Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013

Reading all of Deadpool again. I’ve just gotten to the end of Agent X. This is such an excellent use of my time. :)

(Comics are books, right?)

Of course, and Gail Simone’s Deadpool. Me wantee!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013 edited

Gail Simone’s Deadpool is great for a number of reasons, but mostly because he shrunk the Rhino and turned him into a keychain. (Actually, was that Simone or somebody else?)

Reading The Importance of Being Earnest for school and loving it.

^ MUFFINS.

Have you reached that part yet?

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013

The Importance of Being Earnest owns a lot.

I’m rereading the Earthsea books in preparation for Ursula K. Le Guin’s appearance at Berkeley (asldkjfldkjfldkfjldjfljd). They’re good, but strangely, as a kid I liked book 2 more than book 1, and now I like book 1 more than book 2. Maybe I just was expecting Tenar to do more. :P

Now I have to read The Farthest Shore and get a modicum of schoolwork done.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013 edited

Tombs of Atuan was always my least favorite.

Le Guin is probably my favorite living author.

Have you reached that part yet?

omfg I just did and I had to stuff my fingers in my mouth to stop from laughing very loudly and waking the whole house up

just

DYING.

Also is it bad I thought of Elsie Dinsmore and the Hell Muffins?

Tombs of Atuan was always my least favorite.

Understandable…as a kid, I just really gravitated towards female protagonists, for some reason. Maybe I felt I could relate to them more? I certainly couldn’t relate to or understand Ged at that age, at least. But in retrospect, even though the book is about Tenar, all the change and action comes from Ged in some way (except for the decision not to kill him in the first place), and that really bugs me now. There are a lot of interesting aspects in Tenar’s story, but I just wasn’t satisfied at the end of the story. It’s supposed to be about Tenar coming to freedom, but she’s still extremely dependent- now on Ged, instead of the Nameless Ones.

The real test is Tehanu. I did NOT get that book as a kid, mostly because I wanted more of Tenar actually making a life for herself in Earthsea, and the novel just completely skipped ALL of that stuff. I remember that I was disappointed that Tenar wasn’t out doing awesome things because I liked her character, and therefore she should be doing awesome things…but then I was about 11 or so. Maybe my opinions will change.

Re: Nossus- For some reason I haven’t connected emotionally with her work yet (though I recognize how well-written and completely awesome it is, and she is the only person I can think of who does sci-fi/fantasy equally well), but I attribute this more to me being immature in some ways, rather than any deficiency on Le Guin’s part.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013

but then I was about 11 or so. Maybe my opinions will change.

I read them in high school.

Yeah, looking back, I was probably too young. I still enjoyed them a lot, but many things went over my head.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013

Finished The Cabinet of Curiosities, the third Pendergast book, which I mentioned in another thread, and OMG I love it more than ever.

Sorry about the lapse into internet speak, but—well, these books make me speechless. After all, they’re fairly predictable, and rather silly, but I care about the characters even when they’re obnoxious and the villains are despicable, and the pacing is fantastic, and most of all, no one is safe. In fact

• CommentAuthorDave

^ I know right? I threw the book across the room . . .

. . . and then picked it up and started reading again.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

Finished Torment.

It was named well.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

@Thea: If you think that spoiler in Cabinet was shocking, wait until you get to Cemetery Dance.

rather silly

My threshold for silly was reached while reading Wheel of Darkness. No throwing books across the room because I’m not that melodramatic, but ugh. I’m interested to know what other people think of it.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2013

At the moment I’m stymied by their availability at the library…can’t get Still Life with Crows until the 14th. Given that I just finished Thunderhead your warning frightens me.

My threshold for silly was reached while reading Wheel of Darkness. No throwing books across the room because I’m not that melodramatic, but ugh. I’m interested to know what other people think of it.

That one I think is available, even to more than one copy. I wonder if that’s a hint.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2013

@Nossus

After both Le Guin and Wilde I am ready to say this: you have great taste.

Currently reading Understanding Reality: a Taoist Alchemical Classic by Thomas Cleary.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013

Well thanks man.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2013 edited

I just finished Generation Kill by Evan Wright. I wish I would’ve found this book, like, five years ago. Now I’m watching the miniseries. It’s a seriously good book, if you’ve got any interest in the Marines or the Iraq War or anything related in general. If you haven’t heard of either the book or the series, Evan Wright was an embedded reporter with a group of First Recon Marines who were the first into Iraq. It’s… a really fascinating story, all the more so because it’s completely true.

On a side note, I actually found this book from TVTropes. Yet another discovery made through the power of troping.

I’m halfway through A Confederacy of Dunces and it owns bones.

I just finished Generation Kill by Evan Wright. I wish I would’ve found this book, like, five years ago. Now I’m watching the miniseries. It’s a seriously good book, if you’ve got any interest in the Marines or the Iraq War or anything related in general. If you haven’t heard of either the book or the series, Evan Wright was an embedded reporter with a group of First Recon Marines who were the first into Iraq. It’s… a really fascinating story, all the more so because it’s completely true.

It’s come up in the General TV thread before at least once, but I don’t think it got a ton of discussion. The miniseries was actually the second HBO collaboration between David Simon and Ed Burns… and I’m pretty sure you can guess the first. The TV version owned, but I’ve never gotten around to finding the book.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2013

I’m glad I read it before I watched the series. Otherwise, I think I would’ve found it very hard to follow.

Now that you mention it, I feel like I do recall it coming up before… I should go dig up that part of the thread.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2013

If I hadn’t despised the characters, I don’t think I would have hated The Magicians. But I did, so when I tried to spell ‘hadn’t’, I wrote ‘hated’.

I’m reading Push by Sapphire.

I’m not sure how I like it.

On the one hand, the main character’s life is so ludicrously awful that it’s almost comical (and it’s not supposed to be).

On the other, the main character herself is fairly compelling and believable.

So, I’ve got the new Dresden files book.

Santa Claus is Awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013

Dammit, I haven’t read that one yet.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013

Disappointed by Dance of Death.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013

Santa Claus is Awesome.

SANTA CLAUS IS IN THIS ONE?! I’ve got to read it!

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2013

So, I have a question. Something that’s been bugging me for a while now and I thought I’d get you guys’ take on it. Reading some of the posts here have only brought this to the fore again and again.

When does intelligence contribute to narrative? Or should I say, what makes for a more entertaining book, a clever plot and/or clever characters, or a fun one? At what point is theological narrative counter-intuitive to writing something you want someone to enjoy?

Maybe this isn’t really the crux of the matter for an author. I’ve always held the opinion that as long as you enjoy what you write and it has meaning, then go for it and it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

I’d say a good blend of intelligence and good humor. Over-indulgent intelligence quickly turns into unreadable pretentious schlock, and too much good humor means not enough substance. For example, the Percy Jackson books are really, really derivative. But they’re still pretty fun because they recognize it, poke fun at it, and throw in some intelligent commentary on it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Hmm.

I think both are important factors, but perhaps more important than which is more important is how well done they are. A very, very clever book can be fascinating, if you’re the sort of person who likes mysteries and puzzling out complex stories and characters. But if the author is trying too hard to be clever, then it comes off as pretentious and annoying; see every ranty post we’ve collectively ever made against literary fiction and especially Annie Proulx. At the same time, in a really fun and entertaining book, you can throw logic to the wind and just enjoy the ride, provided you’re the sort of person who can turn off the part of your brain that overanalyzes things (which I sometimes have trouble with). But if you’re trying so hard to be quirky and what-have-you, like Modelland comes across as in the current sporks, it quickly goes past fun to annoying.

And, like Willow said, the best books often combine them both. They’re clever enough to keep you guessing, but stay entertaining, even when dealing with serious things.

Here’s some examples of what I mean:
    An “intelligence”-heavy book, I can’t think of a really good example, because most of the ones I can think of are still very entertaining. I suppose any number of military or spy thrillers could fall into this category, with complex plots and double agents and triple agents and quadruple agents all over the place. Maybe a classic like the Iliad or something, although it’s certainly prone to completely random stuff happening (although that’s another layer of complexity, because that’s the whole plotline about the gods).
    A “fun”-heavy book series is the Oz books, which I mentioned in the Modelland spork comments as being an example of a series that makes absolutely no logical sense by real-world rules. Yet because it’s so darn fun and the characters are neat, you don’t really care.
    Books that combine the two (although more on the fun side of the scale) are the Discworld series. They’re hilarious, but Pratchett makes some very insightful remarks on various things (including the inanity of the world itself) and there’s some quite serious themes, especially in the later books. And Pratchett firmly subscribes to the theory that audiences need to work to catch every nuance.

I made this all up right now, but it feels right. What do you think? I guess the tl;dr version is that I don’t necessarily think one is better or worse, it’s just that either can be done very badly (to make a poor book) or very well (to make a great book).

• CommentAuthorMegaB
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013

Those are very interesting points, thank you Willow, swenson. The problem I have is that I feel writing should be an expression of one’s intent and therein the problem lies. For instance, you have a point to make and you really want to make it, but the only way to do so will change the characters in a way many readers would be dispassionate about. How do you handle that?

It’s like in The Amber Spyglass I guess. Pullman was trying to make the whole story a metaphor about Christian history and loads of my friends who enjoyed the first two books hated it. In such a case, does an author simply write what he wants to write, or does he temper it for his audience?

• CommentAuthorSen

For instance, you have a point to make and you really want to make it, but the only way to do so will change the characters in a way many readers would be dispassionate about. How do you handle that?

Write it anyway. Unless whatever has been happening up until that point doesn’t really warrant any changes. Characters alone aren’t being used to make your point. Most likely, or hopefully, you’re also criticizing their environment, society, etc. to get a statement across and not just having them spout off random observations that don’t make them seem a believable product of their world and influences. That you allow that transformation at all should be more important than what they do transform into. You can hate a character and still love what you’ve read up until then that made them that way.

In such a case, does an author simply write what he wants to write, or does he temper it for his audience?

I don’t know about that particular example, about the Amber Spyglass, but as it would be with any other book, if the sole interest was to sermonize then a negative reaction should be expected. If authors really want to write for themselves, and do that alone, there’s nothing stopping them from doing so and then shutting everything away in a drawer. However personal the matter, depending on the effect they wish to have, authors owe it to themselves to communicate their points in a way that doesn’t make the whole thing feel like poorly disguised preaching. But one’s own wants for the final product doesn’t have to be sacrificed for the sake of achieving a successful interaction between message and reader. And successful does not always have to mean your reader absolutely fell in love with every single word on the page. Even if they do become dispassionate with the character eventually, do they at least understand why it happened? More importantly, did the author make sure such things happened for good reasons?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013 edited

To be quite frank, I’m of the opinion that if the sole reason a person wants to write is to get across some big message, they should just write a nonfiction essay on the subject. I can’t think of a single attempt to write a Message in an Approachable Way that hasn’t failed miserably, whether it’s one of those insipid Christian YA books where God magically solves all your problems or, yes, something like Pullman’s LISTEN TO MY INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT MESSAGE or (another spork example!) Rommel’s books about the eeeevils of democide (although, to be fair, he does have another goal other than the eeeevils of democide—fantasizing about banging a hot Asian chick).

However… if you want to write a great story, and you also want to write about a message or on a particular theme, that’s different. Take Narnia. Yes, they’re all about Christianity. To list every single allegorical element of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe would take a very long time, not even getting into The Magician’s Nephew or The Last Battle. But… Lewis also wanted to write good fantasy fairy tale adventure whatever they are stories. You read about his life (which is quite interesting), you see that from the youngest age, he loved fantasy and wanted to write about far-off worlds. So when he wrote Narnia, it wasn’t just, let’s hammer into everyone’s heads that Jesus is pretty cool, mmkay? It was about writing a great story—that deliberately happened to be about Christianity.

For instance, you have a point to make and you really want to make it, but the only way to do so will change the characters in a way many readers would be dispassionate about. How do you handle that?

I think my answer to this ties in with what I’m saying about Lewis. If to make your point, you have to change the characters or world in an unreasonable way (the misogynistic ladykiller suddenly realizes True Love is the way to go, the wealthy noble irrationally concludes that monarchy is evil and wants a democracy instead, etc.), that’s a bad thing, because you’re sacrificing everything you’ve been building up for the sake of your Message. Instead, you need to make sure the world and characters are ready for the Message before you spring it on them. Make it reasonable for characters to come to their conclusions. Show them changing slowly, just like real people do. Build up to the big moments where everything changes and the Message is hammered home, and I think readers will follow you.

And especially when it comes to characters… even if you carefully build up to their attitudes shifting on such-and-such a point, don’t completely change them afterward. They’re still going to be the same person, they’re probably going to slip back into old attitudes at times, and they’re not going to change everything about themselves just because in one area they’re different. Even if the big change transforms them (let’s say, salvation in a book with a Christian Message), they should still be recognizable.

To be quite frank, I’m of the opinion that if the sole reason a person wants to write is to get across some big message, they should just write a nonfiction essay on the subject.

This times 1,000.

But nobody reads nonfiction essays, or at least not as many as read stories. Good nonfiction should tell a story anyway. Most of the population is imperfectly literate and wouldn't bother with a "nonfiction essay." Besides, "nonfiction essay" is vague, aside from a presumed shortness because the ideas discussed don't last very long without a narrative. Does a nonfiction essay require citations? Where would it be published? I hate citations.
    • CommentAuthorMegaB

Wow, those are exactly the answers I was looking for. Thank you Sen and swenson!

I think, this is actually quite a difficult thing to do in practise. Dystopian fiction is very hard to pull off with meaning and it quickly becomes stale either way. I think you’ve helped me understand this quite a bit though.

Thanks again you two (and Willow of course). Valuable insight indeed.

• CommentAuthorSlyShy
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013

I’m reading Think and Grow Rich which I expect to be as useful as How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Going through John C Wright’s Hermetic Millennia.

It’s like reading a Grant Morrison that’s sober and knows how to crank the awesomeness to a trillion. (yes, that was a bad pun)

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2013

Stares at the image

...So much win…

I thought you said you had too much homework or the tickets were sold out.

SWQ used her ninja powers to attend.

I thought you said you had too much homework or the tickets were sold out.

1) Le Guin > Homework
    2) I got one of the last couple of tickets. Ninja powers indeed.

• CommentAuthorNossus
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2013

This is a really awkward video.

Well, it’s pretty much what it looked like from the seats, except closer.

It’s kind of like My Dinner with Andre — a primarily auditory experience, not a visual one.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2013 edited

If anyone’s thinking about reading Stephen R. Lawhead’s Pendragon Cycle, skip it. I’m almost done with the first book, and I’m just so damn pissed off about the whole thing. The two main characters start out alright, but quickly become Sues. In the chapter I just got through, the title character pretty much turned a guy into a stroke victim because he was being annoying. And this is treated as being funny. I don’t care that the protagonist has literally talked to God, that kind of behavior demonstrates a pettiness that I refuse to put up with.

Edit: It also doesn’t help that the whole thing feels like a piss-poor attempt to refute Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Mists of Avalon, full of shoddy world building, bad history, a romance that makes Anikin and Padme look well-written, an overly binary world view, Easy Evangelism out the wazoo, and a character randomly picking up the Villain Ball because Lawhead couldn’t bother coming up with a decent conflict for part 3.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

If anyone’s thinking about reading Stephen R. Lawhead’s Pendragon Cycle, skip it.

Started it. Got bored and did something else.

I thought it was just me who thought that the series was stupid. I know a lot of people who like it, and think that the characters were good at first, but the moment that someone starts talking to God, I start getting irritated. Then again I wasn’t overly thrilled with Mists of Avalon either for some of the same reasons that I didn’t like the Pendragon Cycle.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2013

I can understand that, but at least in Mists the interaction with the deity in question was more “Who do you think you are, talking about what I want?” than “I’m God and you should worship me because I say so” (at least that I remember).

MZB also didn’t so much say “This religion is right and that one is wrong,” and instead went with “The beliefs are good, but the people pushing them are bad.”

And she had multiple well-developed view point characters with conflicting goals, so no side was portrayed as entirely perfect.

Still, yeah, I really prefer Bernard Cornwell’s take on the story.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

MZB also didn’t so much say “This religion is right and that one is wrong,” and instead went with “The beliefs are good, but the people pushing them are bad.”

Unfortunately I got a little too much of a “Men and Christianity (because is patriarchal)=bad/Women and My Kind of Paganism=good” subtext, but I’ll give that she wasn’t nearly as bad as she was in Hawkmistress or Witchlight. And, as you said, from what I remember about the book, she usually gave her characters understandable motives and reasons for why they did things other than the villain ball and to show that ‘Lol pagans were bad ya’ll. They worshiped demons!’

Lawhead kind of was an insult to attempting to make a rebuttal to Brandon and say that these people weren’t so bad. There were other ways to go about it that didn’t involve talking to God directly, thus catapulting the character into Studom, and shoving beliefs down people’s throats. Like using the actual stories about what happened and why, instead of trumping up a friction that, from what I’ve researched in my History classes, wasn’t as common as people think. But, naturally, the local chiefs getting together to debate about the pros and cons of conversion like adults was far too boring and not preachy enough. We needed to have chats with God.

Still, yeah, I really prefer Bernard Cornwell’s take on the story.

I’ve heard his Warlord trilogy was better.

• CommentAuthorDave

I’m reading Goosebumps and I’m in college (never read them as a child). So far they’re not bad.

^^I loved those! :)

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I’ve heard his Warlord trilogy was better.

I haven’t read the third book yet, but I enjoyed the first two. And while Arthur is called the “Enemy of God,” it’s because he doesn’t take a side in the pagan-Christian conflict, which the more vocal Christian priests don’t particularly like. Instead, Arthur’s going “maybe we should focus on dealing with our actual enemies instead of fighting each other.” Plus, the ‘magic’ tends to be either psychological play-acting or really bizarre and/or fortuitous coincidences.

But if you do give it a read, I’d recommend getting a dead-tree copy, because there’s a list of people and places that you’ll otherwise have to keep straight.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2013 edited

Well, it’s been almost a day, so I feel justified in double-posting.

Finished Taliesin. Nothing in the last few chapters changed my opinion of the book – it’s still a preachy, poorly-researched pile of fail. I’m going to listen to Furies of Calderon now. Maybe Jim Butcher can make it better.

Sharpe will always be Bernard Cornwell’s greatest creation.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2013

:( I like Stephen R Lawhead. Not a big fan of the Grail and Avalon. But I really liked Arthur and Taliesin as well.

• CommentAuthorMegaB

Has anyone read Rhiannon Lassiter’s Hex series? I’m trying to find an ebook version for my iPad but for some reason it’s not available anywhere!

It’s meant to be really good.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

@ Falling: To be fair, most of Taliesin was alright. It’s only the last quarter or so (after Taliesin and Charis leave Ynys Wydrrin) that it gets unbearable. Taliesin got really preachy. It was like a literary Jesus Juke – I came to read about Arthurian legend, not how everyone should be Christians. Also, the whole reason for Taliesin and Chars leaving in the first place struck me as stupid.

And I thought that Hood was okay.

I might go back to his Pendragon Cycle at some point. But for now, I’m going to explore some other takes on the Arthur story.

@ Orlando: I’m planning on getting to Sharpe soon. I’ve watched some of the movies, though. Seeing young Sean Bean is weird.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalling
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2013 edited

That’s fair enough. To be honest, I can’t remember the end of Taliesin, but I really liked the fall of Atlantis tied into Faerie stories.

I dunno about poor research. I know he was generally basing it on Mabinogion and the History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey Monmouth, but I don’t think it was meant to be pure history.
    In any event, I think Arthur is the best of the series.

I personally didn’t think it was preachy although certainly Christianity is woven thoroughout. I don’t know, do you think religion can be in the foreground of a story without being preachy?

I have the first of the Sharpe series and I quite enjoyed it. Haven’t found any others so far, but I really, really enjoyed the TV series by the same name.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

The stuff with Atlantis was okay, I just wish that there’d been more focus on the war. It also feels really out-of-place here, what with it being contemporaneous to what’s going on in Britain. I honestly think it would have been better if everything on Atlantis was in another book.

I know it’s not supposed to be straight-up history (the inclusion of magic kinda futzes with that), but it’s still set in Roman Britain (where there’s people writing this stuff down), as opposed to sub-Roman Britain (where most records were written centuries after the fact). It really bothered me when a group of Saxons joined up with Picts and Irish to attack northern Wales. That just makes no logical sense.

I think you can have religion as a central part of a story without getting preachy, but it’d be really difficult. You have to treat it with respect, not treat characters with differing beliefs as bad and/or stupid, not have religion be the sole determining factor in whether a person is good or bad, allow the protagonists to have flaws, struggle, and possibly fail, and probably a lot of other things I can’t think of at the moment.

In short, it’s hard to do, and even then you’re probably going to offend somebody. Better to just avoid it in my opinion. :)

And what do you mean by “the first of the Sharpe series”? Are you going by publishing order, or by when they’re set?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

a group of Saxons joined up with Picts and Irish to attack northern Wales

Wait, during Roman Britain? You know, like a half-century before the Saxons actually arrived? Was this some sort of alternate timeline in which the Saxons came over early? And if so, why did the Romans let them? Or did they just decide one day they were bored of hanging out in Old Saxony and just sailed on over to help out the Picts and Irish? And why were the Irish Celts interested anyway? All they ever did in the real world was raid on occasion for slaves, as far as I know.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I’m not so much bothered by Saxons being mentioned, because from what I remember they’re just raiding, which they actually did. The Romans even built a series of forts to defend the so-called Saxon Shore.

Of course, said forts were along the southern and eastern coast of Britain – you know, where the Saxons were actually a threat.

But, yeah, my initial reaction was to go, “That’s pretty far out of the way for a raid. And why are they teaming up with the Picts and Irish anyway?”

And as for the Irish, they did establish a kingdom in southern Wales after the Romans left. But again, why they’re working with the Picts and Saxons, I have no idea.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Ah, okay. I haven’t read the book, so I don’t know the situation… raiding makes more sense (still, like you said, Wales?). Still, it does seem odd, with little historical basis. I’m not sure why two groups of Celts (the Irish and Picts) would team up with a totally different group from a totally different part of the world against a different group of Celts (some tribe of Britons lived in Wales at that time, I’m pretty sure? They were Celts, I know that much).

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

The guys they attack in the book are Britons, but they’re also allies of the Romans, and I believe the Irish and Picts teamed up to take down the Roman fortifications.

That and, well, plot.

I really, really tried to read The Skin Map by him, but it was not very engaging. I didn’t know he had an Arthur series, and that sounds awesome. Besides the slight preaching in it, is it good? I am realizing I am not nearly the history nerd I thought I was, hearing people talk about Saxons invading and such, so I don’t think his historical nonsense would bother me.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2013

Most of Taliesin is good, if not terribly exciting. There’s no single plot/conflict tying the whole thing together, apart from it just being a record of the protagonsts’ lives, which can be interesting. If the last few chapters had been cut, I would have enjoyed the book a whole lot more.

Give it a shot; read the first few chapters on amazon or thumb through a copy if you can find one.

Finally finished "The Hunger Games" about a bijillion years late. I really love Katniss Everdeen. I enjoyed the flipped gender roles and the games were interesting; it's just a shame that I didn't really buy the whole dictatorship thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013

I’m stuck in The Book of the Dead; I just can’t get into it, I can’t care. I really liked the Pendergast series when Pendergast wasn’t really the central character. After all, it’s not like he has a personality, because he’s just your generic Sherlock Holmes expy with literary-albinism and a Southern accent.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013 edited

Yeah, Pendergast vs. Diogenes books weren’t my favorite at all. I did finish the trilogy, and there were a few interesting parts, but they definitely weren’t a result of Pendergast being compelling in any way.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2013

Oh does the series move on then? Because that’s part of my ‘stuckness’ and if they go back to the pattern of the earlier books I’d have a much easier time plowing through this one.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

They have written Pendergast books beyond that trilogy, both standalone and another trilogy about Pendergast’s wife. I read the standalones, and thought that they weren’t as good as the Relic duo, Cabinet, and Still Life With Crows (my personal favorite, despite some questionable meditation sequences.)

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Just finished reading the first Dresden Files book. As with A Game of Thrones, I’m left with the feeling of, my word I’m an idiot for not reading this already.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Oh, swenson, you have no idea what you’re in for. Wait until you get to Dead Beat. I won’t say anything more.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2013

Seriously, that series gets more and more awesome as time goes on.

•  
      CommentAuthorlilyWhite
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2013

Just finished Patrick Weekes’s The Palace Job. The man’s a genius when it comes to humour and characters; the book lived up to all of my expectations from Mass Effect (and given that he wrote Mordin Solus, those expections were very high).

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013

Republic of Thieves finally has a release date.

I can now take Scott Lynch off my “Waiting impatiently for the next book” list.

• CommentAuthorDave
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013

^ Well, finally. Now to get Patrick Rothfuss to put out his next book before I die from withdrawal.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013

So I just finished Dead Beat. I think I can safely say that is the single most awesome climax ever, of all time.

• CommentAuthorDave

^ It only gets more awesome.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013 edited

I’m not sure about that, but it at least maintains a high awesomeness quotient.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Yeah, just about every page I am struck again by just how incredibly cool Harry Dresden is. Especially when he’s being a dork.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

Especially when he’s being a dork.

Hear, hear. It really makes him a more fun character. Particularly when you match him up against other Urban Fantasy protagonists. You really end up rooting for him.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

The best part is that his geekiness is contagious. Everyone he knows gets in on it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013

Oh my goodness, yes. The first time he made a Star Trek, Star Wars, Tolkien, etc. etc. reference, I about died. I’m only surprised that there wasn’t a BSG reference, you know about

But then, considering his penchant for blowing up technology, perhaps he just hasn’t been able to catch up on newer TV shows.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013

Pretty much, yeah. I’m reading Cold Days, and at one point Bob makes a Firefly reference. Harry isn’t happy that he doesn’t get it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013

Well. I can safely say that Changes did not end how I expected. And Ghost Story did not begin how I expected. I am now somewhat concerned about how it ends.

Just finished reading blueeyedboy by Joanne Harris. I don’t know if I should be creeped out or tickled by the coincidences.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013 edited

Just stick with it, swenson. The end of Changes and all of Ghost Story are… weird. It will make sense in the end.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013

Has anyone here ever read the book The Road by Cormac McCarthy? I was reading it and I came across this in a conversation between the main character and another minor character:

Given the rather depressing situation of the whole story, I can sort of understand what the old man (Ely) believes about being the last man alive in a post-apocalyptic world, where there’s cannibals, murder, death and hopelessness all around. It’s a world where only the strongest can survive (either by killing and eating each other or stealing/foraging for food). However, I don’t get why being on the road with the last god would be a terrible thing. I thought that it would actually be a good thing because hey, can’t the god make things better one way or another?

Anyone got an opinion as to why it would be a terrible thing to be on the road with the last god?

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

Depends on the god I guess. There were some gods that I would like to avoid like the plague.

• CommentAuthorNo One

Finished up John C Wright’s Hermetic Millennia.

I liked it, but MAN the ending was one of the worst violations of rhythm I’ve ever seen. I’m seriously recommending that you read this, AFTER the third book is released.

The reading list for the English course on literature and science I want to take next semester:

- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?NeuromancerFrankensteinThe Time Machine

SO EXCITED

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013

Oh, awesome. That sounds like a fun class!

That sounds really fun, SWQ. I love The Time Machine.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013 edited

I’m going to have to buy this book. And the two follow-ups.

•  
      CommentAuthorThea
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2013

I just finished The Curse of Chalion and I have no words. Engrossing in a way few books manage to live up to anymore. Just fantastic. Now all I need to do is focus enough to actually write a review.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013 edited

I just started Dracula for my Victorian Lit. class.
    So far it is mainly Jonathan Harker’s comments on the inn, the local people, and what he had for dinner. But I’m only a couple pages in.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013

Yeah, Dracula is a bit slow to start. You have to put up with a lot of boring minutia when it’s all supposed to be diary entries and newspaper clippings. On the other hand, that does add a certain sense of realism to it.