Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

Have you read Markus Zusak’s other books? Marv and Ed are great. Audrey too.

The best way to appreciate truly beautiful prose (in my opinion) is to read it aloud or listen to it on cassette. Better than a cassette is to listen to the story read aloud by someone you love.

General question for the thread: Do you or did you have someone you love to read aloud to you? Do you read aloud to those you love? This is one of the most wonderful ways to experience literature, poetry in particular

I don’t normally read aloud because I can focus better reading to myself. However, I did read a couple of chapters of The Book Thief to my grandma.

Have you read Markus Zusak’s other books?

I have not. I might want to at some point now, though.

I am the Messenger is really great, but the end will probably induce a WTF.

The Book of Three. I love this one so, so much and now I have this huge hankering to read all the other parts of the Prydain chronicles.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012

The others are equally good. That’s one of my favorite fantasy series.

I am the Messenger is really great, but the end will probably induce a WTF.

Yeah, I agree.

Do you or did you have someone you love to read aloud to you? Do you read aloud to those you love? This is one of the most wonderful ways to experience literature, poetry in particular

My dad read out loud to me until I was around 13, and then I thought I was too old. He read all the Harry Potter books, the Narnia books, Lord of the Rings, and God knows what else. He had a great voice for it, too.

Personally, I’m bad at reading out loud. My voice is annoying as hell, and I always trip over my words. I do like to read parts out loud to myself, though, if no one is listening and the prose is beautiful. (or with poetry).

I listen to books on CD sometimes. And sometimes poetry (I’ve got a whole bunch of TS Eliot poems read by the man himself). It’s hard to find good narrators sometimes, but if you do, they totally make the whole book.

Reading now:

Fullmetal Alchemist 13.

And re-re-re-re-re reading Les Miserables.

I’ve only got 200 pages left. It absolutely is my favourite book of all time.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012

Not really a book, but a short story, but whatever. I read Neil Gaiman’s take on Snow White, Snow, Glass, Apples. Nice that it makes reference to the original, while adding a few new twists. For example, the princess (she’s never named) is some kind of vampire. Did I mention it’s told from the queen’s perspective?

Also, given the multiple movies/shows based on Snow White made recently, I have to wonder why this hasn’t been adapted.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012

Good Lord, that’s horrific.

I read the Dosadi Experiment by Frank Herbert. Been too long since I sank into some solid old-school SF.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoldorm
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012

I got around to The Great Gatsby, and absolutely loved it. Any shortcomings fade before the wonderful ending, anad that perfect final line.

Snow, Glass, Apples looks good; thanks for the link!

Apep, I love Neil Gaiman’s take on Snow White! I wish he’d do some more fairy tale re-writes.

The Black Cauldron. Great book, not so great movie.

Now I’m starting Jane Eyre, which I’m really enjoying so far. Next on my list: The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy. Hope I won’t be let down by all the hype.

Jane Eyre is most excellent. One of my favourite narrators in literature. Much better than CATHERINE and HEATHCLIFF. Now I know you shouldn’t compare sisters in the flesh, the Web, or the grave; but still. Jane is so much better.

Have you met Mr Rochester yet?

Yes. I actually don’t dislike him as much as I expected.

Just finished Fullmetal Alchemist 16.

NEED.
    NOW.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2012

I believe you can read FMA online?

I believe you can read FMA online?

I thought that wasn’t legal.

(and I thought that online translations can be kind of unreliable)

• CommentAuthorNo One

I thought that wasn’t legal.

Really? I just read all my FMA chapters online because my local public library only had the first 2 books in the series. I wasn’t aware that it would be illegal. But if it was illegal, then wouldn’t manga websites be shut down? confused

Online translations can be somewhat iffy at times, but almost all the mangas I’ve read online had pretty good translations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

Bought a good-shape copy of Game of Thrones for 25 cents. Time to see what all the hype is on.

Is it possible that The High King has a higher deaths per page ratio than Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? Probably not, but sure feels like it.

I am double-posting because this book merits a double-post.

The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy

READ IT, ALL OF YOU. It is seriously one of the best I’ve read in my life and no one on here has ever mentioned it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPuppet
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012

Bought a good-shape copy of Game of Thrones for 25 cents. Time to see what all the hype is on.

Just my $0.02:

Make sure you treat it as a book and nothing else. I’m not offended or bothered by all the sex, gore and messed up stuff that happens in the series, but a lot of people are. If you ever feel that way just remember that it’s a book and keep reading. There were times where I wanted to just put the book down because it was that character’s chapter, or the story wasn’t progressing, or something else entirely, but I just kept reading and got through it. A Game of Thrones is a really good book, but to truly appreciate it you have to be patient and persistent.

Trust me, it’s well worth your time.

^ I would say that for the first three books at least.

So, ready for the 8th Harry Potter book this Wednesday?

What are you talking about, Marquis?

There is a new book featuring Harry Potter coming this Wednesday.

You mean the one by Alan Moore that I just Googled?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2012 edited

First: vol. 3 of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century isn’t commming out until July. And Mr. Potter may or may not be the Antichrist (well, “Moonchild”, but whatever) in it. It wouldn’t be the first time Alan Moore’s turned a hero into a bad guy (see: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier), so that’ll be something to watch.

Second: Rowling’s next book (which doesn’t appear to have anything to do with Harry Potter) is comming out in September.

Third: the only thing I can find involving Harry Potter and June of 2012 is a mention of a PS3 peripheral call the Book of Spells. This might be what Marquis is talking about.

Oh, it appears that I was off by a week or two. Sorry.

I finished Guy Gavriel Kay’s Fionavar Tapestry series. If you like high fantasy, I think this is the best example outside of Tolkien. Which I believe was Kay’s intent. Anyway, it’s definitely recommended.

Now I’ve moved on to (another) attempt with Les Miserables. Standing by for glomp from Inspector…

Now I’ve moved on to (another) attempt with Les Miserables. Standing by for glomp from Inspector…

GLOMP

FAVOURITE BOOK IS FAVOURITE.

Sorry, I feel really strongly about that book.

Just finished 21 of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Only a few more to go.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoupnazi
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012

On a whim I decided to check Tumblr for the tag WondLa, and I found that A Hero for WondLa is out and I literally (as in, I physically did it) did a little spasm. And it’s at the library! I’ve now stopped procrastinating on reading (and therefor getting those books you guys suggested to me oh-so-long ago) and will read the crap out of this book, as well as the ones you guys recommended to me.

Anyone read Seraphina? It’s a YA fantasy book about dragons, and on both the front and back covers are glowing testimonials by CP. Those alone should make it worth a look.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012

...Just finished Hush Hush

IT’S A TRAP!

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012

its not a book, But I just read this disturbing short story called The Cold Equations. Anyone heard of it?

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012

Recently on of my sisters has gotten into this series call the “Kingdom Series” by Chuck Black. She loaned me the first three books to read, and they are so bad! Not in a Glo Tesch kinda way where it’s a hilariously funny bad. But bad all the same. They’re only about 120 pages each, and they try so desperately hard to be a Christian allegory and just fail. I am seriously considering borrowing the first one again and sporking it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

I am seriously considering borrowing the first one again and sporking it.

Do it! Do it!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

@ Minoan Ferret: I looked at the book’s page on Amazon, and Tamora Pierce gave it a thumbs up. And even though I’ve only read one of her books, I trust her opinion more than CP’s.

@Fell_Blade: Hey, why not?

As for me, I’m about half way through Leviathan Wakes (hard sci-fi space opera, pretty good), and I’m working through Mists of Avalon (liking it more as I go on, though I have to wonder why Bradley had to tie her British paganism back to Atlantis).

Also, working through City of Bones when I can bring myself to. I decided I should finish it first before sporking it.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot

@ Armada: Yes, I know the Equations. Not a warm and fuzzy fireside story, to say the least.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

@Pryotra,
    I probably will, although I’m in the middle of some other projects right now. I’m getting reviews for the Eragon and New Moon books together, and then the Transformers movie. But after finishing the third book in that series, I’m going to have to spork at least the first one. I actually found myself getting really frustrated reading them because of the poor handling of the allegory.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012

Planning on taking a copy of Twilight to the rifle range, anyone think it would be a good idea to use it as a target and post the results?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012

Hahaha, yes please! Take lots of pictures!

What will you be shooting? Is it a paperback or hardcover book? I’m curious as to how far a bullet will penetrate a book that thick.

•  
      CommentAuthorInkblot
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012

Please take a bazooka.

Planning on taking a copy of Twilight to the rifle range, anyone think it would be a good idea to use it as a target and post the results?

Yes! It could even make an awesome article if you do Eragon and 7 Bridges too, all with different calibers to… test the caliber of the writing. Bad pun, yeah. Still, 7B is only $5 on Amazon.

• CommentAuthorDeborah

I just finished Inkdeath, after staying awake till 3:30 am because I couldn’t sleep. I liked it much better than I expected to.

I also finished The Thief Lord, which I liked as well, just not quite as much. The merry-go-round was cool.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

@TheArmourer – that is really quite cool! I love learning random things like that. You always hear the sappy stories about how a Bible/packet of love letters/stack of photos/whatever stopped a bullet, but it’s neat to see the truth.

How thick is a standard copy of Twilight, anyway? A couple of inches, right?

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I was at B&N today with time to kill so I picked up Battle Royale on a whim and read around the first hundred pages. The only thing I knew about it was that a few of my friends got mad that Suzanne Collins made it big by “copying the storyline”. My initial thoughts:

1. It’s not like The Hunger Games at all.
    2. Maybe some of my first impressions were marred by the fact that it’s a translated piece of work, but the story seemed to start really abruptly and the amount of infodumping in the first chapter alone, while not unwarranted, was pretty intense.
    3. Brains, blood, guts. At first the graphic violence was jarring but from what I’ve heard it’s a common theme throughout the book so I guess you get used to it?
    4. I was mildly intrigued.

^^Weird. I was at Barnes and Noble today and looked over Battle Royale. I didn’t buy it because I have several other books to read that I actually have, but I do want to read it at some point.

Has anyone read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson? I just finished it and I really liked the world building he put into the novel. I know the general consensus on II is that Sanderson is a pretty mediocre author, but I thought this book, though it had its faults, was really engrossing and fairly well-written. Any opinions?

I really want to get my hands on Maus, especially after going to Dachau. But first I have to finish Les Miserables.

I really want to get my hands on Maus

I’ve been meaning to read that….

I’ve been reading The Hunger Games books. I really like them, but it seems like they’re missing a little something. I also don’t like how Collins skips chunks of time in the course of a couple of sentences. They’re really engaging, though, and the world is interesting. I actually would like more description of the world.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2012

Damnit. I’m off to camp and I never got a chance to shoot the book.

• CommentAuthorSen
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2012 edited

I really like them, but it seems like they’re missing a little something.

I only just started the second one, so I can’t yet say anything on the whole series, but the first book read like a first draft for me. It had that bare essentials feel to it. You’re supposed to go back and immerse yourself into every event a lot more than you were able to the first time round and try to do all the scenes and the characters’ emotions justice.

I feel that Collins never really bothered to do that. You’d expect it to be more compelling, but I found it to be very unoriginal in conveying any form of pain or loss. Also on how the character and others feel about those in charge. The them and the us. She could have done that a whole lot better but her descriptions on any rebellious feelings were very tired. Almost a bit lazy. The idea for the books are very original though, and that’s what’s got me interested. I’d also like to see a lot more of the world.

but it seems like they’re missing a little something.

I thought the pacing was off. And that Collins went way out of her way to make sure that Katniss had morally clean hands while killing other kids (by making them all jerks and having them kill off the only one that was not a jerk, protecting her from a potentially Spartacus situation).

I think that what Sen said is mostly what bugged me. Collins likes to skim over stuff. It’s like she gets tired of writing about a certain scene, so she just decides to skip to the next big event by saying “Nothing really happened after that. Let’s back to the action.” I just finished the second book, and I still don’t know what all the districts do.

Also, particularly in the first book, I wasn’t that attached to any of the characters. I was interested in what would happen next, but I didn’t care that much when the Big Sad Death occurred. It happened too quickly after the introduction of that particular character to have a lot of impact on me. I did like a couple of random secondary characters in Catching Fire, though.

I thought the pacing was off.

This goes along with her skipping huge chunks of time in the course of a couple of sentences. That got on my nerves a bit.

And that Collins went way out of her way to make sure that Katniss had morally clean hands while killing other kids

I agree. It took away a lot of the moral grey area that could have been really interesting. Also, Peeta is irritatingly selfless.

I still like the books overall (so far). I think they are engaging, and they’re really quick reads. I really like either of the twist endings that they’ve had, though, because they seemed too unrealistic and made the whole thing seem unreal.

EDIT:
    I also think someone important needs to die. It would up the stakes and maybe force the emotion to be better.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2012 edited

I think you might like the third book, then. Some of those criticisms are addressed in it, in particular the characters’ emotions.

EDIT: Also, I have a terrible confession to make. Because of the Fifty Shades of Grey spork, I was like “Well… I wonder how terrible these things could really be?” And I read the first two books. I don’t think I can make it through the third. I’m not even going to try. Yes, they’re terrible, just as terrible as everyone says they are. The only reason I made it through the first two is because reading them goes very quickly, due to me skimming the repetitive bits.

To sum up why they are so terrible, well… oh boy. I could do a whole article on it, although I’m not sure I want to admit that publicly that I read this trash. But to very succinctly sum it up (and without wrecking upcoming sporks), here’s my reviews of the first two books:

Fifty Shades of Grey: So. Boring. I know it’s a romance novel, and that means the focus is on the relationship, not the action, and I know it’s also erotica and that means the focus is on the sex scenes, but it is just so boring. Nothing happens! You know how Twilight got like three hundred pages in and then the plot arrives? In Fifty Shades, the plot NEVER arrives! There’s just “oh boy, Christian is hot!” “oh boy, let’s have sex!” “oh no, Christian is scary!” “oh no, let’s have sex again!” There’s just nothing going on. At all. And I want to throw Christian out a window.

Fifty Shades Darker: Also so. Boring. Worse than the first book, in fact, because several times, the reader is teased with the idea that a plot might be arriving, that there might be a genuine conflict or outside story, but every single time it is quickly and easily resolved, with no lasting effects whatsoever. This happens like four times, and it’s one of the worst indicators of Mary Sue Syndrome—nothing bad can happen to Christian and Ana. Any time it looks like anything bad might happen, instantly it’s fixed. Christian improves vaguely in this, but the author tries to excuse away all his many issues by being like “oh, well, he’s screwed up emotionally and mentally, that makes everything OK”. So I still want to pitch him through plate glass. And it’s ludicrously repetitive: Christian and Ana have sex. Ana asks some dumb question or does something Christian doesn’t like. Christian gets mad. Ana gets all upset and weepy and thinks he will hate her forever. Christian assures her he doesn’t. Then they have sex again. And the sex is repetitive and boring too, which is a rather impressive feat.

If you’ve been reading the spork, you haven’t met them yet, but I would also like to take Ana’s subconscious and “inner goddess” out back and shoot them in the head. It would be doing the world a favor. A really huge one.

I think you might like the third book, then. Some of those criticisms are addressed in it, in particular the characters’ emotions.

Oh good. I mean, I was excited to read the third one anyway because, the books are excited and interesting, but it’s good to know that it might actually be an improvement as well.

Ana’s subconscious and “inner goddess”

So… those are actually characters? Really?

“inner goddess”

bursts out laughing

Seriously?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2012

Yes. I kid you not. They’re not real characters in the sense of characters other than Ana interacting with them, but Ana mentions them all. The. Time. The “inner goddess” is the sex-crazed one and the subconscious is… well… she’s kind of whatever convenient emotion she needs to be, without consistent characterization. Kind of like Kate.

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012 edited

I just got a copy of Inkheart at a used bookstore. I absolutely love the cover art!

I also got a copy of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and the first Harry Potter book as a present for my sister.

My reading list for my English class: Paradise Lost, Canterbury Tales, poetry of Donne and Spenser. I’m excited, but very, very nervous.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012

SWQ, I would feel the same way! Sounds like an awesome class, though.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012

Ah The Canterbury Tales. Porn for the high middle ages. If you end up reading the Miller’s Tale, be prepared. The Squire’s tale is pretty funny, particularly when the Host tells him to stop because his story is going nowhere.

Sounds like you got a good list. I’m a little surprised that they don’t have you reading Beowulf since this sounds like Brit Lit 1.

I’m a little surprised that they don’t have you reading Beowulf since this sounds like Brit Lit 1.

ME TOO. Honestly I’m glad, because as far as mythology goes, Beowulf always struck me as really boring. (I never actually read it, so I may be wrong.)

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012

Having had to read the story four times, once because I thought I should know it and every other time because I was forced to, it kind of depends on your view of it. While there is plenty of action in it (including our hero nearly beating a monster to death with the monster’s own arm) the tone can be pretty dry. If you come into it expecting it to be exciting, you’ll be sadly disappointed. If you play ‘spot the reference and see things that Tolkien used’, it can be pretty fun.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

D:

I love Beowulf! Okay, so it’s not like the most exciting writing style ever, but I dunno, something about it has always appealed to me. I liked it better than the Iliad, to be honest—while the Iliad is much bigger in scope and has a lot more people, it’s all a bit out there. Beowulf seemed more… grounded to me. Which I know is a very strange thing to say about an epic poem about a mythological hero killing a couple of descendants of Cain and a dragon. I guess because the gods aren’t showing up every ten minutes to do random stuff.

^ I don’t know, having been introduced to Indian epics like the Mahabharatha at a really young age, which has the big scope plus the relative non-intervention of gods, I feel spoiled now. :)

But playing spot-the-reference does sound like fun!

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’ve never read any Indian epics, so I can’t compare. Perhaps I should take it up. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

I’ve read the Mahabharatha, but honestly, I like Beowulf better. Maybe I read a bad translation though.

And the Iliad.

I…kind of like the intervention of gods. It made the Iliad way more fun that it would have been if it was just ‘Achilles is whining because the girl he raped was given back to her dad. Oh look, Achilles’ boyfriend got killed.’

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I didn’t dislike the intervention of the gods, exactly (it’s kind of hilarious how they’re all like “nope, Zeus, we’re not going to intervene at all” and then they ALL intervene), just in the end I liked Beowulf more. Both are great, though. That goes without saying. _

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012 edited

Sean Heaney’s translation of Beowulf (the lyrical beauty between Tolkien and which to which Paolini strives) is the worst translation. I much prefer the translation available of Project Gutenberg (Gummere’s translation), it retains so much more of the wordplay and rhythm.

The best way to read any translated poems like that is side-by-side, I think, even if you can’t read the original language.

LO, praise of the prowess of people-kings
    of spear-armed Danes, in days long sped,
    we have heard, and what honor the athelings won!
    Oft Scyld the Scefing from squadroned foes,
    from many a tribe, the mead-bench tore,
    awing the earls. Since erst he lay
    friendless, a foundling, fate repaid him:
    for he waxed under welkin, in wealth he throve,
    till before him the folk, both far and near,
    who house by the whale-path, heard his mandate,
    gave him gifts: a good king he!

Hwæt! We Gardena in geardagum,
    þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
    hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
    monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,
    egsode eorlas. Syððan ærest wearð
    feasceaft funden, he þæs frofre gebad,
    weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,
    oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra
    ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
    gomban gyldan. þæt wæs god cyning!

I just think the ability to compare the rhythm and form of the original with the translation makes it easier to engage with. It might just be me.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

That’s a much better translation then my version. Mine just starts with ‘LISTEN!’ and it’s rather jarring in the rhythm.

Paopao should probably read some more versions of the poem. Maybe he’d realize just how clunky it feels. Particularly since he doesn’t have Tolkien’s verbal firepower.

Maybe I read a bad translation though.

Yeah, I can’t speak for that. I never actually read it, I just know the stories. Or at least I used to, it’s really complex and I’ve forgotten a lot. But now I feel like I should try Beowulf, and I might change my mind.

And now a question: I’m re-reading One Hundred Years of Solitude, and I’d be indebted to anyone who can explain exactly why Amaranta is willing to poison Rebeca over Pietro Crespi. I know it’s unrequited love, but Amaranta takes the whole thing a bit far.

I finished Mockingjay. I think it was a pretty big improvement over the first two. It still seemed to lack a little polish (or something), but there was more substance there, and the people seemed more real. It seems like a lot of people don’t like it as much as the other two, and my only guess for that would be that it’s because it’s so different (while still not being that different, in my opinion). I didn’t mind the ending either.

On a side note, now that I’ve read all of the Hunger Games (which is in present tense), writing in past tense is awkward for me, and I keep slipping into present tense accidentally and have to go back and correct it. It’s a really strange sensation.

Next up Life of Pi.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012

I didn’t mind the ending either.

I was rather satisfied with the ending. It was happy enough without tasting like diabetes. I agree though, there was a kind of unpolished feel to Mockingjay.

I for one have never been fond of the tense through. I’ve just never liked present tense for whatever reason.

I’ve just never liked present tense for whatever reason.

I don’t usually either, and I very rarely write in it, but I got used to it reading three present tense books back to back, and then it was making me write in present tense. Like some kind of weird muscle memory.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

That’s an interesting thing to bring up, because no joke, I was halfway through the second book before I noticed it was present tense. Sometimes, present tense is jarring, but in the Hunger Games books, I think it’s handled quite well. It’s probably the best writing I’ve ever read that was present tense. When I think of it, I tend to think of poorly written fanfiction. I personally can’t write in present tense at all, I just think my writing sounds awful (even more awful than usual, anyway).

Maus was very good. Merits a reread.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada

The present tense writing was alright. What I absolutely couldn’t stand was the rest of the book. Collins exposited over every key event and violates every rule on showing and not telling, Katniss does nothing but mope, take morphine, and be loved by her people for some reason, the ending didn’t wrap up anything and left me angry, and there were plot gaps big enough to fly the Orion through. those are the problems I pulled off the top of my head alone.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012

I just finished reading The Hunger Games for the second time. I actually liked it even better this go round, although sometimes the first person narrative seemed off, like she was trying to make it conversational and give Katniss a voice but the sentence structure was just weird. Anyway, still really enjoyed it and actually really liked Katniss in this book. If I remember right she got worse as the series went on though. I did find a sentence that would rival Paolini’s “They shrank back, motionless” line:

“Petrified, I lunge for him…” (pg. 347)

I don’t think “petrified” means what you think it means, Collins.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada

its like Eragon’s “They drew back motionlessly” remarks.

Those mistakes I think are forgivable for a first time writer like Pao because of how easy it is to overlook them and get caught up in the moment you’re writing. For Collins who is a veteran author, I think its a sign of poor editing.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade

Agreed. While I liked it, I think it definitely needed some more editing.

Game over man.

Game over man.

Nuke the book from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012

Screw that. I’m ordering a full exterminatus, followed up by an inquisition.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Isn’t it usually the other way around? Whose the Inquisition going to torture interrogate?

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada

I’m assuming some elements of the cult made it off the planet, requiring an inquisitorial force to track them down. I’m not sure whether I’ll need Grey Knights or Sisters of Battle though.

On the actual subject of books: Founding Brothers is a great read for anyone who’s interested in history. Even if you don’t find American history particularly stimulating (like me), it’s still very thought-provoking.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada

Thank you SWQ for re-railing this discussion.

I’m reading Life of Pi, and I really want to get to the raft part already.

•  
      CommentAuthorAvidAbey
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2012 edited

Recently read The Dispossessed, a classic by Ursula K. Le Guin. Sort of a planetary romance about an anarcho-syndicalist physicist who travels from his semi-utopian home to a very capitalist planet. It’s absolutely fascinating, filled with a million of philosophical tidbits.

And a good historical book, since I heard the subject, is 1491 by Charles C. Mann. It tries to survey the major pre-Columbian cultures of the Americas, from their history, technology, organization, all the way to their susceptibility to European invasion. Mann is a science journalist, so the book is cross-disciplinary, really snappy and thought-provoking, pretty much at the same time.

•  
      CommentAuthorTheArmada
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2012

I am looking for any slow building character dramas out there, anyone have any recommendations? If it exists a science fiction one would be a plus.

I’ve heard good things about 1491. I think it may be assigned as school reading in places, because I keep seeing it prominently displayed with other books that tend to be summer reading.

•  
      CommentAuthorAvidAbey
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2012 edited

It was indeed one of the assigned texts for the introductory Latin American history course at my university, which is where and why I got it, but it’s also pretty popular in its own right.

•  
      CommentAuthorAvidAbey
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012

Currently reading Fall of Giants by Ken Follett, a historical fiction epic set before and during WWI. It’s okay; more of an airport read. Especially since it’s historical fiction, there’s a good of telling and “As you know…” in the narration, but the story is interesting enough to make you carry on. Unfortunately this is the best thing the book has going for it, that element of “What comes next?” which is often the least interesting point of a book (as far as second reads, especially).

• CommentAuthorDeborah
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012

I’m trying to finish Fire Bringer before I go back to school.

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2012

Tangentially related, but Deborah’s post above reminded me of this:

which occurred a few days ago.

That’s awesome, Taku.

I just finished The Outsiders. I didn’t much care for it.

I’m starting The Canterbury Tales in Middle English. It’s actually pretty fun so far, and I’m enjoying reading it in the original words. It’s so interesting to see what’s remained the same in our language and what’s changed over all the centuries. It would lose a lot if I just read a modernized ‘translation’.

•  
      CommentAuthorFell_Blade
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2012

Finally got around to reading Ender’s Game. Now that was what The Hunger Games should have been.

Reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

Richard Dawkins is awesome.