitely worthwhile.

Apparently Eisenhorn gets better after the first book, though I wish people had warned me about that. it’s still a Warhammer 40k story, but at least now there’s some characterization and the intrigue feels less like stalling and more like part of the story and I’m actually growing to like the few characters who aren’t dying left and right. The author still sucks at writing anything but battle scenes, but he’s getting better.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2015

Return to Hush Hush. Somehow it’s actually worse than I remember.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2015

I’m so sorry, Pryotra.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2015

Thanks. Yeah. It’s…bad.

On the bright side, Nora is just as bad of a stalker in the later books, so I don’t end up feeling so…uncomfortable…

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2015

If you don’t remember kippurbird, she’s one of the most prominent Inheritance Cycle critics. Her in-depth chapter-by-chapter sporking of each book, which is still ongoing (currently halfway through Inheritance) inspired me to start reading with a more critical/analytical eye.

Anyway, she has a book out, that I think many of you would enjoy.

The Tropes of Fantasy Fiction by Gabrielle Lissauer, a.k.a. kippurbird.

“Comparing various fantasy fiction stories, this book shows that it is not the tropes and cliches that make a story good or bad but how the author applies them. The book also explores the concept of text versus meta-text—that is, when the story’s world and character actions contradict the reader’s expectations based on the tropes being used. Covering authors from Mercedes Lackey and Brandon Sanderson to Christopher Paolini and Stephenie Meyer, the author finds that it is the nature of tropes and the language used that make a fantasy story, for bad or good.”

In the tradition of the Tough Guide to Fantasyland, or John Clute’s Encyclopedia of Fantasy, but with more of a scholarly/literary criticism perspective.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

I must have it!

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

I’m ordering my copy in a week or two after my current Amazon order is delivered. I don’t like the idea of having multiple unfulfilled orders in the system at once.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2015

Woah. Is this like a textbook? The paperback version is $50 Canadian.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2015

I don’t know, but I think it will probably be worth it. Kippurbird’s been researching and dabbling in tropes and fantasy fiction for many, many years, so she does know what she’s writing about. Her earlier critiques of the IC are marvelous.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2015

She’s actually the person who got me into sporking. Have you seen her spork of the Da Vinci Code? It’s hilarious.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2015

Just read Passion (the sequel to Torment)

Satan called out the Sue for her utter selfishness. I am not sure how I am supposed to feel about this.

•  
      CommentAuthorSarahSyna
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015

...wow.
    When even the freaking DEVIL is calling you out on being an asshole, you're one hell of an asshole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

I think that we’re supposed to see this as completely untrue or something but…

well…

•  
      CommentAuthorSarahSyna

You know, I remember seeing a phrase somewhere that the devil never actually lies, because he doesn't have to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2015

I kind of wish that Kate Lauren had read that. It might have led to some character development.

Then again this is the woman who read about the sons of the gods lusting after mortal women and thought that it was romantic.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2015

And the Fallen series has what might be the worst antclimax ever.

Including Breaking Dawn.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2015

So I read Gone Girl.

HOLY SHIT. Read it. Read it NOW.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015

I’ve heard that that’s a really interesting book.

Finally finished with my romp through Paranormal Romance. Cassandra Clare still doesn’t seem to realize that throwing new characters into the final book only works if they serve a function.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2015

I just found out about Terry Pratchett’s death. :(

Same. It’s turned out to be a pretty terrible year as far as deaths go.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Yeah, it sucks. But at least he passed before being debilitated by his Alzheimer’s. That’s… not pretty.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

That’s what I was thinking, Apep. At least he died still able to remember his family and friends and, well, his life. He still had his dignity.

So I read by first Star Wars Extended Universe book after my boyfriend keep pushing it on me. Path of Destruction is not good.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015

The Thrawn Trilogy, on the other hand, is excellent. (I haven’t actually read Path of Destruction, though, so I have no comment on it. :))

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015 edited

I’m going to recommend the Thrawn books as well, even though I’ve only read the first and part of the second. Thrawn is one of those great villains, mostly because (unlike just about everyone else who worked for the Empire) he’s actually competent. I’m also fairly certain those books provided the inspiration for Battle Meditation they used in the KotOR games.

•  
      CommentAuthororganiclead
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2015 edited

Is it actually written well? One major beef I have with Path of Destruction was the writing in general. The dialogue was boring, the book mentioned the end game plan multiple times and it went off without a hitch making for one of the most boring climaxes I’ve ever read and it’s pretty hard to get invested in a character with a name as silly as Bane.

EDIT: The Lies of Locke Lamora, however, is something I’m really getting into. Still in the middle of it but it’s turning out good.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Yeah, I think with Path of Destruction, you have to be invested. You have to want to learn about how the Sith went from a big, obvious threat (as they are in the games set before the films) to the small, secret conspiracy they are in the films. The Thrawn books don’t require that, since they’re set after the movies, and deal with things just after the Empire’s defeat.

And yes, the Gentlemen Bastards book are great. And just like with the Song of Ice and Fire books, you don’t have to deal with the interminable wait between books (seriously, there was like a six year gap between books 2 and 3 being published, which was really annoying since 2 ended with a nasty cliff-hanger.)

As a general thing, I don’t think I’d recommend any extended universe novels to someone who’s not really into Star Wars. . . with a big exception to all of Zahn’s books. They’re all good.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

The Thrawn books have great writing, IMO, although it’s been a few years since I read them.

Thrawn’s competence is great, but the fact that he’s not just cartoonishly evil is also great. He’s not the kind of villain who randomly murders people he doesn’t like. Plus, he likes art! Clearly that means he’s a good guy. /SARCASM

Investment doesn’t have much to do with it. It just had some really big flaws that I hated. For example, when your main character has a plan and they mention that plan out loud, there’s no tension if everything goes according to the plan. I felt disappointed by the end of the book because there really weren’t any surprises or any reason to believe he’d fail by the middle of the book. Not to mention I couldn’t stop cracking up trying to imagine people trying to hold serious conversations with people named Bane and Githany.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

To be fair re: the names, pretty much all the Darths have silly names. Maul, Sidious, Tyranus – and those are the A-level canon.